Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

darnon posted:

Scale has some new Fluor paints that I've been considering trying.

I picked them up on a whim, they take a couple of coats over white to get an even finish (at least the ones I've used so far) but that's via regular brush. I painted these glowy little bastards with them:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BveYj-pBFVp/

That's the green, orange and purple with GW washes for shading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Sab669 posted:

What exactly is the difference between an ink and a wash?

As far as I understand it, washes are thinned down a lot more. In general:

Inks are better at glazing, where you want to tint an entire surface.

Washes are better for shading, where you just want to darken recesses and leave the main surfaces largely untouched.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I also painted a large angry robot. It's not as nice as Booley's but it is larger and angrier at least :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

What's that barnacle troll thing it's a really nice mini?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Gloomspite-Gitz-Dankhold-Troggoth-2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I've found army painter to be a mixed bag so far. The 3 base washes (Dark, Strong, Soft) are pretty drat good, most of the coloured washes are fine but I've had some issue with the purple one acting more like a glaze at times without a bunch of extra thinning.

The paints I've used have been mostly fine. Plate mail is a good solid metal. I've had some issues with red and yellow being absurdly thin but I could just have a bad batch.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Marzipan Pig posted:

So close and yet so far.

Not a bad amount of progress for almost 3 years :D

http://lethemonster.blogspot.com/

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crosspost from the Oath Thread, I finished painting up my Eschers:

Plus this angry lady to go with them (she's been painted a while but I only just got around to taking pics):

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I love Klukva's stuff, once I'm back in gainful employment it'll be hard not throwing them some money for their not-Darksiders stuff. Kinda wish they were in 28mm scale though, they'd make excellent character minis for D&D.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 1, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Marzipan Pig posted:

Is his crotch distractingly shiney? I can't decide if I need to tone down the big mechanical crotch.

It'll be fine as is if you're using the armour plate, otherwise it could do with griming up a bit.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Two Beans posted:

There's nothing special about the primer. They're just off-white with one being warm toned and the other being cold toned.

I thought they had a slight satin finish too to help the contrast flow?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zaodai posted:

I feel like the Salamanders would be your goto Gay Pride Chapter. What with being the most caring for regular mortals, and also due to being, you know... flaming. :flame:

Nah, surely the Dark Angels. What with being literally gay and everything :D

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

Thanks for the advice guys!

Cross-posting with 40K thread;

More things to paint! My father has worked with Silver Hake for the majority of his career, so I thought it would be fun to go with them as inspiration:

Any advice on how I can recreate this?

Inks / Contrast over Silver would likely be the easiest method. Maybe try the gem paints too? That's what I used for my semi-recent Earth Fish:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Fake James posted:

I completed a test model for my synthwave inspired Sisters of Battle - The Order of the Turbo Martyr. Really quickly made, I mostly wanted to see how the colors worked when down.

This looks great, it almost makes me want to dig out my Tron inspired Tau and give them another go...

My first painted minis of the year courtesy of the Oath thread:

Zark the Damned posted:

An ice mage and her sister acting as bodyguard.

A collection of strange treasures found in museums and jungle ruins. Claiming Get the Crystal as they'll most likely be used as treasure markers in Ghost Archipelago.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Ok now let's see people's largest painted "minis"

My tallest mini is this dragon from Heresy:

But for overall mass it's probably my Stompas:

At least until I get cracking on Maldrakar or my Gargant...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Torquemada posted:

I’m looking for a recommendation for some female fantasy badasses. I want to paint something for my D&D playing wife, absolutely no titty-armour Red Sonja bullshit, more like the lead character of Dishonoured 2, and the more detailed the better.

https://www.oathswornminiatures.co.uk/c/4555399/1/sensible-shoes.html are pretty decent for that. Seconded for Squiddo.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

XPost from the Oath thread. Finally finished off my Oathsworn Dwarfs (not do dig out the Halflings and random adventurers I have from them...)

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Completed!

My take on SLAMBO! Resplendent in glossy purple armour adorned with a Chaos Glyph, fresh from the kill. Claiming Season's Beatings for the gory axes, and Daily Double for the shiny armour and freehand symbol. (April and March)

King Ranulf Firebeard, borne atop the mighty warshield of his clan by Old Hengus. Alongside stands Bjorn Drakeslayer, captain of the Stone Guard, horribly scarred by the flames of the drake he fought to earn his honour name, Bjorn never leaves his fully enclosed armour.

Kiril and Karil Bjornisson, aka the Thunder Twins. Inducted into the Stone Guard at an early age by their father Bjorn, the two have trained alongside each other since they were old enough to wield a hammer. The two operate with an uncanny precision, almost as one being, and have an unnerving habit of finishing each others sentences.

Claiming Stay a while and listen for the backstories.

Bonus group shot of all my Oathsworn Dwarfs together (minus the McFiggin Brewers).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maigius posted:

Got almost the whole gang assembled:

Also bought paint:

Hopefully sorting out who wants to paint what isn't too hard, and my selection of colors works.

You're probably already doing it, but just in case - make sure to prime those before you paint. Contrast does not like bare Bonesium at all.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

XPost from the Oath thread, 15mm and some time off work meant I could get this cranked out in just over a week. Big dwarf force for Hordes of the Things:

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete!

A quick one for me this month, turns out 15mm figures are quick to paint up (and having a week off work helped!)

The mainstay of the clan, 8 units of warriors (Blades)

A pair of great cannon to ward off foes from afar (Artillery)

The leaders of the clan (Heroes, Clerics)

Putting the heavy in heavy cavalry (seriously these minis are dense as hell) the Ursa Guard are hard hitting shock troops (Knights)

In times of great need the clan will goad the Hill Wyvern into battle (Dragon)

In times of greater need their prayers may be answered by the great ancestor deity himself! (God) - wields the ever burning forge hammer which glows with diving heat which can melt even the sturdiest metals - claiming Feeling the Heat!

Not part of the oath but I whipped up this quick stronghold from some dense foam and some more of the RNEstudio Dwarfs (also magnetised so can be changed later)

Everything together on their magnetic transport tray.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Army Painter's version of Contrast out next year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRem63CbLms

I'm aware their paints are a bit hit and miss but this might be worth an experiment.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Xpost from the Oath thread. I'm pretty happy with how this batch turned out!

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete!

Jack Burton in the closest rendition I could get of his Fu Manchu shirt. Challenge is the shirt, also claiming Rescue Ranger per the oath post.

A set of Regimental Advisors supporting the Imperial Army. Claiming the Daily Double for the Astropath on the left with his Shiny (Feb) staff and Blended (May) cloak.

Notrek and Faulix looking for adventure in the frozen city.

A pair of notable Heroes for a fledgling SPQR Gaul warband.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just a heads up for folks - Season 12 of the Oath Thread is almost over. Season 13 is starting soon if you want to join in and get motivated - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000606

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

I painted some stuff for Rangers of Shadow Deep and Silver Bayonet

Some undead creatures from the long forgotten past.

Where are these from? I need a set! :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Seems like GSW has its own contrast line

I don't need it but man is it tempting cause I enjoy the GSW paints

Of course they do. Their modus operandi is to take good ideas from other companies and rip them off then try and force their competitors out of the market.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have that same exact model and I can't figure out what colors I want to do for it. I'm thinking blue with spots... Oh I could do blue with this purple I love...

Jobbo_Fett posted:

DOOM Cacodemon

I did this with a Reaper 'Eye Beast'. My actual Beholder got to be a Pain Elemental.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crosspost from the Oath thread as I'm pretty happy with the banner!

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Completed!

9 rescued Black Knights with fancy banner which is based on an old Army Book (I think?).

Claiming the monthly challenge and Faithful Replica for the banner and Rescue Ranger for the pre-started paintjob from their previous owner.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I get that it's a marketing stunt for the series but for the amount he's paid on shipping and import taxes by now Squidmar could have just loving bought the titan and been done with it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

That is a great robot.

I painted some myself. One of my first endeavors in non-fantasy miniatures that aren't 40K orcs.

Scutters! I need me some of those, where are they from?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4190695

I cut the model in half so that the top could rotate around and they all wouldn't be fixed into the same position but that was easy enough to do with Prusa slicer.

(I think that I scaled them down to about 33% of their original size, FYI)

Cheers!

Indolent Bastard posted:

https://gamedecor.com/undead-heroes-of-the-realm.html

(This is a digital product for use with 3D printers and is provided via direct download from GameDecor.com This is NOT a physical product.)

Also cheers, and sorry for the delay :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

here are today's greenstuff projects!

First off, Heihachi Mishima from tekken for my ork Kommando kill team:-

I need to find out how to do sheets of torn cloth to make the flared pats heihachi mishima wears, I'll look around on youtube but if you know of better ways to make torn cloth I would love to know!

Next up is the dog from the Elucidian Star Striders kill team:-

I'm not a big fan of the Doberman look, so I decided if I were an insanely rich Rogue Trader I would have Amaterasu from the video game Okami, so I did my best to try to sculpt green stuff to make an approximation of that character.I'll probly add a symbol of some sort to the disk on top of the flame when it dries out.

critique/advice/comments greatly appreciated!

Da Gorkhand approves!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

They sold through the stock of these before they updated it too. Also they went through a phase of canceling any order if the buyer had a Chinese name.

Other scummy behaviour from GSW:

* Taking ideas from smaller producers, stealing them and rushing through the patent (Spanish patent law is ridiculous) so they can make their own versions and get the originals shut down. IIRC they did this with the texture rollers and tube making kits.

* Getting YouTube channels pulled down because of hurt feelings over the 'Colorshift' trademark.

* Taking pictures from artists portfolios without permission and using them to advertise their products.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Muir posted:

I'd be curious to read more about this if you have a link to share about it. I'm assuming this would just be within Spain, since a Spanish patent isn't going to help them anywhere in the rest of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhIEilBD-mQ has some details. Turns out I misremembered, the patent trolling was the tube tool and leaf punches and not the texture rollers (though I'm sure I read _somewhere_ about those being a stolen idea too). Essentially they abuse the fact that they are a semi-big company and can easily afford the 500 Euro fee to submit applications to the EU patent office which is in the same location as them to force smaller competitors to stop selling as they can't afford the tens of thousands of Euro it takes to fight the legal battles against them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Me buying some AP bottles ten years ago and all of them being watery inconsistent poo poo paint ingrained that impression in me. I can only assume I'm not the only one.

Yeah early AP stuff could be pretty hit or miss, I had a few in the starter set with basically no coverage, but they've definitely been improving over time. Looking forward to seeing how the 'fanatic' range works out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Dont drink the paints,

Thin your drinks