Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Awesome minis all up in here, I'm mad jelly and have to start practicing again (luckiy I have these millions of tiny things to practice on :$)
Krushgroove, your painting site is pointing to a placeholder domain. Is it up and running and misspelt or about to go live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Halverine posted:

So I've just picked up this hobby after buying Imperial Assault and deciding to paint the minis. I'm following Sorastro's guide videos and am up to my third attempt to paint a Stormtrooper (the first two attempts are currently in a bath of Simple Green).

I primed with Citadel Skull White, applied Nuln Oil as a wash and am up to highlighting with Skar White.

My results with the white so far just look really dodgy to me. I would love to hear from people if it's my brushwork or I'm not thinning the paint enough for the highlights.

I hope it's just something I can get better at.

He's also got a Dirty Tattooine look going for him, which I think works pretty well.

To further what liljonas said, once you get your method down with the troopers, you'll have a better grip on what works for you so that a little more time and effort will make the hero miniatures even better (and they should always look better anyway)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I've finally finished all the minis for Fantasy Flight Games' Relic as well as its Nemesis expansion. I'm feeling pretty good about myself, even though I didn't pace myself properly and started losing interest in the last few pieces (but kept a standard, so it's not apparent which were painted first and which ones last)

These are cool beans. Do you know if they sell these seperately? I want that sister.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

big_g posted:

It's a gift for my Father-in- Law and I hope he likes it this week.

Well I hope he likes it every week :colbert: For real it's aces. And I'm pretty sure if the pics are pretty then it's not spam at all.

And star man those little green are sweet- that shade of green always looks choice on marines.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

The Locator posted:

I went to a reasonably large IPMS model show yesterday, and there were some very impressive figures. Is it appropriate to post pictures of figures that I have nothing to do with (other than the photo's) in this thread, or does anyone even want to see photo's of figures not done by goons? I'm still working on the editing/cropping/resizing, but thought I'd ask for whenever I finish.

Also, my boat won 1st place in Surface Ships, and Best Ship across all ship categories, I was pretty stoked.

gently caress yes! To both more pics and you winning. I watched that thing come along from the start and it's really good to see it get some recognition out in the real world.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
A little while back y'all were talking about a nice black colour- I think it was a p3 one? Anyone remember the name?

And that reapermini paint guide is aces. Haven't seen that one before.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
That's the list I was looking for, thanks dentist!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Anyone willing to buy and send a set to oz? I don't have prime and it says I can give them $75 instead :( :( I figure sending it here must be cheaper than that

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Well,look at that! Thanks willus!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've got a bottle of valejo white primer- could a bit of grey paint be added it it still retain it's magical priming properties? I know they make a grey primer, I just don't have any at the mo

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

richyp posted:

Got some 30k stuff yesterday, so here's my first painted thing in a few years.

Lessons learned.

1) Brushes don't store well with their bristles pressed against a box for long periods
2) I remembered why I primed white in the past, that red took so many thin coats over black.

That is a nice red though

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

TouchToneDialing posted:

I know its not technically a miniature but you guys helped a ton with this so I wanted to show you. This is also my first time using my airbrush!

I made a custom Beast action figure.

If you want to see a bunch more pictures or some making of stuff check out my this gallery
http://imgur.com/gallery/Hup65/new

This is cool beans. Always wanted to try a repaint of an action figure but never got around to it (and they are pricier down in oz). I got a Star Wars Rey 6 inch that I thought would be a fun project, but then discovered the insane prices she is going for, so I may have to keep her packed up

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slimnoid posted:

Finished up the Wights.

these cats have the best shields

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pierzak posted:

I love the furry collar and the kill tally. And the overall execution is awesome.

Yeah that collar is the business

Dang some nice models these last pages (and all pages)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

richyp posted:

Still waiting on an order of some VMC blue's so I can paint the armour. On the plus side it means I probably spent more time painting pretend make up on her face than I usually do an a model and I'm really pleased with how it and the rest of the face turned out.

First time I've painted a face without using a wash, quite pleased with the outcome especially considering the flesh coloured paint is also on the same order as the blues. Good old Pale Sand and German Orange save the day again.

Not sure if the red (orange) hair lacks enough contrast as it's the same colours I used for the skin only in different ratios. Should I keep it or paint it brown? I also daren't attempt the pupils until I get a new brush, my detail brush has more stray hair's than not.

The orange hair works well. I'd like to see it when the armour is painted, but as is, it looks good

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pierzak posted:

You might want to look at AT-43, specifically the future-Earth faction (Therians?). Very similar to the pic.

I thought of those as well, especially cause they have a floating masked chick Omega Tiamat

Their rank and file are maybe a little too zombie/necron like though

Or maybe anothe rackham piece, Galhyan, Cynwäll heliast from the elf army. He's not floating, but he's got hella masks

I miss rackham so much :(

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah with the blue armour the orange hair is real purdy.

I've been grey priming recently just so I can see details a little better than white. I could do white and then a watered down wash, but I am a lazy lazy man (hence why there and pictures of mine up in here)

Jadebullet! Little warming about the AT-43 stuff. It's pre painted and the plastic can be a little softish. But I've only got a couple of their minis, so I don't know how it would be on a larger mini. It's still a really cool sculpt and should be hackable

Dr. Phildo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 18, 2016

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR posted:

I think I was the one that shared that link. Sorry, I had no idea that Amazon was that lovely :(

It's all cool - we would've been sad if they had delivered on it and none of us knew about the deal!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I've given up trying to use my fancy lightbox I got for Christmas. It just really flattens out all the highlights and shading, so back to the cardboard box wrapped in foil for now.

Here's a thing I did:

Real smooth

Where's this one from? I want her to be friends with my Sigmar sisters

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

richyp posted:

I can't really overload it though as I have to quickly lift up onto a high shelf where it's out of reach of little and destructive hands.

Need some colour scheme advice. Made a start on a Reaper Dwarf I got as a Christmas present my missus got me to try and convince me to pick up a brush, I got the face done and put down a few thin colours to try and come up with a scheme. I'm not sure that the olive/mustard colour really works with the turquoise but it could also be the green that breaks it. Also the legs and gloves in brown probably wont work well either.

I'm out of ideas on colours to try as I don't want too many competing colours hence the muted olive colour to try and tie the browns and orange. Here he is so far, only the face is finished so I dont mind if the other colours have to go (I'd like to keep the Turquoise cape though as it works with the orange hair)

The finished face, which I'm really happy with

While I'm not sure what colours would work on the dwarf (I'm quite liking it as is to be honest) I'm really digging the face.
And I'm very glad that your wife convinced you to get back to painting. Anytime anyone comes back after a hiatus, it's exciting to see the progress they make to get the skills back.

And those ties are dope konggeorge. I didn't realise how much fun xwangs are to repaint til I tried it myself (even though all I did was add three stripes to make Jess parva's Blue 3. Then repaint all the blue to match. Then reweathered the dang thing)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've had that dang game for months and hardly touched the dudes and you come along and paint six in a day! Boooo!

I'm especially loving Vader's chest/shoulder pauldron thing. Impressive. Most impressive.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'd love to see some smelliest based on harryhausens skeletons- they each had different patterns/colours but worked because they were goddamn skeletons. purp/yellow orange/black just go nuts (of course, this won't help with trying to get through the skellies quickly)

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Well if she lost all that flesh-weight, I'm sure she'd fit in a lot better. She easilly looks part of the gang, so all's good.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Big McHuge posted:

About 15 or so years ago I was into painting Warhammer figures, but I wasn't great at it. Mostly drybrushing stuff, and while it was certainly fine for playing on the table, I never truly looked at it with any pride. Last year I picked up a paint brush for the first time since then, and had a go at some of the Imperial Assault miniatures (mostly thanks to watching some of the Sorastro series on Youtube). They turned out well enough that a friend of mine asked if I'd be interested in painting up a couple Space Wolves figures. He wants them as close to the picture on the packaging, so I didn't have a lot of room to get creative, but I figure that's actually a good thing since this is the first time I've painted for someone other than myself.

First up is Ulrik The Slayer:

I don't have a good camera or a light box, so I was fiddling with the settings, apologies for the image qualities. Overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. I did most of the painting prior to assembling, and the only part where that was an issue was on the cloak because it comes in two parts, which is a horrible design decision on GW's part, but whatever. I was going to do a bit more to highlight the stitching on the inside of the cloak, but I had already spent far far far too many hours on this model considering that I was only charging 20 bucks. Still, it's on the best paint jobs I've ever done and while I'm sure I could have gotten away with doing a much more basic job, my friend was floored with how nice the final product turned out.

I'm hoping to get started on the next model, Wolf Lord Krom, sometime this week.

For $20 the dude got a bargain. That's a nice job, and real neat

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

big_g posted:

I started the White Dwarf freebie model last night. Following the colours from the guide. It's the first time I've picked up a brush since the Imperial Fists I posted a while back. Quite happy with the red armour.

Hopefully starting the flesh tonight.

That's looking real nice

First white dwarf I've bought in years. I'm a sucker for freebies though :(
Now all I have to do is paint the dude

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Agreedo, SRM, that cape is super nice.
So smooth

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

Apologies if this is stirring up some long-resolved TG drama or whatever, but I really liked the miniature and was concerned from these posts so I decided to look up some other miniatures and do a little reading, and I was just curious if the "rapemonsters" thing was just silly hyperbole, or if this is something more represented in the game than the art?

I didn't catch much about the Lion God (besides being a warped former ruler of a grand kingdom, also having a cool design), but from what I could find it seemed like the worst was just some naked lady miniatures with the Lion Knight (which is apparently supposed to have more levity than the other monsters/expacs) which are entirely optional, and a pinup line that's intentionally vestigial from the actual line/game.

(Also, do they have any future kickstarters planned ala Reaper Miniatures? I really like a lot of these designs and would be into getting kickstarter value instead of $40-60/expac)

The Kickstarter campaign they had, while very successful in making money, took foreeeeeeever to fulfil. I think it started August 2012, with games being sent out around July last year. Then we had to wait for expansions after that :(

But I ended up selling the core game for a lot more than I paid for everything I got from the Kickstarter, so I can't really complain. If they do another one, I hope they keep a strict timetable and not add/change too many things along the way.

That dang box weighed a ton, I tell you what!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
You can go to games workshop stores and they often have lil workshops for painting etc.

Also as far as imp assault, check out Sorastro's vids on YouTube. They show the basics and go through most of the characters in the box (I think all of them from the main box now)

Get rid of mould lines (file or scrape away)
Prime mini
Thin paints and don't load the brush

And have fun

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Could you make the chipping whiter? Like a ceramic or something? Might look nice against the darker colours

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
I just saw this in the drop thread, but that ship is so pretty. What kind of stand is that?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bistromatic posted:

Thanks for the kind words y'all!

I wrote a first draft of the Step-by-Step:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cT1xAa0Cigac--IN5Kdhxazao0PgUaa_3myIbAntCrA/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone wants i can post the whole thing here directly too.

I'll happily answer questions or go into more detail about particular things.

I'm working on custom telescoping bases, it's an antenna like TT suggested.

Clever idea with the antenna, and a nice tutorial

Q about the tamiya liner - I know it is used straight from the bottle, but can it be thinned and still behave the same way?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
With the wings folded in front, I always see the u-wing as buck's starfighter. Some yellow and red stripes would look nice

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Speckled Jim posted:

Some things Ive tryed include, varnishing the paint layer to be taped over and a coat of varnish over my masking tape before painting. This has proved successful in stopping paint bleeding under my masking. As far as stopping paint coming up with my tape, I wait an excessive time between layers and cross my fingers.

Also use a nice painters tape like 3m or scotch. If it's pulling up paint, try putting the tape on your jeans or whatevs so that it's not as tacky. If it's still pulling paint, I'd say the paint that the tape is being laid on is not completely dry.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I was using 3m. Wouldn't putting the tape on my jeans make it even less smooth thus creating more opportunity for paint to bleed? I ordered some 40mm Tamiya, I think that should be wide enough to cut diamonds out of. My plan is to paint, varnish, leave to dry for a day, apply tape, varnish, paint, leave to dry for a day, remove tape. I am going to clean my craft cutting mat before I put the tape on it. If this doesn't work I think I am going to abandon this method and figure something else out.

It worked for me, it took some of the tack while still working nicely (but the bad thing about this hobby is that individual results can vary so much even when the same materials are being used). The tamiya tape is also nice. I use both 3m and tamiya and dig them both.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Cross posting this lady:

Nice!

But now I've just found out gw has finally made a mini I need :(

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

mango sentinel posted:

Blue tack can be a little wobbly if something has narrow contact points, but is generally fine.

If you're really that concerned, glue them to an extra base using very little superglue and just snap them off when you're done. Worst case scenario you take an extra two seconds to file the bottoms of feet before gluing them to a finished base.

I know the pictures aren't great but can anyone give me feedback on the Skaven I posted earlier?

The skaven was sweet. The red shirt was especially nice. I think if you're going to do anything. With the sword, maybe a lil edge highlighting but he's a group of forty, and it looks fine as is

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

Lose a point for not knifing off the silly candle, but otherwise its nice to see that the model looks pretty good with a diff and cool paint job :)

If anything she should have more candles.

Is greyfax available separately? Or only in that bundle?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Fyrbrand posted:

Never fun to have to follow SRM but here we go.

Horgle2 aka Horgle the Anvil. Picked him up as a pre-release and figured I should justify it by getting it painted before the general release.

Painting fire is a pain.

O wow that flame is so nice

And my macromats arrived today too. Now I just have to finish painting something to shoot in front of them

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath thread cross post:

I went for a mandrill look on the monkey instead of a boring old baboon. The woman with the cape was left half finished for years and years because of annoying primer, but I finally finished her. It was one of my first paintjobs, so it nice to see that I've improved.
Also, I finally admitted that I needed some deeper shadows on the fur capes, so I went back and added it to all my Blood Rage figures.

I really like that drummer dude. The furs are real nice and the guys posture and eyes reminds me of mike mignola comics. Digging the variety of bone on him too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

Horace-Noah posted:

I too am cross posting.

That orange is niiice