Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Wade Wilson posted:

The Dresden has been pretty fun, actually. But I've been in matches where at least two others would be on the same team as me and we'd roll around the map together with one of us constantly keeping an enemy on fire, the other sending a stream of AP and the third setting another enemy on fire until we can switch to that one after sinking the first ship we target.

Having enough guns to basically keep a constant stream of shells coming in is pretty fun.
Yeah I'm enjoying the Dresden too, I think I might even keep it for some occasional low tier putzing around. Yeah the guns are weedly, but the fire rate is just too hilarious, it's like opening a portal to the elemental plane of cannon shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I would not have expected my first Kraken award to be from a 7 vs 7 battle in the Kolberg, but there it is. :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh people are still doing this stats thing, well ok then let's see my own. Probably loving terribl-

quote:

Palantyre on European server
High level overview

Plays a mix of cruisers (excellent) and battleships (excellent)
Deals a large amount of damage
Very often finishes damaged enemies
Key vehicle - Wyoming

Overall rating 1311 - Great

:staredog: Well then.

Granted I've only played 129 battles since launch, so eh.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's absolutely loving unreasonable how much his attempts to pronounce the name irritate me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just looking at the Soviet cruisers in game, the tier 3 Bogatyr seems kinda promising, superficially. Got a really healthy amount of gun barrels sticking out of it, both primary and secondary. Might give the St. Lou a good fight over the throne of King Shell Vomit of Artillery Mountain for the lower tiers. Also it looks loving badass.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
How successful they were or weren't is completely loving irrelevant, I want them because I'm a shameless anglophile and think their military stuff is really rad. Which is all that matters because this is a goddamn videogame.

Also that ship looks badass as hell.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Save for the fact that the entire thing looks like one huge citadel, sure. I think the only thing that *wouldn't* be a citadel hitbox would be the fo'c'sle.
I meant aesthetically. Practicality was irrelevant.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Got the Bogatyr and am loving it. The firepower is quite something after playing the Novik and the low tier Germans for a while. I somehow managed to citadel-pen a South Carolina from like 10 km out, and even without citadels the thing puts out pretty consistent damage.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
All these years and people still try to argue with NTRabbit :allears:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's why I'm hoping the nickname 'Schotgun' takes hold, because even pubbies know you don't try to snipe with a shotgun.

Scatterhorst

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MrKatharsis posted:

Double post here, but with the Bismarck out and the British cruisers on the way, it's time to tell the story of Unsinkable Sam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsinkable_Sam
Hah, there's actually a cat with the same name and very similar backstory in the CRPG Divinity: Original Sin. Cool to know he's based on a real thing. :)

Astroclassicist posted:

Not as cool as enlisted Great Dane, Just Nuisance RN
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Nuisance
As an officer of the WOOF clan, I hereby declare this dog our official mascot because holy poo poo this is amazing. :allears:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I repeatedly surprise myself with how well I manage to eyeball first salvos pretty much on target. Well, technically on target, practically not because RNG will make half the shells fly over and the other half fall short, but you know.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Kaiser's AA isn't bad either. I shot down somewhere over 20 planes in one battle where this bad Langley had a murderboner for me and kept trying to bomb me. He did land a couple torps because I'm also bad, but I still think I got the better end of that bargain, shredding most of his planes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A Königsberg crossed my T at a few km range the other day when I was in my Omaha. It ended very, very, very badly for him.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
...well now, that's actually legit beautiful.

WHY IS MY ROOM SO DUSTY GOD DAMNIT

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been plugging away at the missions on the test server, and I just, I, augh I am so loving bad at DDs you guys. Like, seriously bad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Okay maybe I'm slowly getting the hang of this DD business afterall

Of course after this I realized I had forgotten you need to drive specifically USSR DDs for that mission. :shepface:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
:allears: Atsf is amazing and I'm very glad we have him to carry the silly torch now that phontomen isn't the same anymore. I just wish he did Tanks videos as well.

Fake edit: The duck quack when things get hit will never cease to amuse me, ever.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"Alright I still need two wins in Soviet DDs and two in cruisers to finish these missions, shouldn't take too long"

:shrek:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hammerstein posted:

You are doing it wrong
No argument there

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Most importantly, the Warspite just looks classy as gently caress.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just got my first ever one-hit-kill of a full health ship. Was driving my Warspite, and the first enemies in the battle got sighted. I popped my spotter plane and noticed a Pensacola at about 18 km that was driving along in a straight line. I eyeballed the angle and lead, and.... my first salvo perfectly bracketed him without a single hit. Typical.
Fortunately for me he had his head up his rear end and just kept going straight, so I fired off another salvo just before he got unspotted and loving nuked him. Not even a magazine detonation, just four hits right in the juicy bits. Feels good mang. :gizz:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
BRITANNIA RULE THE WAVES :black101:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
drat, the people ITT who have been praising the Bayern weren't kidding. This thing does not give a gently caress. Even only half upgraded I've been kicking all manner of rear end. Let's see how long it will take for WG to nerf it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

kaesarsosei posted:

The Bayern is good but I picked up the Warspite during the EU sale and I've been really surprised at how good it is. I actually think it has the best guns tier-for-tier of any BB except Yamato. I had kept my Bayern after unlucking Gneisenau but now I sold it and am going to finally save up and buy a Hindenberg and drop the captain in there instead.

If the Warspite turrets turned as fast as a Fuso or New Mex (actually basically anything), I honestly think it would be the best BB in the game relatively speaking. As it is, the slow turrets are a colossal weakness. My last game I got sunk by a Molotov at 6km that I would unquestionably have sunk first if my turrets could turn faster.
Oh I do love the Warspite. The thing is, the Bayern is very similar to it. Same caliber guns with the same turret layout, and it also has a very tight turning circle. Not as tight as Warspite's, but 630 meters is still plenty good for a BB. And then on top of the similarities the Bayern has better secondaries, AA and armoring. It's a drat monster.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, my first Ranked match was a win, then it's just been a loss after a loss after a terrible loss.

I'm good enough to topscore in most every battle but not good enough to hard carry these loving windowlickers.

The worst was a battle where I did 120k damage and it still wasn't enough. :negative:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My average potential damage in the Bayern is almost 1,2 million. :shepface:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 2, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I scrolled past the quote to read the post without looking who it was, and reading the post I just knew anyway.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yea the St. Lou is pretty brawny. Tough for a cruiser and has like a million guns sticking out of it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm glad I did this battle because I had run out of flags and didn't know what I was going to do about it

Play Ranked, if you manage to go up a bunch of ranks it doles out signal flags like candy.

After my terrible initial loss streak I managed to get up to rank 15, which is as far as I'm gonna go because after that it gets tier 8 and I don't have any. But it's cool, I got a bunch of stuff out of it anyways.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

kaesarsosei posted:

Not saying the Warspite is definately a better ship (although I think it edges it) but I can say for sure its more fun.

Far as I can tell, literally the only advantage the Warspite has over the Bayern is a somewhat tighter turning radius. In all aspects the Bayern is either even (same guns and rudder shift time) or superior (most everything else). It doesn't get a spotting plane like Warspite, but its base range is higher to compensate.

I mean, I still love the old lady, but as it stands the Bayern just does all the same things and more. Although I kinda agree on the Warspite being more fun, mainly because doing well in it feels better because it's not so blatantly OP.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

no bones about it posted:

Im gonna head with the opposite opinion of NTRabbit because he is a botes idiot.
Well, a broken clock etc.

Tier 1 and 2 were whatever, but my first impression on the Caledon is pretty good. It's a beefed up DD that snuck in the depot one night and switched his smoke for a BB's repair gubbins. Can't judge whether it's actually good or not, but I'm having fun with it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh god I haven't been playing in months and now I'm so out of the loop and suck massively. I feel like I just get brutally owned no matter what I try. And even still I score in the top half of the team more often than not, so I guess that says something about the playerbase.

Anyways, two questions:

1) Are German cruiser HE shells still junk?

2) How do I Gneisenau?

EDIT: also some of these campaign tasks are horseshit. 500 freeXP in a single battle, seriously? "stack every possible XP bonus on top of eachother and hope for a miracle", more like.
EDIT2: Oh right, I forgot about the +300% freeXP signal flags.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 10, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Warspite's a fine ship. It's true that the Bayern is superior in almost every way, but being less good than the best BB of the tier doesn't make the Warspite bad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The Gneisenau feels like it could be such a nice ship if I could only HIT A GODDAMNED THING with these loving primaries. Even with the accuracy upgrade, having only six gun barrels is so goddamn prone to not landing a single hit due to RNG. With the New Mex, which I'm at in the US tree, the volume of fire is enough that at least a few shells usually connect.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't give a poo poo about ranked or what flamu thinks of anything, I just want my shells to loving hit things.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That feeling when you're sailing your New Mexico, and a DD jumps you from behind an island just 2km away, and has you completely dead to rights because your guns are pointing the wrong way and you're reloading anyway.... And then your secondaries immediately nuke his magazine from like 9k hitpoints.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been trying. Problem is finding an opportunity to do so without getting melted on the way and/or focused to poo poo when I get there.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Remember, if you are in a BB, and the last enemy is also a BB, it is your duty to ram them. Even if it causes the game to be a draw.
Especially if it causes a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I started up the IJN cruiser line just to do the mission for the Southern Dragon, and to my surprise I quite enjoyed the Furrycaca. Still sold it after I ground through it but it wasn't a bad ship at all.