Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Preechr posted:

World of Warships: just had a dev team that did everything wrong

:five:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah as someone who has the OG Missouri that was a nasty, but expected turn of events. And apparently the way of getting the new, non-profitable Missouri, is buying blind boxes with insanely low drop chances?

What happened with the Missouri? I know it came back less profitable, but I thought the old one remained the same.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Those absolute fuckers

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I see they hosed up her name: AprilWhiteMouse. Her forum nick is LittleWhiteMouse, her name is April.

VVV ah, fair enough.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 17, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Here is what I don’t get—the complaints about the pseudo gambling loot boxes.

Actually that is not fair, I do get the complaints. What I don’t get is the attitude like this is super unique to Wargamming; and it’s often tied to complaints (on Reddit at least) about how Wargamming’s ‘free-to-play’ model can make it painful if you do not actually pay.

As someone who used to be an MMO developer, my thoughts are, “of-loving-course!” From the time of UO MMOs were specifically designed to hit reward centers in people’s brains, initially to get them to keep playing and paying that $15 subscription fee.

Then the ‘free-to-play’ model was developed and companies literally realized they could use those same psychological cues to get people to open their wallets multiple times a month. In fact, from a statistical standpoint it turns out that people will spend significantly more than $15 a month on things that make a ‘free-to-play’ game feel less grindy and difficult. Game publishers can turn almost everyone into a ‘whale’ just by going ‘free-to-play.’

This has been going on for a decade now, and there isn’t a single company whose monitzation model is ‘free-to-play’ that doesn’t do this. In fact, ‘free-to-play’ models (and game design) has been so successful the vast, vast majority of MMOs that are old enough to have initially used the old sub model have moved to a hybrid model, or totally converted to ‘free-to-play.’

Just because a lot of companies do it doesn't mean it's less awful, and because these types of games tend to suck up all your time (and possibly money) people tend to only play one of them at a time. I feel like WG have gotten steadily worse about it over time as well, which hits different from a game which has had the same model since launch.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Sekenr posted:

Ok guys, when is the proper time to transfer from coop battles to actual humans. I am tiers IV-V and coop is getting pretty boring but mechanically speaking seems a preferable option considering that you get your 50% bonus for winning and its way harder to win against humans vs bots.

Coop base XP is so much lower that this really isn't an advantage.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
You will have to grind through (or FXP) the FdG again too, so that'll be fun. I read that Sov's are getting a new t10 DD too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I nought the scharn because im a sucker for german BBs, and then i realized you need both the regular AND the B variant to get the special mission.
Like, why would i loving buy the same ship twice?

It's meant as a partial refund because they are too dumb/lazy to make it cheaper to buy the B version of a ship you already own.

Also it turns out that I have permissions so the GOON steelport is now upgraded.

Also also, I see there's a whole new crop of coal ships (except lol, Salem is still there), are any good?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 19, 2021

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

10 crates and got the Atlanta B and the Alaska B. Already had the Alaska.

Then you have the doubloons mission!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Is there a setting or mod that'll show the difference between: "Detected, no one is targeting you" vs "Detected, you do not have Priority Target"?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yeah, if you take a closer look at my post you will see I do already know of the skill Priority target and how it lists how many ships are targeting you. My question was regarding how it can be misleading when you go from a ship WITH Priority target to a ship WITHOUT PT, because it lulls you into a false sense of security by looking as if no one is targeting you.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Lol, ok. I have something like 200 ships which I'm knocking snowflakes off of after several months of not playing this game. If you can simply remember all those skills forever, good for you, but it's an incredibly basic bit of UI design to indicate a difference between a skill being present or not.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
In what world would a little "(0)" by the "Detected" when you have PT but no one is aiming at you clutter the UI?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

There is a mod available that shows your currently mastered skills and equipped gear in battle, it's on mod-station.

Yes, thank you.

kaesarsosei posted:

A lot of discussion over a non-problem. If you are only playing to knock snowflakes off, just do it it in co-op where it doesn't matter what skills you have. If you want to actually take the time to play randoms, maybe spend 30 secs setting up your signals, camos, equipment etc and checking your captain skills before clicking play.

There's only a lot of discussion because you and several others rushed in to post about how the UI is already perfect and that you can effortlessly remember all your captain skills over indefinite lengths plus you love the chore of opening up several different screens before every match to check the setup of every ship. You could always not do this and go back to playing without the reload timer, range circles, or last known ship positions on the mini map :bahgawd:

Unless you're all secretly on the WG UI design team you don't need to post to refute every question about possible UI elements you don't see the need for as if you are the arbiters of what UI features would be useful or not. And I really hope you aren't, because it's an objective fact that it's good UI to clearly show different states with different indicators.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

That's not at all what people have said but w/e get mega defensive about it lol.

???

ZombieLenin posted:

I only put this on a select number of ships though (never, ever a BB for instance), and have no problem remembering which ship captains have which skills; so, yeah… if you are a person who has problems with this, I have no idea how to help.

Devorum posted:

I just...look before launching a match? I'm also knocking the cobwebs off a ton of boats, so I check my captain skills before hitting the "play" button unless it's a boat I'm familiar with. Seems easier than cluttering up my UI.

kaesarsosei posted:

A lot of discussion over a non-problem. If you are only playing to knock snowflakes off, just do it it in co-op where it doesn't matter what skills you have. If you want to actually take the time to play randoms, maybe spend 30 secs setting up your signals, camos, equipment etc and checking your captain skills before clicking play.

There's literally 3 posts saying exactly that, what are you talking about?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Where are these posts defending the UI as perfect.

OK, you understand that you've now moved your goalposts from "is that at all what people are saying" to "did they make this specific point out of several you mentioned", right? But sure, kaesarsosei describes it as a "non-problem" while Devorum thinks any change would "clutter up the UI" - both of which imply there's no need to change the UI and the latter that such a change would make the UI worse.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Did you not read/understand the quoted posts, or are you going to ignore the context of the discussion in which I'm clearly talking about the showing of detection status/priority target interaction to make some point that while perhaps they don't feel the UI should change in this instance they might feel it has other flaws? Because that's going to make an already tedious discussion all the more so.

Devorum posted:

Over here acting like it's a Herculean task to click on your captain ("several different screens" lol) and skim over the skills for 10 seconds before heading into a match.

I'm responding to several people, "setting up your signals, camos, equipment etc and checking your captain skills before clicking play." is indeed several different screens - Exterior, Equipment, and Captain.

I did not set out saying it was a difficult task, I simply asked if there was a setting or mod to show a certain bit of useful information. Then you and several other posters felt the need to talk about how much you didn't need such a feature - because that's somehow useful information I need to hear, I guess - and downplayed its potential usefulness. "There's no need for a tiny UI feature, simply remember to always check your captain skills before every match forever or have a perfect memory" is just a completely pointless argument to make, but since you decided to make it at me I'm going to disagree with you.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Hahha you can't be this dumb can you?

Yeah, I guess it was pretty dumb of me to reply to you as if you weren't either a moron or trolling me. You got me! Lesson learned.