Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ugh, might come back for this because gently caress WoT. On the other hand, I can see dropping it the second WT comes out with their version since its pretty likely they'll have planes mixed into the battles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So if I was in both of the beta weekends, do I just need to reinstall it or what to play botes when they come out?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Is there a channel yet in game for people to sit in?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I get 7 fps on the lowest settings, I get 20-30 on the highest and I was getting 30-45 fps during the first of the two beta weekends. It literally makes no sense to me. Also, does anyone know what is causing the sound to go all staticy and lovely?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, if you have an Aoba, do yourself a favor and buy the upgrade that increases your turret turn time along with the crew skill. Its super noticeable.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ToiletDuckie posted:

Yeah, as much as I wanted to buy the upgrade for improved AA, the one for main battery reload/turn time is great. It's even better when paired with the 20% rudder movement speed upgrade. Then again, that upgrade seems a like a bit of a no-brainer. When would you ever not want an easier time of throwing off people's aim and turning away from torpedoes?

I think I'll go AA heavy on the Cleveland since it does it better at its tier and the smaller guns are probably more serviceable without upgrades.

Yeah, I might need to pick that up since I keep having to dodge torps all game.

Slightly related:

I might need to work on my ship skinning a bit. :downs:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm fairly certain I've had dive bombers murder a few of my fights before, but I could be horribly mistaken.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

No Yorktown? What is this poo poo? :mad:

Its an essex class carrier you turbonerd.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So uh, can anyone upload a copy of the regular cleveland texture file and post it? I kinda hosed up and made my pink dazzle camo skin on my backup.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A mogami should never be ignored. 2 destroyers, 2 cruisers and a nagato all down because they weren't paying attention.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So they're moving the mogami up to tier 8, but leaving the cleveland at tier 6 despite it being very similar in gameplay?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Who the hell plays the Mogami with the 152mms, like come on scrub.

The Myoko is soft as hell and takes like 3 hits before it dies. It also has bad gun arcs, and seemingly less powerful guns. It deserves a tier-down, and the Mogami is workable at tier 8.

I do. Its not the size of your guns, its hhow you use 'em. :smug:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been quoting fury road while driving the nicholas around and found a pubbie who started playing along. We wound up torpedoing each other while yelling witness in chat. This game can definately have its good moments.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

cheese posted:

Any bets on how they fix this or if they just circle the wagons and ignore the increasing outcry?

Depends on how much attention gets brought to the attention of the "gaming media"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Did the Russian navy actually, like, do anything in WWII?

Got wrecked by finnish coastal defenses, got bottled up in their harbor by the german navy and maybe resupplied sevastapol if I remember right?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

You make the right points but come to the wrong conclusion.
It's just another layer of RNG damage. Okay, carriers are not artillery. They are the second worst thing to it.

So they are the fuckoff huge gunned td camping in a bush? :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

OSad posted:

I seem to have made someone very mad by making use of the mythical "border cheat". I do this like, once in a never, but this match was exceptional since I loaded in late and was pressured into the wall by a bunch of enemy BB's.

Either way, I'm a dirty cheater.

I think it'll actually be pretty good. I know that it had a weird armor layout, but didn't it have really good citadel armor? And the 15-inch guns are an oddity for the tier(fifteen inch guns are not an oddity in tier 8, my idiocy strikes again, though the North Carolina's guns are just shy of 16), it can do 30 knots which puts it up there with some of the fastest IJN battleships, it has torpedo tubes...

It almost seems too good to be true, since the torpedoes give you that extra tool that can save you from situations where a destroyer goes in for a run, or a cruiser comes around an island, you unload on him but can't quite kill him, now you have those torps for knife-fights while you're reloading your big guns. Or if the armor is good, you can even be really aggressive on this ship and shotgun other battleships. It's like a super, mega-fat destroyer with 15 inch guns that can actually take a hit! Maybe.

I wonder if the torps are going to be poo poo or the ship itself won't get a repair ability as a balancing factor or something. Maybe the rudder'll be made of paper mache and any attack bomber that manages to plink a hit on you will knock it out due to historical accuracy.

Edit: Apparently now that I've looked it up, the Bismarck never had a chance to mount her torpedo tubes. So this is not looking as good as I first thought it would.

Even if the wheraboos threw a bitchfit, wg has stated no battleship would have torpedos. Otherwise the new york/texas would have a compliment of torpedos, which would be awesome and we can't have that.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

As far as I can tell though, the Russian tree would have to be tiny as all hell.
A couple decent cruisers (Kirov/Maxim Gorky) maybe but otherwise weren't their few battleships during WW2 obsolete early dreadnoughts and they had literally zero aircraft carriers until like 1975?

They'll have some interesting stuff in the early tiers like the Gangut and Imperatritsa Mariya classes, but aside from the HMS Royal Sovereign and whatever they had laid down for construction before WWII, anything in the russian tree will be paper since post WWII they didn't really have a need for a surface navy. Though anyone who played WoT should be used to this.

Not gonna lie though, I really wanna see the german tree to see if the Deutschland class gets put in as a cruiser or a battleship.

EDIT: The Kronshtadt-class and Stalingrad-class might have a place towards the end of the russian cruiser line if wargaming wants to be really silly.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 24, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

rossmum posted:

The Soviet tech tree in WoT is one of the least paper in the game, with the Americans holding the title I think. Conversely, the German tree is at least half poo poo that never existed in metal.

They'll have plenty of destroyers to choose from, and a few cruisers (more, if they shoehorn destroyer leaders in as low-tier cruisers like they did for Japan). Not sure how they'll figure BBs out other than Sovietsky Soyuz at T9 and the Project 24s at tier 10, Royal Sovereign and Giulio Cesare will probably end up being premiums. No clue how they'll do carriers.

It was more pointing at WG's overall love of bullshit paper designs. And making up their own complete and utter bullshit. Looking right at you JgPzE100 and whatever that E100 waffle was called.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

WE
Alaska being a low/mid tier battleship would be hilarious against carriers because of it's late war 'murican AA loadout.

Deutschland as anything other than a low tier BB would be exceptionally painful however because it's AA suite at it's time of commissioning consisted of three pre-WWI anti-torpedo boat guns converted into flak.

Or they could put them in as cruisers at tier 10 with the battleship repair ability and use the Admiral Hipper instead of the Deutschland?

Edit: I though the hipper was a pocket battleship too, my bad. Holy poo poo germany, why would you not put loving AA on these ships after what happened to the bismark you utter retards.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 25, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

http://imgur.com/a/Wwe8h#12

So, apparently the Tirpitz will have torpedos. Give me torps on my New York now, tia.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

cheese posted:

So I have to leave NDP on my WoT account to join SEAMN for WoWs?

But I don't wanna leave Pansy! :ohdear:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Just had what is probably my best game yet in botes in the Murmansk, somehow I managed to hang out at 10-14km all game from what amounted to almost the entire enemy team without dying and just rained torps, HE and a bit of AP onto them. Most of the kills got sniped at the last second by someone else, but I can't even be mad. I'm walking away with 10 more XP flags to use while grinding out the pepsicola or to use if I swap to the Japanese tree.

And earlier in the night, I was thrown into a match with some nerd named Hazdoc in a battleship where I managed to get a double strike after dying by taking down a full health Cleveland and Nicholas with torps. This was in a match where I decided the best course of action was to yolo down the middle on two brothers.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Washout posted:

We don't know yet, has anyone done solo queue with the murmansk? If so do you ever see tier 6 ships?

Its got regular matchmaking, but its still perfectly capable of dealing with higher tier matches thanks to the plane giving it increased range. Also, links to the stats on those new american cruisers?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hagop posted:

Clevelands certainly can't handle the tier 6 BBs. Both the Fuso and the NM are like the Clevelands kryptonite. However they seem to handle tier 7 BBs fine. I mean I don't often solo down full health tier 7s, but I feel like I can solo off way more hitpoints then I should be able to.

Actually, the Cleveland can handle both given the right situation. Hell, at point blank range, the cleveland can pen the Fuso with AP, leading the the hilarious situation where you DPS down a battleship in a cruiser at 3-4km ranges.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy gently caress the atlanta is an absolute monster firing AP at point blank range. 15 seconds to DPM down another atlanta thanks to 8 citadels? Yes please!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its a little questionable ethically, but since there isn't any indication of what player is playing on the detailed report screen, couldn't you just share screenshots to get someone else to the marblehead?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gently caress playing this until the contest is over. So many people coming at me hard for those E screenshots.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Dalael posted:

Today, I met a player who I believe I may start hunting down in the game. I may just focus solely on sinking him every time I see him. no matter which team he is in. Okay, maybe I won't but holy poo poo did he piss me off. I'm playing in my Ryujo and as is a habit of mine, I go hide near an island close enough to the front lines so that my planes can come back faster after their run.

The guy, named _Dontreadthis or something along the lines, just plows into me with his battleship, literally pushing me outof hiding and into the firing path of a bunch of cruisers. He then starts laughing and say I deserve it. :confused:

He's right, you did deserve it for playing carriers.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy hell, the tier 5 german cruiser looks like it'll be a riot. 9 6 inch guns in 3 triple turrets, 12 torpedo tubes and a nice assortment of AAA at tier V if they give it the full loadout that they had during WW2. The fact that its two rear turrets and one forward turret will probably be odd to deal with, but so long as its gun handling isn't terrible, it'll probably be fun to play.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I free xp'd my way directly into the Konigsberg since I didn't feel like grinding up a bunch of low tier cruisers. This was a good choice, since the Konigsberg is stupidly strong at its tier. 9 150mm guns (that reload faster, turn faster and shoot farther than the cleveland's) just shred through small things and dumb battleships just can't wait to chase you while your rear guns roast them alive with HE spam and you dodge all their shells. I've played maybe 10-15 games in the last month, sat in this ship and can still just wreck face. Its only real weakness is that it has no armor and seems to be highly prone to being bismark'd.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Made a pubbie mad after I got a magazine detonation off on his tier 7 jap destroyer with my konigsberg. He started poo poo talking me up and down the match, so after I finally got knocked out by a cleveland, I looked up his stats, pointed out he has a 45% win rate and is a detriment to any team he plays on. He got angry enough to message me after the match and say I must be a noob because I have a poo poo registration date. He blocked me after I started linking him screenshots from alpha testing. I may have lost the match and a few brain cells, but I won the arguement. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, starting off a match with "You're gonna get rekt like paris on a friday night" results in some hilarious threats and insults. :v:

EDIT: Oddly, the response to taking an atlanta into a match and saying "I'm gonna be shooting down planes like they're full of russians over egypt" doesn't get nearly as much of a response.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 15, 2015