Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I spent my last thousand tokens on camos because it has a credit bonus on it.

The ships'll be available for grind soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Q_res posted:

How am I supposed to play the Phoenix? I can't seem to effectively avoid fire like in a DD, but when it does get hit it just melts. When it's not burning.
As mentioned above, Phoenix play is mostly learning that you are made of paper and citadels and trying to shoot things without getting shot back. Because everybody knows that you're made of paper and citadels and will shoot you.

However, not quite mentioned above is that the Phoenix and Omaha have a pretty unusual gun setup, they have both turrets and casemates. What this means is that while most of your firepower is in broadsides, you don't lose a lot of it when you're firing straight ahead (or backwards in the Omaha's case. IIRC on the final hull upgrades for them both.) You can maneuver and still keep a lot of your guns in the action. So don't be afraid to do that.

Also while everybody knows the Phoenix is made of paper and citadels they forget that it has torpedoes. Don't forget this, getting kills with your torps is a rare but almost always hilarious opportunity.

James Garfield posted:

Everyone gets the same teams. If you're posting literally twice a day about how bad your teams are (or how you can't win because of russian bias, etc.), you're the reason they're bad.

Not everyone gets the same teams, some of us get NA teams and others of us get EU teams. The badness is universal but there are still differences.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TheFluff posted:

This usually means taking a fairly central position with your rear end towards the enemy and angled properly vs their BB's.
Don't angle butt-first towards the enemy unless you're kiting away from them and using the Iowa's speed to that advantage. The Iowa has a long citadel and shots landing on your butt will pen/citadel you from most of the BB's you'll face.
The ship comes into her own when you get the final hull upgrade and you can start turning her worth a dang (her turning radius and length still make it awkward but at least you can turn in emergencies now.)

TheFluff posted:

secondaries are bad and not funny, who cares

german ships are also universally bad and not funny, so double who cares
Tell that to the Graf Zepplin meme machines :v:

I think it's hilarious that the carrier that's most 'balanced' in the game (because it's aircraft are now mediocre at best) can get a high caliber by mostly ignoring it's aircraft (also 1500+ secondary hits is pretty ludicrous.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The DM isn't overpowered because it's not hard to kill. Most BB's it sees can citadel it from any angle and if it gives broadside to anything it'll get ripped in half too. SAP and HE also works pretty well against it. You really only have 6 guns to work with because if you bring your rear turret to bear against someone with their guns pointed at you, you're de-angled enough to have a bad time.

Also while 5.5 second reload on 203 MM guns with superheavy AP is great you're still going to take 2-4+ salvos to kill stuff with it unless dispersion magically grants you 6 citadels on your first one. As someone who regularly kills high-health BB's with my DM, they only have to hit you once while you have to hit them with like, 12+ salvos to kill them even with full pen AP damage. That's roughly two shots for them to end you with.

And finally, it really, really, really sucks to have even a single turret on your DM get destroyed. A string of battles where I had my turrets get blown up (including a game where I had both my front turrets nixed and had to deal with just my rear) is why I dropped my 19 point generic US CA captain on it for a John Doe with EM in the build. Because holy poo poo is it super annoying to only have half your effective firepower in the thing.

I actually did pretty well with only my butt turret that one game, but I was in full 'gently caress this match time to YOLO' mode and it just happened to work then.

TheFluff posted:

And what the gently caress is the deal with the Georgia seriously, people go "hurr durr Russian bias, OP Soviet paper ships with stupid gimmicks" when that loving thing is just... right there. It's bizarrely overtuned. Also loving hilarious to play, but like, seriously now.

Because like the DM above, the Georgia is not hard to kill. It's an Iowa hull and it only has 6 guns so it wants to bring all of them to bear as much as possible. Which means it'll give enough broadside to get punished for it.

Most of the 'omg so op' ships are because they don't blow up when you shoot them. Smolensks are small enough that normal dispersion and dodging can make them seem like they have a forcefield. Kremlins have a lot of HP and armor and need to be focused down by a lot of firepower when they're angled. Kleber's are stupidly fast and require adjusting your zoom to accurately shoot at them.

James Garfield posted:

It really doesn't. The difference between full AA spec and no AA spec is usually one plane per squadron, and it doesn't reduce the number of drops the CV gets. DFAA against a CV that doesn't hit flak is one plane or sometimes two, and rarely prevents a drop. The only thing with a meaningful effect is the fighter consumable, which still doesn't prevent the first drop but does prevent the second drop and kills as many planes as there are fighters. (side note: this means that the extra fighter plane skill gives similar effects to full AA spec, for one commander point) Even then, at high tier only battleships and CVs can usually take the fighter plane without giving up something else that would be more reliably useful.

For some boats, full AA can mean the difference between 'being dropped on once' and 'being dropped on twice' for people who pay attention to their AA ranges and thus get their sector reinforcement damage most of the time. I have yet to see a non-carrier fighter consumable that has done the same, even with an extra plane in there. They simply don't last long enough to prevent the carrier from taking a scenic route, de-aggroing the fighters and then coming back for a second/third drop.

Yes. Third. I've been dropped on three times in my Soyuz with my fighter consumable up. Mostly by Hakuryu's who just danced around it.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 18, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

James Garfield posted:

Among other things, Des Moines shits on literally every other cruiser in the game 1v1, and it has the concealment to force them to fight it 1v1.

Bow in Des Moines isn't using it to its full potential, if you play bow in you have the same dpm as a Hindenburg. Going all the way bow in also ironically makes you easier to citadel for BBs that don't overmatch 30 mm. It has 30 degree firing angles to the front and rear, so against ships that don't have improved AP angles you can fire all three turrets without showing the citadel.

Having six guns isn't a weakness when they're the most accurate BB guns in the game...

The catapult fighter consumable will reliably lock on and kill planes...
1v1 is up to the RNG whoever is OP. I've lost more 1v1's than I've won 1v2/3's. That's where the DM is overpowered, because it can kill ships really, really quickly when they show enough broadside to get citadel'd by it (or by HE if they're low enough on health.) Even then if one of those ships is flanking it can be a tossup on the DM taking that ship out or taking out that ship's teammates before being blown up. It's turret traverse isn't that great.

Taking out a bunch of pubbies/players that want to Win Harder 1v1 isn't unique to the DM anyway.

Similarly I've had more luck being bow in with my DM than trying to be greedy with my 3rd turret. Because here's the thing: you give a 30 degree angle to, say, a GK at 13-14km and you're also probably giving it a 25 degree angle on at least one of it's turrets. And that's asking to be citadel'd. Boats are big.

The Georgia does not have the most accurate BB guns in the game. That would be the Thunderer. I would say the Georgia is about on par, maybe a little worse than a Montana, I haven't had good luck or shots in mine when I take it out.

Here's what I've noticed through leveling the Russian BB line and what my fighter consumable did: Catapult fighters mostly locked on and killed planes that had already completed a drop on me and were gaining altitude to return the carrier. The only time I saw them engage and kill planes in an active flight was when that flight was flying through their radius and my fighters were oriented so that they locked on and did their thing immediately. 95% of the time the fighters did nothing. They would lock on and head on over, but they wouldn't kill any planes. Either because the carrier flight left their engagement zone, the CD would end, or the magical plane immunity carrier's get when they complete drops would have my fighters focus on the planes that had already dropped.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 18, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also just because you're in a torp focused DD doesn't mean you should ignore your guns. IJN torpedo boat guns suck because they traverse like battleship guns and have a slow reload, not because they have bad damage.

Sometimes you'll win fights by shooting things instead of torping them.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 19, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mosvka is tanky but it doesn't stand up to HE that well. It's pretty accurate and it's russian railguns make shooting even a speeding kleber at max range not too hard.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Report the lowest scorers for Unsporting Behavior, move on to the next match.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tears of the Desert is a little better than Islands of Ice and it's ilk (mountain range) because it at least has two sets of giant mountains dividing the map instead of a single one :v:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In an asymmetrical setup, i.e. 3-4-5 ships on your side, is there a way to tell if the enemy has a mirrored setup or switched?
Im tired of running into 5-6 ships on my 3-ship side and getting utterly wasted.
You'll only find out reliably if you have a carrier on your team and they sweep the enemy ASAP so you get an idea of how their spawn was laid out and where they're all heading. Anecdotally most of the time I find it to be a perfect mirror, unless Divs are involved. Then it could literally be anything because they all spawn together, so you can have ridiculous setups like 7-3-2 (because of two 3 man divs or three divs in general.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ocean is an overrated map because islands are your only real friends in this game and it has none of those.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 22, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

James Garfield posted:

Ocean is the smallest tier 10 map, but you have access to the whole map and there are no islands blocking line of sight so getting spotted pushing a flank doesn't instantly get you focused by the whole enemy team like on Shards or Greece (even though those maps are bigger).
I call BS on this. Every time I open fire with my DM on Ocean my PT goes up to 5-7 instantly and I've got tons of HE and AP shells coming in at me from all directions.
Even when I'm hanging back and screening BB's for DD's, I still get sniped at by several of the battleships on the enemy team. (I do the same to enemy cruisers in my BB's when I get Ocean on them.)

That's the other side of the double-edged sword that is Ocean. The entire map is open. You can be shot by everyone who has range on you. Most Ocean battles I've seen (and won) that weren't one-sided stomps were of teams that could accurately shoot and sink ships across the map.

No ship in the game can withstand or dodge that amount of shells being fired at it. They can get lucky breaks, but so can the people shooting them.

madfury posted:

Good day gents,
I just started playing and after reaching tier 5-6 I start seeing that everyone except dds just hug map borders ALL the time. I play mostly cruisers so Id like to not be closest to the enemy team. Is this something that is mid tier symptom or is the high tier gameplay basically just hugging borders and lobbing poo poo at max range? I do not enjoy this type of gameplay (a la strv type redline sniping in wot) so if this is indeed the correct way to play this game, then I dont think Ill be continuing.
In addendum to what TheFluff said, it's way easier to dodge shells that take 10 to 15-ish seconds to land on you because that's a lot of time to change course/speed with. At higher tiers the maps also get bigger and while some boats can shoot out to mid 20km range, those are almost always hail mary 'let's see if I get lucky/they don't dodge this' shots.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

James Garfield posted:

Your game plan in random battles shouldn't revolve around sitting behind a rock and shooting reversing BBs. It's nice when you get a chance to do it, but you'll be far more effective if you figure out how to play US cruisers in open water.
And sometimes the answer to that is 'don't play in open water.'
If you have to hide behind an island and farm damage on boats in the early game to keep your HP up so you can trade it away for kills/a win in the late game, that's what you do.

The DM, even with legendary mod, doesn't have the speed or range to open water gunboat as well as a Henri or a Hindenburg. It's not that hard to hit at 15km and any BB with 457mm won't care about whatever angling your doing. Even if you're angled to get autobounces, shells are perfectly capable of flying over your angled bow and citadeling you through your deck plating.

All game plans should revolve around shooting and sinking enemy boats. Sometimes you can get away with sailing around in open water, guns blazing. Sometimes you need to hunker down behind an island to stay alive while shooting boats.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

toadee posted:

Like, it's impossible to just write out a step by step guide on it, but, as a cruiser, you just get a feel for when to extend on a flank (by paying attention to the enemy deployment and knowing where is going to be the safest spot for you to be in relation to their guns), and when people will be focusing on you/able to be focused on you.
Also because no plan survives contact with the enemy (and in WoWs case, that can also include your teammates.)

Open water gunboating and using your concealment to dictate your engagements is great until a DD sneaks into your spotting range to keep you lit up (and good ones will ride the gap between your detection and radar range.)
Similarly, island camping and being a big pain for the enemy to push into is great unless you have a DD that swings wide around the map edge and lights you up from there. Or a Carrier who decides you're public enemy #1 and throws planes at you.

TheFluff posted:

The trick is to get into a position where they have to turn their guns like at least 90 degrees to shoot at you before opening up.

Which is next to impossible on Ocean. Someone will be able to shoot you within 20 seconds of you firing. And they will try and shoot you especially if you're in a DM because even mediocre players on NA know those things are scary.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

toadee posted:

Did you watch the Des Moines game I linked or any of M3s vids? He's 100% spotted almost all the time. It's not about being a ninja, it's about putting yourself in the places where you can't or won't be hit.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/587787154?t=02h56m47s gives me a 'unless you have a time machine this content isn't available' error and it's incredibly annoying trawling twitch stuff looking for specific segments out of all the streams. I didn't see any of their DM play on Ocean in the time between my last post and this one.

So no.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hazdoc posted:

sometimes i really wonder if I'm playing the same game as the other posters in this thread

Same. EU/NA servers are pretty varied already.

James Garfield posted:

And yet the official word of the developers is that German DDs are fine. :psyduck:

You forget the natural prey of the German DD: the DD's who only have torpedoes (because they never fire their guns despite having them) :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also Shchors can really make DD's weep with it's Russian Railguns. It even has pretty good turret angles for firing front and aft.