Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not officially. There's fan-translations for a handful, see https://07th-mod.com/home/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Speaking of which, what is the best way to read Ever17 these days? As far as I can tell the only English release is still the physical one from 2005, and from what I recall that one has several translation issues. Is there a good fanpatch or something?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Droyer posted:

I bought AI: The Somnium Files over black friday and finished it this weekend. I really enjoyed it! I figured out who the killer was before the reveal and felt smrt. My only real issues were that none of the close-combat action scenes really felt impactful, and any non-named character had some of the most ridiculously bad aim I've ever seen in fiction. I did think it was weird how the game brought in parallel universes towards the end but never really explained how they worked. Literally everything else was explained so it feels weird to have this one thing still hanging. Also it was probably an oversight but big lol at the power of dance healing Hitomi's arm in the grand finale.

re the spoiler-tagget bits: Have you played the author's other works, mainly the Zero Escape games? He likes to play with those kind of themes. If you're curious about the exploration of those maybe check out his other games.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So I'm finally reading Umineko after years of it being in my 'you should really play this' game backlog, and, well, let's just have a big spoiler block of vague rambling I guess. Up to end of arc 2.

While I'm enjoying it quite a bit, I'm not entirely sure *what* it is we, as in Battler, should be accomplishing here. I think it's best summed up with this screenshot: Why are we so vehemently opposed to magic or at least something extremely magic-like being involved when we, as the player at least (and by the end even in-game Battler, given that banquet), have had multiple scenes of things that I really find hard to possibly explain otherwise. Heck, even some of the locked rooms in this 2nd run of the game I cannot even try to form a sensible non-magic theory about with all the red text restrictions given by Beatrice. So what are we doing here??

Then there's that big riddle on the epitaph which... I don't really have a theory about yet either. I mean the second page at least vaguely makes sense, but even that has several oddities if we try to apply it to the deaths as they happened during our two games so far. In the second game even the order of the 4th to 8th twilight kills seems off compared to what actually happened, and who knows what happened to Kinzo in game 1. The 'witch shall revive, and none shall be left alive' part is also super sketchy IMO -- Beatrice has been running around doing stuff the entire 2nd game at least, why would she not count as 'revived' before that? Also the rewards on the last page seem inconsistent with what the scrolling 'game results' at the end of each arc show us... I dunno what to make of all this yet, but I strongly suspect this all has a very different meaning than the 'obvious' reading of it. The first page might as well be gibberish for now, too.

As for the actual game rules, I got nothing so far. There's definitely a pattern or method here that the game's pushing me to figure out -- I'm guessing stuff like why people die when and how we can predict Beatrice's 'moves' to protect against them?? -- but no real clue yet.

I dunno. Again, I am quite enjoying the experience, but at the same time this game is making me feel quite dumb, haha.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 20, 2020

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

This is oversimplifying or glossing over a fair bit but ultimately "a witch did it" means you need not think about the why, the how, or even possibly the who depending upon your perspective. And that closes the door not only on the mystery itself but also the story that wraps around it.

Yeah that's fair enough, but IMO those two things are not fully in conflict as Umineko makes them out to be. You can absolutely have supernatural elements and still build up a logically consistent and solvable mystery -- look at the original Phoenix Wright trilogy for a perfect example.

But yeah I'll definitely revisit this after each arc, the game's clearly not done talking about it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Partway through Umineko arc 3.

So if I'm understanding this Braun tube analogy correctly, basically what we're saying is that we can only be sure of the result we actually observe as 'character Battler' and anything that we only see from our 'player Battler' position is effectively only an explaination for those results as given by the 'player Beatrice' that may or may not be true until proven in either direction.

That sounds convoluted as hell, but I think I get it. It means that if I can find a solution how the current situation happened without invoking magic, and that does not contradict either the stuff actually observed by 'character Battler' or any of the red text given by Beatrice and her allies, *this also counts as the truth until proven otherwise*, even if both our explanations contradict eachother. Neither becomes the actual truth until either of us accepts the explanation of the other -- which explains why at the end of game 2 obviously magical things started happening once Battler surrendered to Beatrice! The act of surrendering made it the truth!

Quite an interesting way to look at this! I'll keep this in mind for the future.

...That's what I had written up before reaching the Beatrice succession ceremony and now I don't even know what this game is doing anymore. What the hell.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Finished Umineko arc 3, more rambling. There's also some allusions to Higurashi in this block of text, so tread carefully if you haven't read the 8 main arcs of that one.

What a loving wild ride this is. You got me, Beato! I totally played along until the banquet at the end, where it was pretty clear something was wrong. The game even put up big red warning signs, ah well...

So since Eva was the culprit in this one, with her husband being an accomplice (well, for some part of it anyway, considering he ended up dead too...), suspecting family is fair game now. Though specifics still elude me; Nanjo's death in particular has been pretty locked out of anything sensible with all the red statements. I'll admit I couldn't quite follow the bit about Eva and Rosa solving the epitaph, though the way some of it was described makes me wonder if it's even solvable without Kanji trickery... I'll also note that all they solved was the first couple lines, the rest still makes no sense if you deny magic, which makes me wonder if their reading of it was even correct at all. More to think about I suppose.

At this point I'm also wondering how much consistency there is loop to loop. Like, how about that story about Rosa meeting a young Beatrice and her falling off a cliff? Is that always true? Hell, is it even true *this loop*?? (If so, how do we explain her appearance in arc 2?) I assume it's not always Eva as the culprit, purely because of meta-wise it being odd to reveal that in arc 3 already if it applies to all of it, which raises the question of who it was in the first two. There's also statements like this one that are phrased so specifically that they don't really exclude a '19th person' in games 1 or 2 -- or indeed game 4, if I'm getting that part about Ange correctly! I can see parallels to the Higurashi arc 7 -> 8 transition in that scene with Ange and Bernkastel at the end here, where we need an 'extra piece' in order to actually 'win' this, but at the same time we're not even close to the end, and they even said that it's quite likely that, if any, all we can rescue is a single family member... Definitely interesting where this is going.

Since the game is urging me to do that, it's probably a good idea to formulate some actual theories about the mysteries presented before going to the answer arcs, but there's still another arc to go before that and I need some time to process all that happened here, so I'll probably do that after arc 4. We'll see if I can come up with something logical.

e: Oh yeah, almost forgot. What's up with this description? Is the game implying that Battler is in on it?

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 28, 2020

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

MegaZeroX posted:

I really wanna hear if you have any theories about Nanjo's death in chapter 3?

Still Umineko 3.

Yeah that one is a hard one. The only thing I can even think of is that Eva-Beatrice is playing loose with the timing of the thing; her list of 'X is dead, Y is alive' applies to right when she says it (since it includes Nanjo) but by the time Nanjo was alive *someone else could still have been alive too*, so whoever that may be killed Nanjo and died (killed? suicide? double-kill between Nanjo and them?) before we ended up discussing it. She pretty much ruled out anything else with that gigantic list of red statements.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I really think the original art is the way to go for Higurashi, bad as they may seem at first glance, because none of the later revisions get the mood and expressiveness right in the way the original does. It's too bad how hard they made it to use them while also retaining the original audio these days though, which I also feel is quite essential to the experience.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Still going through Umineko, partway through arc 4...

I need to put my thoughts in order a little bit here.

Okay, so of course, on a meta level I understand that the whole "it's not magic <-> it's magic" game between Battler and Beatrice is supposed to represent readers of the VN making sensible theories and whatnot, but if we just look at this from a more 'in-universe' perspective... the game is really not making a great case for denying magic actually being the right thing, is it? We have the escapism analogy for both private-school-Ange and Maria (holy loving poo poo is Rosa a terrible mom, by the by) which you could argue is a bad thing in some ways, but then the game even goes out of its way to point out that it's making the people themselves happy so maybe it's good? Then Ange goes ahead and concludes that magic is real to any given person as long as they believe in it, regardless of what other people think, which kinda makes the whole Battler <-> Beatrice battle moot in the first place? I'm not entirely sure what the game is getting at yet, I guess is what I'm saying.

Also I have no idea how the Ange-of-1998 scenes are supposed to fit into this. Isn't her very existance (and old Eva's) proving that the conclusion of game 3 was the 'real' ending, for her anyway? (see also: those supposedly Beatrice-written bottle messages with the contents of games 1 and 2, and that signed page in Maria's notebook) Or are we expanding that 'truth is what someone accepts as truth' definition here, and we can still change everything as long as Ange herself accepts that the change is real? I guess that scene with Lambdadelta yelling at Ange was getting at that but Ange kinda failed to counter her.

Oh and what the gently caress is up with the timeline between Ange and Maria?? How did Ange denying Maria's magic in her school life (which is definitely *after* the Rokkenjima disaster) affect Maria while she was still alive and living with Rosa (which must have been before that)?? How literal are we supposed to take any of these Maria/Rosa scenes?

Don't actually answer any of this, by the way, this is mostly just me giving myself stuff to think about. Unless I'm, like, actively misunderstanding a premise here or something.

Aynway, even if it feels like I'm still accumulating questions at a faster rate than I can formulate even halfway sensible answers for them, this is a shockingly engaging read. Very much enjoying it still.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 2, 2021

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Umineko arc 4

That reveal about Maria's spell to make her mom always love her killed me. I haven't felt emotions like that in a long time, goddamn.

I need some time to process this. More thoughts later.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Alright, here's my big Umineko Question Arcs effortpost. Spoilers, obviously. Please excuse any rambling, repeats, or inconsistencies here, I wrote this over the course of like three days, adding bits every once in a while.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158067

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

More Umineko. Still in the middle of arc 5, but I figured I had enough notes already.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158105

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Umineko 5

don't call me out like this gameeeeee

Man that was kinda depressing actually. Natsuhi did not deserve this. And with the 'human side' having won (yeah gently caress that, Bern winning should not count as that!), how do we even go on from here...?

(I'll note that my theory about the dead bodies on the beach suddenly is plausible again though. Curious.)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Turns out seagulls can't cry, I can't believe I've been duped by this stupid game.

For what it's worth, it's 'cry' as in 'producing a loud noise', not 'cry' as in 'shedding tears'.

e: Although looking it up, it could be an intentional wordplay that happens to work in both languages; the titles use only hiragana, which could be either: https://jisho.org/search/%E3%81%AA%E3%81%8F

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 22, 2021

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Alright I've been sitting on this for weeks now and I'm at a point where I clearly just need to post these. Umineko spoilers up to the end of chapter 6.

First off, closing remarks for chapter 5: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158216

Then, futile ramblings about the epitaph: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158217

And then thoughts on chapter 6 in three parts: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158218

...Rereading over some of these I can't help but feel some sort of despair seeping out between the lines of my own writing, but really, I don't mean it like that, I think. I guess it's probably my current frustrations with the world at large affecting my thoughts here.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

Two random thoughts about the witch's epitaph:
-What was the inscription over Kuwadora or whatever that was in the picture with Kumasawa's son in Episode 4? It was something about a one a trillion chance or something, right?

'This door is opened only at a probability of a quadrillion to one. You will be blessed only at a probability of a quadrillion to one'. I believe it's the inscription on the chapel.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Alright here's my Umineko post chapter 6 theorycrafting post. Enjoy? https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158309

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Umineko chapter 7 wrap-up stuff: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158337

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Not done with Umineko Ch8 yet but I figured someone might care about me working through Bernkastel's mystery game: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158411

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Procrastine posted:

Higurashi Chapter 8
I notice there's one steam achievement left. Is that additional content or is it just something like "don't make any mistakes during fragment assembly"?

It is indeed exactly that, but that also gives you a small extra scene.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

yeah it rules

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Erika rules, without her the latter half of Umineko would be far less fun.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I find it very funny you're ridiculing this when Ace Attorney has had spirit channeling mechanics that actually play into things, from the beginning of the series even.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

ahahaha that's incredible

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

oh god the one below that is even better, spoilers though: https://twitter.com/silenttakedown/status/1506028703645581321

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Lammasu posted:

What's an ADV? I looked it up and didn't find anything.

It's the Japanese 'super-genre' all of these games fall into, more or less. The entire thing is complicated, and the terminology has kinda diverged between Japanese and Western over the years. This video gives a good summary if you're interested in the JP etymology.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

There's totally a scene select once you've finished an episode, just begin it from the start again and answer to cast the time magic or whatever it asks.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

This prompt:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Are there any verdicts on the official translation? I'm a bit cautious after the mess that was Chaos;Head, and Type Moon doesn't have an English track record yet.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Chaos;Head they replaced the full translation with their own that they were working on for years before the official release. Robotics;Notes they did 'only' replace/fix about a third. This series does not have very good English releases.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Also in case it's unclear (I certainly didn't realize this on my first run), you can open up the phone at key points to do an action and that can actually affect the outcome of a scene.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I'd recommend AI The Somnium Files for $8 if you don't have that yet.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Eva fans sign off! If you are a fan of Eva who is way cooler than her lame husband and son, quote this post.

is... is there anyone who thinks otherwise?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Nerdietalk posted:

The Switch version of 13S is also notable for giving characters different skills for different mechs. The normal version of 13S really let you spam sentries into victory, but scaling that down and giving everyone compelling mechanics to utilize really adds a new wonderful layer to the game.

This was also patched into the PS4 version a few months later, so it's not Switch-exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Just finished reading Misericorde Volume 1. Very enjoyable, but I have not even the slightest idea what's actually going on. This is definitely something that would benefit from a reread with a notepad open.