Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My interest in this game is nearly 100% about Cryodil but a decent solo leveling experience is also important.

How have those aspects shaped up since release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well god help me I just purchased an MMO.

Are any of the goon guilds both A) Not Dominion, and B) At least semi-active in Cyrodil?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can I get an invite for the Daggerfall guild and crafting guild? user is @ChompingGrounds

I'll probably make a Pact guy soonish as well, don't know if I'm supposed to wait on that before requesting invite.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok that's fine. Forget Daggerfall if it's dead, Ebonheart sounds good as I plan on making a lizard person soon anyway.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Am I making permanent decisions when allocating level up stats/skills/morphs or can they be reset? How inconvenient/expensive is it to do so?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Are the Add-on recommendations in the OP still current? I need a little more feedback in Cryodil than "red thing means you probably hit something" and I want to make sure I'm not hoping on obsolete downloads.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm guessing the PvP imbalance shenanigans must be an endgame thing. In the non-veteran campaign it's been back and forth all over. As Covenant we started strong by capping a scroll, then got driven by both sides practically to our gates two days ago. (losing the scroll). Then yesterday we roared back out and slammed the areas around to Imperial City, crowned an emperor, and ended the night with four scrolls in our possession. Good action all around.

Loving Cryodil so far. I'll probably end up living in it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A friend of mine saw me playing this game and asked if "Mage Knight" is a thing you can be in ESO. By this I'm pretty sure she means "a person in heavy armor who uses spells/physical combat in equal measure". I'm still a fresh faced scrub whose only experience is night blade and a bit of dragon knight so I wasn't sure.

Do sorcerers fit the bill? They can use class skills (spells) while having a melee weapon equipped right? I think the key here is being able to use both without having to go "ok I'm in physical mode so it's time for physical skills... ok now I'm in magic mode so it's time for spells" but rather being able to do either seemlessly.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Thanks for the advice about a mage knight build folks. Neither me nor my friends really care about high level PvE stuff so it's good to hear that you can basically build however you want 1-49, especially in Cyrodil.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

vug posted:

Why is every single PVP server yellow

Who knows, these things change with the winds. Daggerfall just won the last non-Vet campaign with AD in a distant third.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barometer posted:

Ebonheart Pact would be Morrowind. I was thinking of going with Daggerfall, I don't really know why, it just sounds cool. I assume different characters can be in different ones, or is that not possible?

Your account is not bound to an alliance if that is what you're asking. You can have separate characters in different alliances.

There is no way to change a character's alliance however.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What's a good way to acquire improvement ingredients for crafting?

Is it just deconstructing stuff?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll keep doing the crafting writs although they seem lackluster so far, but that might be because I'm only like level 20.

Also what does inspiration do? I can't figure that one out and I'm thinking it's a Veteran thing?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Funkmaster General posted:

No, I know this. What I meant is that I hope I'm not the only one who went ebonheart (looks like at least one other goon did), because I don't want to run 3 separate characters just to play with goons.

Nobody knows where the dust will settle since everyone has their own preference for faction, and goon guilds are often over hyped, barely active, and dead in a month. I say just play whatever you want if you really feel left out later you can always reroll.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lysandus posted:

I was planning on going Daggerfall on PS4. Why is it the worst?

People say it has a generically less interesting campaign/quests. I can't confirm because my only character is Daggerfall but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway because I barely do any PvE. I live in Cryodil and Daggerfall won the last campaign (non-vet) and was just taking the lead in the current one when I logged off last night. They're doing fine on the battlefield so that's good enough for me :black101:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jabro posted:

That's pretty impressive since I heard DC is severely out-manned.

We might be in the vet campaigns but in the non-vet it's not so bad. And honestly coordination counts for much more than numbers unless it's an extreme difference and we have two or three guilds doing good work for us.

Last night for example I rallied 20 or so people just by inviting LFGs from zone chat. Then a big guild came on and starting pushing, and I coordinated with one of their members in zone chat. He would direct me where we were needed since they had more information than us. We would defend areas under attack so the guild could push, harass other areas to draw attention, or join them when they needed more raw manpower to storm a keep.

It turns out that a little organization and effort goes a long way.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sogol posted:

Not to start a thing, but why are people playing this on console instead of PC? I should say I don't play console games and don't really understand the appeal in general. I am legitimately curious. Oh no... Maybe I am console curious.

I personally prefer PC for this type of thing but I can see the appeal. The obvious reason would be "don't have a decent gaming PC". But really ESO is very casual for an MMO (and I don't mean that as a burn) and I can see people preferring the "couch and friends" approach. Also the interface is already perfectly suitable for console controls.

Honestly the main reason I got the PC version instead of waiting for console is because I very much wanted to get into Cyrodil and doing PvP in a non-embarrassing fashion is just much easier on PC. But if I was just playing for the PvE experience and occasion dungeon dive I could very much see myself going for the console version instead, especially if I had interesting friends.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KING BONG posted:

Is there a seperate thread for consoles, or information about console guilds available here?

This game really doesn't warrant separate threads for PC/Console.

The guilds will be in a constant state of flux for a few weeks anyway, once it's settled whoever leads it/them can send info for the OP.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Non-vet Cyrodill continues to defy the "AD supremacy" doctrine. Daggerfall won the last campaign by a decent but not overwhelming margin, and with about 3 hours left in the current campaign the Pact is poised to win a narrow victory. In both cases the Dominion is taking last place although they have at least claimed an emperor in the twilight of this campaign.

I have a striking suspicion that the non-vet Cyrodill is the only good Cyrodill. In vet campaigns the factions can simply each claim their own personal buff zone and then half-heartedly compete for an extra. This is, frankly, "really gay". In non-vet there is only one show in town. You make it or you don't, it's this zone or bust. This makes everyone more apt to give it their all and really fight for the win.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

radintorov posted:

On the bright side, even if you buy the cheapest non-Cash Shop horse (I think it's around 10000 in-game money), it is unlocked for every single character you make on your account.

Is this true for riding skills as well?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Hmm... last campaign I got reward tier 2 and it was just gold. Nice pot of gold but just gold. I got tier 3 this time so at least I'll probably get some extra..."

:eyepop: Wow wow wee wah! Nobody told me you could get gold level gear for Cyrodill participation!

Also...

Only character level 26, just two weeks into game, ONE OF THE MOST FEARED WARRIORS :black101:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Aloofa posted:

Although I enjoyed this game on PC at launch I find playing on PS4 much more enjoyable. But one thing brings the experience to a grinding halt and that's hearing a loving baby crying while I'm listening to an NPC. I had chat switched off but nope, that baby was crying still. Also walking now around hearing people breathing and clearing their throats is awful. It always blares through my speakers.

Welcome to Console Gaming.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Esroc posted:

It's World of Warcraft with an Elder Scrolls paintjob.

As someone who has played both games this statement is wrong. They fairly different as far as MMOs go. If ESO is just WoW with a new paint job then every MMO is just WoW with a paint job.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Scyantific posted:

So, they've narrowed the reasons for the crashes down to something having to do with recipes. So as long as you don't go near a cooking fire or hover over a recipe in your inventory you'll be crash free.

Talos help you if you loot one from a mob though.

It's more than just recipes. Just looking at potions/food/drinks in my inventory invites a crash.

The entire consumables section is a hazard as far as I can tell.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like almost all of these proposed PvP changes but am I the only one who thinks the new scoring ideas are kind of insane?

Either everything is worth equal campaign points, and a scroll is just as valuable as a random lumber mill, or most things are worthless and only one type of capture on the map counts. I mean I get the concept of shaking things up but this seems a little extreme.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 16, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RCarr posted:

What is the best way to play with friends when there is a level difference? Have the lowest level lead the group and do dungeons, so everything scales to his level? PvP?

PvP has no level barriers whatsoever other than vet/non-vet, so it always works as a good group activity.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yesterday was the (at least) third consecutive win for Daggerfall Covenant in the non-vet campaign.

Paint it blue baby! Those tier 3 campaign rewards are juicy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like this game because a lot of the good parts of Warhammer: Online live on in Cyrodiil without most of the game-crippling mismanagement.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Berke Negri posted:

Finally sold off my spare copy of Psijic Ambrosia V piece for 150k.

Kind of wondering if I should just sell off my other last copy because A) no telling prices will remain this high and B) no clue on how long it will take for me to get the other six recipe pieces. Three months out it may be cheaper and quicker to just buy them all if prices crash.

I'm not an ESO expert but everything I know about MMOs in general says sell because of point A. The price is almost certainly at an artificial high right now because of launch scarcity and will only go down.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Man, I underestimated the character creator in this game at first. I would have put more effort into designing my first character (a redguard male) if I'd known it could produce really good results. I really like how my sorceress turned out.

Lying in ambush with an orcy friend

At work enchanting

Greeting from Cyrodiil, wishing you were here!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ruiner posted:

Playing with screaming kids in the background is annoying.

PC supremacy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

xxEightxx posted:

Is crafting set items as big of a pain in the rear end as I think is based off what I've read? Is it realistically possible for a character to craft any of these items without either an immense amount of forethought and planning or a crafting alt?

I don't know what you've read but it's actually pretty easy. There are really only two things you need to do to get on track for crafting sets...

1) Do research
2) Spread the research out.

Crafting set items is exactly like crafting regular items except you have to have the required number of traits researched per piece and you have to do it at the proscribed location. Some sets require only a little research (2 traits is the minimum), some require much more. You can easily be crafting the lower research sets by the time your first character is a week old or so if you keep your research going. The higher requirement ones will obviously take longer though.

So for example say you want to make Ashen Grip pieces. Ashen grip only requires two traits of research. So if you have two traits researched for say... helmet, chest, shoulders, boots, and 2h sword, you simply go to location and make the pieces as normal. The research is on a per piece basis and they can be any traits you want.

There is a full list of crafted sets here: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets (open the page and then tab over to the "crafted sets". This will show how much research is needed for each set, what it does, and where you craft it.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 1, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

xxEightxx posted:

Right and of its a set that requires five traits I have to have five trains researched on all items I want to craft it in, so if it's a set with five pieces each piece I craft will need five traits unlocked right?

Correct.

Not sure what exactly you mean by a "set with five pieces" though unless you just mean making five pieces for the full bonus. To clarify for anyone who doesn't know, set gear can be anything. If you're crafting a set you can make the bonus any combination of heavy/medium/light armor, and/or weapons/bows/staves/shields. It should be noted that only equipped weapons count however, a weapon on your off bar will not contribute.

Also keep in mind that sets max out at a five piece bonus but you have 7 armor slots + weapon. You can have more than one active set bonus. You can, for example, wear five pieces of Twilight's Embrace for the full bonus, plus three more (two armors + weapon) of The Seducer for a partial bonus from that set. Both will apply.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah what happened? Was there an post, a podcast, or a stream or something?

Maybe link what you're talking about or at least a brief summary.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Thanks, I'll be watching when I get home from work.

Any Cyrodiil news?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You are playing the game correctly, in all aspects of what you just discussed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can someone with no knowledge than me explain if there are any serious ramifications to the battle leveling change in non-VR Cyrodiil? And also if there are any times when it makes more sense to opt-out than opt-in to it (in non-VR).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lunimeow posted:

My question is i heard there was some kind of pack that lets you be in any alliance with any race, is that pack worth it?

This is a question you're supposed to ask yourself, not other people. Do you care about playing races in different alliances or not?

As for the Imperials, all races have their uses and none are really OP.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mizuti posted:

I can't imagine having to play on console. The ability to text chat and use addons is a godsend.

*Plays on console*

*Constantly has skyshardmap.jpg open on computer screen*

*Never advances mages guild*

• Locked thread