Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Berke Negri posted:

Their instances for your faction, not the actual factions early zones. So everyone running around will be VR+ like you from your faction, not other low level players.

The population also varies greatly, I generally run into 1 or 2 other people but not the dozens/hundreds you run into in the 1-50 areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Siets posted:

2. The only way I have found so far to fix microstuttering in all cases and for the game to feel much smoother to the eye is: Run the game in Fullscreen. Not Windowed. Not Fullscreen (Windowed) either. Just plain old Fullscreen.

No idea why this works but it does and it helps a boatload. One thing you can do is switch to Fullscreen, then switch back to Fullscreen (Windowed). After the game has been Fullscreen just for a bit, it then retains whatever behind-the-scenes magic that it had which fixes the microstuttering (note: I have not tested to see if this persists when traveling between zones that requires loading.) However, it's annoying to do this back-and-forth every time I want to play the game so I am going to just suck it up and play Fullscreen from now on.

My system details for anyone that cares: Intel Core i5-4670K, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 770.

My guess as to why this helps is because with windowed and fullscreen windowed your computer is still rendering the desktop and using processing power for any "updates" to the desktop/taskbar etc, whereas in true fullscreen mode it does not render the desktop unless you alt-tab or windows key or whatever to it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

JackBadass posted:

Motherf... 14.

You forgot Windows CE

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Someone should shoot me an invite to the NA PC guild, @JStuart00

MF_James
May 8, 2008

JackBadass posted:

Fat lot of good that does anyone in vet levels. No one ever does the anchors in Cadwel's. Only place to find active anchors is in the home faction, but those stop giving chests if you're too high a level.

"Or are they fixing that?", he asked, already knowing the answer...

I've done all the anchors in cad's silver, almost done with gold, there's (almost) always people to do them with, if you play really off hours maybe they will lack people

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Never got the invite to the guild, can you send another one? @JStuart00

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Soulex posted:

There's a weird lag time between the log in and character select screen. Like sometimes it takes five minutes or just straight times out.

Does this only happen after downloading a new patch? You will have a bit of time between char select and actual game after downloading a new patch, I believe it is doing :something: in regards to applying/loading the new patch.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I'm still somewhat surprised I haven't been name changed/suspended or whatever for my name(s): Slutatron and Nottaslut

It took a while for me to get name changed in WoW too, I made it all the way until the opening of sunwell, but I was dumb and hung around during the event where it opened and a GM saw me. He laughed but then said he had to change it :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

There's your problem. Zenimax GMs are almost non-existent in the game. You'll be fine.

I figured someone would have reported my name though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a guide to which sets drop/come from where?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Set+item+guide+elder+scrolls

One of the top 5 pages should give you what you want, it's now your mission to find it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

I have a question. I keep hearing about stam builds and magic builds, etc. but I'm not sure how it all comes together. Like, If I wanted to play an Orc dragonknight stam does that mean I only take abilities that use stamina or morph into skills that use stamina? Sounds like a dumb question so I'm probably overthinking this or something.

short answer Yes, long answer yes and no. Stam build means that basically you're going to be using all stam skills, but some (such as stam sorc) still will have a magicka based ability or two, but they won't be your big spenders.

I just swapped to stam sorc, and I'm still leveling a few abilities but basically I threw all attribute points to stamina except 10 into health(I should have just made 1 or 2 health enchants instead of dropping points into health), all my enchants are stam, and all my abilities except 1 use stam, my 1 magicka ability is crit surge, which I basically use once a fight unless it's a boss I might slam it a second time, and I might add a second magicka ability, but it as well will be a buff because I won't have enough magicka to throw down a bunch of damage abilities.

So, basically, you are going to be building your skills/gear/CP/attribute/everything around stamina/magicka, making your pool higher, your regen higher, 90% of your abilities will spend it and your gear will increase it/decrease the cost of abilities that use it etc.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah, since you only need to get to 50 and CP is static across all classes you just gotta grind to 50 (can be done quickly if you're not doing all the dumb side quests etc) and you're ready to go.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RentACop posted:

Is the account support side of this game terrible and slow or have I done something wrong such that I can't get them to send a password reset or an account creation email after an hour

I've had these emails take a while as well, the few times I've had to use their services it's been anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours.

Some content: Just swapped to stam, but it looks like thundering presence morph was changed, should I still be using Hurricane, should I use the other morph, or is there something else that's better now?

Also, when do you guys usually run stuff? I'm finally getting a bit more into the game (I've been playing since release, level 50 230ish CP) and I'd like to do some dungeon stuff, I've literally never run a group dungeon because GF and I just quest and do stuff together.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Hurricane + Major Expedition + Orc speed passive = literally zipping around the battlefield murdering things.

I'm AD an uh gently caress if I remember what race honestly, definitely not one that's racials deal with stam.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Virigoth posted:

I'm not sure if the difficulty isn't tweaked in the first DC area or what but I've been steadily doing quests 2 lvls or so above my lvl with no issue. For a first area the quests were pretty good I thought for the MMO game scene and I actually read the flavor text some. When I move to the next "place" does the leveling get harder or is it just a slow steady grind until 50?

Yeah it's pretty steady and if you explore and do everything in each area you will outlevel everything by 2-4 levels the whole way through.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah, I recommend leveling everything while you level, it's easier to do while you level up than it is later.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I'd say bagspace from mount is somewhat useful for leveling since you will be able to hold more stuff which turns into not having to find a merchant/go to town for a longer period.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Typicallyi skills will use magicka until you level them to 4 and can morph them, then you get a stamina and magicka option.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

floydpepper posted:

I'm still pretty new to the game. I seem to be out leveling areas. I'm level 20 now and do many quests were grey before I finished the area.
Took a boat ride and the quests are green. Is it going to be an issue being over level?

Also in regards to skill points and crafting, I am so afraid of spending skill points because I feel like every choice is wrong. But it's it reasonable to expect to be able to max out 3 crafting lines. Say blacksmithing, clothier, and enchanting, while still being able to get all the thieving and killing skills needed?

I maxed out provisioning woodworking and clothing on my main and I've got TONS of skill points all over the place, I basically have 2 other full builds (mag and stam), I'm short a point or two at the moment, but I've got plenty of skyshards to grab. You will not run into issues really unless you are trying to get all the skills, and even then I would recommend, if you want to switch playstyles later and are short on skill points, just blow away all the morphs for like 2000gp which will net you a good amount of skill points.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

There's an argonian NPC named like Deep-in-cups at that bar in Davons Watch. I was like, drat dude your parents didn't set you up for success with that name. Please, name your arginine wisely.

Nah his parents didn't name him that, he's been the town drunk so long, he forgot his own name, so people just started calling him that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I have objectively the best name for a cat (it's already claimed, by me of course) Hates-Cats

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Orv posted:

Super extra don't buy riding lessons with crowns. If they were like, 10 crowns a pop or something maybe, but they're absolutely not worth it in any capacity as they are.

Yeah, do not buy riding lessons, sure it sucks that it (essentially) takes 180 days (I think 60 per skill?) to max everything for the horse, but that poo poo is too expensive in crowns.
'
I recommend buying a horse if you don't have one because gently caress paying cash for that, buying extra mounts that you think are fun, and other cosmetic stuff that you can't get in game. Everything that you CAN get in-game that is also in the crown store is just overpriced as gently caress.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Alexander DeLarge posted:

So I'm allegedly approaching a content drought between levels 30-40, is this true? And would this be a good time to do that expansion DLC that I've been avoiding?

I don't think you should approach any sort of content drought, at least not from what i recall. Although I did tend to take things slower, did literally EVERY quest, and sometimes had to fight through things twice because a quest sent me back to a dungeon I'd already done or whatever.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

Last time I played through the actual story 1-50 I was halfway through VR 1 before finishing the main quest so that was before they made exp rewards better in various ways.

I think anyone saying there is a content draught for that level range is either confused or its from a real old source.

Yeah I was quarter of the way to VR2 when I started cadwell's silver.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Also, if you are running low on space, start another character, have him pull whatever poo poo out of your shared bank, bam instant 60 more slots (more if you put money into his bag space). Game is hard.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

If games let you dye your armor, it should always be the brightest pink you can find.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

So I made an account recently and really love this game. I rolled a DC Imperial though, am I still able to join the EP side for PVP? Does it even matter? My account name is @SiDeath by the way.

PvP and general overland questing are NOT cross-faction capable.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

All these costumes and the best one is still the cadwell pot also the jester costume is a close second, I forget the dude it's based off of in Skyrim (perhaps there were previous incarnations as well)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Been PvPing with my stamplar in the under 50 campaign, poo poo is pretty fun, although I need more skill points, currently level 20 with like 39 skyshards collected. I'm also running a mishmash of gear so I can level light/medium/heavy so things are exactly optimal. Either way, it's fun, I wreck kids with 2hander bar, my S&B bar is lacking a little bit, or I'm just bad at using it.

*edit*

I was sad yesterday when I logged on momentarily to see AD had covered the map in yellow, EP owned probably 3/5 the map when I went to bed Sunday :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Level scaling in oblivion was hosed because they hosed it up, also the leveling system was completely different, you could choose not to level, or level extremely sub-optimally and hamstring yourself and possibly straight up put yourself into a position that had a .1% chance of winning.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Does anyone have a trade guild with a decent vendor? Got booted from my old one for inactivity, had a month or two where I basically did not log on. I'm starting to get full of poo poo that I need to offload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Scyantific posted:

And of course they bring servers down at primetime US.

Yep, One Tamriel is gonna be huge folks. A huge clusterfuck that is. Gonna play some WH40k Space Marine while they try to unfuck this game.

so one clusterfuck for another?

(I assume all WH games are clusterfucks because it's pretty much true)

• Locked thread