Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
gently caress Ea, buy this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Has anyone had save games randomly disappear? I hit 20k with my first city and decided to start over. Got to 3-4k with my new one, went back to play and it was gone? :negative:

Booted up my first city and tried to save it. Traffic is a real bitch.

I am hoping I can make enough money from the new outlying areas to completely demolish my original area and make it make sense because I have way too many intersections.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
So do dams break down randomly or over time?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the EA office when they found out about this game's release.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

xzzy posted:

Probably met with a shrug and they moved on to the next agenda item, deciding how many millions the next Sims DLC will make or if this year's Madden will reach a billion in sales.

Not surprising but would be interesting if they don't give a poo poo or if they are pissed about this. I think it would be a bit more depressing if they don't give a poo poo because there are enough dumb people to keep buying up their other lovely games.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

xzzy posted:

Apparently the game managed to break 500,000 copies sold in its first week:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/maxis-is-dead-but-this-game-is-better-than-simcity

Talk about a windfall for the studio, their next project should be pretty ambitious.

It's called Hearts of Iron 4 and it will be amazing.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

xzzy posted:

Not really, Colossal Order made Cities: Skylines. Paradox is the publisher.

I meant CO's next project should be a pretty big one.

OH poo poo, I didn't even realize that. I thought it was all Paradox.

I wonder why CO even needed a publisher with Steam around? Either way, I hope Paradox can suck off some of this extra money and make HOI4 more boss.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is it just me or are all the citizens white?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I tried the unlimited money and all tech mod but I literally had no fun playing it. I think half the fun is noticing a design flaw and then having to figure out how to fix it.

I have been trying to have my citizens use less cars, result? Bridges. a lot of loving bridges :stare:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

simosimo posted:

I've been working with a dude on getting my billboard textures in game, and they're now in the workshop for your pleasure as ploppables:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644461

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644557

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644660

Maxis hiring and EA septic :vince:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Has anyone ever made a bus route, deleted it and the game says that it is still there and it is incomplete? I get a warning about it constantly, and the bus stop is still there but there is no route there. Can't get rid of the bus stop and I can't add a line onto it.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Zeno-25 posted:

Welp game crashes when I build a water pump and somehow loses my save files, making it impossible to load a saved game. They're just simply not there.

At least I only lost an hour. Gaaaah knew it was to good to be true.

I had a save game randomly disappear and I can't find it. I had like 4-6 hours into that game :(

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wow, that sucks. Did you guys click the "use cloud" option? Maybe that is the cause of the problem (or, alternatively, a protection against it).

Nope did not click that button. I saved the game. Went to the main menu was looking at some things and then my game/pc crashed. Went back to play it the next morning and it was gone.

I was using a custom map (Berlin) so who knows if it is related to that. Sort of scared to use custom maps now.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I got the mod that deletes vacants and torched buildings.

Decided I am going to leave my computer on all day with the game running. Will be interesting how things look like when I get back. Maybe nothing bad will happen, maybe my city will be a complete mess?

Here is what it looks like. Should be back in 5 hours so who knows what it will look like.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Enigma89 posted:

I got the mod that deletes vacants and torched buildings.

Decided I am going to leave my computer on all day with the game running. Will be interesting how things look like when I get back. Maybe nothing bad will happen, maybe my city will be a complete mess?

Here is what it looks like. Should be back in 5 hours so who knows what it will look like.

Well this was a complete fail. I thought incineration plants were also land fills. So my city ended up going bankrupt after the landfills got to 100%. Game went forward 8 years. Oh well. At least I know now.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Started a new city, trying to make a city where people can walk everywhere and the AI is doing a good job of choosing the walkways instead of driving everywhere.

I set up the walkways to take people from door-to-door (residential > commercial > industrial). They run like spines along major areas of the city.

Example:

Traffic:

Blown up shot:

I haven't even added in bus lines yet because I haven't had a need to. Most people just walk everywhere, I have even noticed that some of my citizens work on one part of town and will walk across the river to work on the other side.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Baronjutter posted:

Peds will walk on sidewalks just fine too. I'm not sure all the elevated walkways actually get people to walk more. I think you could have gotten the the level of walking just by making sure all your dead end roads were connected with a short at-grade path near crosswalks. The whole "fused grid" approach.

Would they really walk across the entire city though just using sidewalks? I have spent some time just randomly follow citizens and they seem to be willing to walk very long distances on pedestrian paths, but I haven't noticed it a lot with sidewalks.

Domattee posted:

I'm working on the Telco Tower at 33 Thomas in Manhattan. Wikipedia Link

WIP obviously

e: Oh, poo poo, top of the page with my lovely half-done model, uh, ...
Have some pictures of the city it'll be placed in!

I'm very proud of it. Even the highways and the traintracks will be gridded.
That building always gave me chills when I walked past it.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I just remembered this monstrosity (in winooski, VT)

It honestly looks like something someone would build in C:S. Yes, lets put two stoplights for pedestrians in the rotary :shepface:

Honorable mention for a neighborhood:

I tried to recreate it, but I ran out of space and couldn't put the hook in at the base :v:

Looks like a dick with herpes

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

May not the prettiest method but I am keeping cars off the road. Up to 35,000 my biggest city ever. I feel like the pedestrian walkways are a huge waste of space sometimes but god drat do they keep people off the road.

From pedestrian nodes, buses take them to subways which ferry them to heavy rail.

I have about 2,000 riders a week on the subway and another 1,000 on the buses. Not amazing but that is nearly 10% of the city.

I'd be curious on the % of people in your cities taking the subway and buses. I have been busting my rear end to try to get it to 15% and I can't seem to do it. I think the highest I got it was exactly 12% and then the city expanded more and the population got huge fast.

I am super determined to try to manage the civilian traffic while trying to ease industrial traffic. I am not playing with unlimited money/tech so the game has been quite a challenge and very fun. Makes you appreciate city planners and the hard choices they face.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 31, 2015

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Ad by Khad posted:

I shoot for 10-12%, but if the city is very dense or gets to be very large I can never hold onto that. My largest city at 510k population only has about 5% ridership.

510,00 citizens? :vince: I am keeping traffic down with 50,000 but I am busting my rear end. 500,00 sounds impossible.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Baronjutter posted:

Ok I'm at the end of my rope here. I've decided to stop trying to build mega cities and just hand-craft small and medium cities to a level where I'm happy with every block and traffic flows nice. I'm only at about 40k people but I'm getting constant commercial abandonment due to lack of goods and constant industrial abandonment due to lack of raw materials. I made a custom map where I have my main city peninsula and an industrial island, the industrial island is rich in oil and ore and has 2 freight stations and a port and a direct highway connection. The ships coming in are always a jam of 5-10% full ships and I rarely get any train traffic. Following traffic through town I'm rarely getting de-spawning vehicles, and when I do it doesn't make sense. These aren't trucks caught in a jam vanishing after hours of being stuck, its vehicles just driving along happily and then suddenly they are gone. My city is not big!

Usually my cities are full of delivery trucks, that's generally been the main source of traffic in all my cities. I've gotten to nearly 300k in the past with massive cities choked with freight trains, but for some reason freight and delivery is hosed up on this city and I can't figure out why. The only traffic related mod I have is that on that lets you block certain turns, and I've only used it in a few spots. But I've got industry abandoning due to raw materials while sitting right next to a freight station and a barely used highway and blocks away from both ore and oil.

What could be causing this? And is there any mod that makes it so trucks and vans never despawn that also doesn't gently caress around with every other aspect of the game?

I have a similar issue that just happened to my city. I was just starting to feel pretty good and to consider my city done around 40-50k. Then all of a sudden, not enough goods to sell and not enough resources to produce for industry. Sort of in a pickle. Switch everything to offices?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
A friend of me asked me to give my thought process when I was making my city. We make very different looking cities so it is nice to compare. This game is like a canvas, you give it to someone and you will always get something different back.

Anyways, I took screenshots with descriptions, maybe you guys will enjoy reading about it. I am not very good at this game though so any tips would be appreciated. I don't play with the all tech/money mod because I like trying to fix problems instead of just designing the perfect city.

My city is pretty puny compared to some others in here but I had a very specific goal this game, I did not want my city to die to traffic. I am thinking that I need to cut down on the wasted space from pedestrian walkways/railroads and start fleshing the city out. I had 20k-30k people in 2 tiles now I have 5 tiles and only 45k population. I have lost a bit of steam and got lazy with my money by buying up land.

You will have to maximize the image in order to read the font. Sorry Mobile Users

:shobon:

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 31, 2015

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

holy poo poo that is crazy. So the faster traffic on top and then it bleeds out to slower speeds the lower it goes?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Daysvala posted:

I have a huge traffic bottleneck in my city, and I wasn't sure how to fix it :(

So I thought adding some bus routes would help alleviate the congestion, somehow...

At least they make pretty circles :3:

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to fix the massive congestion near the highway access road on the left?

Add another entrance? You can probably loop the freeway all the way around.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Aliens made that poo poo

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I really wish there was a random city generator or something. I really like the problem solving aspect of this game and trying to remedy problems. Starting a whole new city from scratch is a pain in the rear end though.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I really need help understanding cargo trains and maybe industrial zones in general. I have made a couple of cities and my biggest one was around 58,000 citizens. I have been noticing a trend that things simply get out of hand when cargo trains start to get introduced even when I meticulously set up my cities to try to ease traffic and not grow too fast.

What I am basically noticing is that I can keep traffic down everywhere in my city except for cargo train areas. It just seems that as soon as I put one down a herd of trucks come and things just explode too fast in one specific area. To make matters worst, I am sometimes limited to where I can put my rail yard because of where the map may end and where the (starting) train tracks are.

With my recent city I put a lot of effort trying to disperse the train-related traffic to many parts of the city and also to completely seclude external > internal cargo transfers. Despite this, I am still running into major traffic problems and all of it seems to come from trucks that are going to/from industrial railyards.

Here is an example of what I am talking about :

City overview, nothing special

Railyards that have been placed around industrial pockets to try to relieve congestion but it has seemed to create congestion everywhere.

Here is how I set up internal/external train lines. The train from off-map comes in and dumps its materials. It is then immediately loaded up onto another train that is ONLY connected to internal lines. This is done twice as I noticed the external/internal drop off point was getting too congested when it was connected to 3 or more internal final destinations. I also noticed by insulating internal/external lines, I no longer had trains getting backed up off the map.

Bad traffic

More traffic at another rail yard.

Any ideas? I really want to get this going but I am not even sure if it is worth it. I do notice a little bit of an increase in money with rail yards but it doesn't really seem to be worth the headache. I am not quite sure how to do this.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Efexeye posted:

I got a city to like 118k citizens with 1 cargo and 1 passenger rail station. Why do you need so many, would be my first question?

Just having one was destroying traffic in one specific area. I thought by having 2 or 3 I could spread out the congestion but it has seemed to just equally destroy every area I place one in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Efexeye posted:

Anyone else grow out that Beginner City I posted? Here's mine at 100k: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=441787473

Still lots to unfuck, and plenty of money to do it with :)

Thanks for this, I hate rebuilding from scratch so this will be fun.