Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a mod that increases the power radius of buildings? As much as I like drawing power lines this is loving retarded and annoying.

It's also seemingly impossible to connect power across any kind of road unless there are buildings on either side. I'm not talking about wide roads but the regular two lane ones. You can see it in the second screenshot. The tiny sliver of power connection that reaches across the street is not enough for a power pylon to do poo poo. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I actually am looking forward to a mod where roads transfer both power and water. The current system is a little make-worky.
Underground power cables would be pretty sweet too.

kaxman posted:

e2:I see what you mean, didn't get it at first. The solution would be for the power pylons to have a little blue area of their own, which now you mention it I am suprised they don't.
That's a really good idea.

Control Volume posted:

The solution is that he needs to unpause the game.
I paused the game when I took the screenshots, chirperface.

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 17, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are there horses in this game
I'm frankly amazed there aren't any pony mods yet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

Unsurprisingly, some of the old guard of SC4 are continuing to publish their mods as exclusives for Simtropolis and other websites, keeping them off the workshop.

It begins.
Wouldn't it be a shame if someone were to download their mods and upload them to the workshop? Just saying. :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I forgot who first posted it but this is an amazing solution to industrial traffic. No problems whatsoever with this setup.

The two lane roads are NOT one way, because that would prevent service vehicles from easy movement.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Freakus posted:

Wind is $10/MW. Solar is something like $7.5/MW. The real question is: why would you build coal, oil, or nuclear plants?
I usually plop oil plants until I can get solar because they provide enough power to let me not bother building new power plants all the time. Wind power is too annoying to use.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My current town uses no offices, those are lame. Industry and heavy trucks everywhere. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's more the machinery or packaging or electronics or someone throwing a lit cigarette in a garbage can than the actual goods catching on fire.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

What kind of fish stick making involves a pressure vessel? :stare:
How else would you turn a fish into a stick shape?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

This game is pretty drat forgiving, unless you mix drinking water and sewage.
Or run out of landfill/cemetery space.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dirt roads look pretty cool. The biggest downside is that you can't build bridges with them. Wooden bridges would've looked good for them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I think the scale in this game is fine.
Every day is superbowl in Cimcity. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah that's really annoying. On a slightly less critical point I'd like a filter that removes all custom made maps by people who doesn't understand that you need to place water sources. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

You need to not be afraid to get demolishy.
Yeah, just go :killdozer: over it and rebuilt the intersections.

Poizen Jam posted:

Has anyone experienced a glitch where they cannot exit a game? Like the Quit 'to main menu' or 'desktop' buttons just don't work?
No, but alt+f4 should work. Or ctrl+alt+delete and ending the process. Have you been running the game for a long time when it happened?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

So I have some questions that have been bothering me 30 hours in:

1. Is there a way to rotate prefab road connections? I've been having some issue getting these things oriented the way I want them.

2. Is there any way to distinguish what type of property is in demand? And by this I mean, for example, when I'm generically told commercial property is in demand I don't know if it's light commercial, heavy commercial, or offices. Or is it really just a generic demand (and if so that's a huge weakness in the game.

3. What's the deal with, especially early game, with properties that level up to 2, then close down and become abandoned because there aren't enough smart people to level to 3.

Seems to me, businesses just need to not expand then, not close down. It also seems to me that I should be drawing more educated immigrants to fill at least some of those jobs.

4. Is there a recommended light residential layout? I've been giving light residential optimal for 2x2 houses, or 4x4 when I'm making "nice" neighborhoods. Just curious if I'm on the right track there.

Edit

5. Does school location matter? Seems like it doesn't.
1. Right click rotates 45 degrees. Holding right mouse button allows free rotation. Very wonky if you're trying to attach it to an existing road rather than plopping it down freely and connecting the roads afterwards.

2. Generic commercial demand. Offices are industrial demand.

3. Who knows. Maybe the educated people died or there are enough educated workers citywide to cause them to upgrade but they are all working elsewhere already.

4. Maybe. :v:

5. Don't think so. As long as the students can reach them it's fine, I think. But residential are happy to have them close so spreading them out seems like a good idea.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

wesley snypes posted:

the devs made a mistake. the japanese garden was supposed to be a preorder-only bonus, but it wasn't actually given out. to fix this, they went ahead and gave it to everyone. sounds like they may have changed it back
But I preordered, and it's still just as suddenly gone. :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Oh! Wish I'd known this before plopping like 3 elementary schools down
You could just move them, there's a button for it on every building. It's not free but it's way cheaper than killdozing and rebuilding.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fans posted:

Yeah this city is going to end in tears.
So, does that mean they only assemble basic fedoras or the basic assembly of fedoras? Is there an advanced fedora assembly somewhere in the city?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The first person view mod is amazing. Combining it with the follow vehicle function and a long elevated railway through your city and it's pure awesome.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bunleigh posted:

That "more building names" mod is a keeper.

right next door to an elementary school, no less

yum!
I grabbed it and got a Heavy Fedora Assembly. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

poo poo that annoys me: no u-turns at junctions, you have to add a little spur at the end to allow anyone to turn around.

Always got some wonky poo poo going on at the end of my bus routes:

loving garbage trucks follow the green line rather than red :qq:

I don't think cars can make u-turns in intersections on the same road. Just make a short side road next to the upper dump.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also a quick google search shows multiple middle earth-themed maps!
Sweet. I can finally set up forestry in Fangorn, draw a mero through Moria and fill Mordor with offices.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm looking at that and all I can think of is how wasteful those large 6 lane roads are. You could easily fit that traffic on 2 lane roads instead with one or two exceptions. Also I'm biased in favor of 4 lane roads because I think they look a lot better.

The answer is likely to be to simply :killdozer: your way through with an elevated highway or something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My pubic transport is free, I make more than enough money to keep it that way. It's weird how you're only paying for the bus depot and not the buses or bus stops so cranking up the budget to 150% barely costs anything at all but gives you a ton of more buses everywhere. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

WMain00 posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!

Help. HELP!!!

:negative:
Try having more connections from the highway down to that area to spread out the traffic. At least two more.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Getting the water simulation to work right on this map is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in this game.
Workshop link! Nooooow! :byodood:

Please. That looks really cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm amazed no one has photoshopped the CEO's face into the chirper as a mod.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, they should just have named it Cities Without Motion instead. :shepface:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think I have more fun with the map editor than I do the actual game.
That looks really nice.

SynthOrange posted:

I hooked up Dirtopia's highway connection to a cargo harbor.

It did not go well.
This however looks really bad. What in the world were you expecting would happen? Pave that poo poo all the way through, add lots of on and off ramps and several bridges to get across or something. :killdozer:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tunga posted:

That would ruin the gimmick somewhat, no?
I suppose so. But my inner sperg screams so about inefficient roads.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I spent a few seconds misunderstanding that sentence because I have a filthy mind.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it theme parks? I hope it's theme parks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

canepazzo posted:

Coming this week, apparently.
That's one steep slope.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tunnels really help out in hilly terrain. Instead of trying to fiddle with a bride across the highway that's running parallel to the slope you can easily just go underneath with a neat curved tunnel.

So far I've only seen offices conform to corners, and 90 degree corners only.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's weird that in real life waterfront property is highly sought and expensive but in this game it's poo poo, literally.

Shab posted:

This update's awesome.

Cool. I made an intersection like that earlier today, but not nearly as pretty.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gibbo posted:

Yes. You've clearly never met anyone from Europe or been there.
You can't outsmug a European. :smug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Large industrial zones are so much easier when all the trucks head down into the underground highway.

People are so whiny. Oh no your house is noisy and polluted. Well gently caress you, didn't you see the big oil power plant and garbage facilities across the street when you built your lovely house?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The first person view mod doesn't work too well with tunnels. Or rather, the tunnels aren't actually tunnels but two entrances with a black wall cars magically pass through. Underneath is just a regular road with road signs and whatnot floating above a vast sky colored void.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are tunnels giving anyone else bad habits? For example, you notice that your traffic isn't moving very well in a location but instead of doing a proper solution you just drag a tunnel instead? Here's my current mess of a city.

Just an overview. But it appears I forgot a Fields in a district there.

I couldn't fit proper exits easily, so this is the result. Now that I look at it, there's really no point for the northbound onramp to start off going north like that. :doh:

Ah, the first intersection of the city. You can clearly see what a mess it is with the tunnels that were added in an attempt to alleviate the gridlock.

This is just awful and was permanently clogged until I added the second squareabout and the smaller offramps right into the zone. I've no idea what to do when I expand the place. But more tunnels will surely solve it perfectly fine.

More tunnels to stop the trucks from blocking everything.

Crooked partially subterranean highway cloverleaf. Trying to make it look pretty is hard, when it involves tunnel entrances even more so.

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Artificer posted:

Has anyone posted a straightforward and clear guide of dam building in this game? Or building a poop dam?
I haven't seen one unfortunately. Poop dam is best dam.