Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If waterfront property ever gets a bonus, it would be cool if high density residential buildings got a bigger boost but also lowered the bonus for everything around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

GhostDog posted:

I guess you could just overwrite them since they're public?

Weirdly enough, they both have the same capacity?? And MetroTrain inherits from PassengerTrain, so that has the same as well.

My c# knowledge is limited though, maybe I'm reading this wrong.

It's probably per train car.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The solution is that he needs to unpause the game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

I seem to have stagnated around 30k population. Occasionally I'll get a tick or two of industrial or commercial demand, but nothing in residential for ages, which is a shame because I've got a brand new suburb laid out and ready to go across the interstate. Any ideas?

Do you have any services beyond just electricity and water set up for that area? I've found that when a separated area doesn't want to grow, plopping down a couple things like an elementary school or fire house raises the worth enough to make a couple buildings appear, and once one is there the rest follow pretty effortlessly. I also lower residential taxes occasionally and I don't know what that does but I like to think it helps!!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Demand and unemployment seem to be vaguely decoupled but basically build industrial and commercial based on unemployment and just use the demand to figure out what you need more of between commercial and industry, really.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

help i cant stop loving playing this game

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Alright, how do I break my OCD and make a perfect highway entrance to my first time? I've spent about 4 hours dicking around and would like to make a town that'll at least survive for the first 2k citizens but a lot of my time is just spent wrestling with options for the entrance.

I threw this together in a couple minutes but it's basically just two diamond interchanges and a pseudo-frontage road between them, this will easily support a shitload of people as long as you zone your industry so it's closer to the highway than your residential (which you should be doing anyways). You can upgrade the one-ways to highways and offramps later when you get access, and tear parts of it out as needed to make fancy interchanges. In this setup I wouldn't be building next to the first bridge because I can't make the full onramp setup, so I would wait until I could buy the land above it, this is mostly because moving bridges is much more of a pain in the rear end than redesigning them.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 19, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I almost want to build this abomination to see how it simulates.

Maybe it doesn't look to bad, but it has a 2 lane coming from downtown (Northeast) with an onramp feeding into it, then merges with another 3 lane, which gets reduced to 4 lanes total. But right now theres a ton of construction happening right after the merge, so theres only 3 lanes and traffic gets backed up REAL fast. Then everyone tries to get off the highway at the last second, clogging up all of the streets near it. Its great :v:

what the gently caress is up with those lanes why are half of them even there

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

MAke a roundabout and then bulldoze it later to replace with something fancy.

gently caress roundabouts, gently caress this europe road trash, intersections forever

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Arrath posted:

I believe you mean spiderwebs of onramps.

onramps hold no power over me, i bow only to the mighty yield sign

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Duck and burger posted:

My OCD is not letting me start my first game. The starting roads are uneven, and I can't seem to continue them in their lane number and spacing, and I have no idea what kind of intersection to make coming off the expressway. o_o

Re: the intersection, I still think the diamond interchange is the best starter, since it's simple, it looks good, and it's cheap to build.

example:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

subx posted:

What is that terrifying thing behind the diamond :stonk:

Huh? It's just a stack interchange, but that's not something you want to build right after you start a map.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

time to stick a fork in this island city and try for something even bigger. It only made it to 73k population but it had no backed up traffic issues and also it looks hella cool.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

oh hell yeah

a mod that does post-processing things, most importantly anti-aliasing that isnt ssaa

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Anyone with some hot tips for how to do bus stops? I have no clue and just plopped them everywhere and well there isn't really much way to figure out how well it works anyway.

dont cross the streams and have a stop right next to a metro stop in each line, bam 40% of your car traffic gone instantly

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hey keep in mind with regards to dirty industry that if people aren't working this is more a product of low unemployment because people will happily take any job they can get at 5% unemployment, so just build more houses without zoning more industry or offices and the problem eventually solves itself and your industry upgrades and the highly educated people are happier because level 3 industry needs quite a bit of educated dudes anyways.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

heavy traffic bans are your friend

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

also a fourth amendment mod would be pretty funny

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fans posted:

Got the randomized business name generator. This is one of the first ones I got.

Uh...

dont complain it keeps education levels down

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Also, commuters will always take the shortest path to wherever they're going regardless of traffic, making traffic congestion almost completely unavoidable still.

I hope this is fixed one day, in game as well as real life

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My small island city had so many tourists pouring in through two different ports that the boats were colliding and glitching out and I had to develop a road network specifically to alleviate traffic issues. Like the traffic was almost as bad as the cargo port.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Supraluminal posted:

Pretty excited that shorelines will raise land value, that's something that always annoyed me to no end.

Finally, now all they have to do is create some sort of arcane, complicated algorithm for raising value based on "a good view" and land value will be perfect.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Poil posted:

I've spent a few hours watching different youtubers play this and it is more of a city management than a builder. Gameplay is you wanting to do something, checking if you can afford it (probably not) and then putting it up for a vote in the city council with the medium sized party who will support it, the small party who are mostly neutral and the large party who hates and opposes everything and wins all elections. To be fair it has just been the start and the first era so it might be more interesting later but it mostly just seems to be about voting on construction, service- and tax slider changes and laws using your limited goodwill points to influence the political parties. More politically focused than Tropico but with a similar depth. :shrug:

This sounds like extremely my poo poo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Too many games are extremely my poo poo actually. The last guardian is sitting on my desk, unopened, because Im in the middle of playing too many other really amazing games

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

No, nowhere in the world ever used or blimps for in-city transit and it's not even some elon musk style idiotic future idea anyone is proposing. It's extremely stupid for a game not set in some steampunk fantasy world. Put the blimp dev budget into making trams better.

Can anyone imagine being this joyless

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I like to think that the ~ tilde is a piss stream at the end of a post, since this usually makes the preceding words understandable under that context

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Did this game ever get any challenge beyond solving traffic?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dogstile posted:

That's roughly how we work in general. Our motorways are all very much "we want to do this" and they achieve said goal but don't really think about the future.

The current thing that's irking me is the removal of the lay by lane (used in the event of a break down). Instead they turned it into another lane and they'll apparently have lights to signal to other motorists when a break down happens on said lane.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what happened next:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/m3-camberley-crash-not-very-13960020

Lol what the gently caress england

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

If you hit a stopped vehicle on the highway you should really have your license taken away for a few years until you can prove your eyes and attention span are properly developed.

Do you drive much, my dude? Stopped cars in a high speed road, especially when its somewhat busy so other cars are obscuring vision, are some of the scariest things on the road I've experienced, probably ranking only a little below black ice

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Download the highest rated island map

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive probably asked this question three times in the past but did anyone ever create a mod that made cities challenging outside of the traffic systems? Or is it still mostly a transport tycoon zen garden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah just make roads follow terrain (ideally to keep the road at a certain height) and then draw between them with a mix of straight roads, diagonal roads, and the occasional curvy road in the middle