Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Installed this on my retina macbook pro and the resolution choices are ridiculous. Default is 640x480 and the highest option is 1440 by 900, but if I switch to that one the graphics turn green and glitch out. Am I missing something here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What are people using as a standard freeway on/offramp setup? Been experimenting with different setups involving roundabouts under elevated highway but they're kind of a pain in the rear end to set up and take a lot of room. Would be interested to see what is working well for people.

Also, how should I be using resources? Like for forestry, do I need to place my zones in the middle of a forest or is the idea that guys are out cutting wood somewhere and can bring it back to my industrial zone?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How many loving services do I need to get level 3 offices? My central business district has police, fire, clinics, schools, parks, a metro station, a ton of bus stops, and the Servicing Services building and the last bar still won't fill up.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MikeJF posted:

Office satisfies industry but doesn't produce things for your retail sector, so they'll need to ship more in from outside the city, which I think cuts revenue?

Does Office satisfy just industry, or both industry and commercial?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

My oil industry is suddenly going tits up because of a lack of customers. What do I need to build to make customers for oil? They were fine for years before this.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Seriously though, what should I do if my oil industry doesn't have enough customers? I installed extra freight stations and a harbor and they're still bitching and going abandoned.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Moridin920 posted:

Do you have enough commercial?

I have a lot but I could try placing more. Do oil producing industries sell to commercial? My normal industry sector is doing fine.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Assuming I don't care about pollution in the area, would it be a good idea to build an oil power plant nearby, then?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone else having problems with Steam cloud saves? When I do a cloud save on my desktop, it only sometimes shows up when I try to load on my laptop. Like, right now I just saved a game on my desktop, but when I went to load on my laptop, the most recent cloud save shown is two days ago. What gives?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have a good example of a freight rail network that doesn't get horribly jammed? Right now I've got one line with a little siding at each freight depo and it's all locked up.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hubis posted:

Quoting myself to say I started a new city on this map, and it's really awesome. It's got some interesting puzzles in there for how you're going to run your road/rail connections, and it feels like the author really thought about what choices you'd be making around your city with each tile unlock so as to make it a somewhat interesting decision. Highly recommended.

Just getting started on this map myself and it looks like it's gonna be a ton of fun. Haven't needed to expand outside of the starting tile yet but it will be a tough call. How are you laying your stuff out?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Johnny Truant posted:

Does anyone run this on a MacBook Pro? I'm considering getting one with my tax return, and hoping that it could run thks game cause I already have it purchased and my Dell can't really run it.

It runs well on my late-2013 15" MBP but the simulation runs very slowly once you get above 50,000 cims or so, like to the point where 3x isn't really any faster than 1x. Anyone else experiencing this and have ideas on how to improve performance? Once my cities get big enough I have to get off my couch and go play this on my desktop. :emo:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have an example of a frontage road setup that works well for them? Saw the below on reddit or something and it looked pretty slick, but I'm wondering if it's secretly retarded.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 19, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eiba posted:

Office seems to just be an industrial demand sponge and space filler without much benefit.

Office owns, it provides jobs and tax income without producing any noise or pollution or much traffic.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

RVT posted:

Will people actually use a local Train Station network to get around the city? The description says it's for getting tourists in/out of the city.

People will use them but they're pretty much worse than subways in every way. They have a huge footprint and it's really easy to snarl your traffic if you aren't fastidious about keeping local traffic separate from regional traffic, which only increases the footprint. This is a total bummer because they look really cool.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

RVT posted:

After the replies saying that people would use trains locally, I spent a couple hours jamming train stations in my city. The freight don't seem to get too much use, and all the track is ugly and messy, but following my passenger trains around my city is my new favorite thing.

Freight is really worth using. Try one or two stations in your industrial area and a station near any large commercial area. It will take a lot of large trucks off the road and reduce congestion.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

give me thread posted:

Can I just say - this looks flippin amazing!

So for all the squares you can't zone/build on because "it's ont a perfect grid", did you fill it with trees? Also, got any more pics please?

It's not mine, it's some dude's pic that I saw. Here's my attempt to emulate it, which of course neither looks as cool nor works as well:

Note the large pileup near the bottom. I've been trying to do this city without subways because trains look so much cooler, but I'm nearing 75k pop and my roads can't take much more.

Pretty proud of my trash facility in the upper left, though. Keeps garbage trucks flowing smoothly to every point in the city.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Trainz :thumbsup:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any kind of goon-curated or -approved pack of custom buildings, especially non-ploppable? I want my cities to have some more diversity but I'm pretty :effort: when it comes to the workshop.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Megabound posted:

Your cargo still needs to out to the world and put to your cities. I've got a main loop set up that hits all my industrial sectors, my port, and my main arterial lines into my cities. This loop then feeds into the outside world line at one junction.

You could try setting up an industrial intake only road that connects with your commercial districts to alleviate your other choke points.

It all depends on what your issue is, inbound into city or outbound to highways, then dedicating arterial roads / other options for your cargo.

It's pretty gamey but one way to handle local and regional traffic is to have two freight terminals right next to each other, one that only feeds to the outside world and one that only connects to your regional network. Connect them with a road loop that doesn't connect to any other roads. Trucks will shuffle cargo between them. Like this. Garbage will pile up at the terminals but it doesn't matter.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eiba posted:

Gosh, that's mesmerizing... but a lot of effort, and I'm not sure what it accomplishes. You're going to end up with the same amount of rail traffic after transferring all those goods... won't you?

It's a lot lower effort than trying to devise a freight traffic system that accounts for both local and regional traffic. The idea is it divides your freight into two separate systems: one going purely local, one going regional. The regional line can be a simple, dedicated railway out of the city, while your local line can be a loop or whatever. It's really easy to put together - just two freight stations with a loop.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That dude Scotland Tom who made Powatan Creek and Tenasi River made a new map. Looks like gentler terrain than his other stuff but with a cool farmland look.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Doesn't look like it has any outside rail connections, how bad will that screw me?

The description says it has outside rail connections. I haven't unlocked enough of the map yet to really see; what makes you say it doesn't have any?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can't you just start a new city and let crime get really high before you ever build a police station? Pretty sure that's how I got it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to change the default color of your bus lines?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

beerinator posted:

After you've finished making the lines (or any time after you've completed one), click the public transportation bus in the menu on the left and then find the bus line on the map and click it. An information window should pop up and you can change the color by clicking on the color square in the info window.

Right - I mean to set a color as default. Like if I want all of my busses to be a certain shade, is there any way I can make the default something other than that teal? I want to make them orange but there's no way to ensure they all come out to the exact same orange and :spergin:.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

GrossMurpel posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks! No one on Google knew this for some reason.

This is the same area after building a duplicate of every service at the left road there. Are the ranges really that short? Looks like I'll have to have each service every 5 blocks :negative:

E: Does building the big service buildings (police station etc.) help?

The problem here is that you are trying to get level 3 offices. Level 3 offices need a ridiculous level of services, as shown by your pic - you've got like every type of service there and it's only going a few blocks. It's incredibly difficult to get enough services to maintain level 3 offices without building one of the monuments that provides map-wide services. Personally I just don't sweat level 3 offices until the late game.

Then I build the Hadron Collider and watch everything level up like crazy.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm really enjoying Hadlock's Algiers map, but the lack of any flow to the water means that I've got some stubborn shitwater zones collecting in some parts of my city. Other than building a bunch of water treatment plants and flushing it out with somewhat cleaner water over a period of years, is there anything I can do about this?

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is there a way (either ingame or A Mod For That) to place a roundabout that's just the circle without the preattached access roads so I only have to bulldoze one city block instead of like four when I'm trying to redo an intersection as one?? I've tried manually making a circle of one-way roads but the access intersections for them when I hook up the incoming roads appear to be light-controlled which, of course, defeats the purpose.

There are lots of pre-made intersections on the Workshop, including various sizes and configurations of roundabout.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hadlock posted:

My apologies. Now that I've figured that out, I'll be releasing a v2 on Monday with proper water flow.

I really like the Algiers map too, my largest city of 170k is on that map. The biggest problem I've found is a lack of places to place airports (which makes sense, since it's all a giant seaside hillside) and I'm working on correcting that as well.

I'm interested to hear of any other goons who have tried my maps, they all seem to have 300± subscribers but this is the second time I've heard of someone using my map

I was thinking of putting my airport on the hill above the starting time, seems pretty flat up there. Does that not work?

A v2 of the map would be killer. I've noticed a few weird terrain glitches along the coast where there is a tiny pit at the edge of the water, in case those aren't already on your radar.

Could you post some screenshots of your city? I'd be interested to see what someone else did with the map.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What happens if you unsubscribe from custom assets and then load up a city that had them on the map? Does it crash or do those buildings just despawn? I subscribed to a ton of growables but my performance is taking a real hit and I don't really care enough about most of them for it to be worth it.

Update: They just disappear :thumbsup:. My city is kinda making GBS threads itself right now from having half the buildings disappear but the performance boost is worth it. Subscribing to like 200 growables was way too ambitions.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 3, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Red_October_7000 posted:

It's foolish question time!

Why do so many people throng to this bus stop? Only a single bus line comes here. In fact I have only 3 bus lines total as I've tried to keep my road traffic down, because my other problem...

A lot of people want to take this route wherever it goes. Consider adding higher-capacity public transport, like a metro system.

quote:

Is interchanges! I've downloaded several interchanges from the workshop, but they don't work very well for retrofitting as so much stuff has to be demolished.

Don't be afraid to demolish stuff. You could totally make enough space in there for a cool looking interchange. People will be temporarily pissed, but your city will be better for it.

quote:

Finally, how do you deal with people who complain of noise even after you've planted so many trees around their apartment block that it looks like Vietnam?

Two options. First, you could ignore them, since it's not really a big deal if one dude is bitching about noise. Also, sometimes streets just get loud due to traffic or whatever temporarily and then the problem goes away, so I wouldn't get too worried if it hasn't been doing this for a while. Second, maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't have residential there. Maybe knock that building down and put in a park or some commercial. That guy won't be complaining and everyone around will be happier.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

insta posted:

Can anybody explain how to use these bus interchanges? Something like: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413136787&searchtext=

I really have no idea :sigh:. I mean, I get it conceptually. You end bus lines there, but where does it go in relation to them? Are they teardrop-shaped spokes eminating from this thing in the middle?

People are really into these things but I don't understand why they're useful. The whole point of buses is that you can make the lines go anywhere without adding any additional infrastructure. What benefit do these things offer aside from like, just having a bus stop in front of your metro station or whatever and just having the bus lines go where they go?

Red_October_7000 posted:

I get the distinct impression that I screwed the pooch on this city...

It's possible. Every city I make I learn new stuff and then start over to take advantage of it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Efexeye posted:

I got a city to like 118k citizens with 1 cargo and 1 passenger rail station. Why do you need so many, would be my first question?

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of having a cargo station or two near major commercial areas. Really helps cut down on road traffic between industrial and commercial areas. Also looks cool to have freight trains zipping around in your city.

On a related note, some dude on reddit figured out that you don't have to use two back-to-back freight stations with a road loop to transfer between regional and local traffic - you can do it with just one station. Topic here.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Le0 posted:

What happens if I unsubscribe to assets that have grown on my map? Will they disappear and lose all the pop?

Yes.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

When drawing subway lines, is there any non-aesthetic reason to make the curves gentle instead of just drawing a straight line between stations that results in a sharp turn at the station?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sam. posted:

Also, how do you deal with gridlock on rail lines? I've had to disconnect my network from the external connection because the trains were backed up all the way to the edge of the map.

On a related note, are there any mods that add different graphics for trains, so that there's more variety?
It's annoying, but by far the best way to deal with train gridlock it to strictly separate your internal/local and external/regional traffic. Up until recently it was thought that you had to have a janky road loop between two stations to pull this off, but some dude on reddit figured out that you can do it with just one station if it has a dead end. Search my post history, I linked to it like 3-4 posts ago.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sion posted:

well, I put my thumb up in you if that's of any help.

Also: Are there any mods that are considered vital? I've been watching the Nerd Cubed let's play of this and he has like... crazy green road arrows and one way systems everywhere. That seems like a good one.

I would recommend:

- No Pillars: makes it significantly easier to finesse complex interchanges. This is the only mod I would consider truly mandatory.
- Unlock All Tiles: increases max city size from 9 tiles to 25. Lets you build a really big city.
- Unlimited Oil and Ore: resources get depleted stupidly fast with default settings. This fixes that.
- First Person Camera: great for exploring your city.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

My industrial areas are bitching about not having enough raw materials and I can't figure out why. Both have good access to regional/local freight and highway. One of them is kinda far from the harbor, but should be able to access the harbor by rail. I've checked the rail routes and everything connects like it should, as far as I can tell. Traffic is fine. It's not a huge deal because I'm still in the black and industrial zones constantly go abandoned in this game anyway, but I haven't had this problem on previous cities.

Screenshot for reference - the industrial areas are outlined in green and the local freight loop is traced in red. Any thoughts?

e: after watching it for a while it seems like none of the freight stations in my industrial zones are creating trains for local traffic, even to send to the commercial zones. Strangely, the freight stations in my commercial zones are occasionally creating trains to send to the harbor to export goods. :shrug:

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 10, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bel Monte posted:

If you don't have the unlimited natural resources mod, only farming and and forestry are infinite. You will run out of oil in just a year or two with a sufficient industrial sector. Maybe that's this? Probably it.

I don't have any on-map resource production, just general industry right now. They should be able to import what they need, though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bold Robot posted:

My industrial areas are bitching about not having enough raw materials and I can't figure out why. Both have good access to regional/local freight and highway. One of them is kinda far from the harbor, but should be able to access the harbor by rail. I've checked the rail routes and everything connects like it should, as far as I can tell. Traffic is fine. It's not a huge deal because I'm still in the black and industrial zones constantly go abandoned in this game anyway, but I haven't had this problem on previous cities.

Screenshot for reference - the industrial areas are outlined in green and the local freight loop is traced in red. Any thoughts?

e: after watching it for a while it seems like none of the freight stations in my industrial zones are creating trains for local traffic, even to send to the commercial zones. Strangely, the freight stations in my commercial zones are occasionally creating trains to send to the harbor to export goods. :shrug:

Update on this: I added an oil zone and an ore zone and cleaned up my rail network a little bit and they're still bitching about not having enough raw materials. I don't get it.