Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So I've been working on this city with the 25 tile mod for a few days now, I'm not finished yet, but its times like this - when I was following a jet as it came into land, that the scale kind of hits you.

It's also making money (not that it matters) - and has traffic thats largely functional, though it has its snarls. The main problem seems to be constant merging into mid-lane or refusal to not merge into alternate lanes, some of the route finding is also a bit questionable.

That and busocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Anyone with any modding knowledge know where the building limit is and how to change it?

I've hit the cap with one district left to fill in and I fill cheated, CHEATED!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Through Judicious use of trees and dezoning - including lots of 1 square offices that served little purpose now - I have finished insanity project one.

Big old roundabout as reference.

Essentially, my screenshot and future disaster mod anyone makes test zone is complete.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ijyt posted:

loving beautiful, inspired me to finally get a city past 10k.

Thanks, I'm mostly happy that apart from a few terrible areas of industrial traffic hell, it mostly works.

I am pushing about 450k~ at this point, mostly thanks to the 25 tile mod to be fair. The game runs at normal 1 > speed even at >>> at this point though, cause of my terrible computer.

As always, obligatory set pieces aside from the airport earlier are included, the 2 "grandest" offerings being the Arch and "Palais de Amadea".

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

StarMinstrel posted:

I remember a maximum being mentionned...

Another question: are unique buildings unlocked for all maps? And if yes, can you unlock them in one map and then come back to a map you're making? I'm asking that for the ones that require bad stuff like 20% health and 50% crime.

Yeah, It's 1 million I believe.

As for that, yes, its unlocked across the game and theres a menu option to reset. I got a few of the more annoying ones in a throwaway game but couldn't get crime above the 20%'s.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DEO3 posted:

Can you upload this please.

I can, if I can grab a list of the mods im using that I'd assume everyone would need - there silly things like where I plopped two parking lots down and never used them again. I'll check it out tomorrow/later.

If anyone knows how to grab a list via steam that isn't something only I can see that'd be neat.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Westminster System posted:

I can, if I can grab a list of the mods im using that I'd assume everyone would need - there silly things like where I plopped two parking lots down and never used them again. I'll check it out tomorrow/later.

If anyone knows how to grab a list via steam that isn't something only I can see that'd be neat.

Further to this, uploaded and a collection made and linked in the description here;

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409277795

Let me know if you encounter any problems, and don't expect anything other than traffic hell and scraperscape :p.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Solarflare posted:

What exactly counts as services to satisfy the requirement of "services" for upgrading? I've got a bus and metro line hooked up in my new office district, it's right near a high school, and has police and fire nearby already.

Parks, typically.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I don't think the 100 people who have subscribed to my train wreck of a city know what they've signed up for.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Zip! posted:

This is a beautiful creation, what map does this use so I can gently caress up the recreation of your city? :v:

It uses the stock Islands map.

Alternatively, you can download the actual savegame (and subscribe to the associated mod collection) here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409277795 - then you can maul as you wish, such as trying to get back under the building limit :psyduck:.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 17, 2015

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

HardDisk posted:

Also, I'm starting another list with goon cities, if you think your city is cool or whatever feel free to post (or repost)

Obligatory repost: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409277795

Also, Skylines is still top seller :psyduck:.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So I haven't played in a while, and starting the game, even after reinstalls and removing all mods and what have you results in an immediate appcrash from ntll.dll or some such. Looking around no-one seems to have a solution either.

Whelp :<.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I fiddled around a lot with my trains and then just gave up, eventually it seemed to sort itself out, though sometimes a train would get stuck in perpetuity that required intervention, but thats more a general "this thing is stuck" bug than a specific issue.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Is there a mod tool that lets you add water sources in game yet - excluding the tsunami one which doesn't add permanent sources, of course.

I ask because playing some of these custom maps and noticing that lakes and rivers are dying out because no proper water source was added hours into a game is frustrating.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409662394

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Living in an average city in the UK I don't even know what a grid system actually looks like.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The worst thing about the workshop is that mods automatically update, so you can't even go download the original version of the building info mod, and it updates your version without your consent. Which is sort of scary, considering that some butthurt modder could go ahead and gently caress over a ton of people's computers if they throw a tantrum.

Theres an option somewhere that I saw that allows you to select whether to automatically update from the workshop or not - I can't remember if its in steam or the game but its out there, so this is me being super helpful.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Legitimately wasted real money in order to make the badges for this game so I could get the two chirp emoticons.

What have I become.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I love it when a cim complains about the noise and I click on them to zoom and see what the problem is and they are in the middle of a high density commercial zone shopping for 12 hours.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

It would be so awesome if people actually needed parking and wouldn't drive if there was nowhere to park. That's how most good cities get everyone onto transit/walking, there's just no where to park. It would also be educational to show the true cost of parking and how you either need like 50k a piece underground parking or destroy your city with fast fields of cheap surface parking, which depends on cheap land.

But the game has /tons/ of parking so I don't know if its possible to even test the theory - even if you do everything you can to avoid making any roads that have it. People park in ploppables that have it, people park in buildings that have it, people even park in high rises that have it then walk home.. so. Yeah.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

:allears:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

xzzy posted:

Owns. I assume it's a ploppable?

Though the entrance ramp has comically tight turns, gonna be a lot of shredded car doors.

It would be awesome if it could be a growable, it gets taller and accepts more cars as it upgrades.

Yeah it's a "park", checked in the workshop and it was the highest rated in the last week and right in my face, so I opted for it.

Of course, people don't drive up the ramps or anything, but they do park in it, in the usual Cim way of just driving through ghost walls.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I feel like even when we have grids they have to be at an angle.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
The thing with dependencies is if you subscribe to something that has them, it pops up saying you need "bobs citrus tree 1, leanne's box prop" and so on, and they are all clickable and easy to subscribe to.

So we have that, at least.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Ah the memories.

Meanwhile;

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

#JustNewDelhiThings

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

All of the shafts.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Hmm, good stuff, lets just clean this up and leave well enough alo-..

Urbanisation ruins all things.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
At first I thought It's probably cause the area pushing out into the "lake" on the right is actually below the mountain, but then I realised what you meant and now and you have broken my poor mind.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Level 3, typically, and a big enough footprint available. They are rarer in European Theme as well, as many of the level 3 choices are European themed wall-to-wall copies of level 1/2, unless you have tons of growables.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

The UK Terrace Theme makes me happy :britain:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Respect my (Port) Authority.

Even if it is badly designed.

P.S. Mod Makers please don't make more pieces for harbours or air ports or dear god sea walls or something or I'm never going to be able to quit this game.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Avocados posted:

I hope this game prints enough money to warrant expansions/sequels.

I think sales over 1m~ units before the Steam Summer Sale, I believe, for a game they expected to maybe shift, I think it was 200k? over its entire lifetime.. yeah, I think they have more than enough enticing them to keep working on this title for a while, and being partnered with Paradox who encourage "DLC" type expansions, It's more than inevitable.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I'd like something that tells me what the most resource intensive mods and assets are because these loading times are getting crazy.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Tippis posted:

Ok. S:c:AD lesson #1: Do not put a bus lane in front of the cemetery. It looks nice, but then the bodies start piling up… :doh:

I dont know the issue there, Emergency vehicles can use Bus Lanes - although hearses are not them I guess.

Basically, from my experience, bus lanes are "suggestions" and things that are a) not a bus or emergency vehicle or b) not even a taxi, will use them if they need to.

Like really, they should just rename them "please maybe don't use this" lanes.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Its worth noting that the new districting for Leisure (aka, all night funtimes) and Tourism (HOTELS, BLUE HOTELS FOR EVERYONE) are essentially their own themes as well, and I like some of the new buildings. Essentially, while you get the "visual update" so to speak, the DLC basically makes the night time actually have a gameplay effect. Either way, its cheap and worth it to support the game in my own opinion. Personally, tourism feels more impact-full in terms of how many people i've noticed "coming in", and, essentially, the real time feedback of your hotels and touristy shops saying "not enough customers". It even made me put down a little airport although I have yet to plop down the new mega-one.

Of course, obligatory screenshot spam time from my first real attempt to build a city (which is like.. 20% done right now) that I may actually stick with in AD, particularly since the massive traffic problem I was having has seemingly resolved itself.

A shot from said airport. It was a nice dusk shot when I was just messing around so I took it.

A good comparison of a European "old town" compared with the lighting on an "International" new town.

A "look back the other way" from the same general area.

Hotels are blue. And Bright.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Theres a mod that fixes games not starting/loading since After Dark, so might wanna look that up, its usually on the workshop landing page.

Personally I had some random asset corruption that required a game verification, so that's always an option.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Hadlock posted:

How are you setting up your cities so they look so natural?

Theres 2 easy ways. The simplest is to make grids that are "random" (Like 4x4 but then 6x4 and 8x3 or whatever bizzare combination you want) inside of your main thoroughfares, and also to trade in 4 way junctions for T-Junctions. It adds a bit of variety but is still, obviously, just grids.

We then come to the big secret - free form road option. Just build curves, go crazy, build weird as heck semi circles inside of your grids, and on the edge of cities build little semi circles and be liberal with little curved offroads and stuff and plop low density on em if it doesn't feel right to go tall or wall-to wall, like a typical european suburb. Don't be afraid to curve your main roads where it suits, and build around with MOAR CURVES. Essentially, curves.

Use the ped path tool for gaps you want to turn into parkland and fill any unsightly, non-hellscape metropolis gaps with trees. Really, trees.

Trees everywhere, they hide all problems.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Roads need to be close, varies on certain structures, they can survive on one or two cells distance from a road, usually. Mileage can vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
This drat game is so pretty, even when screenshots get wrecked by steam.

Only a million more hours crawling along at "too many people!" speed to go.