Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
God this is a really cool game. Having actual people going to work and firefighters failing to reach their destination because of my horrific road planning is actually awesome. I'm still only 30 minutes into this, but so far everything is intuitive and makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
You know I never cared about traffic and city planning because you could make a viable city in SC4 even with commute times from hell. That part always seemed boring to me and the game didn't really punish it. This game is kicking my rear end for really lazy planning and nonsensical roads. Its frustrating because I'm so used to neglecting it. But I did finally make a city that was moderately populated but easy to drive though (although everyone got sick and dead because of an unrelated poop problem).

Its pretty satisfying when I solve little traffic issues, and even more-so when I know all the cars/people im looking at are actually real. Even though I'm garbage at this game compared to SC4, I dont think I can go back. Actual visual feedback is a magical thing and I've become excited about traffic.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Whenever I make a city, I pause the game, draw all the roads, set up utilities, zone land, and so on. Then I press play at let it come to life at once.

Except today, I think I realized the problem with that a couple of hours into a city. The Chirper/Twitter thing went off and suddenly hundreds of people were complaining about the smell of bodies in their houses. I zoom out and it appears that countless people are dying. The cemetery's hearses are all in use, unable to transport a sudden +200 bodies in the neighborhood. Even my shopping centers are plagued with corpses. Absolute mass death. I check the Health tab to see that only 5-6 people are sick (a mix of proximity to industry and this new problem). Commence frantic menu browsing to see whats wrong.

After discovering the Age overlay, I realize the Elderly have slowly become the #1 age group by a large margin. Their silent victory was coming to a rapid end, though. The overwhelmingly uneducated great pioneers that helped build this city have met with the fate we all share.

They lay to rest in my miasma-striken industrial park waiting for the incinerator to convert them to power.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Ped walkways should probably be in the road section. These things are magical.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

El Jeffe posted:

I just started playing this on my 1920x1080 TV and I desperately need a mod for larger text. I tried the one called "Text Scale Mod" and it doesn't work at my resolution. Anybody got a recommendation?

Seconding this. Even when it scales correctly, the text will leak out of dialogue boxes.

Also I realized that, while having a total pedestrian city is awesome, I gave up all my extra income from mass transit.

I really miss small parks/plazas from Simcity. It would be nice if you could "paint" them in green space. The default parks are seemingly gigantic, even though the scale between the two games is very different

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 23, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
e:nm

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 24, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
For some reason the 2 starer highway lanes mess me up. I'm never really sure what to do with them, so I just merge both of them into a 6 lane road and draw that through my city. I really freak out about that for some reason.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
God drat this autismal game and the 2 hours I spent watching traffic patterns so I could fix my seussian spaghetti city

e: I think the biggest lesson I learned today was: build and expand very, very slow. Just spending a couple of minutes thinking about road placement before mindlessly paving roads saves headaches later on. Although there's sort of a very strange, uncomfortable thrill when you fix some downtown gridlocked hellhole into a beautifully flowing commute.

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 28, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

double nine posted:

Does anyone know of a guide for setting up a good bus/metro network? What distance to put them, how far apart, do you set up routes inside of your housing district or strictly between districts, etc...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410236188&insideModal=1

This is more of a traffic/mass transit 101 sorta thing, but it's been incredibly useful for me. A lot of good pointers and pitfalls to avoid.

e:Actually its been updated. Theres a lot more stuff on here now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Its hard playing this with all the mods I relied on being outdated by the update :smith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I killed so many cims in an attempt to make a poop powered dam. Those who weren't flooded away got fatally ill. The worst part was that so many died there was a noticable drop in poop water (dam energy), so I had to put my coal pants back. I love this game and its brutal reminders of unintended consequences.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I watched a friend play SC4:RH yesterday and I realized something; that game had a freakish amount of visual detail, and it still looks really pretty 12 years down the road. I miss the small ploppables, dynamic street/avenue decoration and mostly lack of green space. I realize that's comparing a huge studio vs. 13 people, sprites vs. 3D, isometric vs 3D camera, and 2003 vs. 2015, but man do I miss it.

Still, im in this weird spot where I can never touch SC4 again because I love ~agents~.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are we talking about SC4 plus Rush Hour as it came out of the box? Or SC4 as it exists in 2015 with ten years' worth of mods?

Yeah out of the box is pretty impressive. Some of the modded stuff is cool, but I never really liked adding visual stuff in because more often than not it was inconsistent with the rest of the game's art style (or it looked way better and thus looked weird).I think mods will pave the way in this game for better aesthetics, considering the devs are incredibly supportive of it.

I hope this game prints enough money to warrant expansions/sequels.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I finally made a city that didn't succumb to traffic woes. While my city was big curvy and unique, there were so many repeat buildings. The plastic aesthetic kills me. :smith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I wish there were more small parks in the workshop. I don't care if scale is weird, it just sucks having parks take a huge part of land.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Has anyone yet figured out how to mod emergency vehicle sirens?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421527612

Despite it being in 0.1 and the authors first mod, I've had no trouble with it and haven't heard sirens since.

I'm really hoping for a graphical/asset update sometime soon. I'm getting weary on all the familiar buildings.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 4, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I guess I meant if there was any way to replace the sirens. Having downloaded some German emergency vehicles, it's a bit off when they don't make the signature neeeeee-naaaawww siren noise.

Oops. Sorry. I've only known people who disliked it because its so disproportionately loud compared to the other city sound effects.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Very very excited for the new expansion. They've won my heart.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Count Roland posted:

What are the important mods these days? I haven't played it since release, but the game seems more complete now. Tunnels! Mods that let you remove traffic lights and poo poo. What are the best ones?

Breetai listed some good ones.

Quality of life mods I like:

No More Purple Pollution- does what it sounds like.
Crossings- allows pedestrian walkways in the middle of streets without requiring an intersection. (Cims are goodytwoshoes and never jaywalk.)
Automatic Bulldoze- Gets rid of burned/abandoned buildings
SilenceObnoxiousSirens- eeeeoooooeeeoooooeeeoooo
Underground Power Cables 2.2- Doesn't replace power lines but adds an alternative to them

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Efexeye posted:

As always I will pimp my Starter City, for I enjoy self flagellation:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=437491709

Gonna subscribe when I get home. I love CS but I hate building the foundation, especially because cities wont grow unless they're connected to a highway. I get some weird anxiety about making the perfect entrance to the city because it always becomes congested.

e: Also is there a mod for power-free water pumps/sewage spewers? I always have these wayyyyy far from my city and its a PITA to connect them with power lines when they require so little power to begin with.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Le0 posted:

What is the best way to easily unlock all stuff? I thought that simply loading the GTA map worked but it didn't do anything for me?

Isnt there an option to unlock everything in the mods menu? That's one of two mods that come in the base game (the other being unlimited funds).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Can a city survive without dirty industry? Eventually because of education policy and college education, no one works factories anymore so I just place offices to negate the demand instead. My commercial areas will just import materials they need then right?

buglord fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 28, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm still waiting for a mod that gives power lines much larger radii.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Ofaloaf posted:

I tried experimenting with moody lighting:

I thought the second and third shots were real life comparisons for a moment, even with thumbnails expanded.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Any collections of high tech/level 3 industry growables floating around? I miss the nice lawn-having HT industrial parks from SC4.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Koesj posted:

There aren't that many buildings available in the 'Industrial Generic' category (only 172), and a quick glance tells me that you're probably not going to get what you're looking for :(

:(

Yeah, it looks more or less the same from when I last checked a week or two ago. I figured some intrepid user would have ported them in at some point. They were real nice to look at.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Ofaloaf posted:

I recall seeing things up on the workshop with the 'HAM' name attached, and I could've sworn there was a HAM in the SC4 modding scene, but googling it now I get nothing and I'm starting to wonder if aliens put fake memories in my head or something.

I dunno how it was related in SC4 but I totally remember HAM being something related to modding.

SC4 had some pretty good custom content but the super highly-detailed stuff clashed with Maxis default buildings. It as always hit and miss for me.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I finally got around to adding in some of the custom music packs floating around in the workshop. I nabbed the SC3000 and SC4 ones to start. I forgot how shockingly good those soundtracks were. C:S, though it's great, has some pretty sterile music.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Alabaster White posted:

I keep seeing references to pedestrian paths and bike lanes but see no options at all to make either of these in-game (unless pedestrian paths refer to the seemingly useless concrete paths). Are they tied to expansions?

They're in the Parks tab, oddly enough. The dirt path looking icon

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Has there been any news for a sequel/new DLC? I keep going back to SC4 just because graphically its way more interesting and diverse. But I loooovveee the transportation simulation aspect of C:S

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Do passenger trains have a practical use compared to subway? Money is hardly an issue in C:S and I think cost was the only benefit trains have. But trains look cooler than subways in general :shobon:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Police Automaton posted:

I always toyed with the idea of a city where there's no private traffic (all pedestrian, service and public) and I think it might be possible.
There's some prefab road layouts that have all the infrastructure, you just gotta plop the zone. But its *too* efficient and it ruins the fun of handcrafting a ped/bike town. However, yeah it can be done.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This...this isn't what I wanted at all! :smith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

The Orange Mage posted:

Are the roads in the correct direction? (As in, not one-way roads facing outward only?)

Also check your on-ramps too. I've had that happen before where one was facing the wrong direction (without any icon being displayed as well) and that prevented anyone from moving in despite buildings being under construction. I think cims need to be able to hypothetically leave the city too before they move in.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Poil posted:

That's... some picture there alright. :stare:

:negative:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I might be a huge sperg for this, but $6 for Snowfall still seems like a rip, since snow-only maps just seem like busywork. I wasn't too enthralled on After Dark, but that was more of a "developer support" purchase. With the way Snowfall turned out and that announcement for disaster/mission DLC, dev support feels hard to justify.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

Just hold your nose and buy it for the trams. I didn't want to buy it to "send them a message" but CO doesn't give a gently caress, just buy those trams and call it a day.

The other part of the problem is that I can barely make buses/subways efficient. Maybe I should get that down before throwing another tool into the mix :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

I dont understand whats going on here, its awesome yet terrifying and confusing? Long hellways to spread out traffic more? :stare:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I really want a skylines 2 now. I see it as a glorified puzzle game where you build a city as large as you can without traffic choking it to death. Or I guess the opposite is true, where you load up an old map and fix horrendous traffic conditions. But I still occasionally go back to SC4 because somehow the 14 year old game still has nice visuals and a zillion ways to personalize a city (with mods to be fair).

but yea, traffic model good. blandish graphics...not so good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

turn off the TV posted:

Just have a gander at the recent top posts on the game's subreddit and you'll find that, with the right mods and settings, the game can manage to look pretty incredible.
Yeah I'm well aware it can look nice. But it would be nicer to have that prettiness baked in. Honestly though, I dunno if real 3D has a leg up over the pre-rendered house models yet. It seems like less artist/modder work to do that instead of actual 3D buildings. I guess what I'm trying to say is, despite me wanting Skylines 2, I don't think the technology is there yet to have as much visual detail and unique elements to make it as varied as SC4.