Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
At last, the mod we truly needed: Fudged Population count!

Ofaloaf posted:

Where the devil are statistics? I'm dumb and haven't figured out all the controls yet.

Btw, for easier access: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408613485&searchtext=

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

kinnas posted:

On the stream the day before release she flat out stated that she got into video games pretty much only to make money. Just lots and lots of money. In it for the money. Somehow this didn't trigger a childish cynic alert but instead made her and her wacky bunch of Finns all the more endearing.

She's just so honest with herself and everything. I think that's the thing that makes it so endearing.

It also shows she's a good CEO. She wants money, knows that to make money you need a good game and has a clear understanding that she has no idea about videogames so she leaves it to the people who do know and takes care of the rest. This is the ideal environment (management-wise) for developers.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yo do you want a new UI. Check this out.

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=424995783&searchtext=silicon

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Poizen Jam posted:

Having my city saves break because traffic++ decided to update is getting kind of old. I really wish we had the option of turning off auto updates.

Didn't they add a switch for that in the latest update?
Let's see...
Yeah, --noWorkshop will disable steam workshop.

Also you can either have super impressive mods that change a shitton of things or you can have a stable game. It's just the nature of programming. The more power you give people to add functionality to your software the more power you give people to remove functionality from your software.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 30, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Poizen Jam posted:

That's all well and good but unfortunately some mods cannot be removed without breaking a save game

I'd assume disabling Steam Workshop would disable autoupdates. Disabling mods is done with the --disableMods switch, anyways.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

zedprime posted:

Something like that is subject to serious oscillations without coefficients with some ridiculous precision found after a shitload of balancing. Those coefficients themselves might also need to be a function of the state of the city which starts approaching a problem that is hard to tackle algorithmically, but that could turn into a gameplay feature where you tweak the advertising or whatever to push people to one or the other. It would be awesome and amazing and probably multiple man years of work which is a large ask for a studio of like a dozen people. Different modes makes it a little easier than dynamic routing and there's already a probablistic portion of agent decision making to prefer different modes already because that fuzz is necessary for the bare minimum of cims not all flocking to the single fastest route, which turns to the slowest because its over capacity.

Simple idea, complex implementation, but it would totally be the secret sauce that would be fundamental in making Skylines a better game instead of just putting more and more frosting on a staling cake.

Transit at the moment exists entirely to trap cims forever in station purgatory to keep them off the road in deference of the taxable trucks. I won't argue its time for a new, better game with better mechanics though, its just rebalancing from the ground up. Which it really needs.

A fairly simple way to deal with this is to apply a smoothing function to the preference inputs, which prevents hard spikes caused by negative feedback oscillation of demand and congestion and lets things converge to the optimal faster since it'll have more time to change direction as the system approaches maximum capacity.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Bold Robot posted:

If you want to go really crazy, Ronyx Expressway highway assets are the best looking highways out there, but they are super difficult to use and peak mod jank. You have to put in all pillars manually. But it looks pretty sick.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mameluke posted:

I think more C:S players than not would prefer this game no longer be supported so that the mods don't break every time devs arbitrarily decide to add more minigames
I really doubt most users would be happy with no bugfixes, new functionality or new stuff in general.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm fairly sure there are more people are interested in following an individual sim than in building the ideal factory logistics. Even SimCity 4 added U-Drive It with Rush Hour. People like interacting with the city as more than a statistical model. Just like they like interacting with individual guests in Roller Coaster Tycoon/Planet Coaster, or individual patients in Theme Hospital, etc. It's why The Sims overtook every single other simulation game in existence.

The door was opened with SC4, and CSL paved the entrance. Removing individual simulation will never be seen as anything less than a regression.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 14, 2019

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

OwlFancier posted:

I guess so, just seems really strange that the game can handle massive pedestrian density easier than it can car queuing.

It's likely that a big reason is that roads have lanes, which means a single road segment is actually multiple pathfinding segments. There's also the much more complex intersection behavior, pedestrian crossings, lane switching, etc. And since it has to do math for every node (even straight nodes, because lane switching), it gets exponential.

Gonna quote some guys in the Real Time mod github which were in turn quoting some guys in the TMPE mod github:

quote:

Case in point, in a recent pull request review on the TMPE mod, this cropped up:

Assuming every source lane has 2 target lanes on average: n * 2 extra computations needed (max. 262144 * 2 = 524288) which gives us a total maximum of 2*n*n + n*2 = 137,439,477,760 required calculations.

That's the outcome of an increase from 1 to 2. Simple change, big ramifications.

(This also illustrates why CO has refused to integrate TMPE-like behavior to the base game, btw)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think what they're suggesting is that it all follows statistical models and only spawn agents that follow those models for stuff that's in view.
A more advanced version of what SimCity 4 did for its cars, I think.

Personally I'd rather have a limited size city than lose agents, I like seeing peeps running around and micromanage their pathfinding with stuff like TMPE and high-detail road construction. I'd actually prefer if they had more detail to their simulation, like an integrated Real Time mod (and select destinations based on wealth, education and distance).

On a vaguely related note, is there a way to make subways use both platforms on the terminus and have them switch tracks on an alcove past the station? It's how they do it here so yeah.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Free update details:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/cities-skylines-campus-dev-diary-6-free-update.1178499/

Salient points:
  • Baked-in vehicle customization for bus lines.
  • Industry policy that shifts them to mechanized production, makes them use educated workers instead.
  • Library building, gives entertainment and a very small chance of leveling up a sim's education.
  • Education levels now properly follow the education track, e.g. an adult can't go from uneducated to educated by going to uni, if they miss the boat that's it. This has two consequences:
    • There's no more discrepancy between number of graduates and expected number of educated citizens.
    • By preventing cims from leveling their education later on, the education spread should be more even, making it easier to keep uneducated adults for zoned industry, for example.
  • New option to prevent fires from spreading, including tree fires (no forest fires).

as an aside, were you able to have multi-building complexes that only needed one main building for city services? because that could have modding potential, depending on how exactly it's implemented.

e: oh, so they did answer how'd Match Day (real football) stadiums interact with Campus stadiums.

quote:

The Match Day arenas can be placed inside University zones, but you can't customize them the way University arenas work. They're still considered city-wide buildings. They expect modders will make variants that work with the new University features.

quote:

Campus arenas can be placed anywhere and they'll work like a Match Day stadium outside of Campus zones.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 17, 2019

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

pointlessone posted:

The most important part of the free update: school buses! My perfect small Midwest town gets closer. Speaking of, is there some way to throttle down these dang trucks? I want to dump barns and silos out on tiny roads, but they choke under the hundreds of trucks. I just want an animated model train world, stop being so productive, you jerks!

Try https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1562650024 and https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1721492498.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

pointlessone posted:

These helped quite a bit, but I need more/less!

I want to kill off 90% of my traffic in general. I think I'm going to have to but the bullet and figure out how to write mods for this game. Sleepy little 6 block towns shouldn't have 400 trucks on the streets because there's a few fields worth of apple trees nearby!

I've been running on those and I don't recall getting that much truck traffic? I also run with the realistic population mod mentioned above, it also reduces goods production. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

Note that that mod rebalances residential such that you're gonna have to add a lot of low-density residential before you can hit the population thresholds needed to unlock high-density. Whether you like this or not is up to you, but having installed it without knowing that tidbit I was thrown off by how long it was taking me to unlock stuff.

(And then when you start using high-density your pop shoots way up)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 28, 2019

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This is not really related to anything, but as a small reminder, zones and their growables will cover trees but won't destroy them, so they're still there, invisible, eating up resource limits.

I didn't test very much to see if they still had a gameplay effect (land value didn't change in the short term, at least) but if you're short on trees for whatever reason (I am aware there's a mod for that but still) or perhaps you wanna free up some computer resources consider picking them with the move it mod and deleting them.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
SimCity 3000, 4, Rush Hour and 2013 all in one playlist make for high quality work music.
2013 alone if you need more chill in your life.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Minenfeld! posted:

SC2K has the best. What's wrong with you all?

I've grown tired of the chiptune-y era of music. If they remastered those I'd be all over it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

dogstile posted:

This game not making me require a ton of parking is my biggest complaint tbh.
Traffic Manager has an option to disable pocket cars and have parking for every cim. Demand naturally fluctuates based on your public transport.

nielsm posted:

I recorded a bunch of it fresh from an original Sound Canvas. Game played via DOSBox, music played through MIDI-out to a hardware synth. This is how it was always supposed to sound. In defense of the SimCity 2000 sound track
That does sound pretty great! You can still tell it's a midi or equivalent, but the only way to eliminate that is with a real recording.
Do you have it in split tracks?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Comstar posted:

I got a bug to build cities again, last time I played was at release, and I seem to have forgotten everything and am terrible at this game that deserves a better class of player than me.

I think by now there's probably a mod for every problem I have, but there's so many to look through (and a of the ones on page 1 of the thread no long exist or are no longer working).

How do I do trams without having too many on the line? I put down two routes that have to overlap somewhat and it immediately causes a tram traffic jam.

I got some farms up, deleted all my industry but the farms keep complaining they don't have enough uneducmecatedtrumvoters to work at slave wages. Will higher educated workers still work there? The game seems to be telling me to not build schools, so I hope I'm reading that wrong.

Am I correct in seeing that farms (and I'm guessing forestry) makes more money than industry does? Maybe I didn't keep enough of it, but the game seems to be telling me to get rid of all the pollution and just make farms instead.

Simcity for all it's faults allowed me to see at a glance what was what based on the art direction. The Skylines buildings all merge into a sameness that I can't see what's a commercial, house, fire station, park or whatever without using an overlay. Is there a mod that has a closer to Simcity 2-3-4 art direction for the buildings? Maybe I'm just missing having low/med/high density buildings, I've not got a city built up enough yet to get higher density buildings.

Is there a mod that allows me to put down lots of trees at once rather than clicking each one by one. Or even better, allows me to put down a mix of different trees all at the same time.

Trams: Improved Public Transport 2, control number of vehicles in a line directly. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928128676

Farms: Employ Overeducated Workers is the direct fix. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1674732053&searchtext=
Realistic Population and Consumption Mod also adjusts education levels, but is much more all-encompassing. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

I haven't seen industry making more money but maybe it's got to do with exports?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Came back to it this weekend and got it sorted and whoops there goes 12 hours. :kiddo: The lack of autosave is a killer though, I lost almost half of that progress when I accidentally bumped the power cord with my knee.

But the game does have autosave? I guess it's not enabled by default. Check options.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

a7m2 posted:

To me, the game is more of a traffic and logistics simulator more than anything else, and unless you just copy pre-fab solutions for everything, traffic remains a fairly challenging problem throughout the game for as long as you're expanding, in my experience.

On that note, have you heard of Transport Fever 2? It comes out tonight and it sounds like it's right up your wheelhouse.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

MikeStmria posted:

I was gonna ask this a long time ago but I forgot.

Anyone has some decent workshop paths for pedestrians to use instead of making GBS threads on my traffick using crosswalks? If not, do you know what height should they have for everything to go through without issues?

In my experience the game's ped paths are good enough, but sometimes you need to manually turn the crosswalks off. Traffic Manager can do that. Unfortunately it can't do anything about the zebra stripes.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zip! posted:

I guess the (not fixable in this game) solution would be to make it so that you can zone off of any path or roadway but then make parking its own supply indicator (like water or power), that can be offset by available public transport within a defined walking distance. That way you could have things like office parks and European high streets but they would only grow if people were actually able to get there.

What about TMPE's Parking AI? Or is that not complete enough?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I really liked the addon system. It gave a bit of customization and also let you scale capacity (and cost) in a cooler and more intuitive way than fiddling with a budget slider.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
iirc they were added to base game with the release of snowfall

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
One should be wary of modders that offer replacements to widely-used mods under vague pretenses of being better but don't actually specify any new features.

Also never trust a modder that has blocked comments.

E: What's most stupid is that this guy uses github so all the evidence is public and unremovable short of killing the repo.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1637663252/4731597528356140067/#c4731597528356907380

quote:

Several modders are now investigating what's in the "download from github" version of the "Harmony (Redesigned)" mod, and it's not looking good.

Notably, the code it contains does not exist in any of the workshop releases, nor does it exist in the source code repository. It appears to be a different mod (modders are still investigating). Additionally, the way it downloads a zip file isn't controlled in any way; it can be any zip file that Holy Water uploads - it is automatically executed (run) when you start the game, even if the mod is disabled (it self-enables itself).

Image link of collapsed code view after decompiling the "download from github" version of "Harmony (Redesigned)": https://imgur.com/C8GZaQ9

Update: The `MalwareBypass` code blocks are doing stuff like disabling bits of Boformer's Harmony mod, and also remove feeds, workshop ads, whatsnew panel, dlc panels, paradox account panel and whole game telemetry. The code is still being investigated.

Reminder that C:S mods are DLL that do not run in a sandbox and can do anything a user can. Never forget that DLL mods are extremely dangerous.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Sounds like it's exporting all your raw material?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

PT6A posted:

In terms of game design, it seems like everyone has a collection of things they really want to nerd out over, and others they want to ignore. The game should accommodate that by allowing the player to select the level of detail they want in each specific system.

Unfortunately in reality this would just lead to a terrible game because when has a game that can't commit to a design decision ever ended well. (Also the scope creep would be absurd)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

mrpwase posted:

My dream is having a new map start by procedurally generating a medieval town or village and then accelerating through the ages to the present day, so you start off with trunk routes, old market squares, awkward streets and appropriately placed old buildings, and the districts of your city have historical meaning. I recognise I'm probably the only one though!

(replace medieval for colonial for most of the market the game is aimed at I guess :shrug:)

Run an instance of Dwarf Fortress in the background, have it generate a world, then import that world for gameplay.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
having 12 different zoning options with subtly difference choices sounds like a bit of a nightmare from a UX perspective
also a lot of that I feel would work better as district policies.

like, keep the usual RCI + density zones, add the ability to zone more than one type in the same space, then add a bunch of district policies and sliders like max pollution, max loudness, max traffic, nightlife, etc. which influence what kinda buildings choose to pop up and the corresponding local effects. And then if you change the policy existing buildings are grandfathered unless you run the bulldozer through.

and for convenience the ability to copypaste or otherwise transfer district policies.

e: also local effects for ploppables. like, elementary schools force speed limits on adjacent roads (unless you turn off the policy in which case your roadkill stats go up), government & police buildings attract protests that may scare away commercial while transit stations increase pedestrian traffic which attract commercial, hospitals & fire buildings create noise zones, etc. (basically extend what games already do with pollution)

also $$ and $$$ zones could develop private schools and clinics and whatnot that supplement your public works' capacity but only if the demand, zoning and policies line up.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 1, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's less the number and more about the distinction between zones. RCI is popular because it's easy to grasp. Yes, SC4 has 9 zones but they aren't 9 zones, they're 3 types x 3 densities. Red/green/blue + light/medium/dark. (Plus brown for landfills)
That's why I proposed overlapping RCI zones instead of mixed zones. It's easy to grasp "Mid R + Low C" or "Low R + Low I" or such, and it lets you keep using existing visual language using stripes for the combinations. If you don't want to allow silly combinations (why not? experimenting is fun), just disallow the respective overlaps.

In your example I don't know what's the difference between Mid Rural C and Mid Town C or High C and High Urban C and I'd have to be checking the tooltip, and it'd need new visual language to communicate the difference because you don't want your players to need to use the magnifying glass every time they forget what they zoned. The subtler the differences, the harder it is to communicate them to the player at a glance.

tbh I care much less about the realism level than I do about UX and fun. And frankly I don't think realism is a worthwhile selling point.
Plus, it means you're once again fixing the game to a singular paradigm, and disallowing experimentation. The advantage of specifying the restrictions independently is that you can build your own schemes that may or may not make sense but may better match what you personally know or maybe you just want to have some fun tormenting sims by allowing nightclubs everywhere.
And I maybe failed to communicate this but I meant policies as about what's allowed to be built, but doesn't mean it lets you instantly remove whatever fails to qualify for the new standards.

E: I'd absolutely hate a city builder without a dozer. We're talking about a game, dude.

e2: random thought. homeless population could be represented by having zero-$ residential popping up in undeveloped (and possibly unzoned) land and generally being a pain in the rear end to remove. kinda funny only tropico models that kinda stuff. (that I know of)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 2, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

mutata posted:

The charm, personality, and visuals of SC4 and even the most recent SimCity are best in genre, imho.

SC2016 had a lot of nice touches. I loved how you could expand buildings by plopping additional pieces.
It also looked really nice and the music was always great.
Shame the core systems were hosed.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DoubleNegative posted:

I know it's almost heresy to ask, but is TMPE really worth using anymore? I almost never use any of its features, so all it's really doing for me is taking up RAM. Even worse - it's breaking the vanilla junctions manager, so I can't go in and click off traffic lights on my main street and instead have to deal with using TMPE's less user-friendly system.

Doesn't TMPE still provide significant adjustments to the vehicular AI that make things work smoother?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I meant smoother in the sense of less goofy behaviors like the lane changing logic, but yeah the more realism bits too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

VostokProgram posted:

I like the idea, but I think it'll be a challenge to run the simulation fast enough. And you'd have to figure out how to render the visual averaging effect.

Use a statistical model as the core sim and have its data seed the agents spawned for real time mode. Use a background thread or two to precalculate stuff based on the state of the statistical sim and the current viewport and some clever wipe or zoom blur to disguise the transition.

It's probably a huge pain in the rear end.

What C:S needs to do IMO is to lie more.
Have the simulation group up buildings into units of two or three and simulate that, so it has better parity with vehicle numbers. (And make vehicles represent more people than it looks like).
Have vehicles pile up on top of each other when you're not looking so more cars can cross the intersection in a given traffic light period. Separate'em once they're out of view, or make'em invisible so it doesn't look ugly.
Stuff like that. More smoke and mirrors so your simulation can have its systems on the same scale (or close to it).

It's still a pain in the rear end tbh but wouldn't involve weird hybrid strategies.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 3, 2023

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Baronjutter posted:

I liked the simcity 2013 system where you'd place down a general service building and then could upgrade as needed. Specially if we get to plop down modules where and how we like so every building is unique.

2013's module system was one of the greatest innovations in city building and it's a shame it's never been used again. Being able to organically grow your ploppables according to local needs is huge. IIRC you could even use it to set up school bus stops so it had a secondary function as service zone controller.

It's also way more interesting than fiddling with budget sliders.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DarkLich posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/255710/view/3657524427209045376?curator_clanid=6754604&utm_source=TechRaptor

Tons of new transport hubs and road types announced. At last, there are vanilla options for larger monorails and shorter ferries.

Love that this is all free, but it's going to make an already dense UI menu even harder to navigate.

Oh man this stuff just makes me want the SC2013 style building customization stuff even more.
Imagine if you could place a generic hub and then build parking, entrance/exit roads, bus depots, metro track and whatever else right into the building according to your preferences.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

You have no drat idea how excited I was to see that upgrade window. It's literally the one thing from SC2013 I kept saying I wanted.

They also showed it for a university btw.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Looking forward to making an outside connection to export garbage and accidentally flood my city with through traffic.