Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhYbOyS9Wg

Here's that amazing traffic light and intersection manager mod. Can't wait.

I will jump on this mod as soon as it is released, setting traffic priority and turning lanes probably should have been a built-in feature. Light-timing looks like :effort:, though. What would be great is if you could just select a string of intersections in a row and have the game compute the optimal synchronization for you. Or the way it works in my hometown, where the lights are fed information from sensors under the pavement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Imaginary Friend posted:

Checked out the workshop for this game and fourty downloads later I fear that my computer will blow up in my face.
Also, have a bonus picture of towers:

What's the really tall one in the back? That's not in the base game, is it?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

watch out they're coming for you :tinfoil:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I really want to make a DC/Paris style city at some point. Grand avenues radiating at different angles from important landmarks, imposed on a grid of smaller streets.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can someone tell me if the European buildings mode is actually working? I haven't played the game for a really long time. It seems like it should be working, since my police station looks like this:

But on the other hand, all the growable buildings look like this:

I'm playing on a European map and the style is enabled in the content manager, but when I click on a district's policies it says "Default Style" and I can't see a way to change it.

e: And I should add that this is a pretty new city, ~3,000 people. I haven't seen any obviously European stuff like wall-to-wall buildings, but maybe they only show up at higher densities?

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 2, 2015

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

For all the custom content frustration, this game is pretty.

What map is that, and what trees are you using?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Koesj posted:

2. Paradox is a publisher known for releasing overly complicated, unstable, and not at all robust titles.

This was definitely true a few years ago, but I'm not sure it applies to CK2/EU4-era Paradox. Yeah, there are still bugs, but I feel like their games are pretty drat good compared to other big/medium game publishers.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Finally had a chance to sit down and play this since buying the expansion.

This game is so pretty that it makes my traffic hell cities look good, especially at night. :3:

I know! It doesn't matter what god-forsaken abomination I spew onto the map, if I wait for the right time of day and look at it from a certain angle, it'll still look nice. Thanks for making me feel good about myself, CO.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

One of you glorious goon modders needs to make a Landmark called Recycling Tanks that take in 100% of a city's dead and provides revenue commercial goods

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That is one sexy city. Congrats on beating the game

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgyb5wCVAAo

This guy has a cool way of making a canal city. I think I'll try something like this for my next game.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Sure, but there's got to ways to place a canal where it just looks right, rather than blatantly having them set up like "I built all this because I want canals and don't know what to do with them except plop them everywhere". I live in the rust belt, I don't know what the gently caress a canal district looks like or what a canal is supposed to do in the modern age.

Well you need to imagine what that canal was originally used for. Play on a map that has two separate rivers, for example, build your city on one, and run the canal through to the other. I'm phoneposting so I can't show you examples but look up pictures of cities that have canals/canalized rivers.

I guess this would be more of a quay thing but there are some good paintings that show off the Neva waterfront in St. Petersburg, you might get some inspiration there. Similarly for Hamburg or London.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's a stretch but, maybe update your graphics drivers?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Hi I've been in Los Angeles for the past week with a rental car and Cities Skylines has ruined it for me.

I've been screaming at two-lane on-ramps that merge into a single lane and *then* merge into the highway.

This is often implemented poorly but in principle is actually ok, you need two lanes to "hold" all the cars that are going at slow street speed and as they get to highway speed they merge together into the one lane.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This game seriously needs and deserves a sequel with game mechanics rebuilt from the ground up. Hopefully CO has had a team tasked with that ever since they realized this game was making them "gently caress you" money

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I forgot about that, didn't a guy get fired and like black-balled from the industry?

What's the story here

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This man is a hero

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

One of their employees seems to be insisting that there is some kind of "filler tool" on reddit and the preview screenshots have wall to wall buildings.

Who knows what that means because the screenshots with nice, organic wall to wall city blocks they're showing off on their website have Move It and Prop Anarchy's UI elements visibly present.

so uh

Lmao

At this point I feel like colossal must have accidentally made the greatest city builder of all time

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

this might be a weird question but was the story you told in one of your early episodes about taking students to Cambodia real?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There are already subway tunnels in LA, the metro red and purple lines use them. Doesn't seem like a stretch to add more :shrug:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think there's definitely something wonky with the volume of traffic that this game generates compared to the real world, and also the drivers are stupid. I see people on youtube making very sophisticated chains of roads where specific lanes can only go in specific directions to force the AI to actually spread the cars out, and you never see stuff like that in real life.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Started building my own housing estates. Having fun with it. Also my own factories. Also using maps that aren't flat.

Also enjoy that the factory complex can be fed comfortably with a rail line and a simple 2 lane road connected straight across the highway.

Tell me more about the factory setup, how do you avoid hordes of trucks clogging up your two lane road?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Well it has three cargo depots in it which helps :v:

I am using the rush hour mod which I would imagine probably changes how many trucks they emit but my solution to industrial traffic has always been shitloads of heavy cargo transport. The reason your roads (and cargo terminals) get clogged up is basically because you don't have enough of them and you have a lot of cargo to move. If you sprinkle cargo terminals around the place then the game will generally pick the closest one. So it spreads your truck load to multiple points inside the industrial sector rather than out onto the highway.

The workers, of course, get there by cable car.

The complex does have a reasonable amount of traffic but almost all of it is internal and quickly terminates at a rail depot. Almost everyone commutes via cable car and then walks or cycles from the cable car stop.

Hmm. I was under the impression that adding more cargo stations effectively just generates more train traffic. Is that no longer the case?

I guess if what you have works I will probably do similar stuff in my next city for every industrial region. I wonder if someone's made a freight station that just looks like a little industrial siding.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

bewilderment posted:

I just got this game thanks to a Humble Monthly a while back with the After Dark expansion and wow playing for a short while makes me realise why traffic designers make one-way roads. They're great for making one traffic problem go away and congesting another intersection instead where you aren't paying attention.

I think I'm about ready to build a new city with what I've learned from my current population of about 5k. Number 1: don't stick a big residential block next to the highway.

Finally, wtf why is 'roundabout' not a default intersection option? Not a big giant one that the game gives you by default that takes up an entire city block. Just something like this.

These are common on 2-way suburban streets where I live, what's with the crazy giant default asset.

there's a roundabout builder mod you should check out, it makes it easy to place a roundabout of a specific radius and road type over an intersection

also you need traffic manager president edition to make roundabouts function correctly (not having stop signs/lights on them, giving traffic already in the roundabout priority, etc.)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The slight downside is that you get your public transport systems in the wrong order. Everything is car centric before you invent the train. In reality, highways should be the last thing you get except for like, monorails and poo poo.

Possibly no town on earth had its rail line added after its highway system.

Irvine, CA.

The game simulates planned cities built from scratch after the 1950s, which is basically an urbanist's worst nightmare :v:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A city sim with a tech tree / era system like in Tropico could be cool.

Honestly I've been mulling over making my own city simulator game. I have the programming skills to do it for sure but I don't know if I have the game design skills to make it fun :v:

e: Does anyone remember the really old LP Grand Fromage did of SC4 where they built the region up slowly over time as it might have happened historically? I want that, but enforced by game mechanics

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

You guys remember a guy making a procedural city simulator game, even had account on these forums, and showed off videos and such? I forgot his name, or the name of the game. Anyone have bells ringing?

"Citybound" I think. European guy, very flat 2d sort of artstyle. I haven't seen that thread in years so I dunno if he's still working on it

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TorakFade posted:

also, I'm not sure I like this "milestones" thing. Great as a "tutorial", but after a couple cities made now when I start a city I'd just like to lay down the groundwork already without having to unlock everything bit by bit :(

I forget if it's one of the ones from the base game or it's on the workshop but there's a mod that unlocks all milestones, I always play with that now

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Trolleybusses are still used in San Francisco, although they just look like a normal double-bus with a pantograph on top. As the world moves off fossil fuels they might actually get more popular since they don't need batteries like a standalone electric bus would. Lithium mining is itself a polluting operation after all.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is it possible to play without the deathcare mechanic? Just turn off the need to transport corpses entirely

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's like a partially flattened stack, I think? Everyone's left turn flyovers have been put into the same plane.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ROFLburger posted:

colossal order needs to spill the beans about their next project(s) already

a dlc that adds a pony express transit option

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There is a mod to randomize the ages so you don't get death waves. Forget what it's called though

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

You don't have to do it at all though. SC4 sims will live in a squalid wasteland as long as there's water and power, you don't need to provide them a single service until you can afford it. Skylines sims are a little more insistent but you can still delay services until you can afford it, I don't think I've ever futzed with the funding sliders at all.

in SC4 they dont even need water! :eng101: i think the game justifies it as them digging wells or something

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. I'm in the middle of playing Skylines obsessively for a while but I suspect once I get bored with this city it'll go back on the metaphorical shelf and I won't touch it for another few years while I play a shitload of SC4.

Modern engine and its modification has its advantages though.

Easy to set up el rail over roads.

Traffic manager mod lets me set these to ban cars so I can have pedestrian neighborhoods.

How hard is it to get SC4 to work on Windows 10? And apart from NAM are there any other "required" mods?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How dare people grow their cities the way they want

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is it just me or are the concourse networks kinda ugly

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Deathcare also sucks because you have to plop crematoriums everywhere. I mod it out because I find it distasteful

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

aniviron posted:

Do the parking spaces on the default streets do anything? Or is there no downside to using the streets with trees besides cost?

Unmodded, cims "try" to use parking spots, but if none are available they can magically put the car in their pocket. They can also take it out of their pocket somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Maybe Finland has adopted a bunch of Americanisms wrt land-use patterns or something?