Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Anno posted:

The cheevo list is apparently available in (I assume?) the Xbox achievement API and has some interesting hints. Achievements include using both the editor and photo mode lol

https://www.trueachievements.com/n53097/cities-skylines-ii-xbox-achievements

e;fb

hell yes, assigning services to specific districts. No more fire trucks coming from across the map to put out a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Since it’s the mods that actually make the game I hope they implement some sort of better mod management and compatibility control. Spending hours after every update getting all the mods working again is a huge pain in the rear end.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Red Bones posted:

I'm curious to see how the sequel looks because the route C:S took to success is kind of weird, and mostly driven by people outside of Colossal Order. It's always been a relatively detailed traffic simulation with a very shallow city simulation on top of it, it succeeds initially because EA massively drops the ball with SimCity, and then most of its long-lasting success/social media popularity is from modders grafting a bunch of editor tools into it and using it to make really detailed virtual dioramas. Is CS2 going to lean much harder into the diorama-making side of gameplay? Have they figured out how to make interesting gameplay out of anything other than traffic management? It's really hard to judge by past performance when so many of the game's most popular features weren't made by the studio.

Hope so, for this type of game in the end game play becomes secondary to making a beautiful bonsai city. If it becomes a puzzle game of stats and demographics without being graphically pleasing with the ability to fully customize all the details of your city it’s gonna go the way of sim city.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 7, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

That... has absolutely nothing to do with why the SimCity series perished.

it is though, not enough ability to actually build a city at the size and detail to make it interesting and instead focused on gameplay mechanics that no one actually cared about.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mutata posted:

Yeah, I agree with all of that. CS has felt drab, bland, and clunky since the beginning. A lot of that is art, but it's also in how the art systems are used and communicates. Totally agree about the scale. The lighting feels super default. Building designs are mostly samey. Textures are simple and dated and drab. Vegetation is whatever. Terrain has no character.

Im surprised to see people speak well of "the simulation" in CS, and they must be mostly referring specifically to the traffic sim which I don't find compelling myself, but it's kind of the only truly fleshed out system in CS. The rest of it feels very very simplistic. SC4 was too, I suppose, but it didn't really let the mask slip as much, so it was easier for my imagination to just fill in the gaps.

Did you guys just play vanilla CS? None of this is true if you go into mods, which honestly is 80% of the attraction of CS for me at least, and I hope CS2 incorporates a lot of the most common mods as standard with all of the modders they hired over the past few years.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

jokes posted:

It also creates a system where a good city means there are no poor, uneducated people which is a little insane. You don't necessarily elevate poor, uneducated people either, you just kinda.... end up with only rich, educated people.

Ive just gone ahead and designed trailer parks and slums into my cities.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Depends on play style. Anything that removes control on how I design my city I generally dislike.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
was listening to a youtube Q&A by the guy who built the trailer city. He's still under NDA, but when asked about tile size / map size he mentioned that tiles were significantly smaller and that he "felt" that map was bigger but couldn't confirm. This sounds to me like that actual map size won't be that much bigger than CSI, you'll just have access to all the tiles instead of being limited.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Count Roland posted:

Traffic accidents eh. That sounds neat but could go horribly wrong if the agent system is anything like the first game.

I want less of a traffic focus, not more.

hopefully can just toggle it off.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
A nice exploration of the new road tools by the devs. Some more details than previous videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHvINwjMzAg

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 22, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

I just went to look this up as I'd never heard of it before and Jesus. Jesus. :staredog:

e; I love how Skylines is one of those games that just has a bunch of chill people building stuff on YouTube

Yea the Mars project is incredible, but also at that point it's not even a Cities Skylines game anymore.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm going to be the rear end in a top hat here: simulating accidents with physics objects is a waste of so many drat CPU cycles that could be used for so many better things.

Yea, don't see how this adds anything to game play. I could give less of a poo poo if the game models car accidents or not. Hopefully I can just turn it off.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MikeJF posted:

What it adds to gameplay is that you have to design your road network to be tolerant of interruptions, with alternate routes available, like real life. One of the issues with city planning is that poo poo happens.

This is done anyways as part of city design and addressed with their new traffic ai, don’t need a accident gimmick.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

My god all you had to do was tie maximum density to to the zoning, and the actual built density to demand and land value, like real life. Having a special zone for "low rent high density" is such a bonkers thing. Simcity 4 handled this fine, 3 zone densities and then the wealth level of the building was mostly just based on the demand for housing for that wealth level. A lot of rich people needing housing and you have some high density zones land? They'll build a luxury condo. Have a ton of demand for low wealth housing? They'll build a huge dense housing block. Easy. I don't know why CS keeps wanting to over-complicate things while also producing worse gameplay, but that's CO for you.

yea, specifically zoning for Robert Mosesesque poor people towers instead of it being a balance of density and property value seems problematic. CO is so weird in how it filates poor US urban planning decisions.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder what the tallest all commercial building is. I've definitely seen up to at least 20 stories. 10-ish is pretty common in East Asia.

according to Guiness it's The ONE shopping mall in Hong Kong, 24 floors.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

It kinda seems like high density commercial isn't necessarily "tall", but "big"? They said movie theaters as an example, and also I'd assume malls, big box stores, the like. Stuff you wouldn't really see in a downtown area.

At least, I hope so, because if you've got to go into the teeth of downtown just to go to the movies, that's a bit silly.

this is a intensely American suburban perspective, in Asia and much of Europe all of these things are found "downtown" or at least in heavily urban areas. They won't have the same physical layout as a suburban big box store or movie theater, but very much a thing in large cities.

Could be interesting in the future if there is something like mixed us office or residential/entertainment which includes restaurants, bars, clubs, movie theaters, galleries etc so you can create bar or entertainment districts.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 11, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

I have a suspicion that things like movie theaters and hotels might also exist outside of cities in both europe and asia

of course they do, but they also exist in downtown urban areas.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Latest dev diary, looks like total CS2 map is 5 times bigger than the previous CS1 vanilla map, however about half the size of the CS1 map with 81 tiles mod.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
That's certainly a headline.

https://www.businessinsider.com/city-video-game-simulates-homelessness-layoffs-gen-z-broke-2023-8?amp

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MikeJF posted:

They're doing bottom-up emergent simulation, the macro simulation can only exist as a summation of improved and more detailed low-level elements combining together in statistically significant amounts.

I'm not sure if the phrase "bottom up emergent simulation" ever resulted in actual good game play.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I have to say, going complete sicko mode in C:S plopping every building and zooming around at eye level placing individual vending machines and trash cans and poo poo is the most fun I've ever had with the game. Playing it as a high level city simulator along the lines of SC4 was never that satisfying, but as a micro detail experience it's far superior. You just straight up can't do this with SC4's engine.

yup, I've been doing a hybrid of this. Going super detailed and plopping key districts and landmarks while the main fabric and infrastructure of the city is grown from the basic game mechanics.

Have the developers said anything more about improved mod support?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

buglord posted:

I think it would make for some interesting progression where you’re having to go back to your earlier, more neglected areas and bring them back up to speed and get the chalk outlines cleaned up and trees free of toilet paper.

I wonder if anyone made a rough-neighborhoods building pack in CS1.

I made trailer home neighborhoods out in the boonies and in the unwanted/undesirable spaces of my city.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
lol watching the City Planner Plays lets play of CS2, but one of the first thing mentioned is they don't have contour view?! Hope that's just something they haven't added yet to the release he had. There's no respecting the topography!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Two dollars twenty seems to like the game but he was really struggling with the trees taking years to fully grow. And that there was no way to change the ground textures or decals. I didn't see him use props either such is also a worry.

I'm going to give it a miss until I see more of that side, I'm not interested in the 'game', i just like making realistic looking cities so I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Yea, I don't know what CO thinks growing trees adds to the game play besides frustration.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mutata posted:

As long as Skylines 2 doesn't have buildings in it, then I'll be happy!

Think there are two populations of players for this game, the people who are interested in the "simulation" and the people who want to create a bonsai city with and much detail and visual realism as possible.

I'd argue that it's the second segment that's kept the modding scene and popularity of the game alive the past few years. Some of the decisions CO seems to artificially limit that freedom to create. Guess it's still going to be a mod heavy game.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Albino Squirrel posted:

God yes. If I start up a city there's always an industrial zone close to the old town - I'd love to be able to have a repurposed industrial area into lofts or shops or public buildings.

There's a mod that allows you to repurpose a building.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mrenda posted:

Plans to make a model city lasted about 90 minutes. I started with everything unlocked, and didn't realise the mod would also give me 715k cash. I went nuts. Then I didn't do any hand placing but just designed an interesting city. Then I realised I had no idea what I should be placing as my city grew (without thinking about it.) And it didn't seem like "a challenge." So I loaded a new map and am just playing normally again. I wonder if I'll get above 100k people this time? The map is definitely more constrained in how I can grow though. So maybe?

If CS2 really lets you make your own outside links it'll be great.

yea normal game play and "model" city or bonzai city play can be pretty different. You can try playing with the money limit on, this gives you a little breathing room to plan out your city.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

You can do that in 1, use the Unlimited Outside Connections mod.

Seems CO may have heard the complaints:

Contour lines in that screen. They have not actually said anything about it though.

excellent. Hope they release some info on mods, apparently there was a screenshot that showed some sort of CO Mod Support button on the main menu.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I don't care if they move mods to their own platform, just need to make it so that the mods don't keep breaking with every update or at least offer some kind of version lock.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Cygni posted:

The community is also VERY dependent on mods, and while CO did integrate the functionality of some of the mods, they didn't do all of them. Stuff like MoveIt and Anarchy. The upside is I imagine those mods will exist for CS2 like, 2 hours after it launches. If that. Assuming the new mod platform works?

Sounds like the new mod platform will no be operational on launch.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Yep, went ahead and canceled my order. Will purchase once I update my system or they push out a optimization fix.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
is that a screenshot from the game? why do we need to see faces on a city design game lol.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Does everyone build meticulous highly planned cities or is anyone like me where you just build chaotic ancient European clusterfucks with winding roads everywhere with building choice made purely reactively based on the current need for zoning/services?

Mixture. Plan out a larger infrastructure and district framework with a highly planed city center, then fill in the rest more organically based on whim and interesting assets.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Concurred posted:

This game wants me to worry about air pollution? This game wants me to worry about wind direction? This game wants me to build my residential zones upwind of industrial zones?

Like real life id take those requests more as suggestions!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’ve heard you choose the replace tool and drag the road in the opposite direction.

yea this, but its kinda clunky and click intensive.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Long Island New York? If you want the main city on the island that's probably going to be pretty rare, since you'd need some kind of reason for things to be on the less convenient mass. Hong Kong?

Port Aransas Texas is almost a pretty close fit. or probably some barrier island along the carolina coast.

Hong Kong's urban growth was heavily influenced by the geography (mountains) of the island, the barrier island map is pretty much flat.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 30, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

piratepilates posted:

Port Aransas seems similar to Galveston, which was another one I had in mind, but they both seem pretty.......un-dense, which works against what I want (maximum density).

Yea if your looking for density Port Aransas and Galvesont aren't it. Maybe Miami? Has some decently dense islands and peninsulas. Only other off the top of my head whose geography is similar to the barrier island map is Ocean City, slightly more dense than Port Aransas but not by much.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah, this game does some neat stuff and has some nice improvements over CS1, but it feels like it's less of a "game" than virtually any city builder I've played before. I have no idea what it's actually going for - an art tool for designing cities? A (currently-broken) hard simulation?

They've veered pretty far from the art tool / bonsai city feel, hopefully the mods will fix some of that. They have gone pretty far down the rabit hole for enhancing the simulation which is where a lot of the failures are coming from.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
New patch dropped:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...mWPa3ytLDYMcN5I

quote:

- Increased leisure probability to balance the "No customers" situation with commercial companies
- Improved balance of companies' profit
- Tuned down companies ordering input resources when their storage don't have enough space
- Fixed trade resource bug preventing some resources from being consumed
- Fixed miscalculation in college/university eligible count
- Improved conditions for companies to move away when bankrupt
- Fixed a dependency error with land value causing potential instability
- Fixed an issue where loading a new map would cause water state to get out of sync with the save data
- Slightly increased Windows emission intensity
- Optimizations for area lights
- Prefer rendering small objects after large ones when possible to improve GPU performances in some cases
- Improved shadow LOD calculations to cull irrelevant shadow casters earlier
- Reduced situations where trees and alpha clipped objects would lead to virtual texturing space running out
- Fixed citizens hanging around at park areas on regular building lots never getting inside the building
- Decreased resolution of unnecessary large character textures
- Removed Spasm radio ad (due to offensive content)
- Added missing localization ID for Paradox account linking

Looks like a lot of the noted simulations issues were addressed, will need to test if they work properly now. and lol at the offensive content on Spasm radio, isn't this your game?

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

piratepilates posted:

Ah I see you've met Cities: Skylines 1.

But, kinda. I mean C:S1 wasn't that great of a game, it just did one or two things well that people ended up really liking. It was never that strong of a game.

C:S2 takes those things, improves on them, has a more realistic scale, fleshes out the simulation underneath, etc.

It's just underbaked and without all the mods and DLC that people are used to the game having. I'm warming up to it, I think it's actually not bad, good even, but it's like an unfinished city toy instead of a game or in-depth comprehensive city simulator.
CS:1 had issues, but mods really saved them and made CS:1 have the longevity that it did. If mods are implemented in a horrible way for CS:2 that'll be the real nail in the coffin.