Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

am I the only one who will work on a city with full intentions of filling the entire map, get about 80,000 residents in, and decide that you can do better and start a new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

man how in the hell do you even import a heightmap? When I try in the map editor, I just get a yellowish bar with an X on it, no browser or way to choose anything

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

That dude Scotland Tom who made Powatan Creek and Tenasi River made a new map. Looks like gentler terrain than his other stuff but with a cool farmland look.

Doesn't look like it has any outside rail connections, how bad will that screw me?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

The description says it has outside rail connections. I haven't unlocked enough of the map yet to really see; what makes you say it doesn't have any?

The fact that even in the buy-more-tiles view there's none visible, nor have I seen any in the 9 or 10 tiles I've unlocked.

EDIT: NVM, finally found it. It's well-hidden and I'm a dolt.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 26, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Red_October_7000 posted:

Finally, how do you deal with people who complain of noise even after you've planted so many trees around their apartment block that it looks like Vietnam?

The way I deal with it is by not giving a poo poo :madmax:
Don't like it, move to the city next door and enjoy their poowater lake, shitbirds

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

someone mod this in plz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNixDlRoMvA

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

why the gently caress does the asset/interchange editor not work anymore. Clicking the roads icon does nothing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Anyone have any idea why the intersection editor appears to be completely broken for me? It wasn't working last month; I have since reformatted and reinstalled (for unrelated reasons) and done a full out reinstall. Even disabling all mods, you can click on this loving road until you're blue in the nuts and nothing ever happens.

gently caress you, little road icon

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

1. why do I suddenly have two trenches in my city that weren't there before
2. oh jesus how do I get rid of this

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

What mods you got? Some of those roads look overlapping which makes me think maybe it's a no-pillars disaster?

Several, including the no pillars mod, but all of the roads there are at-grade. Or they were before these magic trenches appeared anyway

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Do you have the new forked no pillars maintained by a new guy or the old one? The only way to get overlapping roads at grade like that is via no-pillars, as I understand, and I've heard the old version is now quite unstable with a lot of newer mods.

What happens if you just delete the trench road? Terrain might just pop back into place. If not, delete and terraform it back? Make sure none of the overlapped roads have been "infected" by the overlappyness, otherwise you can't zone them.

No clue which version, but disabling it and mousing around with the bulldozer tool let me actually "bulldoze" the trench (which it saw as a ridiculously long road). I see what you mean by overlapping...the nexus seemed to be at two 2-lane roads where I may have laid down road twice. Thanks!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm real glad CO added quantum parking to the game, makes traffic a lot less of a hassle now.

New Landmark Unlocked: Philadelphia Experiment

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Friction posted:

Mass Transit? Just have enough highways and you don't need such nonsense.

if the citizens of Bonerton Falls want to ride a zeppelin to work they will ride a goddamn zeppelin to work ok

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

If they can't catch fire then I probably won't ever use them. An efficient and safe city is a boring city.

if a flaming blimp lands in your poo crater, it'll put itself out, problem solved.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Finally, a chance to drown everyone attending a Morrissey concert in sewage

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Goredema posted:

Once your gravy waterfall is big enough, build some hotels around it. Could be a great honeymoon destination for newlyweds.

*clicks the Marina button like a man possessed*

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nope, it real. Have a flinstones.

so he's going 60mph in a car powered by his feet is what I'm taking away from this

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Fred Flintstone ist der übermench.

and how

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Anyways: Is the monorail just destined to be ignored by most cims for meme purposes (seems that way for real life monorails too) or have any of you managed to make their monorail be actually utilised?

I don't understand; I put them in my last three cities (Buttsville, Alex Jonestown, and North Buttston) and by golly it put them on the map

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I honestly remember nothing about it except the maximum city size was about three blocks and the water in pipes was agent simulated for some incomprehensible reason.

The sewage agents are just a thing that kind of breaks something in my brain. Hello gamers we saw you liked SimCity 4, well you're gonna LOVE the Turd Modelling we've implemeneted.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

what the gently caress do I gotta do to make these commercial zones happy anyway. Fuckin' sourpusses hovering at 54% while everyone else is happy as a clam

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

it's a little zen garden, like legos that produce dead bodies and garbage and lakes of rancid poo

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

is it just me or are freight hub airports completely unmanageable traffic-wise? Add a long spur freeway, eight lanes in either direction, all the way to it and the fucker still backs all the way up

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

There's also a fundamental disconnect between people who play the game to Make Number Go Up and minmax everything to absurdity and the people who try to build realistic cities.

What about those of us that build an ornate, enormous road, rail, and metro network filling the entire map before ever zoning a single thing and then when we do and it doesn't work great, start all over?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I gave up on official radio stations when one of them did nothing but throw Sad Viking Music at me, the gently caress are we doing

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

In unmodded CS you don't actually have to build any industry at all once you've unlocked offices, and indeed should demolish all your industry as soon as you do.

seven years. Seven years and I never knew this.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Yeah city simulators are prone to very long sale lifespans and often break all the rules about what the sale drop-off curve is meant to look like over years and years.

I pirated SimCity 4 at release, but wound up buying it no less than 3 times over the next 10 years

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

here's a 100k pop save file that you can use for benchmarking

https://download.gamestar.de/public/files/savegames/100k_Einwohner.zip

should go in C:\Users\[Benutzername]\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order\Cities: Skylines II\Saves\[Steam ID]

Ryzen 5 3600/16GB RAM and GTX 1650 Super/6GB VRAM here; after making the recommended changes here and leaving everything else on medium, it was a little sluggish, but quite playable. Only bad hitches were when you tried to zoom in way closer than I ever do anyway

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Does everyone build meticulous highly planned cities or is anyone like me where you just build chaotic ancient European clusterfucks with winding roads everywhere with building choice made purely reactively based on the current need for zoning/services?

I would play CS1 with unlimited money, buy all the tiles, pause the game, lay out all my roads, public tranport, utilities, etc. Only after the entire map was full of that, I would zone and then unpause. These are closer to zen gardens than games to me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

What's wrong with providing a free municipal swimming poo?

fixed

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

MikeC posted:

If you feel like cheesing it, don't build any garbage capacity at all. Garbage trucks will come from outside of town and collect it for you at no charge. I think they forgot the service fees for garbage.

can't wait for the return of the black hole for garbage mod

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

weird particular complaint: I really wish the displayed road length was still in those round units intead of meters. I had a little notebook with all the building measurements that made planning easier.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

why doesn't "snap to roads" actually seem to work with intersections anyway? It doesn't snap, it bends and wobbles around

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Half of my problem with this game is that I'm trying to do stuff the same way I did in the first, not realizing they changed poo poo to help me. It took me this long to realize I could overlay an intersection over existing roads instead of painstakingly measuring how far to go so that it would line up. A week.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

death cob for cutie posted:

lots of people do - it's short for "elevated". you see it called the "L" in official CTA documents, with quotes; a lot of people type "el" because it's clearer in context - especially if you're talking to someone from like, NYC, where the L train is a specific line.

the R, L, and N lines all stand for Rarely, Late, and Never :dadjoke:

Know what I miss from mods? multi-platform subway stations. Seems pretty basic to me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

the radio: "COMMERCIAL BUSINESS IS BOOMING!"
the RCI graph: "YOU NEED MORE COMMERCIAL!"
the commercial zones: "nobody wants to work :saddowns:"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

cim just getting so redfaced in their car that they off road it across their town which is just two roads at a 90 degree angle

the engine struggling to model the flying teeth and severed limbs as a frustrated cim plows through my playground

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

why, in a city of 20k with a few good subway lines, does no one ever take the drat subway? Usage is at 0 for both cims and tourists

EDIT: because all this time I had one misalignment where my subway went from above ground to underground, which was connected but the stupid game said it wasn't

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 1, 2024

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

when do the people start wanting more than low density residential and industrial, because goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I just want my multi-platform subway stations :( and for interchanges to snap to nodes instead of the janky rubber band poo poo they do now