Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Alkydere posted:

I love seeing all the pictures in this thread of people reinventing the wheel when it comes to highways. Overpasses and frontage roads exist for a reason!

It's probably a bit hard to see but adjacent to each side of the highway is a matching, normal 1-way road. These two lane roads have been handling traffic just fine, especially when mixed with U-turn lanes made out of on-ramps.

There's really no big traffic issues anywhere. Some of the on-ramps and U-turns are used pretty heavily, but there's none of the usual "backed up for miles" gridlock I normally get. Outside of the occasional "every single industrial building gets a shipment at once" issue that crops up now and then.
Well, yeah, that's a pretty good layout, but it's all (mostly?) low-density and you only have 7000 people. It's later when high-density buildings get put in that things usually go to poo poo.

In particular, those two really close underpass/frontage road intersections just below and to the left of the "Coleridge district" label are going to become a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bolow posted:

Ok is there a reason why all of the heavy industrial traffic absolutely refuses to use the middle overpass here

I've seen smaller traffic use it but all of the industrial vehicles moving left always go down to the original interchange and do a u-turn to come back and take the offramp to the industrial zone
This is just a guess, but maybe it has to do with road speed?

Try changing that middle off ramp from two lane one-way road to a highway ramp and see if trucks take it then.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bolow posted:

It's a two lane one-way in that picture. Like I've seen other smaller vehicles use it but the heavy semis absolutely refuse to go on it.
Right. What I'm saying is replace the road with a highway ramp (third icon in the fourth road tab).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mortimer posted:

hey here's this thing I talked about
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410574541

it's a dumb mod to enable easier gentrification of your rich folks while preventing those peasants across town from attending.

model is just the university :effort:
Will that actually work as intended?

It seems to me that the "radius" of schools is only used for land value calculations, the education effect is global -- that is, you can have all your schools in a corner of the map and everyone will still get educated.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RainbowCake posted:

So I've run into a problem.
Take a look at the struggling businesses and see what type of educated worker they want. Then make sure you have enough of that type of school.

Industry may complain for a while, but it usually goes away -- or you can bulldoze a few industry blocks and put up a few offices instead.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ofaloaf posted:

tbh I'd really like to be able to make a high-density-but-not-really-high-rise slum city.
Can't you (kind of?) do that if you zone high density and institute the No High Rise policy?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The way I understand it, there are different kinds of goods. The four specialized industries input raw resources and output their specialized good (e.g. forestry goods).

Then generic industry takes the four specialized goods as input and outputs generic "goods" which are used to stock commercial buildings. Office also output generic goods, but a very small amount.

Any input that's not available gets imported (i.e. raw resources for the specialties, any of the four specialization outputs for generic industry), and any output good that's not needed gets exported.

Don't forget if you choose the "Outside Connection" overlay you can see imports and exports.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, is it just me or are Office Zoning buildings too short?
Not just you. Now here's my similar question:

Anyone else feel that (from a gameplay , not necessarily real-life, perspective) you need to zone way more office space than "feels right"?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Christmas Present posted:

meanwhile I'm over here having grown up in eastern Kansas and 99% of our highway access points look like this

Yeah, those overpass exits work great for most of ... anywhere.

If anyone's interested, there are a bunch of those pre-made on the Workshop. They're called "Autobahn exits", so I guess it's not just a Midwest US thing either.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This looks interesting: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414469593&searchtext=

Despite the gibberish at the bottom, it shows you how many "service points" a building is currently getting -- or more to the point, lacking.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ModestMuse posted:

I'm with you on this. Last night I was driving on this and thinking what a boss-level frontage road it was.

Oh hey, I know that place, that's Carmel, IN.

And those marginal roads are pretty new, right? As in, they did a boatload of construction in that area and 10 years ago most of those roads didn't exist?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Asciana posted:

What services cover does general industry need to level up?
Someone on the modding forum posted this a while ago:

quote:

Here are the current factors applied to the service level that it checks against, there is a lot more math involved in figuring what is the actual number for each thing, but this should give you a rough estimate (and things to wonder about).

Positives:
1/3 Public Transport
1/5 Police Coverage
1/5 Health Care
1/5 Death Care
1/2 Fire Coverage
1/8 Entertainment
1/8 Elementary
1/8 High School
1/8 University
1 Cargo Transport

Negatives:
-1/7 Noise Pollution
-1/7 Abandonment
-1/6 Pollution

Source: I was looking around for what was and wasn't currently moddable and found the upgrade check code.

I assume those numbers are fractions of a "level point".

edit: maybe not, since they don't add up to quite 3.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2015

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

am I the only one who will work on a city with full intentions of filling the entire map, get about 80,000 residents in, and decide that you can do better and start a new one?
Kind of. When I hit the 70-90K mark it usually feels like it's "complete" and adding anything more feels more like duplication than addition.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Baronjutter, off the top of my head, try adding more generic industry. I may be wrong, but I don't think specialized industry can supply commercial goods. That should at least help/solve the commercial problem.

Plus everyone in your city is high.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Eifert Posting posted:

Where do y'all set your taxes early on?
14. After a while, they'll start complaining and I set them to 13. Sometime later (usually around 25K pop?) they'll complain and if you set them to 12 you can generally ride that up to at least 90K.

Each type complains separately. Seems like residential is usually first.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Zombie #246 posted:

Also how to you raise or lower roads?
Use page up/page down while building the road.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

mr. nobody posted:

I would like to ask the same question but differently from you, how do you color your bus lines? I have a small city with a bunch of blue bus routes and it's confusing and I would love to know how to make them colored differently.
Select the public transport overlay from the upper left button (while you don't have a transport tool active). Click on a line, and the info box that pops up has a "change color" box.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Subyng posted:

Lane control and traffic light control is REALLY needed.
There's a traffic light toggle mod that helps a lot. Not really timing control, but it lets you turn off all the traffic lights for an intersection.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

GrossMurpel posted:

Any idea what I can do in the eastern (residential) area? It's mostly commuting to work and shopping that's the problem there, I think.
Start with taking the three N-S four-lane roads and only making one of them intersect the busy E-W road (make it like a trident a few buildings before the E-W road). You have too many intersections on that E-W road.

Then upgrade all the 4-lane roads to 6-lane. They're the same width and handle intersections slightly better.

Regarding the west side, that's a lot of industry. Industry needs to go to other industry (specialized -> generic), commercial, and out of town. Your little red curly-Q north highway entrance ramp is probably almost all goods leaving your city -- if you put a highway exit on the west side (like near where your road crosses over top of the highway) a lot of that traffic won't go "through town".

edit: also in my opinion, just because the road shows red doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. If it's red with no backups, seems ok to me.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 5, 2015

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Captain Mediocre posted:

What can I do to fix the mess? Or rather, how should I have built things differently to avoid this problem?
In planning their route, cars consider only travel time. Larger streets have a higher speed limit, so they'll pick a 6-lane over a 2-lane if the distance is roughly equal. That's one of the reasons everyone is taking that six-lane in the middle of your town -- give them some options, keeping in mind that travel time is the key, total distance can be longer if the speed is higher. One thing that'll help is if you make all the outside roads a six-lane loop. Won't help so much immediately, but in the medium term you'll notice a difference. (Personally I find the size of the Moore Park square is roughly the maximum size I put between six-lane roads, usually).

Also, try something like this: look at your map and consider the routes your garbage trucks will take (I assume that's the dump just to the right of the business district label).There's no way a garbage truck can go south of the freeway exit without looping north and then going through the central red road. That's a problem.

It's not really a problem with only a few thousand people, but you're also ignoring the "tree" idea -- your traffic goes from highway to 2-lane to six-lane, instead of highway, 6, 2. That'll be a problem later.

The one-way roads in the industrial section aren't helping you much. In that size of a block there's not enough traffic to warrant it, imo. Plus I don't think 2-lane to 2-lane road intersections create a traffic light.

One more thing, consider where people actually go. There's not going to be a lot of traffic going from, say, Poplar Park to Moore Park (assuming those are both residential-mostly/only), but there will be a lot of traffic going from Moore Park to your industrial section.

And lastly, like Blimpkin mentioned, the best thing I've done to help me make better functioning cities is try as best as possible to shrug off the idea that Every Square Has To Be Productive. Tough to do, especially if you played a lot of SC4.

Oh, frontage roads, or marginal roads, are just roads that run parallel to a highway with (usually) limited highway access -- i.e. not every block or two. They serve to shunt traffic congestion off the highway ramps (which there would be more of if the frontage roads weren't there).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Captain Mediocre posted:

Do you mean a one-way 6-lane circle, or a 3-lane/3-lane bidirectional road?
Bi-directional should be fine, they can handle a lot of traffic as long as your intersection spacing is reasonable.

quote:

Is there any good metric to judge how regularly to attach connections to these without clogging the thing up with intersections?
Personally I try to keep the first intersection at least, oh, 12-16 zoning squares away from major intersections. The rest I just watch and see what happens.

And if you make roundabouts, make them out of highway pieces -- then they won't produce traffic lights like 6-lane roads will.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

GrossMurpel posted:

What do offices mean when they say this?
Usually it just means "wait".

There's an Extended Building Info (or something like that) mod out there that seems to show that buildings do two things to level up:

1) They have to wait for education (called wealth for commercial) to build up -- an education/wealth progress bar starts at zero when a building levels up, and it has to fill (which takes time) before going to step 2 and leveling up again.

2) Once the education/wealth value is met, then it looks at land value. If enough points are provided by nearby services, the building levels up.

That's what it looks like, anyway.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

WarLocke posted:

I think I'm in love with this thing. Normally I'm not a fan of ramps on the inside of roundabouts but with the way the traffic AI works in Cities I think it would really work well.

Now I just need to find a workshop premade ploppable version because I suuuuck at setting these things up. :negative:

I just noticed the guy screwed up the one-way onto the roundabout at the bottom, too.

e: video of it in action
It'll work (assuming the directions of the bottom roads are reversed) but going N-W or S-E a car would be on the roundabout for about 340 degrees.

It's not quite the same, but this is my go-to highway/6-lane intersection: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413214432&searchtext=Intersection+To+6. Works like a charm and is fairly compact. But I usually have raised highways.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Eiba posted:

Fun little fact I just found out, you can't! If anywhere gets education, then everywhere gets education..
True, but what you can do is just not build enough schools for all the eligible students. That'll give you an uneducated buffer that in my experience helps things run more smoothly. At the cost of not having all your buildings at max level.

Really to me it seems that you can do pretty much whatever until all your stuff is unlocked, but I seem to find that at about 100-115K pop no matter what I do the residential demand just goes away.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That's a nice map (I got a city to 120K on it), but in case you're unaware the extreme SW peninsula's corner (where it says El Laguito on the real map) isn't part of the 25-tile grid.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Redkist posted:

That looks like you actually have a lot of traffic.

This is my current city; already have a traffic problem I'm having trouble solving.
Picture a vehicle coming north on the highway fron the bottom left corner. They want to get to where the Shaolin label is. Think about their path.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cephalocidal posted:

Fun fact: There are parts of Chicago that actually work like this (minus the hearses) but they don't even need to surface most places. Lots of industrial buildings downtown have direct basement access for waste disposal onto the under-roads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_utilidor_system

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Modest Mao posted:

I'd be excited to see what ya'll make out of my map. Post some screenshots later.
Since we're talking about water anyway, I'm not sure if this is on purpose or not, but your map the starting square has very little water flow. So little that if you drop a water pump (source) almost anywhere it'll pretty much suck in the pollution from your sewer pipe no matter where the sewer pipe is on the shore.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MisterBibs posted:

How enjoyable is this game if you're not really strongly into Traffic Spergness?
If you install the Traffic Light Toggle mod, you can turn off traffic lights at all major intersections and, for the most part, just ignore traffic (you'll still need to be a little careful with train station placement and find a good highway exit ploppable). Then it's basically a paint your own city kind of thing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

BigRed0427 posted:

I just figured out that when it comes to planning a city, especially road layout, I have no imagination. :( I just go with square or rectangle shaped blocks.
Another thing to try as an intermediate non-grid step is, make some fairly large sections (Say, maybe ... 50-60 squares large) by plopping down six-lane roads that are crooked/curved/diagonal/follow the terrain/whatever, then fill them in later with grid-ish 2 lane roads.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In particular, you need more population than the schools you have can handle.

Or build fewer offices.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If I had to pick only one mod to install, it'd be Traffic light toggle. That's the only thing I've ever felt I've needed to handle traffic problems.

Having a "go-to" small roundabout and highway-to-6-lane interchange asset will save a lot of time, too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sure, no problem with me. I personally think the traffic light toggle (and maybe arguably infinite resources) is more of a fix than an enhancement, but that's just me.

Now that I think of it, though, I haven't looked at mods for a while and the one I always wanted was a mod that just doubled the number of jobs office buildings supply. That's it, just offices. Does that exist?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dred_furst posted:

What do people think?
I think for people who don't enjoy hand drawing highway intersections, that looks like it's just a cloverleaf with a T intersection a little bit down one leg.

As far as the actual monster,

The very highest segment in the bottom picture (going from the E highway to the SW one) is probably redundant since you can still get there on that same ramp. And all of your exits are on the right-hand side except for one -- not sure the judges can give any style points for that.

And I'm not sure why the southbound lanes of the highway coming from the north juke over to the east for a bit, crossing the northbound lanes. I would guess it's a pylon thing.

Otoh, most of your curves look fairly smooth, so you've got me beat.

Edit: all directions based on the last picture.

Fake edit 2: I can't see a way to go from the top west highway to the SE highway southbound. I.e. From 9 o clock to 5 o clock.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 22, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thread title is still accurate.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Try moving the stop from C to D first, and then adding a new stop at C?

edit: wait, sounds like that's what you're doing. If it helps, to add the new stop at C I usually click a bit "before" the C station then drag the new dot into place.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you hover over a building's "level" bar, it'll tell you what's holding up advancement. For residences this is usually (always?) either "educate more people" or "cover with more services". The first one is self-explanatory (it takes quite a while for education to "filter" through your pop), the second one you can either guess, check all your services, or install a mod called Extended Building Information which will show you the real numbers for the building's influence by fire, police, health, etc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The tree brush mod I have, you use the numpad + and - keys to make the area it fills larger or smaller, then just paint like normal. (Right-click-drag to erase trees).

e: to clarify, pick tree from park menu, use + and - to set size of brush, click-drag to paint.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 29, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Metrication posted:

Simcity 3000 had petitioners, different interest groups that came and requested stuff from you (I can't remember if these were just the regular city ordinances). Perhaps something based around that would work? Decision X helps one group but impacts another in a negative way.
Idea only works if you have Penultimo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Your nemesis in this game is the intersection. Almost every intersection creates stop lights - two exceptions are those made of two 2-lane roads, and those involving a highway ramp.

Minimize intersections and minimize the path industry needs to the "outside" and things should go fairly smoothly until you hit 30000 to 35000 pop.