Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man am I torn on those RoR banners.

I've been dying for a Butterfly Sword for Zidane since the IX event I blew way too much mythril on didn't even give me a single 5*, getting Cypress Pile or Golem's Flute would be pretty alright too so banner 3 looks really attractive.

On the other hand banner 4 has that Lullaby Rod on it and goddamn would I love to have that for Yuna.

So the dilemma is: do I draw on the IX stuff when I can grab a free Butterfly Sword later from the beginner pull or do I pull for the small chance of that Lullaby Rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The Magistral Rod would be a decent free pull if I can't get my hands on a Lullaby Rod since basically anything is better than Yuna's default SB. So I suppose the smart idea would be to pull for that Lullaby Rod and hope for the best.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm not entirely sure how I'll go about abusing the festivities for levels but I imagine getting my main squad to 50 is a good starting point. Getting the various cores to 50 for those refresh RMs is high priority too.

Beyond that? I have no clue where I should focus my EXP efforts.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Well this beginner banner hosed me royally. I pulled on it as soon as I saw it since I knew I wanted a Butterfly Sword really badly.

Then find out after that 50 mythril has been blown that the list has been changed.

So now I'm on 15 mythril and need to somehow find a way to balance event farming and mythril stockpiling for later banners. As for what to pull from the free list... I'm leaning mainly towards the Storm Staff. The Valkyrie could be cool but I already have a Rising Sun for Rinoa. None of the rest particularly seem great for what I'm looking for.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

You can sit on the freebie after you've spent the 50 mythril on the 11 pull. I'm doing so right now since I immediately pulled without knowing the item list was changed for the US and I'm unsure what I wanna grab.

Sigh.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I ended up finally going with the Storm Staff on my pick. My only other 5* mage weapon is Rinoa's Rising Sun, which has very limited use. Apparently Ramuh is not that great a SB but it's better than nothing!

I'm mostly happy with the choice though there's always going to be that haunting "but what if" thought over the Ras Algethi. Haven't had plans to use any characters that would make much use of it but I feel like I'm gonna kick myself hard for not getting an easy 5* gun when I had the chance. I guess time will tell!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'd saved up 50 Mythril for banner 4 of the SSB Fest and the results were... interesting.

Got only two 5*s out of the deal. The first was a Viking's Coat which is cool since 5* armor is always nice to have around. The second was... a Gold Barrette. The odds of getting something not even on the banner are low and I get a character relic on those odds. It's not Lunatic High so it's at least somewhat a disappointment but having a relic for Red XIII at all is a pretty kickass boon so I'll call it a win. Was hoping for a Rune Axe or Lullaby Rod but I'll take this weirdass curveball.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Getting the freebie New Year's gun was a fun taste of irony.

Oh hey a gun, I can use that on a number of characters. Oh hey, Balthier would be good in my party. I totally.... picked up a Storm Staff from the beginner's pull.

Welp.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Welp. My obligatory 100 gem pull gave me a Warrior's Bracer. I now have the poor man's trifecta: Warrior's Bracer (Protectga), Dragon Armlet (Shellga), and Mystery Veil (Medica). Maybe some day I'll get real walls and heals but I'm set for now at least.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

The Mattybee posted:

"Man, I don't even know what the point is of the common draw. It's not like anyone ever gets anything good from them...

gently caress it. It's not like I have anything to lose."

:staredog: Well, I did need FF8 synergy...

Congratulations on your Selphie Stick.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

What's even the point of the breaks now when it seems most bosses resist them now.

Valle posted:

Well...doesn't resisted just mean the effect is lessened, not nullified? Some effect sure beats no effect!

It's this. When breaks are resisted it reduces the debuff power but the break still applies.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

widespread posted:

So uh... yeah, I should focus on Cindy first, right? Because Raise is getting absurdly annoying.

Also I think I need to hop out, then hop back in to try for either an SG or SS2 RW. Doubt just Protectga/Shellga would cut it.

The sisters are all vulnerable to Sleep, so if you have the patience for a bit of resetting to get the desired outcome you can throw Lullaby on Rikku and try to get Sleep to stick and Mindy and Sandy and then Advantaliate away on Cindy. You can basically pick them off one by one without much of a fight against you. It takes quite a bit of resetting to get RNG in your favor though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Hell yeah! After quite a lot of S/Ls, Ultimate Yunalesca is down. This is the first time I've knocked out current hardest content so I'm pretty stoked. Got a cool accessory and some major orbs out of it too.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

So I'm going along doing some dungeons and remember I haven't done my daily free pull yet. Whatever, let's get some free upgrade fod--

:stare:

It's just a Betrayal Sword, which has kind of a meh shared SB but it's a 5* VIII sword so hell yeah. DeNa throws me a bone every now and then. :unsmith:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

From what I've heard, Gau will finally be getting his MC1 and a bonus MC2. So he'll finally be not trash tier. :toot:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

So Retaliate strikes also procs his counter? I was under the impression that Retaliate went around those sort of things since Yunalesca definitely didn't trigger her various counters off of Retaliate hits.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I used all my luck for awhile on that daily 5* pull. I'll be back here stockpiling mythril for the Yuffie and Beatrix banners.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Subvisual Haze posted:

Oh wow, I think I'm in love with Golbez. Sure his magic stat is a little lower than some other black mages, but he can take hits! This is so much better than Vivi keeling over after two trash mobs in a row sneeze on him.

And Rosa not being able to use Rods just made me realize how few staves I have. Unless I luck into her relic I doubt she'll be getting much use.

I want to use Golbez so bad but I don't have a good mage weapon he can use. My best stat stick is a Storm Staff and Golbez can't wield staves. :negative:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

What I did was Advantaliate her along with popping Memento of Prayer (Party Regen) after every Hellbiter to get rid of Sap and bypass the threat of Holy entirely. Her Ultimate version only has a 5% chance of using Mega Death so the benefit of not worrying about Holy nukes far outweighs the risk of that coming out.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Absolutely do not use Carbuncle. Yunalesca absorbs Holy.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It's a stretch I think but Yugiri is also a possibility as a battle ready character.

I'm betting on another Scion though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

PJOmega posted:

On Yunalesca:

when I bring carbuncle she casts Holy once or twice and I die from lack of healing. When I leave carbuncle behind she spams holy faster than my hasted healer and I die from holy hitting casters for 4k+ through shell.

What are the RMs to start with 1 bar of super? I need Stoneskin up and running.

Is this Ultimate Yunalesca? If so I'll continue to recommend just bring a party-wide regen (Kirin or Memento of Prayer) and removing Sap after every Hellbiter so you just never have to deal with Holy since Mega Death is only a 5% chance of happening.

If it's just Elite Yunalesca I don't have as much practical advice.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Sprite141 posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got redxiii's silver barret from the daily draw. I guess I can use him as a mage now? Though he's my first character with two seperate sb items, with trine as a heavy thunder aoe and lunatic howl for hastega he's more than just support access now. Maybe I can use him for full break and elemental weaknesses and not do poo poo damage.

Wait does this mean I have my first ffvii mage item and only the 3* access not mage support guy can use it? Well at least I can core augment a magus on him when that update hits.

Red XIII Bros~ :hfive:

I got the Gold Barrette from a SSB Fest banner (a non featured relic is like less than 1% chance of happening, whee) and it instantly rocketed him to MVP status for me. Howling Moon is certainly no Lunatic High but it's being really helpful in a pinch. Mainly, just having a thing for Red at all makes him an amazing support character. I'm a little jealous of your Silver Barrette though because Trine has the coolest drat animation ever.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Despite my insistence that I'm gonna stockpile mythril for the Yuffie and Beatrix banners I couldn't help but throw 10 mythril at this latest IV banner in a small desperation bid for the Ebon Armor.

It didn't happen. Welp, c'est la vie.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Lifesiphon is a damage ability that builds up a large amount of SB Gauge per use.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It must be nice to have good SBs, my "best" is Angel Wing Quake which is a crappy element and is a very meh damage 2-hit. It's literally my only damaging unique SB. :negative:

Here's hoping I have luck with my future 11 pulls on Yuffie banner.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

:smuggo: About time I got some luck with character relics.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm at this decision of whether or not to attempt the IV boss rush right now. It will almost certainly cost me 1~2 mythril because I severely doubt I have the hones to do it all in one go. I'm not entirely sure it's worth it for a free copy of Shadowsteel and some orbs when I'm trying to stockpile mythril for the Yuffie and Beatrix events. I almost certainly wont be able to do the rest of the bonus battles because I have basically zero IV synergy gear.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

FeralWraith posted:

Before you entirely give up, let me ask this:

- What are your highest character levels (overall and in FF4)?
- Do you have Shellga and a decently honed heal (rank 3 or up)?
- What breaks/breakdowns do you have?

Basically what I'm going for is that if you have the capability to put up something of a defense, you can try to advantaliate it (retaliate hones don't cost too much). That does require an Advance RW. Also, will probably cost you a mythril if you can't take White Dragon down without the RW.

I'd say it's worth attempting the boss rush and the ++ Odin fight just so you can try to get Decil's MC2, because that's the only thing that you would be forced to wait for to pop up again. Orbs can be farmed, gear can be gotten through gacha, whether it's 3*/4*/5*. But characters and crystals are the big pain in the rear end.

Well I ended up going for it and it did indeed end up costing me 2 mythril. Didn't even get Mastery. :negative:

To answer your questions anyways though:
- Highest overall is around 54, most of the characters I regularly use are 50~55. For FF4 I haven't used much of anyone other than Pencil sitting around mid-40's somewhere.
- I have 8 casts of Curaga and both Protega/Shellga in various forms (mainly Bard songs and Shared SB relics).
- I have Armor/Mental/Magic Breakdown and Steal Power, all unhoned at R1.

I did Advantaliate the bosses to get past them, I'm attempting Odin now and may need to do the same for him because my damage output isn't nearly as high as I need it to be, but I think doing Advantaliate will be very possible to at minimum clear for the MC2.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Immediate Doom Counter at the start of the fight is a trend among all the eidolon fights from FFXIII. Please look forward to the boss rush where it's 3 Doom Counter fights.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm now 2/2 on drawing character relics off my 100 gem pulls for this event.

What the legit gently caress.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm not super versed on the hard numbers but I think the general idea on that RM is it's useful for clearing low difficulty trash stuff you don't care about but is largely outclassed by damage up RMs for high level content.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Barthandelass strikes again.

He was a giant dickwad in his original game and continues to be a giant dickwad here.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I guess I need to make a decision on which banner I'm pulling sooner than I figured. What a horrible dilemma.

Banner 1 is the better banner but Yuffie's shuriken is yet another earth elemental. Banner 2 is lovely as hell but Wutai Headband has kind of a batshit good medica on it. Either way I wanna use Yuffie so I'm praying hard to get a thing whichever I decide to pull.

Curse you Record Keeper for making me have horrible decisions.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm pulling on something regardless because Yuffie falls under the "characters I really like and want to use" clause.

...and I'm somehow in the 1% that could actually use VII synergy. Will likely pull on banner 1 since it's considerably better unless my 100 gem pull luck continues to be silly.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Alxprit posted:

Anybody got any good pulls? I did 100 gems and got nothing, but I'm considering a three-pull at least for the chance at some of the good stuff on this banner. Two rods, two thrown, a 5* dagger in general... though I already have pretty solid FF7 synergy, I feel like there's enough here that doesn't overlap with what I already have that it'd be worth it.

Kinda weird that the rod on this banner boosts Holy damage though. I mean, it's not a staff disguised as a rod at all (despite having staff in its name), so what gives?

My 11 pull gave me the Al Bhed Jumper (X) and Defense Veil (X). I was suitably irritated at that kind of draw luck and ended up doing a 3 pull of desperation, which hardly ever work out.

Got a 4-Point Shuriken out of it, which is the precise thing I wanted. :toot:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

It also has 120 atk which I think is the highest on a non-combined relic we've seen yet.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I contemplated switching my RW to my shiny new Landscaper but I think it's largely outshined by the other options available for the situation.

I still love it though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Schwartzcough posted:

FFT isn't the only great banner coming up, though- there'll be five SSSB banner with a ton of SSBs and other great character-specific items (no dud generic 5*s). We might get a couple Lucky Draw banners too.

I'm probably in a minority on this opinion, but the Penelo banners coming in a few weeks are pretty good too if only because the first one has an ever coveted medica on it. It's even a pretty decent medica too, with a party wide ATK buff attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Looking forward to the Beatrix banners. Another shot at a medica on banner 2 and banner 1 has some good physical coverage. Also there's a hat with +fire on it for your spellblade shenanigans.

• Locked thread