Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Out There is nowhere close to FTL. It's more frustrating and less rewarding. Maybe their supposedly free update to Out There Omega will fix things but I doubt it.

It's very atmospheric though.

Yeah I got it with surveybucks based off of the many goon recommendations, and then found it to be a shallow and pointless RNG-based thing lacking any kind of meaningful choices. The only winning strategy seems to be 'get lucky'. Haven't touched it in months and months. If they do improve it and add some actual way to influence whether you win or lose, it would be a decent game. As it stands though it's just a pretty interface surrounding a non-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Google surveys have really been going all out on the 'where have you been recently' surveys. And I've been basically nowhere lately, so it's all been selecting none of the above and getting 10 or 20 cents for it. Thanks, Google.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

Any particularly good blog(s)? I don't see one in the op.

I get that the philosophy of Android is open source and indie development, but it'd be nice if there was some curating of games. Less Steam Green light, more GOG would be nice

The Play Store curating doesn't even extend as far as having an option for 'only show me games in my language'. They've got a loooong way to go before it will be remotely useful. In the mean time, I pretty much wait for goons to mention games in this thread or occasionally hold my nose and dip in to reddit to see if anything is generating buzz.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games › Android Gaming: No there's still not a good city builder or Civ-like

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

Regarding the lack of Civ games on Android: is it worth mentioning Freeciv?

Unless you're really familiar with Civ 2, it's got quite a learning curve and little to no tutorial to speak of. And considering that game is almost 20 years old at this point, it's entirely possible that a lot of people won't have any clue how to play. Plus general UI clunkiness and, let's be honest, graphics so old school that they impact playability, especially on a smaller screen. Not a lot of points in its favor. That said, if you are already familiar with it, it's certainly playable. Just... not great.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I thought I would jump on the Pocket Miner 2 hype train, until I got past the tutorial and found out the levels auto-scroll and you get a game over for going off the top. Too bad, it looks fun, but I just can't play mobile games that can't be dropped and ignored at a moment's notice. Got to pretend to work while I'm playing games, after all.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Angrymog posted:

I downloaded crazy-cat-lady sim that Kotaku posted about here: http://kotaku.com/the-japanese-cat-game-we-can-t-stop-playing-1701250319

It's not really a game-game, but it is ridiculously cute.

This cat game is nice. True, there's not a lot of game to it. You buy toys, eventually cats show up and play with the toys, then later they leave and you get some fish currency to buy more toys. But there's something very chill about it. It's an idle sort of game that doesn't punish you for not checking it obsessively every 30 minutes.

Link is here if anyone else wants to chill with Japanese cats. Not knowing the language hasn't been a problem, since the tutorial handholds you through the basics and you can work most everything else out by the icons.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

psylent posted:

Aside from the fact that it's Fallout themed the game itself is boring as poo poo, but if you're into that kind of thing you'll probably enjoy it for a while.

Considering the number of people here who ate up Tiny Tower and Tiny Death Star and Tiny Tower Vegas, I'm sure there are plenty of goons excited at the prospect of another game with no gameplay where nothing happens. As long as it has timers I can check every few hours. :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

New Leaf posted:

This game is fun and adorable and addicting: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spryfox.alphabear&hl=en

It's called Alphabear. It's a word game- you have these bears and they grow if you use a letter adjacent to them. You're trying to get the biggest bears you can. Then you collect bears to use in new maps to give you bonus points.

Oh nice, a new app from the triple town devs. I look forward to it eating my life.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Locke Dunnegan posted:

"Menses" isn't accepted either. :colbert:

Edit: in Alphabear I mean.

That's weird, I figured they were just using the scrabble dictionary, since that seems to be what every 'make words out of these letters' game does. :shrug:

If you've got those letters, you could always try 'semen' instead. :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

precision posted:

gently caress, I'm on Chapter 3. Is there a way to know when you've gotten all bears from a zone?

I wouldn't mind starting over, I guess. It's not like I've paid for Infinite Honey yet. (I was just about to :v: )

According to this you can't go back, but apparently if you get to the end of the game you get some sort of chance to pick up bears you missed. Seems like a pretty clunky system, honestly. Outside of the basic scrabble gameplay, the only metagame they've got is bear collection. You'd think they'd want to make it obvious which bears are in which chapters and try to encourage a pokemon catch 'em all desire so players want to buy honey/coins to try to pick up missing bears.

Their whole monetization scheme is a little shoddy anyway. Two different IAP tokens, and neither is very well explained. I didn't really know what they were for until the first time I ran out. At least they tend to give you lots of optional commercials to watch ignore so you can pick up extra honey.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oh wait, I have one, my link to SA. :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Dragon Blaze has some of the most annoying advertising I've ever seen, but I don't generally play this type of game. Repeated suggestions to buy $50-$100 bundles of digital nonsense is really starting to irritate me. I'm not above paying $5+ on a game I genuinely enjoy, but if you ever see me spend $100, chop my loving hands off.

Pretty much par for the course for gacha games. Log in, close the limited time offer to buy 1000 magic gems for the special price of 99.99, then play game. It's idiotic, but they wouldn't do it if it didn't hook in some stupid whales.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

We made a small game. Mobile gaming is fascinating, and we wanted to take part in it. What better way to dive right in?

Chess Hack is now on beta in Google Play. Beta version is ad free and has all the achievements available. It's still missing some buttons on the main screen but other than that, it's a complete experience. Join the beta: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.kakku.chesshack

Chess Hack is a combination of chess and roguelike dungeon crawling. Get to the bottom of dungeon and capture the opponents king to win. There's three game modes which play quite differently, and going for achievements can change the experience rather significantly.

We used Unity to build the game. It let us create a web version (which unfortunately ceased to work on Chrome) and get preliminary feedback. It also made testing easier. We went for an early prototype to see if the game was fun at all. I was responsible for setting the level paratemers. While I think the core concept was solid, I accidentally made the game much too hard. Now it should be pretty well balanced for a fun experience on each difficulty level and game type. The early feedback made us add a couple navigational helps.

For graphics and sound we wanted a clear, consistent style. For the next project this part needs to be planned out much more clearly. Even simple 2d takes a lot of time if you want it to look halfway decent. UI worked surprisingly well for a touch device, even on a smaller phone screen. Pinch zooming helps quite a bit.

I'd be happy to answer questions about developing the game. You're also welcome to follow us on Facebook; we're about to start the next game project soon. And of course all feedback is welcome.

Bonus screenshot:

This looks neat, but the link after joining the beta isn't working to actually download the game. Are you just stealing my personal information to sell to Russian hackers? Because if so, I want a cut.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

That's odd, it worked for me and we've had a bunch of people install the game thus far. Try this link if you've joined already: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kakku.chesshack

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll dig deeper into it.

This link did work, thanks. I'm also getting the choppy scrolling issues, on a nexus 6. Looks neat otherwise though, although I don't have much time to mess with it right now since I should be working.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Re Chesshack, after tooling around with it a bit I have to echo some of the complaints here that it seems like there's just not much strategy to it. It's a lot of walking back and forth in front of hallways waiting for the AI to randomly jump out of your way. Maybe the levels just shouldn't have those 1 tile wide hallways at all? That might make it too easy though, I'm not sure. I like the idea, though, I just feel like it's not quite being put into a format where it shines here.

Also I don't really see why it needs to be forced into landscape mode. There's nothing about the map or the UI that wouldn't work fine in portrait mode, and it's just more convenient to use one hand.

And a minor quibble, hitting the back button from the main menu should exit the game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The Duggler posted:

Fallout shelter is pretty bad

It's built like an semi-idle game but if I don't open it every 5 minutes I'm out of food and water and my power is running out

I am kind of confused by what they're going for here. Is it an idle game or not? If it runs in the background all the time, but all your resources run out if you're not babysitting it... I mean how does that even work?

Also the UI is a little clunky and I don't know who thought that tapping tiny people and dragging them from room to room was the best way to handle assignments, when there's a perfectly good menu listing people and it would be much easier to just have a 'reassign' button there, and then tap the room you want them in.

And I'm kind of miffed that the game waited until I'd built a few rooms before telling me 'oh by the way if you build two of the same type of room together they link up into one big room'. Which, as far as I can tell, is superior in every way to building separate rooms, because they upgrade together instead of having to upgrade each on their own. And of course there's no way to rearrange rooms once you've built them (or I haven't found it yet).

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Been playing some of that Dragon Heroes game mentioned a few pages back. The shooting is good, and I appreciate that I can set it on auto play and let it grind for me, even if it's obviously intentionally a bit stupid and won't be able to play harder levels.

But I'm disappointed to find that it has a mechanic I hate, having to max level and enhance a character before you can then use them as fodder to rank up another character. While technically it's all the same grinding, I just find it annoying to have to put a lot of time and effort and resources into a character that I am just going to essentially delete so that I can make another one stronger. I don't know why games do this, but it's usually enough to make me uninstall whenever I come across it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I had to pump the Fighter one up to like 13 to make the floor 700 boss doable, but that was it.

Also, gently caress all this christmas themed equipment they added. It's all ugly and terrible and gets in the way of actually good equipment dropping.

Eventually at the 'end game' such as it is, you get to the point where you're just pumping up your dark mage relic, because they get a single target magic damage spell that will basically one shot anything outside bosses and any physical damage ability doesn't scale nearly as well. End game farming is just 4 of those, plus a knight to prevent ambushes, and then going afk for hours.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

I'm new to the game, but I'm digging the carol bells item. Easy to get, and easy to slap on 4/5 of your dudes to farm up gold.

Yeah, these are actually the best gold farming weapon that's been added, as far as I know. Also there's apparently some kind of golden coal rare drop that's the most +magic damage you can get on a hand-held item. Haven't seen one myself, though.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

El Disco posted:

Also they go away, like all non-fighters do, when you hit the level 700 boss. Even in the Warrior's Dimension.

Past a certain point, it becomes possible to one-round the 700 boss before he can cast his kill-all-non-fighters spell. But this will be a moot point soon, since apparently the next update is going to take that ability away from him once you reach the warrior dimension end game endless dungeon. Which is good, because I'm tired of having to babysit a team of fighters through every new X691-X700 level range when otherwise my four dark mages and a knight can basically fight endlessly.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

Soda dungeon question: Is there some trick to getting darkmages to use their single target spell? When I set autobattle they use their aoe any time there's 3 or more targets. I get much more longevity out of using thieves.

No, your only option at this point is basically to keep grinding and pumping relics into darkmages, as well as the attack power, extra magic damage, and extra MP (because this also affects magic damage for some reason) relics. Eventually you get to the point where the AoE spell will one or two shot everything anyway, so it doesn't matter.

DoubleT2172 posted:

I have made it to 3100 in soda dungeon on the warrior dimension, any point on going higher? Like are there better items or anything past this or have I finished all content

Pretty much, for now, although there is still more content coming apparently. Once you get over like 1.5 billion gold you start getting 'mystic caps' instead of gold, which are going to be used for something else in future updates (although they're useless at the moment). So you can grind up a bunch of caps now, or just put it aside and come back later and grind them up when they actually have a use.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

uPen posted:

Big crits or darkmages are all that really work in my experience. Letting anything survive turn 1 that isn't confused is usually a wipe.

e: Unless you've got high evasion I guess? If you could get that high enough that it's semi-reliable that could give you some breathing room.

Yeah this. The game doesn't exactly have a complex combat system. If you want to get more damage your only options are going to be increasing your crit damage and making sure you crit all the time, or getting all darkmages and blasting everything with magic. Once you get far enough along, scaling problems start to show up on physical-based damage, and end game you'll basically just be running 4 darkmages and a knight to avoid ambushes and ensure the occasional fountain appearance.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Minute frontier: has anyone found any character/weapon combo that gives you autorun outside of girl/sword? It's almost an idle game, but I can't dedicate one finger to holding down a screen all day, I've got to actually do my job from time to time.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Good to know - at least I know the game has a defined end-point, then!

Not really a defined end point. When I say 'end game' I basically mean once you get to the 'warrior dimension' which is just endlessly running the dungeon until your group dies (or, more likely, the game crashes because it has a memory leak), and then upgrading them and running again to get further. I don't think there is a max level at this point, but people who have been playing since Soda Dungeon was released are reaching levels in the hundreds of thousands and getting a few billion gold every few screens. No point to it, really, at least until future updates.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

4 Dark Mages with anti-magic bottles and a knight, in that order. Boost their raw attack and magic % as much as possible.

Pretty much this, although I'd add that you also want to boost up the MP relic as well, because the game uses that number to calculate the damage for one of the dark mage spells. So, attack relic, mp relic, magic damage relic, and the DM specific relic. Also maybe the gold relic. Don't bother with any of the essence boosting items, because something's bugged about the essence find % right now, so if anything you want to boost gold as much as possible and throw it down the magic well to get essence that way.

Eventually you get to the point where the main limitation on your runs is stopping to convert gold to relics before it spills over into caps (which don't do anything right now). I'm already having to stop every 100 levels for this, although really I don't even know why I'm playing any more. Something to leave my phone doing while I'm working, I suppose.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

For anyone looking for a dumb 'tap until your fingers fall off' game, the people behind Tap Titans have just released Tap Tycoon. It's kind of similar to Titans, at least insofar as you'll be tapping the hell out of the screen, buying upgrades, then prestiging and starting over with incremental permanent improvements, but it's different enough that it's not really just a reskin. I've only screwed around with it a few minutes so far, but I haven't come across any obvious bullshit mechanics like Titans's bosses suddenly killing characters and then giving you a long wait or an IAP cost to bring them back.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

FadedReality posted:

I tried Tap Tycoon. It's AdVenture Capitalist reskinned plus an artifact system like Clicker Heroes/Tap Titans but called Technologies. Not really any ingame info on how you get more past the 3 I got on the first prestige. After doubling my wealth and prestiging twice more with no more artifacts I'm bored. It has nearly 800 upgrades for your buildings and powerups. Stick with your current favorite idler there's nothing new on offer here.

e: also the Tap Titans community is pretty upset because the updates on that game have slowed to a crawl and then out pops this game instead.

Yeah, it's not amazing but at least it's actually viable to leave it idling in the background. Unlike Titans, where the gold you'd earn by idling for a week is the same as what you'd get for tapping down like three monsters. As far as I can tell the upgrade card things come based on the levels (from the bar at the top) that you acquire. Something like one every 10 levels or so? I dunno. The game really doesn't explain itself well.

I can kind of understand why the fans would be miffed, after waiting ages for some updates to Titans, this game comes along with QoL features like one tap max level buying that Titans has needed ever since it was released.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

god that floor x700 boss in soda dungeon is stupid. every time, you have to sink a couple runs into getting enough essence to pump your fighters to the point where they can beat the guy.

Not sure how far along you are, but once you get a ways into the warrior dimension endless run, you can stop doing this and just start pumping up your dark mages to the point where they can kill him in one round. I don't recall exactly where it was, but if it helps to gauge things at all my fighter relic is at level 70, so apparently after that point I no longer needed it. Possibly could have done it earlier if I'd focused more on DMs to start with instead of trying to make thieves and crit damage work.

Also the dev has said that the 700 boss is going to lose that ability for endless runs in the next patch, whenever that finally comes out.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Speaking of patching/updating, Soda Dungeons (at some point) finally nerfed/changed the way the bosses work in the Warrior's Dimension. I was able to damage and defeat the normally-only-damaged-by-heals boss normally

This was patched in quite a while back, a month or two ago I believe. The fighter only boss won't be fixed until next patch, which is supposed to be some time next month I think. The dev posts from time to time on reddit, unfortunately that requires reading reddit

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do not play that game and especially do not drop tons of money on it like our star trek friends itt

Picard is the true waifu

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Since dragon coins no longer exists, are there any other coin dozer games of note, I find that style of play super engaging/satisfying for some reason.

None that I've found, sadly. I also found dropping coins strangely enjoyable. But they ruined that game for me when they started with the 'here is an unskippable video ad out of nowhere' BS. Sad, because I was perfectly fine with clicking on their 'watch this video to earn energy' or whatever similar mechanic they were using before. But yeah, they got greedy and dumb and ruined their own game, and then it faded into cancellation. Since then all the other coin dozer games I've seen appear to just be mindless score games without the external structure of collect-a-thon fantasy monster battling or anything else to give them meta-game context and replayability.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Not sure if this was mentioned and I missed it, but calculords became free at some point. I remember people had some good words for it early on in the thread, but it had been a purchased game at that time.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

All those posts and none of you goons linked your dumb fishing game. (I don't know if it's dumb, I haven't tried it. But seriously, at least link the game if you want people to get it)

mrkillboy posted:

A port of Fahrenheit - Indigo Prophecy is out for Android.

Doesn't this have polygonal nudity in it? Wonder how they got that past google, since they usually seem pretty serious about not letting anyone break that rule. Or maybe they just took it out, since it seemed totally superfluous to the plot from what I remember of an LP I watched of it a while back.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I literally finished Tiny Tower, built every floor. Why would I start over again? This is madness... 134K

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm wondering how well this prestige mechanic in the new TT is going to work out. 50 floors is a decent time investment, and getting a ticket to gild one floor for instant stock or maxed residents, while nice, doesn't do a whole lot to get you back to that point very quickly. Usually games with a prestige mechanic have a cycle where you hit a wall, prestige, and then use the bonuses provided by that prestige to get back up to where you were in a much shorter time. Then you make it a little further, prestige again, and so on. TT is much more of a slow burner type of game, where you're always building towards that end goal of having the tallest tower possible, and this runs counter to that. I don't know how long it even takes the average player to reach 50 floors. I think originally it probably took me a year or two of fairly regular playing to finish my tower on the old version, but I forget how many total floors that was. It just kind of seems like a mechanic being shoehorned into the existing game, rather than designed to work with it. I mean, suppose someone was an insane completionist, like the goons who tried to get maxed out 9 skill dream jobbers for every single store in the original. If someone wanted to gild every single floor in the new TT, what are they looking at? Decades of play time?

On the plus side, if you reset every 50 at least those 'find a bitizen' quests won't be quite as insane.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, it really does seem like you should get something besides one super floor for all the trouble, especially if you went to the lengths to get a lot of dream job placements. Not to mention any bux you spent upgrading shops or elevator speed are now gone. There's just not enough incentive to throw all that poo poo away, especially since someone who didn't invest all that gets the same drat thing.

Didn't even think of elevator upgrades. Yeah, that's pretty rough. I usually drop thousands of bux (in-game earned, I'm not that crazy) on elevator upgrades as my first priority in these games. Plus the bux you would have put into upgrading individual floors, and the bitizens you might have cycled for dream jobs, etc. The payoff just isn't there for what you're giving up in return. Even if you were getting 5 or 10 of the gold tickets per prestige, I'm still not sure I'd be that inclined to dump it all and start over.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

TT friend code is 134K, but I've already posted it so if you've already added people who posted you probably have it. Just reposting it since the game is officially out now.

Also people need to use the worker request function more often. I evict a ton of bits that don't have jobs I need currently, and I could be sending them out instead. (Wish there was a way to see if any friends happen to have the business for a bit I'm about to jettison, instead of just those that are requested. But clicking tower by tower and checking is beyond the limits of my lazy generosity)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

God drat I really want another dragon coins game :(

It was a fun game, until they vomited ads all over it. And there's not really been anything like it since. Maybe if they hadn't choked it with lovely ads they wouldn't have lost their playerbase. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

tater_salad posted:

blah.. I like the idle games better, the ones that you click on every once in awhile and to start the begining of the round then they collect themselves, I dont' want to be assed to go into a game to click. I like games that I can open, click furiously for 5-10 min, then let sit for a few hours.

For what it's worth, Tap Tycoon eventually turns into something like this. Or really, it sort of does both. It's from the same guys who made Tap Titans, and they've already proved repeatedly that math isn't their strong suit. So the balance is pretty much all over the place. Early game clicking is almost worthless and you're waiting for businesses to turn a profit, then late game it switches and days worth of business cash are worth almost nothing compared to the profit you make in a single tap.