Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There is a weird lack of Kingdom Rush in the OP. All three games are great, but the first one can be skipped if you really feel like it I guess. (Frontiers is 2 and Origins is 3).

Also I didn't know Sorcery! 3 was out yet. drat it, I still haven't done a perfect run of 1+2 to prepare :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, Flappy Golf is really really good and its existence makes up for the whole "Flappy Bird Craze". It is also free, for some reason.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.ssgflap&hl=en

e: I believe those guys are goons, they also made Bitcoin Billionaire and some other cute/fun games

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

willus posted:

type:rider is a pretty neat game that contains a lot of information about the history of typography
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bulkypix.typerider&hl=en

Was just about to reply with this, it's really good. Got it for a dollar in a humble bundle and feel like I stole something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mrkillboy posted:

Out of nowhere Square Enix have put out a new, non-Final Fantasy RPG called Masters of the Masks on the Play Store. It looks like it plays like a turn-based Battleheart.

I imagine the mobile game division of Square-Enix is a weird place to work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Famethrowa posted:

Will it have actual freeform deck building? That's literally all I want. And no, MTG Online is not the same.

Duels 2015 had deck building. Most still consider it by far the worst entry in the series, which is reflected in its poor sales and reviews.

I am not optimistic about Duels: Origins.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lowness 72 posted:

Is this the one where you walked around on an over world and saved cities and fought various monsters and stuff?

I miss that game so much.

There's a patch available that'll let you run it on a modern machine. It also adds cards, updates the graphics and a bunch of other stuff. I don't know if linking to it is :filez: but it's called "Shandalar 2012".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new Humble Mobile Bundle out, this time showcasing developer Tin Man Games' adventure gamebooks. The games this time are:

An Assassin in Orlandes
Siege of the Necromancer
Slaves of Rema
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
Sultans of Rema (beat the average)
Fighting Fantasy: Caverns of the Snow Witch (beat the average)
Curse of the Assassin (beat the average)
Trial of the Clone (beat the average)
Fighting Fantasy: Starship Traveller (pay $9 or more)
Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be (pay $9 or more)

I bought this and all the download links are not working (previous Humble Bundles worked fine). :\

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:wooper:

All of them are good, but I remember Book 3 being the most fun, with 4 and 2 close behind. Book 3 is also really, really hard though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mrkillboy posted:

The devs behind Smash Hit and Granny Smith have an intriguing new game out called Does Not Commute. It's a driving/puzzle game where you get various vehicles to a checkpoint across a map, with the aim being to get as many to the checkpoint as possible as you replay the level again and again with different cars, their paths now swarming the map, all against a time limit. Phew!

Its free with a single IAP to unlock checkpoints.

This is awesome but it's worth noting that you basically HAVE to unlock checkpoints. So it's more like a "demo" than "free game you can pay if you want to".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

foutre posted:

I have two 9 hour plane flights coming up, and I'm trying to stock up on games. Right now I have Dragonfall, Banner Saga, King of Dragon Pass, and some Kairosoft games installed. Are there any really immerisive, lengthy games worth adding? With the caveat that I've already played through all the Infinity Engine games on Android.

Sorcery!, if you buy all three that should fill 9 hours right there, at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EvilElmo posted:

I'm going to need a lot more questionnaires to buy either of them.

Desktop Dungeons is on the short list of "best game on Android, period". I was an early adopter into the PC version, and it has become so much more and better than it started out as that it's quite crazy.

I just wish the Android version were free to people who own it on Steam, or at least to people like me who "pre-ordered" it when it was being developed. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

XP is everything. You should always fight enemies at least a level above you for the XP boost. The game is designed around this mechanic. Also, check spells to see if they award extra XP and figure out how to exploit them to help farm XP. You'll never get your characters to level 10 just trading blows with enemies at your level.

Also, once you learn the game's tricks, you will usually finish off the boss as low as level 5/6 with a lot of unkilled enemies on the screen.

It's a strategy game, not an RPG; XP doesn't carry over between dungeons after all, so your goal is to get in and get out, with sub-goals like "find rooms/solve puzzles in them to unlock gods/races/classes/items".

One simple tip that should be obvious but some people overlook it: when you level up, you heal to full. Monsters don't heal at all when you level up. This should make finishing bosses off a lot easier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It keeps asking me how much money I make. It's asked me that literally a dozen or so times. It's like the app is saying "yeah sure buddy, try again". :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Guys, I wasn't trying to brag about making six figures, the joke was supposed to be that Google doesn't believe I'm capable of making even the meager five figures that I do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

In gaming news, I want to build a boat. That should be coming out soon, right?

Two more days! I'm probably more excited about this than I have been about any major console game in a decade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Good enough for me.

What's this boat-related game?

The sequel to 1000000. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eightyeightgames.tenmillion&hl=en

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dehry posted:

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/harvest-moon-seeds-memories-announced-for-wii-u-pc-smartphones

Natsume's Harvest Moon clone Harvest Moon is coming to smartphones.

Is there any indication Natsume know what they're doing with the series or are they just going to copy Story of Seasons?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Living in Australia is punishment enough, let them have this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Morter posted:

Oh god I've been calling it 100m all this time :doh:

I never stopped to count the zeroes so I always just type a 1 and then a rough number of 0s. Out loud though I called it "a hundred million" too, has a better ring to it than "ten million".

I hope the guy is successful, it takes balls to name your best game "You Must Build a Boat"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I noticed it too, and even if it is a bug it's a fun little interaction.

I think the Giant Bomb or Destructoid thing said that being able to slide blocks in mid-cascade was great, so it's definitely not a bug.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My only complaint about #ymbab is that the documentation on what things do/don't do is... nonexistent.

Then again, it's probably by design to inspire a sense of discovery. It's also a lot harder than 10000000 and a due to how many new tile types there are, I find myself using a vague semblance of strategy beyond "match everything constantly". Like it really sucks to get to a chest and have no key tiles, and enemy resistances are super meaningful so you have to pay a lot more attention.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rotaryfun posted:

Yeah I haven't figured out what tapping on any of the different X's actually does. Anyone have a clue?

It's just a "tap to continue" screen. I thought I screwed up too but the dungeons are totally linear so far. The game being so much harder made me think I had somehow screwed up too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

So, if you weren't super crazy about 10000000000000, is it worth it to try the new one? It looks like kind of the same thing.

The game plays more or less the same, but I'd say the tweaks make it different enough that you might like it. The game is less mindless and has more interesting rewards and a cooler framework (eg building a big rear end boat and populating it with pokemon that give you bonuses).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A big part of the appeal to me is that the graphics look exactly like a ColecoVision era Activision game, and those were so good. Hell, I still play River Raid or Keystone Kops every once in a while.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I've noticed that there are a number of Dragon Quest games on the play store, notably DQ IV, V, and VIII. Can anyone comment on the quality of these? I saw a virtual control stick in one of the VIII screenshots which was a bit offputting but I guess that's what I should expect with console ports.

4 and 5 are really good, but you could also just get DraStic and emulate the totally legal roms and it would be the same experience, as those ports are based on the DS remakes.

Dunno about 8, I'm waiting on a 3DS remake of that one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I almost made the mistake of buying Knights of Pen and Paper 2 before reading up on it. Basically it would seem that it's not really a sequel and has way less content than the first game. :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Apogee15 posted:

I bought YMBAB and it's easily one of my favorite mobile games. Top 3 for sure. It's basically just more 10000000 with some extra stuff thrown in.

He's also taking feedback on the issues some people have been complaining about and it's likely to get better, but he felt like he needed to get a working release out the door.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is anyone else having trouble updating YMBAB? It keeps downloading, installing, then giving a random error message.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Fallout Shelter; a gooncave management sim has just been released on iOS and will be released on android too, most likely before the release of Fallout 4. Probably within a month.

e: also the first reviews seem to indicate the game is free and the only IAPs are to increase drop rates for rare loots. Hopefully not a timer game.

It looks like This War of Mine only cartoony. Too bad it sounds like the gameplay is nowhere near as good :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mrkillboy posted:

The folks who made the original Puzzle Quest have a new game called Gems of War, which looks very much like Puzzle Quest.

Yeah but it also looks like Puzzles and Dragons or any of those "Collect dudes puzzle games" and I don't like those. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Don't know if it's been mentioned but free goon-made game Crossy Road is actually a really great version of Frogger with 96 weird animals to unlock, some of which change the graphics/gameplay. And it appears to not even have ads, unless that's just because I haven't played it with wifi on yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deakul posted:

I don't follow how a game that you don't even PLAY is considered fun.

Lava lamps are fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Syrinxx posted:

So we're supposed to smoke weed

Every day, in fact.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well today's Crossy Road update sure is a thing...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Blek is on sale for a dollar. Really fun and unique minimalist artsy puzzle game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Echoing the Groove Coaster 2 love. Is the Engrish in it intentional or not? It's so bad it seems like it would have to be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lowness 72 posted:

So does Desktop Dungeons continue to live up to the hype?

It had a development cycle that included being in "backer beta" so long that it predates the Kickstarter trend. When they finally finished it, it was clear all that time was well spent. Most companies would have released any of the dozens of stable, balanced versions they had in the meantime, but these guys are insane and stayed in beta way too long which resulted in a ridiculously feature-full and slick game.

Add to that the fact that it's been out on PC for 2 years before the tablet version and, yeah. It's way good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lifeline is really cool, just be aware it needs an Internet connection to validate the license, so don't install it and then forget to play it until you're out on call in the middle of nowhere like I did.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It makes me wish I knew anything about Android programming, because I would totally be down for writing a bunch of games like Lifeline. Sadly it would almost certainly pay better than writing novels. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i was reloading posted:

I've played quite a bit of Kingdom Rush. Easy to learn, very hard to master. Each level gets exponentially harder... Which is a good thing.

Frontiers and Origins are significantly more balanced/"fair" than vanilla Kingdom Rush, while also being more tricky and having a lot more happening on the maps (especially Origins).

I remember by the time I got to the last story map in the first game I was so bored I would just read a book while my guys finished off the last few waves. It's not even fun for me to replay, whereas I've replayed Frontiers several times.

I still haven't beaten Origins because it is An Absolute Fucker.

Never bought any of the IAP Heroes, are they stupidly game-breakingly powerful? Because the Heroes you get without paying are kinda useful but I often forget about them unless they die, and almost never even change their position in the map. It is possible I'm playing the game wrong.