Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently there have occasionally been jaguar sightings in the southwestern United States. I had no idea they got that far north. I mean, I knew intellectually that there had to be some in Mexico, what with the Aztec and Mayan reverence for them, but I guess I just sort of mentally filed them as South American Mammals, Never To Get Further North Than Panama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

Not me, but my coworker just found out (while talking about New Orleans and football) that the symbol the Saints use called a "fleur-de-lis", not a "Florida Leaf".

e: If you google image search "florida leaf" you get fleur-de-lis as the first result, so I guess he's not the only one.

The guy I saw in traffic yesterday with "SAINTS" and a fleur-de-lis on his rear window was probably a fan of the football team and not the video game street gang.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I heard the Mr. Mister song 'Kyrie' on the radio the other day. I hadn't heard it for a decade at least and I'd always vaguely assumed it was about a woman because Kyrie sounds a bit like Kirrily and the song seems to be addressed to someone ("Kyrie eleison, where I'm going will you follow?) and I never really listened to it that closely anyway.

It turns out that "Kyrie eleison" is Greek for "Lord, have mercy".

Ah yes the Carry A Laser song

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Weembles posted:

Like the way you can sing all Emily Dickinson poems to the tune of The Yellow Rose of Texas?

What do you mean, "can"? That's not intended?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

What would the Event Horizon experience be like?

(shut up, I like that movie)

Very dark sunglasses.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

in IRL life.

WHYYYYYY

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still hear about the time I pronounced "Constantinople" to rhyme with a popular but aggravating board game

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

If it's yella, that's juice you got there, fella!
If it's brown, you're in cider town!

If it's black call Dr. Andretti 455-2123

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Cheesburger's when you're laid on ice.

Rotting away again in Giants Stadium

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

purple death ray posted:

A married couple is not 3-5 people though

Give it another 20-30 years.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wanna see a poll of how many people think Caesar salad is related to ancient Rome

A proper Kaysarr salad should be dressed with garum

I just figured out that i would definitely rather fight a hundred duck-sized horses than one horse-sized duck. It goes back to the whole "poor Freckles, thought of ants and died" thing. A horse is fragile in both body and spirit. Take away their size and momentum, and what have they got? Tiny little horse bites.

Meanwhile we already have a word for "horse-sized duck", that word is "dinosaur" and I don't want to fight a friggin dinosaur.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not "just figured out", cause I learned it on Thursday, but a graveyard is attached to a church (like, part of its grounds), and a cemetery is separate.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those google captchas that ask you to identify cars, traffic lights, crosswalks and storefronts are probably training a neural network for use in self-driving cars.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It was only a year or so ago I figured out that when Marvel editors refer to the Distinguished Competition, they're not just being gracious in their word choice.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Recently I learned that rheas are not, in fact, extinct, and South America does still have person-sized birds running around

I think I must have conflated terror birds (which are extinct, and from South America) with moas (which are also extinct, from New Zealand, and the word sounds a bit like rheas)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

It's not like I'm having my knives personally forged.

Lol if you don't have Enrique powerfully hammer a new set of flatware for you on the house anvil for every meal

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shifty Nipples posted:

Wor-chester-shire :downs:

A la the guy in the Bugs Bunny cartoon, Worsheshtershishtersheshtershishtershire.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

beats for junkies posted:

Around the world around the world around the world around the world was everywhere in the late 90s. At least, that's how it seemed at the time. That and Republica's "Ready to Go."

I remember Muchmusic playing the video for Da Funk a whole bunch as well

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Citizens of Commonwealth countries with a permanent address in the UK can vote in UK general elections.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Hard" drive as opposed to "floppy" drive is the way I learned it, back when the school's Apple IIE's and my family's 386 took 5-1/4 discs

I'll call an internal SSD a hard drive all day long because it lives in the chassis and does a hard drive's job

Which, I suspect, is also why 3.5 discs were "floppies" despite not being floppy at all

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Things I learned yesterday: it's not pronounced "Butt-a-geeg"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

IIRC “cherry” comes from English speakers thinking that “cherise”—the old north french word for cherry—was the plural form

This also happened to the pea, which started out in English as "pease", from the Latin Pisum. The original form of the word is still preserved in such as "pease porridge".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

cyberia posted:

The Elgin Marbles are not giant stone balls, they're marble sculptures :doh:

Also, the phrase "this one's for all the marbles" sadly does not refer to Thomas Bruce, Earl of Elgin, winning the aforesaid sculptures in a game of whist

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

See also:

Darius Rucker is NOT Hootie.

There is no Hootie, "Hootie and the Blowfish" was just a nonsense name they chose, though honestly it's sort of his fault for not realizing that as the front-man, people WOULD think he was Hootie and the rest of the band was the Blowfish, a la Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers..

Which one's Pink

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is how that Mandela Effect poo poo happens.

Except I don't understand why people thought Mandela himself died in prison, considering he was president of South Africa for years after the end of apartheid. Which raises the question, was there a famous anti-apartheid activist who did die in prison in the 80s?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People look at me like I'm a weirdo when I eat raw bell peppers like I'm munching on an apple but they're the ones who are missing out

So what's Kitchen Stadium like?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm rather in favour of having an entire-rear end other month in the middle of February, February sucks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

I don’t think extending February so it lasts 60 days is the way to go about getting through it quicker.

No, see, you break it up into smaller more manageable chunks. A whole month of February is rough going, even at two days shorter than a usual month. But three weeks of February, and then a month of Smarch, and then just seven more days of Feb? I think I could just about handle that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I used to picture Grace Slick rolling in her grave every time someone played "We Built This City On Rock and Roll". But this is not true. She wasn't dead in the 80s when it got recorded, she's still alive now, and she's the one singing the loving song. :gonk:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

Chocolate and Manila Swirl

Pushing the envelope on flavor

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't get me started on the whole Brontosaurus thing.

I've been telling people that a recent study concluded that Brontosaurus was different enough from Apatosaurus to constitute its own genus after all, making Brontosaurus a thing again.

If you think I shouldn't be doing this, you can meet me by the bike racks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scientific names:
Genus, species
Generic name, specific name :monocle:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

I always assumed they were part of a very specific period of time but the last ones were more recent than the American Civil War.

Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars, which are the same movie, are set half a world away from eachother but only a few years apart: Yojimbo is 1860 and Dollars is shortly after The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, which is during the Civil War

Blondie and Sanjuro missed out on an awesome teamup

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can't believe I just figured out somebody else had heard of Gentle Giant, providing me an excuse to post some album art that's as rad as it is unfitting of a lot of the actual music therein.

I for one am always happy to see Roger Dean album art

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ShimaTetsuo posted:

In return we have provided the world with Just for Laughs: Gags, a prank show without any talking parts (thus easy to export), and "Un gars, une fille", a comedy based on common stereotypes of the differences between men and women which has been adapted in like every country (although not successfully in the US, I think).

There's also the cop drama 19-2, both French and Anglo versions had an episode with a minutes-long continuous shot involving a school shooting, but only the Anglo one starred Wayne from Letterkenny

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

Tom Cochrane was also the lead singer for a different one hit wonder act, Red Rider, who sang "lunatic fringe" another song that's constantly misattributed to random other rock bands.

If you want to momentarily confuse yourself, give "White Hot" by Red Rider a listen and see how he pronounces "Somalia"

Bryan Adams, Tom Cochrane, Kim Mitchell and Colin James are all sort of on the same continuum for me of "extraordinarily white Canadian rocker of the 80s and early 90s"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shifty Nipples posted:

Powdered toast man is "powdered" with sugar. The toast is not a powder. He's a piece of french toast. Or rather his head is.

e: I'm coming to the realization that "Things Man Was Not Meant To Know" can also apply to dumb as hell stuff that you shouldn't have cluttering up your brain

Phy has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Sep 9, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AKA Pseudonym posted:

People talk the dark winters being hard to take in higher latitudes. But it's the sun being out all the time in the summer that really gets you. Like one long day broken up by occasional naps.

When I lived farther north than I do now, we'd put tinfoil on our windows in the summer to completely block out the sun. Gotta sleep somehow.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fartknocker posted:

Where is it still dusk or any kind of light at 10pm aside from like Alaska or places similarly far north/south?

Well, where I live isn't so far north as to require tinfoil curtains any more, but it does stay bright out until 10ish (11ish with DST) for a few weeks in June. (Not coincidentally my favorite time of the year.) And London's at about the same latitude, so there, too? Weather notwithstanding of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A thing I just learned: The musk-ox is more closely related to goats and sheep than it is to cattle and bison. Effectively it's a huge goat in a warm coat rather than a smallish buffalo.