Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit oh my god Jawn Valjawn is such a good username

I think I'd prefer Gene Valgene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

credburn posted:

What are you talking about?

Edit this post and then look at it again.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Snitch to the niche, Silent Bob.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon so I still pay cash for most things that I'm buying in person that come to less than like forty or fifty bucks.

A lot of stores have already started rounding to the nearest nickel when giving change, and I'm completely on board with this. Honestly they could safely go to the nearest dime or even the quarter.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

When I point out someone just used a word that means literally the opposite of what they were trying to say and that's why I was confused, they always act like I'm a pedant instead of just trying to figure out what they're saying.

It's like getting mad I gave you a screwdriver when you said you needed to screw something in, and saying "obviously I meant a nail, you pedant, i just said screw"

The one that annoys me is when people use the word "literally" when they literally mean "figuratively". :argh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I'm not sure what to think about Ambiguville.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The fighting-type Pokemon Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, which do martial-arts-style moves, were named after Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, respectively.

(Hitmontop, on the other hand, was named because it spins around on its head like a top, as far as I can tell.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Chef Boyardee was a real guy, an actual chef who founded the brand that still bears his name.

Between this and Colonel Sanders, now I'm wondering what other mascots have been real all along. The Quaker Oats guy? Mr. Peanut? The Jolly Green Giant?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The spice must flow.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Philippe posted:

Animal classification is just clownshoes nonsense.

The President can telepathically declassify animals.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

Something getting 'bent out of shape' would be more flexural strength. Which has it's root word in 'flecto'... literally just 'to bend'.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The interrobang blurs the distinction between ?! and !?, which (as any chess nerd can tell you) mean different things. :colbert:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a sequel to Grease released in 1982, starring Michelle Pfeiffer in her first major film role. I had no idea.

The film was so bad that Pfeiffer really struggled to land another role afterwards and it nearly sunk her career, with Brian De Palma refusing to let her audition for Scarface until a producer bent his arm.

The VHS box of Grease 2 deliberately put the "2" way the hell up where it might easily be missed. My first job was at a video rental place and it wasn't uncommon for customers who hadn't looked at the box very closely to come back, angrily demanding the real movie instead of whatever the hell cheap poo poo sequel this was.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hell, I just found out today that Ed Meese is still alive. He was old as hell in the goddamn 80s but he's somehow giving opinions in court trying to excuse Trump's treason.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It turns out the skyscraper that I've always thought was the Empire State Building...

...is actually the Chrysler Building.

In my defense, I've been to Manhattan only once in my life. I think my misconception came from extremely low-res skyscraper models in early versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator that I played as a kid (New York was as good as my native Chicago for slaloming a plane around between buildings), and also from an assumption that the building pictured on the commercial bumpers on Saturday Night Live must be the really big and famous one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

If a Frankenstein-class monster were to be bitten by a zombie, it would become a zombie which happens to be stitched together. :colbert:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Birds are bugs.

I think you're thinking of bats.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Can we please stop jerking off about war machines in a random pyf thread?

For those wanting to continue the discussion, there's a Cold War thread where jerking off about war machines would fit right in.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

I had a teacher whose first name was Garfield.

I had one named Kermit. As he put it, until he was about twelve years old, he just had a somewhat uncommon first name. And then a frog puppet ruined his life.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

We used to have a cat named Isis.

Gary Seven would approve. :hai:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bobby Darin's rendition of Mack the Knife was better than Sinatra's. Fight me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Charlie Brown wasn't really searching for the meaning of Christmas. His only concern was the Christmas play of which he'd been named director. Even after Linus gave his famous Bible-quoting speech on the stage, Charlie Brown's only inspiration was that his tree would somehow work. ("I'll take this little tree home and decorate it. And I'll show 'em. It really will work in our play.") We never see the actual play that so preoccupied Charlie Brown.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

What little I know of French leads me to believe the word would be pronounced gro-NAW, with a nasal inflection

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

This sounds like the plot to an 80s movie starring Tom Selleck and Ted Danson and is wholesome as hell.

There were only two dads, and it was a sitcom instead of a movie, and the big name was Paul Reiser, but this exact thing existed. And it was indeed both wholesome and very 80s.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cyril from Archer and Jerry from Rick and Morty have the same voice actor. I don't know why I never noticed, especially since he does the two voices almost identically and both characters spend a lot of time in the same mood (flustered).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, I spoke with one of the mail delivery people in my area, they said the old trucks were more convenient in some ways, but holy poo poo the new ones have air conditioning, that is 100% worth it.

Regular Car Reviews got to take one of those old LLV mail trucks for a spin a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3g2p4KKS74

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

And Maggie and Marge.

Took me decades to figure out Maggie is named after her mom.

(Though Marge's full name might actually only be Margery not Margaret )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v68lF5ILsX4

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Never knew that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly, I get it, I've had some devices for over a decade before realizing that I hadn't removed the clear plastic film from them.

My microwave looks like I never peeled off the plastic protector from the window part, but there's no plastic, that's just how it looks.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Torquemada posted:

The video for Total Eclipse is loving wild, it's full of pale young men in singlets with shiny eyes prancing around a dollar store version of Hogwarts. Bonnie Tyler is apparently the new Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher, wardrobe from the Nordstroms in the Eden Prairie Mall circa 1982.

The Literal Video version is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsgWUq0fdKk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg were all forcibly switched to CET during World War II, and never bothered to switch back afterwards.

It's the time zone that will keep growing until it covers the entire world, no matter how little sense it makes.

The final boss fight in that quest is UTC+8.