Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The opposite of Weird Al is... NormAl.

Sorry for the whitest possible addition to the current discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's that Simpsons bit with Mr Burns' childhood, where his dad(?) at the atom mill has a man fired. As the worker is dragged away, he shouts about unions and how "we'll grow corrupt and shiftless, and the Japanese will eat us alive!" (The Japanese? Those sandal-wearing goldfish tenders?)
"eat us alive" is a reference to the remarkable growth of the Japanese economy in the 80's, in particular its automotive and electronics divisions, and HAS NOTHING TO DO with some sort of obscure act of cannibalism by imperial forces in the Pacific theatre during WW2.

Also, the american slang term "stroking out" means "to suffer the effects of a stroke" and not "masturbation." This realisation has made reading the Trump threads much less horrifying.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's a Simpsons episode where the kids visit a haunted house called The Screamatorium. This is a pun on "crematorium." I Can't Believe I Just Figured This Stuff Out.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hyperlynx posted:

Idk, a machine that can reconstitute food would be pretty cool. Not sure what you'd use it for, though.

Where did you think the stuff at Whole Foods shops came from?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

RoboRodent posted:

Today I found out that moose don't range as far south as I thought they did. Oops.

Northern Canada here, but where I live, they're kind of ubiquitous. The last time I saw a moose was this past spring when a cow and two calves wandered into the local university's parking lot early one morning.

(They were adorable but I enjoyed them from a cautious distance.)

I see bears about the same frequency, around once a year. I have never seen a cougar, though they do live here.

Your megafaunaposting is extra fun under the assumption that your avatar is actually your portrait.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

This is not an assumption, it's an established avatar fact for every user.

*scrolls page* wow, that does work.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FreudianSlippers posted:

Oil companies have known about global warming since the late 70s they just don't give a poo poo.

Ahh. Guess what happens in the mid 70's? The Venera probes land on Venus and transmit images of the surface back to earth. Humanity is presented with images of a planet transformed into a blasted baking greenhouse hell; and a lot of very important and very rich people take this as a cue to Think Of The Shareholders.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Trabant posted:

A hundred thousand words about Heathcliff and it's not even the cat.

Catherine loves the meat tank?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Shia LeBoof is not "Post Malone".

No no, you must be mistaken. They're the same person.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I got halfway through university before I worked out that "=" means "the things on either side of this symbol are exactly the same, just written in different ways" and not "GET THE ANSWER! WHY AREN'T YOU GETTING THE ANSWER! YOU SUCK AT MATHS!"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jestery posted:

Speaking of multiplication by hand, I learnt the Arabic method and distinctly prefer it

That's great. I feel like I'm watching a magic trick.

Lady Disdain posted:

I was taught this method, and drawing a grid takes a lot longer than just using the Western method. It might be good as a teaching method, but once you understand the concept, it just slows things down.

Nothing can be slower than how I currently handle maths.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

You're a talented art person though so you don't need* to know that. Or what XOR means or stuff from programming languages like == and != and the arcane mysteries of regular expressions.

The mere sight of == makes me feel really uneasy. Equals equals equals, right? I mean, that's what it does. It's equals. You can't have double equals.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I forgot what a hideous character design monsieur Jetson was.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hyperlynx posted:

I remember that as a child my grandma didn't believe me that Venus is a planet, not a star. She said "but it's called the 'Evening Star'!"

So fair enough. And, as it happens, the root of the word "planet" is literally "wandering star", because they move around in the night sky relative to the "fixed" stars.

I read a lot about space as a kid, and I guess my grandma didn't :shrug:

I distinctly remember an uncle pointing at Sirius and declaring "see that there? That's the evening star. It's actually Jupiter."
Thanks Uncle Geoff

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

credburn posted:

You guys know that electronic techno song "Sandstorm"?

It's a song I've heard three or four times in my entire life? I feel like it's a bit of trivia that I know what it's called, like an obscure factoid I've held on to for when an occasion comes up and I can say, 'You know, this song is called "Sandstorm."' I don't even know where I first heard it or why I know what it's called. But apparently everybody is extremely familiar with this song. Why? Looking it up on wikipedia, the song is from 1999, which is a bit newer than I thought -- though I remember vaguely hearing it while I played PS1 games, which made me think it was on a Wipeout soundtrack but it's not. Wikipedia also says:

Is this why?

A friend who is four years younger than me (graduating class of uhhh 2005 or 2006 I guess) said they played it during school dances. Maybe it's just a popular song :confused:

edit: I guess if I don't go to school dances, sporting events, Reddit or YouTube I put myself ten years behind the zeitgeist. Most of my life these forums have existed as my primary and often singular social outlet. I don't engage much with YouTube or Reddit at all. It's just surprising to me that Sandstorm is completely absent in some circles, but ubiquitous in others and I would have assumed that even as isolated as I can be, most of the time trending ideas and sound bytes still find their way to me but for some reason this song didn't.

I know exactly what you mean, but I don't know why. Like as of a few years ago, everyone suddenly had always known about Darude Sandstorm; while I didn't even know if it's the song that is called Darude or the artist or what.
I'm sure it's all a result of brain algorithms filtering out useless background info etc etc etc, but it's a really uncanny feeling. I can see why the mandelastein effect people get so unsettled.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Brawnfire posted:

Well that's cool, etymologically speaking.

Another bit of cool etymology relates to the origins of that name; it was believed they came from Egypt originally.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, don't worry, you're just in time for some rad etymology facts!

e: exactly how bad could things get as a result of getting etymology mixed up with entomology?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

credburn posted:

I listen to a lot of podcasts and the term "inside baseball" is used all the time. Frequently whenever the podcast hosts start talking about something perhaps a little too in-depth, they will say, "We're getting a little inside baseball here" or something like that. All this time I assumed there was some popular show about baseball called Inside Baseball and this was a reference to that somehow, but it just comes from 1950s political slang.

What! I've been imagining some decades-old show called Inside Baseball. With a bunch of late middle aged guys smoking pipes while discussing McDichael's bat-strike returnage rate or something.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The best slang term for any tube-shaped meat-derived fast food item is the Democracy Sausage.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Brawnfire posted:

It's French so it probably exists as a ghost of a phoneme that you never actually voice but it's wrong if you don't as well

Then there's the opposite of this, when people make things too French and say "now, without further adieu..."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
In the RATM song "sleep now in the fire" the words are "the field's overseer" not "the fields of Ossea." I just assumed Ossea was the site of some horrible massacre or other.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It took me forever and probably a youtube lyrics video to realize that it's "some of them that work forces. Are the same who burn crosses".

Hmm. What did you think it was before?
Zac-parsing can be hard work.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I work outside for a living. Bears, cougars, bobcats (a native cat to the West US that is somewhat larger than your average house cat), and rattlesnakes are all mentioned in the same breath at safety circle up as being so incredibly dangerous. The OSHA stats show that something like 95% of the accidents that are non-slips,trips,falls are caused by other people and dogs. In my years of being outside, I've run into bears, cougars, bobcats, and rattlesnakes and none have tried to attack me, including that one time I literally blundered into a mama bear and her three cubs less than 20 feet from me.

People are by far the most dangerous thing you will ever encounter, and dogs are a distant 2nd. Stay away from all humanity namaste

What if this is one of those ww2 airplane damage diagram situations, and all the people devoured by bears and coyotes and skunks simply never survived to tell of their various maulings

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Manga doesn't have a convention of drawing everyone with vampire teeth; it's just the shape of the upper teeth seen from a slightly lower angle as they recede into the shadow of the oral cavity.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I know what Tree Bucket is refering to but some anime characters do have fangs, it's usually a sign that the character is mischievous and a bit wild

What! I thought I'd made some real progress in understanding anime. And it was all an illusion.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hawowanlawow posted:

parts of the congo river are 720 feet deep. that's nuts

I bet there's hecka cryptids down there.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Then there's the people who insist on saying "without further adieu."
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That ai picture generating thingy is called midjourney, not mindjourney

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
THe word "shot" actually derives from the word "shed" as in the small building where arrows were stored. In time, the word for the storage building came to be applied to its contents, and then, to the act of using those contents. This isn't true either.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ah, the mysterious and disgusting ocean.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What would be the last common ancestor of snakes and birds?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Plz stop kicking buckets, everyone

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Splendid posted:

The guy on the screen is shot as if he's in the same room, rather than on a screen.

Screens do not work that way.

Agghh. A while back I noticed that countless comic artists do this, and now it can never be un-seen.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

despite being a politics junkie over the years I never knew the origins of the phrase "astroturf", that Astroturf is an actual manufacturer of fake grass for sports.

Grassroots versus fake grass... what a good term that illustrates the concept in itself

I never made that connection before! What a useful phrase

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
For a while?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm Australian and 38 and have just worked out that John Farnham and Jimmy Barnes are not the same person

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inceltown posted:

Are you about to realise that Jimmy Barnes was also the lead singer of Cold Chisel too?

Pretty sure you're referring to noted lyricist "Farnsy"
e: or possibly Barnsy

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Sep 4, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
When Smithers said "I think women and seamen don't mix" there was a double entendre occuring

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Tis!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SLOSifl posted:

Count Chocula is based on a Prince in a Serbian fairy tale, who collected all the children in the (fictional) town of Pezcny and forced them to eat each other over the course of several months. The “winner” was given a single piece of chocolate as a prize, and when he ate it he realized that he had no taste for it anymore. Then he ate the Prince, etc etc. Not directly relating to Dracula/Romanian folklore.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Torquemada posted:

My first serious girlfriend was called Penelope, and I can confirm I occasionally pronounced it to rhyme with Antelope.

Did it make her utterly, insanely furious? Or would that be engaging in hyperbowl.