Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, I'm rereading Mugrims No Place Like Home, and I'm really wanting to run something with those creatures in a different setting.

Back when I read it first, I asked him to send me his notes, and he agreed, but never got around to it, and now he seemed to have dropped off the forums. Did any of you receive his campaign notes, or know how to contact him at present? I will reward anyone who sends the notes to me.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do what I do and just rip him off in the broad strokes. You’ll be doing all the other work as an ST, after all.

I am, no worries :) I'm mainly concerned about proper power balance for the fallen so I don't wipe out my team. If you'd like we can compare notes?

Tias
May 25, 2008

quote:

The invunche leaves the cave only in certain circumstances, such as when the cave is destroyed or discovered and the warlock moves to another cave, or when the warlocks have need of it and carry it thrashing and yelling, scaring the townspeople and announcing misfortune to come.

poor fucker!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Is there a ready converter somewhere for using the new WoD rules with Masquerade source? I just bought the new WoD core book, but I'd appreciate a leg up.

ZearothK posted:

One of the factors that made Vampire: The Masquerade super popular is that it was one of the first high-profile games that weren't about murder-hobos (though a lot of people did play it that way), and it appealed to a lot of players who weren't into that style, at least locally it was the first RPG that you'd see women playing regularly. Plus it was very much in the Zeitgeist of the time, Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles were best-sellers, and its movie adaptation, plus Lost Boys and Coppola's Dracula were huge cultural markstones, Goth was most definitely in and it was the right RPG to explode at the time.

Bloodlines is a really good game, clunky but with competent enough art direction that it hasn't aged too poorly, but it has never been more than a cult hit.

This. I came in around 1998 or 99, was a nerd goth and by the time Bloodlines rolled around I was an old hand already.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks. What, exactly, is DTRPG :confused:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Still pondering getting into Requiem, but I want to do a Dark Ages campaign for my guys. Is there are Dark Ages sourcebook, or am I stuck converting the Masquerade line?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Dark Eras may have some use for you, but even moreso you will get use out of Ancient Bloodlines/Ancient Mysteries, the best pair of books for the nWoD line short of the clanbooks.

Thanks! I should mention that I'm mostly interested in rules (such as era-appropriate abilities and merits) rather than splat, as I'm running masquerade+homebrew setting.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I'm putting the campaign together: Players are a coterie of mortals going south into Lithuania during the Livonian crusades to check out rumours of blasphemy. Inspired by the history of the colonization of Estonia by scandinavians, players are crusaders and assorted friends and followers who try to root out the evil there.

One thing I'm wondering though, is, how is it possible to give mortal characters some oomph so they can stand up to supernatural foes? Numina is still around or easily convertable, but apart from True Faith I'm sort of struggling with coming up with other edges that will let them fight vampires and mages.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's actually a really solid idea, I might look into it :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

So the preparations for my Road To Jerusalem-inspired dark ages hunter game are progressing apace.

I decided to write up a bunch of new fighting style merits to give my characters an edge against the monsters without giving them actual supernatural powers, but I'm not sure if they work. I'd like to post an example here, tell me what you think?

Danish/Gautic Fighting:

Shieldwall(*): The easiest way to survive an early medieval clusterfuck. As long as two or more members of the coterie have bought this technique and carry a shield, they may receive an extra +1 to their defense rating. Note that this does not cost an action.

Reckless Strike(**): An untrained fighter’s technique, that remains quite effective and the reason norse fighters are feared: The fearless frontal attack with a weapon held in two hands. If the character uses a 2H weapon or a 1H weapon clutched in both hands, they may use Reckless Strike. After the to-hit roll is made, a test against Willpower+Weaponry is made. If succesfull, the attack causes +1 level of automatic damage and if it kills or incapacitates, may cause enemies to panic at the STs discretion. Can only be used once per scene.

Shield Bash(***): A common technique in this area, the shield bash is a means to relocate an opponent, as well as stun them if lucky. The character must attack with their shield instead of their weapon to use this technique, only causing the damage value of the shield. Then a resisted challenge between the users Strength+Brawl and the victims Stamina+Dodge is made. A success allows the character to move their opponent half a metre per net success, to a place of their choosing. On an exceptional success, the victim is stunned and suffers -1 to all rolls until able to rest.

Forceful Strike (****): An experienced norse fighter can attack with their hand weapon while putting their body weight into the strike, bypassing some or all of their victims protection.
Can be used twice per scene, and every two hits on the attack rolls subtracts one from the targets armor rating, if any.

Combat Master (*****): Elder geats seem to be impossible to phaze in combat, ducking and weaving away from any number of attacks! Neither during regular defense or dodge actions are their Defense or Dodge scores decreased by multiple attackers.

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 28, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ack, still getting used to this system :eng99:

No, it's supposed to be purely nWoD with some converted dark age traits and enemies. I'll try to go over it with my WoD core rulebook again now.

Reckless strike, well, my intent was for any succesful use to rout untrained or militia opponents unless they outnumber the coterie considerably or have a supernatural ally goading them on.

E: hosed around with it, how does it look now?

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 28, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Gotchu, thanks. As you may be able to guess, I'm a crusty bag of old who has played Masquerade and not much else for nearly 20 years :drac:

I'll post a revised edition a little later, any and all feedback still welcome.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Okay, once more - I've tried not to hitch it on particular weapons this time, as well as remove unnecessary filler:

Danish/Gautic Fighting:

Shieldwall(*): The easiest way to survive an early medieval clusterfuck, the shieldwall is closing ranks with other shield-users. As long as two or more members of the coterie have bought this technique and carry a shield, they may receive an extra +1 to their defense rating. Note that this does not cost an action.

Reckless Strike(**): An untrained fighter’s technique, that remains quite effective and the reason norse fighters are feared: The fearless frontal attack made with no regard for personal safety! When a character decides to All-Out Attack and possess this merit, they can perform it as a Reckless Strike. This follows the regular rules for an All-Out Attack, but provides an additional 2 levels of automatic damage if succesful, and may cause inexperienced or wavering opponents to flee if succesful.

Shield Bash(***): A common technique in this area, the shield bash is a means to relocate an opponent, as well as stun them if lucky. The character must attack with their shield instead of their weapon to use this technique, only causing the damage value of the shield. Then a resisted challenge between the users Strength+Brawl and the victims Stamina+Brawl is made. A success allows the character to move their opponent half a metre in a direction of their choosing. On an exceptional success, the victim must check versus Knockdown.

Forceful Strike (****): An experienced norse fighter can attack with their hand weapon while putting their body weight into the strike, bypassing some or all of their victims protection. When the character spends a willpower roll to gain additional dice on an attack roll, they may ignore two points of standard armor when doing damage.

Combat Master (*****): Elder geats seem to be impossible to phaze in combat, being aware of their surroundings to a degree that no amount of attackers get the jump on them! Neither during regular defense or dodge actions are their Defense or Dodge scores decreased by multiple attackers.

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 29, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias posted:

Okay, once more - I've tried not to hitch it on particular weapons this time, as well as remove unnecessary filler:

Danish/Gautic Fighting:

Shieldwall(*): The easiest way to survive an early medieval clusterfuck, the shieldwall is closing ranks with other shield-users. As long as two or more members of the coterie have bought this technique and carry a shield, they may receive an extra +1 to their defense rating. Note that this does not cost an action.

Reckless Strike(**): An untrained fighter’s technique, that remains quite effective and the reason norse fighters are feared: The fearless frontal attack made with no regard for personal safety! When a character decides to All-Out Attack and possess this merit, they can perform it as a Reckless Strike. This follows the regular rules for an All-Out Attack, but provides an additional 2 levels of automatic damage if succesful, and may cause inexperienced or wavering opponents to flee if succesful.

Shield Bash(***): A common technique in this area, the shield bash is a means to relocate an opponent, as well as stun them if lucky. The character must attack with their shield instead of their weapon to use this technique, only causing the damage value of the shield. Then a resisted challenge between the users Strength+Brawl and the victims Stamina+Brawl is made. A success allows the character to move their opponent half a metre in a direction of their choosing. On an exceptional success, the victim must check versus Knockdown.

Forceful Strike (****): An experienced norse fighter can attack with their hand weapon while putting their body weight into the strike, bypassing some or all of their victims protection. When the character spends a willpower roll to gain additional dice on an attack roll, they may ignore two points of standard armor when doing damage.

Combat Master (*****): Elder geats seem to be impossible to phaze in combat, being aware of their surroundings to a degree that no amount of attackers get the jump on them! Neither during regular defense or dodge actions are their Defense or Dodge scores decreased by multiple attackers.

E: Where can the Hurt Locker stuff be found?

EE: That's the name of the supplement, gotcha

Tias
May 25, 2008

I ended up going with the Dark Ages Inquisitor core rules for my game, and I think it's shaping up well!

Now for soundtrack suggestions :D I'd like to hear your most pants-making GBS threads medieval horror music - for comparison, I've already included the Vampire: Redemption theme, Libera Me from Interview with the Vampire and some orthodox hymns like Agni Parthene and Kyrie Eleison.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Loomer posted:

So I finally committed to a redemptions play through for the project and I'm pretty sure I can't use the number of vampires Christof and co killed for it because if I do, he's more or less a one-man Gehenna scenario whenever he surfaces.

Lol me too, that guy hates him some loving vampiric vertebrae

Tias
May 25, 2008

Firstborn posted:

Zak S. is a psychopath. One of his most recent blog posts cites grognard.txt as some milestone in hatespeech on the internet, and later says SA is worse than Stormfront as far as tolerance.

How can anyone keep a job while saying things this dumb? gently caress WW.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm pondering running RevMage for a couple of people who haven't played it. What would be a good theme for a short/medium campaign, 10-20 sessions? Disclaimer: DONT START MAGECHAT AGAIN, I just want a good generalist plot hook that encapsulates the horror of awakening and fighting back against the Consensus in a meaningful but dangerous sense.

I'd like to include going beyond death, but the 2nd/Rev Underworld isn't really my cup of tea. Would it be worth buying Geist:tSE for this?

Tias
May 25, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

oooh fun I know what I'm gonna waste my day tomorrow watching, thanks!

can someone remind me what marky mark here has worked on in the past like five years that makes him worth having on when he's this stupid, because it feels like he's just coasting on his 90's success.

If the European RPG writers scene is anything to go by, he's probably smoked weed and pretended to like whisky with enough dorklords that they keep him around even if he pisses off millions of more sensible fans.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Wraiths don't really count for the 'everyone is a supernatural' thing.

Everyone dies.

Not everyone becomes a wraith though, only folks who died with great regret or other problems.

Tias
May 25, 2008

When is Changeling 2E available for purpose? I can't find it anywhere, but that may because I live in barbarian europe.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I've ST'ed for 17 years give or take, and I'd say that other boojums are best used for a story now and again, not as a Underworldesque free for all. Doing so caters to munckin players basest tendencies and makes it hard to tell a story in the system you're running.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I found out where to preorder Changeling:tL 2nd, and it's loving 70 USD with shipping :stonklol:

Are us euro fans just condemned to eternal assfucking for being born on the wrong continent, or will there be a cheaper way of getting it?

Tias
May 25, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

Since there's a Lightning Source printer in Europe, it might be cheaper shipping to get a PoD copy, but their base price would still be $60-$100 depending on print quality. Also I think the printer is in Britain, so make whatever use of it you want before they have a referendum on voluntarily sliding into the sea or finish Brexiting or whatever.

Also I'm not 100% sure how it's worked out in the past, but usually I think the Kickstarter and Backerkit tradprint preorders out of the US go through a distributor, which I would hope brings down shipping some. Did it tell you what it would be?

After I selected my country, it said shipping would be 45 :sigh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Finally decided to shell out an arm and a leg for Changeling 2nd, and then the page for preorders on backerkit was taken down :smithicide: Great service, OP..

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just bite a random wall and drink that soul down. Get pretty swole in the process, I would expect.

Ask Lugoj Blood-Breaker how well that poo poo works. As a rule of thumb, diablerizing something much older and stronger than you and that has Vicissitude, rarely ends well.

Tias
May 25, 2008

:stwoon: :stwoon: "a compound that Klapötke, clearly a man who has refined sensibilities when it comes to extremely unstable compounds, calls 'exciting..' "

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm I the only one who feels like playing a C:tD chronicle in the civil war? Crank up the clockwork and unleash the jackalopes! :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Getting into C:tL and it's a really awesome read so far, but a few questions:

What are True Fae supposed to be like? The book goes out of it's way to explain how inscrutable and weird their motivations are, and the only tangible stuff I've caught is in the section of exiles, where we learn that Fae who fall in love with mortals or get obsessed with mortal values get thrown out for being boring. I'd like to write a campaign that involves breaking into Arcadia and getting something or someone out, but it's a bit hard to conceive what the Fae are like, I find.

How old could the oldest living Changelings be? Can an exiled Fae live forever in our world given high enough Wyrd?

I reckon Pledges are integral to C:tL and provide the impetus for a really efficient storytelling device in themselves, but I've found it a little hard to come up with good ways to use them in a chronicle. Can you all share some pledge-driven plots that you have used?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do you have access to the 2E book?

No, just 1st ed core, but you're not the only folks to recommend the seasonal sourcebooks, so I'll probably try digging there. Thanks everyone!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish, how did you get hold of the 2E rules?! Did you back the KS?

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's very clear that the Gentry don't want their abductees to ever get out, though. Maybe, occasionally, a Title is screwy enough or oblique enough that its personal sense of drama or even its artificial role-level desires (say, to dominate another Title, or to serve a certain role) overcome the basic desire to exist and feed, and that Title will help a Changeling escape.
Maybe occasionally a Changeling escaping is valuable long-term, because when they come back that's worth more.

I've bought Equinox Road since I posted my questions, and it does claim that the Fae will let changelings escape on purpose to mess with them later, though? It's set up as a thing that happens rarely, but could conceivably be plotted by a particularly unpleasant Keeper.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 10, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks for an (as always, I daresay) awesome discussion about the aspects in C:tL!

The thing is, I wanted my group to be former playthings for this horrible Fae lady( I want to use Lady Bolevile as a template), have them become knights of a freehold and get their former lives somewhat in order, then flip the script on them and have them discover that one of their children is swapped for a fetch, and now stuck in Arcadia with the Lady, whereafter they have to get the babe out of there before it changes too badly.

In this setup, what would the lady's story be, and how could it be compelled and invoked to help/hinder the characters?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions, but this is my first contact with Changeling as said.

I Am Just a Box posted:

I never interpreted Becoming Nightmare to be "inevitable" in any way.

They're talking about Geist (I think)

But, what is Becoming Nightmare? :ohdear: Do I want to know? :ohdear: :ohdear:

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 11, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

This is such a change from oWoD Prime, which I remember not being able to do much of anything at all on its own beyond manipulating quintessence, but needed as a supplement for a lot of things you'd want to do with other Spheres.

Ah, oWoD Prime was pretty powerful as well on it's, own, you could inflict aggravated damage with Prime 3 without Forces or anything by igniting the quintessence pattern of your victim.

Tias
May 25, 2008

On their own, only Entropy, Forces, Prime and possibly Life.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Late to the party, but:

Dawgstar posted:

That does beg the question that how interested the wider European LARP market - ostensibly the thing Martin has his finger closest to the pulse of - was in nuWW.

Educated guess says "a fair bit". My girlfriend is a somewhat reknowned LARP writer who knows all the people in that scene, and particularly two Swedish writers who were hired on to write europe-centric stuff for nuWW. Now, these people know their stuff and may have been headhuntet for that reason, which makes me think there was wider interest.

(hilariously, they are both sensible antifascists who then disawoved Swedracula in public)

nofather posted:

But come on. Dracula versus Gangrel, in the squared circle! It's incredibly VtM. Professional wrestling is professional LARPing.

Fun anecdote: There was a pretty large wrestling/WW online subculture at one point in the nineties, to the point where we had 2-3 "federations" on lovely angelfire homepages. People would cut promos talking poo poo about one another on the forums, and then send in wrestling strategies to a storyteller about how to defeat an opponent, and then the ST would arbitrate who won the match and write out a whole page of description. Characters would be vampires, mages, faeries, the lot, and could use their gifts against the opponents.

I remember one christmas morning where young me got up to check a Christmas "pay-per-view" to find out I won the Cruiserweight Championship from one of the baddest vampires in the fed, "Bloodstorm", and being completely stoked :awesome:

Tias fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 18, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Can someone sum up easily what Martin Swedracula did w/r/t Vampire 5th gen that sucked (no pun intended)? My girlfriend has known him for 20 years it turns out, and while she thinks he's a lovely and possibly rapey LARPer, she hasn't heard in her RPG circle what's so bad about V5.

I haven't read it, so thought I'd turn to the trusty memory of goons.txt

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's good(tm)

I'm still more into Changeling, if only I could get my paws on 2nd ed.. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

So our The Lost game is finally off to a good start..

We left the keepers during a large battle in the Hedge between several fae armies, having been subservient to 2-3 different ones. We were all taken in Hamelin, Germany, though we have lost different amounts of time (5-25 years). Now to my problem: The dim-witted Beast in the party brought a decapitated head with him out of the Hedge, for reasons that happened in the Prologue and he seems unable to explain.

The face has both Mask and Mien, appearing as a mouthless Manikin-ish head behind a mask of a jolly expo robot of some kind. My character was enslaved to a fae known as the Dollmaker, and helped him create and repair other Clockwork changelings like herself. The head communicates to her via telepathy that it needs a mouth, and in a fugue-like state she remembers what she did, and builds a mouth for the head. Narrowly making a clarity check, she runs to the toilet and vomits in terror.

Now fully verbal, it shouts that it's name is FERNANDO and that it was kidnapped by the Dollmaker out of Argentina. Berating the beast for shoving it in a bag and pleading for help getting it's body bag, an NPC older changeling caretaker keeping us safe shoots the suggestion down. We learn that the fae still sends hunters and spies to get escaped changelings back.

Clearly, we love Fernando and would like to keep him, but the prospect of returning to their keepers scare our characters shitless. While no one is prepared to just put him in a bag and chuck it in the Hedge or kill him, we can't have a keeper spy around. Problem is, we can hardly pledge him to be truthful, as the resources we'd have to offer him are staggering. In case he's guilty, he can just say "yeah, what are you gonna do about it" and use the massive traits we gave him to gently caress us up.

What would you do at this point?