Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Because, y'know, Beasts can never have industrial or technological themes. (Ignore the ones that do, please.)

When a Beast and Demon meet, if the Demon can't spoof the Beast's monster sense, they have a Clash of Wills. The Beast, if it wins, gives the Demon Shaken. The Demon, if it wins, gives the Beast Leveraged and senses some important personal info about the Beast. If they tie, they both get Spooked. Also, Demons can't get any of the benefits Beasts can give to other supernaturals, and Beasts can't enter Pacts, ever, period.

(No, Demons have no idea either.)

Cool, but also kinda dumb. If Beasts were to also be a universal antagonist, that'd be a nifty thing for their docket. But for a splat that's said to "play well with others" that one exception needs more explanation than meta reasons or because.

How's rpg.net taking Beast btw? Better or worse than here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Having a recurring goal isn't inherently bad. For a game that does it right, again, I point to Werewolf. Werewolves have the same goal every month: find something to Sacred Hunt and then loving murder it. Might be a spirit that's trespassing where it shouldn't, a Claimed up to no good, a Shartha doing Shartha poo poo, or some dude you really don't like. But what we're doing tonight, Pinky, is what we do every night - hunt.

You need to be be a writer for OPP if you aren't writing already.

About Beast: It sounds to me like a Supernatural upgrade of Slasher in terms of its abilities and some of its motives. It seems like a splat that better acts as an antagonist with a mechanical ruleset to work off of than it does something that is played.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Beasts make good NPCs right now, but I'd have no idea to make a campaign for a group of them. Maybe if it was a group with just one Beast and a bunch of dudes from another splat, it would work out.

It would seems really tricky to do so unless their Hungers were just so or their was a more generically compelling reason like a group of Heroes got together to team up and kill their respective Beasts like some reverse Superhero/Power Rangers set up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Thinking about it, there's no reason for a Sailor Moon fangame because Sailor Moon is the story of a plucky Pylon of Seers who face Abyssal manifestations, Libertines, and finally face down a Silver Ladder Archmage. Or maybe they're Ochemata.

What would that make Madoka Magica then? (In case you don't know and spoilers for the series They're girls granted a single wish in exchange for getting special powers that run off of their positive emotions and having to hunt fallen versions of other girls like them. Overuse of the powers and a buildup of negative emotions causes them to fall and become the monsters they are hunting)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gerund posted:

If Raptors had a stronger element of being the sort of secret-revealing, naked-in-front-of-the-classroom, we-know-where-you-live fear, it'd be a stronger family in our post-NSA world. As now, it's the family of birds.

They'd definitely do better to play up the fears of exposure and the truth and such

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If a bunch of Beasts got together in a group, it seems that they'd more likely tear each other to shreds rather than work together because there seems to be no driving reason for them to work together unless their Hungers seem to more than coincidentally coincide with each others'.

Also, making Beasts out of Batman and his Rogues gallery seems like a thing that is possible and would be amazing for a party of PCs of any other splat to walk in on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

Nah, I don't think so. He's obsessed with Batman, sure, but he doesn't want to slay the Bat, he wants to make the Bat like him. He might be another Beast, a Namtaru Ravager, maybe, one who really enjoys sating his hungers in the most harmful ways possible.

If any of Batman's rogue's gallery is a "Hero," I'd say maybe it's Bane, with his whole "break the Bat" obsession. But I'm honestly not that up on Batman comics, so maybe I'm totally off base.

Arguably, Batman and all of his rogues are Beasts. The closest he has to Heroes are Hush (who has a personal vendetta against Bruce Wayne) and Bane (who's been rewritten to have a greater hatred our Batman, but can still operate outside of any context involving Batman). Bane is more likely a Hunter of sorts

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

You don't need special rules to have John Wayne Gacy in a game.

You also don't need supernatural creatures to have something dark and creepy occur for a team of Hunters to investigate. The best example is the "Countrycide" episode of Torchwood (which is basically Hunter but with aliens instead of magic) where all of the horrible disappearances and crazy townsfolk is because they're literally that bad and horrible and not because of some alien parasite or invasion or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't think it necessarily sacrifices variety, but you do have to consider both Seeming and Kith to reach the result that you are aiming for for your character. Want to play an ox or bull that was forced to till the Keeper's fields until he bled or worse, and escaped by taking an hidden bite out of the Hedge that surrounded the mansion every day until it was weak enough to make a run for it? Pick a Wizened, or maybe an Elemental, and give it an ox-appropriate kith. A snake that convinced with honeyed lies one of the zookepers to keep his cage open? Fairest with reptile kith.

I don't know about the Clarity thing, though. Maybe they are trying to convey the idea that a Changeling's sanity is fragile, something that can get very well or very worse quickly; but your idea is just as valid.
It seems part of their trend of making the morality/sanity stat equivalent come up more often in the course of the game besides when your character commits a "sin" and affect the character beyond being an elaborate HP track or semi permanent threshold

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

It's a very WoD archetype.

What splat could one not make parallels to Batman with?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So is this shaping up to be better or worse than Geist in terms of wasted potential?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I think the funniest part about Beast is how easily this thread came up with like half a dozen interesting things that could be done with the concept of 'Your soul is a legendary monster trapped in epic conflicts whether you want it to be or not'. Like, that is an easy setup to do cool poo poo with! How do you gently caress that up so badly?

Leviathan, the fan splat, treads on a few of the same notes Beast does and it plays those notes a lot better (based on the F&F at least)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bewilderment posted:

It was nice of FF12 to prove through game mechanics that the gameplay of 90% of JRPGs is mindless pattern-recognition in combat. I'm told that when WoW allowed conditional, multi-command macros, you could also get by just mashing a single button.

Something I'm curious about because I only read bits of Promethean once and never owned it. Prometheans already have Disquiet which turns people against them with the torches and pitchforks, right? How are Beast's Heroes sufficiently different from that? It seems like a reinvention of a game mechanic that a different line already has.

Disquiet is a bit more broad and can generate emotions other than shear hatred. It's still negative emotions, but Disquiet generates emotions of obsession whether that's the desire for simple destruction or to tear the Promethean apart to see how it ticks without any regard for its pain and suffering. Heroes do step on those toes a bit though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ambi posted:

I only know stuff from oWoD, as one or two the Storyteller's Guides for VtM went into how Supernatural blood affects stuff, though I think nWoD kept both Werewolf and Mage effects roughly similar?

Werewolf - double yield of blood drained, but take a penalty to rolls to resist frenzy. In oWoD it was +2 or +3 to difficulty as long as the blood remained in your system, which would probably translate to a dice pool penalty for nWoD, maybe check the corebook or ST's handbook for Requiem see if it says anything?
Mage - visions/hallucinations, or potentially derangements I think? Again check the books for clarification, or alternatively interpret the visions as similar to temporary/uncontrolled Mage Sight of whatever Path of Mage it was?
Changeling - oWoD had Changeling blood as a sortof happydrug for Vampires I think, like blood cocaine or just general Emotion-rich blood idk. nWoD Changelings are very different, so unlikely to still stand, but possibly still some emotion-related effect.

None of the other lines really carried through or could be fed on, being either human, a human host, or dead/undead. Promethean blood is less nourishing because it's not real, I remember hearing but no idea if that's true or not.

I think Promethean referenced it in one book or another. None of the other lines have said much of anything so who knows what happens with a Demon or a Mummy. Presumably there's nothing specifically wrong with Sin-Eater blood until they turn it into ectoplasm and good luck getting Vitae out of that without the right tricks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Down With People posted:

My interpretation of Beast is that it's not a good game.

I say if the supernatural powers system is good, then just staple that onto Geist's setting and maybe transplant from the Inner Beast conflicts into the conflicts a Sin-Eater has with their Geist.

Cabbit posted:

Why don't people ever pull in Abrahamic stuff when doing big 'THE PANTHEONS OF THE WORLD' stuff? I'm sick of Thor, that dude's everywhere.

I think some of the Sumerian mythologies trickles into it. Still, gnostic mysticism from the Abrahamic religions would be neat in Scion. Who needs the blood of Hel or Osiris when you could be the physical will of the archangel Azrael or Melek Taus made manifest.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's an eerie though: Make Beast crossover friendly, but rather than teaming them up with the Kindred and Mages, Beasts prefer to team up with their more menacing antagonists such as the Strix and Banishers or the more menacing counterparts like the Pure or Loyalists to better feed off of their "prey" since the interests between Beasts and those groups seem to be more in line with each other than with the protagonists of those splats.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So what faction from each splat would join with Beasts to terrorize humanity and just generally make things worse for everyone?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I want to smack this person.

Cue an entire page of poo poo I'm not going to requote.

So I take it literally autistic (or close to it) people are the ones missing the entire problem with Beast then? Or at least taking part in the Beast defense force?

I assume the type of people who willingly know they're being awful have the sense to shut up and know full well they're playing abusers with no need to justify it, but I could be wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So there's another thread on RPG.net with a poll for their opinion on Beast and the kickstarter preview. Just a little more than half (53%) didn't like it, more than a quarter (29%) like it or saw no problem and 12% saw only minor, fixable problems. Another post summing up the big audiences and reactions:

quote:

One thing that I find interesting about the response to Beast is that every forum but the OP forums dislikes it strongly, and rpg.net is divided, but all for different reasons. The people who dislike it here dislike it because of the whole MRA: the Victim Blaming thing, and because it's horribly written. /tg/ hates it because of muh SJW's and because it's horribly written. It also has approximately two posters who like it, which is the third most that I've seen, ironically enough. SomethingAwful dislikes it because it excuses domestic abuse, and because it's horribly written. Sufficient Velocity hasn't actually discussed it much, mostly because everyone agrees that it's horrible and thus has no reason to talk about it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Beast is giving me ideas at least. It's making me want to push the section of Slashers that talks about how VASCU agents are psychics, and could potentially learn psychic powers if you wanted them to, in a Storyteller I know's face. And then talk about how psychics can enter the Temenos.

Because clearly the answer to all this bullshit is arresting the Dark Mother for child abuse.

I prefer riding on the "Humanity's Collective Consciousness" angle for Beasts and Heroes in that the Dark Mother is actually a gestalt of all of Humanity's fears. This fear is strong enough to manifest itself as an entity and spawn more of its own, Beasts, by adapting those manifestations of that fear. However, the entities its adapting from carry some of those creatures' baggage. Namely: Heroes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ironslave posted:

Wait, people thought Mage was balanced against other splats?

Because as someone who played mage for a few years (and is playing a new game right now) it totally isn't. Anyone with some experience with Forces can instantly disintegrate vampires, anyone with enough Life can heal and hulk out, and there's an amazing exploit you can do with Ritual Casting and Fate which pretty much allows you to accrue roughly x3 the successes you would normally be able to expect on any given ritual casting, which can do horrible things with Life, Mind, and Spirit.

I suspect that last one is why Ritual Casting isn't the thing it used to be, now.

This isn't even getting into the horrible things you can do with Matter if you have an understanding of chemistry, or in general how you can do anything from across the planet when using Space. God help you if you try to compare Archmastery to the post-6 power stat conditions of all the other splats (hey vampires, you have to go to sleep now!). Each Arcana is a toolkit which can be on par with the full spread of another splat's powers.

The only real balancing element is that, aside from these amazing powers, Mages are effectively human. And if they don't want to they don't have to endure those conditions for long.

The other thing, iirc, is that their supernatural ability progression scaled a lot better compared to the other splats since each dot in an Arcana opened up gobs of new tricks whereas the equivalent in other splats opened up only one (or less in Werewolf's case). Geist had a progression that was the closest to being on par to Mage's, but I haven't looked a Mummy's bag of tricks so they might have more things per XP than the Sin-Eaters.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Space 2 is very much able to enable certain levels of bullshit via teleporting objects (needs another Arcana depending on the object) such as listening devices or explosives into areas that may not be quite accessible.

Matter 2 to transmute something like water to petroleum or tar when touching the volume or Matter 3 at range

Death spells have odd interactions with Vampires iirc, but I may be wrong there.

Edit: Again, every dot added to a dsicipline for a Vampire is one extra trick or improvement on a trick compared to a Mage where each Arcana dot expands their flexibility and breadth of ability greatly. Given a particular task and for a Vampire or Mage of a certain amount of XP, the Mage is likely to have an easier go at it compared to the Vampire 9 times out of 10.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 9, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Thank god you're here Soonmot, people almost went a page on-topic about Mage without someone's pissy whinging

Here's how you can tell Mage is written with the idea of balance in mind, at least in theory, while Beast's are 100% the MMcF "whatever man just feel the heart of the dice" poo poo: If Mage's mechanics were written like Beast it would make the Arcana read more like Geist Keys mixed with Scion's stat-scale write-ups. But it isn't, because it at least pretends that you don't need to explicitly state Unlimited Numbers to convey unlimited potential.

Geist has a slightly lower flexibility in their abilities in how they scale compared to Mage, but they're more potent. Contrast to other splats, their scaling is a lot faster with equal potency.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Tezzor, go back to Hellthread. They miss you. Also, this thread needs people debating Ferrinus like Beast needs more defenders.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tezzor posted:

I've already won this elfargument to the satisfaction of myself and anyone not too stubborn to admit he's taken an untenable position re: magic power levels. I still enjoy his posting, what a tragedy for him though

Go back to Hellthread.

And please stay there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

I know it sounds silly and maybe even juvenile, but that's it. That is what I wanted from this game. I would have expected OPP to manage to deliver that and also add a thoughtful theme to it, but they didn't, and it sucks.

gently caress it, I am renaming the Vestiges from Leviathan and pretending that's Beast. It's also a great excuse to come up with over the top names for magical monster powers. You can also sort of fit the themes of that gameline (because unlike the Primordial Leviathan has themes) if you play it up as "Beasts used to rule the world in fear but now they are a shadow of their former selves". Don't know if I can justify Beasts mating with humans like the Progenitors did, but maybe the "Beasts live in the dream world and start inhabing the souls of humans they like" angle and work from there.

Take some of the family themes. Beasts want to continue existing to try and thrive again and lord over humanity with their awesome might. But alas, the world has changed and humanity has gotten better at putting down creatures like them. Before, a Beast might have had to worry about a single Hero going mano-a mano with them. Then they got smart, coming in twos or threes then by the dozens and then by the hundreds if they felt threatened enough. There might've been still a single Hero leading the charge or commanding the field, but enough fights like those and the age of the Beast was no more. Now, if a Beast were to appear in all of its majesty and glory, entire states and nations might come upon them out of a pure primal terror. Thus, Beasts have to be subtle about their existence as they try and continue their family lines in the hope that there might be enough of them in quantity or quality to bring about a new golden age for them.

Heroes could have a parallel family theme where they also have to bear the weight of their legacy except where Beasts know their legacy based on their own innate abilities, all Heroes have to go are stories about their great^n grandparent who slew a monster the size of a skyscraper and blah blah blah or so the story goes and the Hero should live up to their ancestor's name or they're not fit to bear the name.

So even if a Hero and a Beast meet face to face, both of them might just walk out together giving the middle finger to their respective families to be the creature or person they want to be.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I had an idea this morning as I was waiting for the bus. A Conspiracy of sailors and captains, dating back to the early days of the Age of Exploration. It stands to reason that there's a lot of terrifying things at sea, and a group of hunters could have formed between those who had seen or experienced the unnatural.

I thought of calling the Thesean Guild. Their Endowment would be Unnatural Cartography. Got a few ideas as to what that would entail, but nothing really done yet.

They could probably be expanded out to wayfarers, hitchhikers and all sorts of explorers. Unnatural Cartography may have them able to better know where things like Avernian Gates are or where the Gauntlet is thinner and may have navigated through them at some point. I'd be tempted to include entrances into the Hedge with those, but it'd probably be way more dangerous than the others for a mortal or at least have a lower likelihood of them coming back out mortal and mostly sane.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd play a game about philosophers fighting each other using their philosophies as super-powers.

User: Karl Marx
Stand: Das Kapital

If only there was a system other than FATE that could emulate JoJo in its full and absolute glory.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like announcing a new gameline so close after Beast is a bit worrisome. Otoh, it may be a way to try and draw attention away from Beast and its rather divided opinions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Trollhawke posted:

But will they have learned the most important lesson from Beast?

Do everything the opposite from Beast like actually delivering on promises and not making it a hamfisted metaphor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dave Brookshaw posted:

So GenCon is over now, and I'm in my room somewhere near Indy airport ready for the long trip home tomorrow.

Deviant, then.

Deviant is about people turned into supernatural beings by human actors - their transformation is "messy" compared to other beings, and they don't end up with an entirely stable "template". Most are the result of human conspiracies, cults, mad science, and other groups. Even those whose change was self-inflicted are sought as assets. PC Deviants are the ones who've escaped the clutches of their conspiracy - for now - and have a thirst for revenge.

Deviant is Sense8, Orphan Black, Fringe, The Fly, Hulk, Guyver, Tetsuo The Iron Man, Akira, Hollow Man, Jekyll, Videodrome, Existenz, Scanners, Dark Angel, several versions of Beauty and the Beast, John Doe, Kyle XY... One thing I quickly realized after Rose and Rich handed me the blurb you've seen in the catalog and asked me to make a game out of it is how much inspirational media there is for it, which we've not tapped so far.

Also yes, many (but, crucially, not all) powers will be physically obvious, and yes, because the bulk of their foes are normal (albeit organized) people, they will trend to being the street level. The potential for Akira or Dr Manhatten-style blowouts will be there, but most Deviants will be the lowest-powered full game protagonists bar Hunters.

I really wish this was the crossover splat instead of Beast. Experimental subjects pumped with ectoplasm, genetically modified with Werewolf genes, surgically grafted parts from Angels and Demons, replacing their heart with a Pyros pump, and so on. More than one might even be applied and depending on the supernatural types they're around, their abilities resonate with the originals and can supplement them with abilities outside of the splat's purview (say being a muscle for a Coterie of Vampires since the Deviant had their organs replaced with a Werewolf's and can go into a semblance of Gauru) while learning how to better use their own abilities (say watching one of the Vampires use a Discipline like Celerity and being better at using it themselves).

There are some similarities in origin to Prometheans which probably should be addressed and ironed out besides Prommie being made out of non-living subjects and Deviants made out o living ones.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

You could go with a burqa. Does the middle east have it's own ruling supernatural creatures in the nWod? If not it might just be a hotbed of vampire activity.

Why wasn't one of these in Dark Eras? Vampire or Demon during the Crusades sounds spot on and Vampire any any point during the Persian golden age would have potential given that it was one of THE hubs of trading during that part of history. I don't know much at all about the Middle East and that time period though so I might be mistaken in my assumptions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The best thing to do would be run offs in the even of such a close race like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

He's a vietnam war vet. Im thinking he "patrols" the french quarter. I'm thinking of somehow connecting him with the owners of the Union Dive bar (who are members of The Union) and they like pay for his medical bills and give him all the nightly tips.

Not really a fan of long night tbh.

The Long Night could totally be a benevolent, church-based alternative to the Union. The problem is it's depiction and its associations are more towards the brand of Protestant/Baptist that generally tends towards multiple brands of xenophobia. It's more redeemable compared to some of the other Hunter Compacts, but it's also relatively easy to adjust if Protestants aren't your cup of tea. It could easily be a Compact level association for Catholic churches that the MM keeps around to handle the smaller stuff or it could be run through the lens of a different religion like Islam where their efforts to police themselves against homegrown radicals also began to root out more supernatural individuals that also preyed on their communities.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gilok posted:

Promethean is Wraith for the nWoD

Crossover when?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Check the length of their ring fingers. I'm almost 100% sure that's a real thing.

I've always hard it's an aversion to cilantro just like how vampires hate garlic

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

Except they don't, really. They will, at most, lose their license to develop WoD products and Exalted. Scion, Pugmire, cavaliers, etc, remain OPP property, and so that will be continuing on, business as usual. And, since the bulk of OPP's authors are not salaried but work piecemeal on projects here and projects there, there is every chance that they will - if that happens - continue to work on the game lines under WW's banner and possibly be hired outright, unless PI cancels all tabletop aspects which is so unlikely as to be not worth considering.

So, that's the worst case scenario other than an exceptionally outlandish 'they shut it all down forever' thing: OPP, as a company, is somewhat diminished in scale and focuses on original IPs while the writers and developers keep doing exactly what they've been doing, under a new banner. And that's the whole point of my posting the odd bit of wayyy over-the-top nonsense from the OPP forums: the whole thing frustrates me (and also makes me laugh at the absurdity of the reactions), especially since so much of the panic is not about 'what will the developers do' but 'oh my god they'll ruin my nerdgames forever oh god no'. If the focus really was on "oh poo poo, I hope RichT will be okay financially and emotionally" that'd be genuinely nice to see. But it isn't, and that's why it's absurd.

It's also a lot like looking at Paradox Interactive's own forums sometimes so that's fun. They'll click much better as fanbases than anyone expected.

And even in the ridiculous "server all ties" scenario, OPP still has Kickstarter to initially fund or continue their projects and lines so it's not as though they're dead if that happened

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just retheme Leviathan to Beast

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I say this as the person who is currently reviewing beast. And has tried several times to 'fix' it in the past.

Don't.

You do not.

A moral beast is one that doesn't take the option to be devoured in the first place.

A moral beast is one who, if the devouring were forced upon themselves, would kill themselves so that their beast soul would be forced to wander alone and helpless.

There is nothing good about them, there is nothing about them that does good things. The text says what they do is good, but doesn't even try to offer up an idea of what "a world without beasts" would look like. Heroes are no longer tragic figures, they're just an endless stream of faceless assholes who exist to be killed by your sense of moral superiority.

It is not a game that deserves to be fixed, every time I read more about it I discover one more way that Matt slipped in one more thing to stick it to his critics.

There are elements that are salvageable, but they're basically details and not main ideas. The dynamic between a Beast and the Hero is something that could be preserved, just as how Beasts are tied to whatever the Primordial Nightmare is. Even the crossover friendly relationship is something that can be preserved as a concept. What Beasts do and why is something that would be jettisoned almost wholesale, however and that's pretty much the crux of the matter.

Ostensibly, it would be possible to make Beast something closer to what Geist should've been in that Beasts were originally ordinary people, but then something inside them awoke and they became Beasts. That thing inside hungers and wants to feed. The host may be willing or unwilling however, but ultimately the thing that awoke is a corrupting influence and starts to render any good deed in service of their hunger into nothing more than selfish desire. The concept is one where the players would be playing amoral or semi-amoral characters, ultimately doing good or, inevitably bad things for all of the wrong reasons. It's a neat concept, but it would make for a terrible play experience for most people as a result. The types who would enjoy it would likely be people I probably wouldn't want to play with.

Giving Beasts a form of salvation in this case would undermine the concept, especially depending on why the "Nightmare" exists. If it's meant to empower humanity through overcoming, then it makes the players aware of the fact that, at the end of the day, they're meant to lose and that they're meant to fall. That, in itself is also another good narrative hook, but it's a poor hook for players I think.

Edit: I think everyone who care about fixing Beast probably has their own differing ideas about how to fix Beast and as what level the original concept should be preserved. IMO, every Beast would have a Hero and those Heroes would always grow in strength as the Beast grows. How the Beast sees its prey influences the relationship with its Hero (i.e. they both be part of its X or Y splat). The Beast can also never die unless it's by the hands of their corresponding Hero, but a Hero can always die through any means. That Hero will inevitably be replaced by another and another until the Beast is slain by their Hero's hand. What a Beast feeds on should also be up to the player, and, to connect it to the realm of Pandemonium (as it seems to be), non-physical. It can have a physical manifestation like blood or ectoplasm, but it would be something more metaphysical that the Beast ultimately feeds on. Additionally, they wouldn't just be limited to fear or secrets or stuff like that. Beasts would be all-consuming and willing to devour anything to sate its Hunger. This would tie into crossover play where Beasts benefit from following other splats around and learning how to consume what those splats do to make their own feeding or hunting more efficient or effective (a Z-splat in a sense). Alternatively, they could hunt the other splats as they would be loaded with the same metaphysical energies that they might hunt for and consuming those entities would do the same.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One other thing about being a Vampire who don't want no trouble is that someone embraced you. Someone made you into what you are and depending on circumstances might find you a valuable asset to acquire. Depending on how valuable you are, they'll tempt or threaten you into the life. If not the carrot of power and pleasure, then the stick of unending paranoia and being forever disconnected.

As for the information gap after torpor and handling it, imagine an elderly person with their first computer or smartphone and asking them to look up where the nearest Apple store is without any direction on your part. Just because the info is available, it doesn't mean it's any more accessible if you don't know how to access it.