Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I got about 15 seconds in because it's like one those simulations of what Alzheimer's is like. How they expect you to read nearly unintelligible text while listening to inaudible chatter and pulsing bass confounds me.

edit: ok he's saying words, he's just the worst voice actor. I hope making this poo poo bankrupts them.
I think the person talking is the Let's Player, not the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"unceasing, hideously disproportionate violence"?

Is the argument here that The Punisher is actually a Slasher?

Obligatum VII posted:

Late to the party, but my favored interpretation of Cheiron is that the board is absolutely a bunch of lovecraftian gribblies, but they're actually well intentioned refugees from some other place where something bad went down. However, their decision to start up a company as a cover, because it seemed like a good idea at the time, has kind of gotten away from them. They actually have very little control over the company due to the bureaucratic mess that the company has become. All the really evil poo poo that Cheiron does in 100% normal humans, who have basically usurped control of the company from the Cthulus that supposedly run it.
Some of the medium-evil poo poo is probably attributable to the fact that, while well-intentioned, they're still lovecraftian gribblies and thus do not have the best grasp of human desires and motivations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gerund posted:

Did the supernal realms exist before the watchtowers, or do they have the same post-Atlantis genesis? Not that there is a 'real' answer to that, its just always fun to add another thing you can blame on mages if you're dead set on crossing over KFC Franchise Arcadia with Taco Bell Franchise Arcadia.
Isn't the answer to that "We're not sure and it may not even be possible to learn the answer"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

I forgot about this, Red Arcadia is loving killing me.
I'm not familiar enough with CofD to tell, is Red Arcadia actually a place in the cosmology like I recognize most other places as being?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I Am Just a Box posted:

What do you recognize ??? Probably Demon as being from, I want to read that book.

Red Arcadia's just an absurdist crack on how Brinstar in Super Metroid is kind of broken up into two areas aesthetically, so that players end up calling the part after the super missile gate "red Brinstar."
That's the Wrecked Ship, so probably some hosed up malfunctioning Infrastructure with something squatting in it sucking up the Aether. (And the black areas surrounding it should be more Material Realm, they're still Crateria in Super Metroid.)

And ah, right. I remember that now.

I wish I knew who made this so I could ask them if leaving Kraid in intact was intentional or if they just forgot to edit that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

But Beast is so utterly scattershot and the whole "lesson" thing feels tacked on.
I think that's because it literally was tacked on in response to the reactions to the preview draft.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xinder posted:

This sounds really ridiculous to me. If they wanted a game that's all about cross-splat they should have held out for Deviant, which would have made way more sense. Beasts just don't seem like the type who would get along with others. It's why my group learned you don't mix vampires with changelings. Vampires are not nice and they will abuse how naïve the Changelings are and manipulate the poo poo out of them.

I love mixing templates but some of them just don't fit together thematically.
Beasts sure do seem like everybody else would hate them, but they have a magical effect (of the always-on variety) which makes all the other splats have a good impression of them.

Ironslave posted:

Beasts are louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Whenever they're not on-screen, all the other supernaturals ask "where's the Beast?"
This. Beasts are basically half Poochie, half disturbingly accurate descriptions of real-world abuse methods.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Loomer posted:

Ever wonder what the web of feudal obligations in Concordia looked like? Here's a handy, but incomplete, graph. I am aware I am basically turning into that Nickelback meme.

http://i.imgur.com/I8ArHjx.jpg Linked since pretty big.
That looks remarkably... organized and well laid out. That seems odd, I'd have expected it to be much more messy and unclear. Competing claims on things, etc.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Man I'd expect a feudal system to only sort of adhere to its OWN political boundaries, let alone those of mortal society.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZeroCount posted:

That's actually interesting. What is the best way to open a puzzle box with only magic?
Especially at Gnosis 1, which limits your options quite a bit. I think it cuts off most of the stuff like "whip up a telekinesis spell and use that to solve it the normal way".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mulva posted:

Magic puzzle boxes: Not even once
... Wasn't this discussion about using magic to open a mundane puzzle box, as a training exercise?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Would meeting like The Big Deal manifestation in the relevant section of the Temnos of the concept of Santa Claus count?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

Hmm, this is kind of interesting and far more streamlined than I expected it to be. Maybe it'll

There it is.
Oh boy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

The only thing that's remotely enjoyable about CTech is they thought, in planning, "alright, we're gonna have tiers of scale like Unknown Armies or Warhammer/40K. We're gonna have the ability to play ground games, to play magic focused-games, to play Guyver-focused games, to play mecha-focused games. And people will like being able to play different levels of games". But they didn't, uh, put those rules in there and their release schedule never really made that entirely coherent or explicit.

Which leads to the best part of CTech: making the creators very sad and annoyed by asking them "hey so can my Guyver pilot an Eva?" "No. No they cannot." "The rules don't say they can't!" "gently caress you, don't you do that with my product!" That and being able to just buy and field mecha at a ground-game level, trivializing everything and annoying the creators further.
I think they even went to the lengths of saying no, Guyvers can't be in the military for reasons and then one adventure has a guyver who's in the military as an NPC.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mendrian posted:

That is, and remains, unsubstantiated rumor. In fact I haven't heard it from anyone other than Holden and his immediate circle of cautious fans. I know several freelancers, e.g., no one else has had this mysterious non-payment problem.

OPP is a small business and occasionally makes mistakes or mails things to the wrong address or poo poo like that but Exalted is the only instance I've heard of the freelancers 'not getting paid' and given that Holden and co. demanded payment for poo poo they were never asked to write I remain skeptical until somebody spells it out for me.
Don't forget that Holden and crew have been lying about the production of Exalted since the kickstarter, when they claimed the core rules were almost complete. Which was pretty quickly revealed to be not true, at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

The spirit will ask questions and if you answer wrong will leave with all your Macca.
"Give me a Bead Chain."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd play a game of Geist that was basically just Inferno Cop.
Always make sure you're doubly immune to bullets, just in case.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Colma's official city motto, according to the wikipedia page on the town, is "It's great to be alive in Colma".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The thing is, for a lot of the games if you destroy the imaginary aspects of the setting, it either causes irrevocable damage, or prevents existing damage from in any way being corrected.
Close the Hedge? Cool, everybody who was ever abducted is stuck in captivity and along the way you probably messed up a lot of stuff keeping some reeeeal bad faerie poo poo from happening
Delete the Supernal? Ok that's the universe, ggwp all
Destroy all/some aspect of the spirit world? Now something in the material world doesn't work right.
Delete werewolves? As above only now it's a weird-rear end free for all
Delete vampires? Actually, no this one's fine.

With the exception of the last one there, I think the lesson of a lot of "the imaginary aspect of the setting[s]" is that the damage is done and now you've just got to live with the geohell you've got while trying to make the best of what little bits you can, because it's better than Literally Nothing.
Don't forget "Destroy the God-Machine", which has the consequence of:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno, I rather like that the fluff seems to imply simultaneously that destroying the God Machine could end reality as we know it or do absolutely nothing or give humanity more freedom which could result in either who knows. It fits the themes of Demon well, you're not even sure if some big dramatic 'blow up the god machine' is a net good or not but you still need to endure its bullshit. The 'risk' of having to just spend eternity trying to survive without ever being able to strike back in a meaningful way is extremely on brand for Demon.
Oh yeah I didn't say that it was a bad thing, just that nobody loving knows.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gerund posted:

Batted around for a bit and this is what we came up with.

ON THE SELLING OF TISSUE
Does the market distinguish between human(and other people), and animals?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gerund posted:

I think technically the exact opposite: in that the slave trade is justified by the trade of animals, but I can't recall if that is fanon or actually in a book at this point.
My point was more that if it doesn't, this rule would prohibit the sale of things like beef jerky.

... I think, the "purchaser" part was, as noted, very confusing.

EDIT: Also, "The selling shall be done at the moment of sale" sounds like it's supposed to mean something, but doesn't.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

I would say less gonzo on average but occasionally peaking harder. Like, the God-Machine as an actual, physical machine which overlaps with the entire planet and manipulates everything for unknown and possibly no ends at all, complete with summoning robotic angels from nowhere and caching timelines in large boxes under Seattle?

Yeah I'm gonna say that beats out even the Cathedral of Flesh.
As I recall a lot of the really gonzo poo poo in oWoD was also not really stuff players could... do things with, it was just there. So if you exclude poo poo that isn't' useful for actually playing the drat game...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

That one post-mortem of the WoD MMO remains an enduring classic
The "It needs to be more... Pssssshhhh *immediately walks away without explaining what that's supposed to mean*" one?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

The gap between their "Netflix series by X!" plan and what they seem to actually be doing is hilarious honestly. Like they've announced this huge multimedia setting and we've seen signs of what, exactly? Honestly a quick F2P Hunter phone game would be great for them, it would bring in a few bucks and open up the setting to an entire new 'vampires and modern supernatural' market that would never, ever hear of WoD otherwise.
I don't think Hunter: the Reckoning would really be a hit with the general public.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

Maybe about 10 years ago that would've been the time for a "normal folks fighting monsters hiding in the shadows" bit but this is 2018. People don't want to fight the fishman, they want to gently caress him.
My point was that Hunter: the Reckoning isn't a "normal folks fighting monsters" deal. But yeah you have a point too.

MuscaDomestica posted:

There was that video game in 2002. Granted it was closer thematically to the artwork then the written content of the books.
Well yes I suppose if you throw out the entire concept and just make a different game with the name on it....

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Terrorforge posted:

Don't forget the incredibly salient fact that this was said in the context of their California plant pumping millions of gallons of water out of a spring, bottling it and shipping it off to be sold elsewhere in the middle of a drought.
On an expired permit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nofather posted:

Okay, so is White Wolf doing justice to the old World of Darkness?

Because I see people complaining about things like this, that they add in things that are over the top, but that seemed to be a big aspect of old World of Darkness to begin with. And there's posters that clearly approve of these things.

Is it a matter of people remembering the game differently? Or some wanting White Wolf to have 'modernized'?
Well, White Wolf isn't really doing much yet other than meddling with OPP's stuff, and putting out those execrable phone games.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You know, I want to know what that section of the bible where God loses a wrestling match is like in the Scion world.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I dunno, I'm really looking forward to Werewolf The Ap@calypse

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but Cyanide Studio's résumé doesn't inspire much confidence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide_(company)
I think "2018" is a bit optimistic for the release of the werewolf game here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

In fairness, if you're a Son of Ether that believes you need to have weird science devices to do all your poo poo, and suddenly don't need any weird science devices to do any of your poo poo, uh

how does that not fundamentally shatter your worldview???
As I recall technomancers like Sons of Ether had the effect kick in at later Arete levels than other mages. (But at a faster rate, so you'd still end up shedding your last foci requirement at the same time.)

And as I recall, in I think first edition, Hollow Ones actually used the Purple Paradigm. They didn't get the discount on one sphere that actual traditions did, but in exchange they just didn't need foci.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Terrorforge posted:

... wait, isn't that basically what the Strix are? Pseudo-ephemeral entities who possess corpses and sick the life force out of people? This is wild speculation since I haven't read up on the little beasties, but a vampire does kind of look like what might happen if a Strix fused with the remains of its victim, soul and all.
I remember seeing some theorizing with some evidence to back it up that Strix might be the origin of vampires, yeah.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The ancient conspiracy poo poo gets muddled a lot by the effect of torpor on vampire memory, so even somebody who was actively involved in the poo poo going down thousands of years ago is not a reliable source on what happened.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

I have some bad news for you re: fetish content and creepiness as it applies to Bellum Maga.
Doesn't it have the same drat problem with the abilities and actions of the PC type painting the enemy "oppressors" as being completely correct?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

If you go back into the book's fictional backstory, the reason why the witches were cast down in the first place is because the men, and women who didn't have magic, rose up against the Magocracy. Of course they needed help from Mars' Penis Analogue to do so. In a right and just world they would have accepted their place licking the boots of their plump goddysesses and welcomed being smoked to death to power their spells.
Yeah I was not making that accusation against Bellum Maga without some solid backing here. And the Hero's claim that beasts are horrible monsters and should be destroyed for the good of all is 100% correct if you don't buy the extremely vague thing about "lessons", which doesn't, i believe, have any mechanical backing or even real fluff backing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ironslave posted:

Milhouse slams his fist on the floor. "When are they gonna stop being aimless and pointless abuse monsters?!" he cries, then begins to weep. On the television, a Beast is beating up a homeless vet while a Mage and a Werewolf wait in a car, up the road from the last remnant of Pangaea.
:golfclap:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Damnation City is one of the better Vampire: The Requiem books. It also has some really bad chapter intro fiction, one of which is BvD. It's basically about a vampiric cockfight. In this corner, there's a ghouled dog. In this corner, a vampire baby. They fight, vampires bet on it. It's dumb.
Wait it's from Requiem? I thought it was an oWoD Sabbat thing! :psyduck:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ironslave posted:

It was supposed to do that last one. Represent the cycle of abuse.

It didn't.
It's more of a byproduct of the cycle, really. A symptom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just take the elevator pitch of "You're ancient monsters hiding in plain sight" and make something that actually matches that elevator pitch with it.