Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Vermain posted:

Aside from what everyone else has posted, it was the most mind-boggling bug I've ever seen in an MMO. It was clientside specific. GMs would log into that person's character on their own computers and see no problem, but if the original owner tried to log in on their computer, they would see all of their progression as being lost, and the server would register them as such.

When I would hit the reputation tab in Wildstar, it would make everything but my ui disappear, teleport my character to 0,0, spam combat noises, and spam my chat with housing errors.

To be fair, this bug got fixed before any of the common ones like the costume pieces jumping between panes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Verranicus posted:

The Wildstar thread! You were missed, old friend.

EDIT: I love that in this thread (https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/124755-wildstar-retails-dissappearing/) there are people saying poo poo like "as soon as ESO went B2P I quit." Are they full of poo poo or do people actually do this? If you're enjoying the game why would the payment model matter?

EDITEDIT: And I just saw the Olivar post in that thread. He even broke character in it. It's like Christmas.

As soon as ESO started seriously aiming for F2P it got like twenty times better, I can't believe that anyone would choose wildstar over ESO right now.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

To get me back to wildstar, I'd have to see proof that the game was headed in a new direction, and the only way I would believe that would be to acknowledge mistakes. I'm still shocked that, when asked in an interview about content for people who didn't raid, one of the developers thought that "They can always roll an alt" was an answer that would inspire confidence.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Every single boss? There were world mobs who had it.

Now I am having flashbacks to getting adds with interrupt armor in low-to-mid level overworld questing.

I can't imagine trying to have a fun, relaxing questing session as a non-engineer.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Watching people try to give feedback on the forums was amazing. It was a fools errand.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

VoLaTiLe posted:

Have you even seeen warplots >_>..

That line on top of the launcher made me chuckle everytime because no...nobody ever saw loving warplots.

I hate to be the party pooper but Warplots have now been seen. Once, afaik.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Has anyone brought up the new "Contracts" system coming in the next patch?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Iron Tusk posted:

FFXIV still has about the worst cosmetic system.

Locking the cosmetic system behind achieving max level was dumb as heck.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

In context it's still dumb, even Everquest 2 lets you use the cosmetic system with no level limit.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Cyster posted:

You don't need to keep the item in Wildstar anymore either; the skin is saved across your account, so any character can use it without the item. The storage isn't infinite, but it's an improvement on the old system.

How's the city revamps coming?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Iron Tusk posted:

There's a good chance that a lot of those people are already gone.

They're really going to need to find a way to fix their marketing strategy. F2P isn't going to get people if they think the devs hate them.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Anoia posted:

Just think, the server space that once housed your beloved CoH character was overwritten for this.

Considering what kind of company Cryptic has become, putting down CoH was more like trying to cut out the infection before it spreads to your brain.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Anoia posted:

I think the exile capital city has an actual dumpster fire going somewhere.

I mean it wouldn't be out of place.

I don't know if anyone could confirm that considering that looking at the wrong objects in Thayd could probably cause you to crash to desktop. :v:

My favorite CTD spot was this single cave in Algoroc that would CTD you if you walked inside. Nowhere else in the zone, but you step foot in that cave entrance and your rear end is grass.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

CoffeeBooze posted:

I think Fran is just stressing more than usual because her banning talk about f2p actually made it onto an MMO news site.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/12/wildstar-subreddit-mod-bans-f2p-and-b2p-discussions/

I wonder if this will drive her over the edge.

It just drove the other mod over the edge:

quote:

For a quick breakdown, over the past couple of weeks, I had talked with the other mods about picking up 3 additional moderators. They agreed (in some cases did not disagree) that this would be a good choice. This is something I planned on doing this week. Since then, two of the moderators have left (one gave his reason, the other just disappeared).

This was an annoyance, but I figured as long as I had at least one moderator to bounce opinions off of, it would not be hard to pick up users. Over the past 48 hours, I'm not secure with that idea. Because of this, /u/girlwithruinedteeth will be removed as a moderator as of this post. People have been getting banned left and right, articles have been written about removing discussion, and overall put this community in a negative light. While originally her intentions were good, the execution only showed that there were many underlying problems.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Belzac posted:

Guys, I heard that Carbine was doing some scam to trick people into buying lots of their box copies before going free to play.

You know how some games have gambling lockboxes with a chance at mounts?

Buying a Wildstar box was (or is?) basically the same thing now, but physical.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A guy claiming to be a carbine employee is posting alleged spoilers about the future of the game over there now. Part of the bans Fran had been racking up was trying to keep him from posting while she tried to get in touch with Carbine about him. :catstare: Since she's not a mod anymore, she's given up and posted his "proof":

quote:

It's not great. From top to bottom we have handfuls of people leaving every week, there was a stretch where we averaged at least 5 people leaving a week for 5 weeks. As you all probably know we've had 2 Art Directors leave within 8 months, a handful of Producers have left, we still have no Studio Head to replace Gaffney, hell even our Wildstar specific QA is down to about 7 people and a few of them are leaving in the next couple weeks as well. We've had 4 designers from different Feature Teams leave in the past 7 work days as well. There is no transparency and everyone is always fearful of what will even be here 2 months from now. The place is ran very poorly by people who have the biggest egos that fight over everything.

:catstare:

edit: cyster take gaffney's position highlander style tia

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Housing?

I made my house look like a giant tiki monster holding a hammer. The hammer was made out of a huge board and my bed. It had a headdress made out of a giant bonsai tree. It's hideous maw was made of the alligator rug.

Shiphands / Veteran Shiphands

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Valatar posted:

There basically isn't. The developers seem to be in lockdown mode right now; there unsurprisingly have been no comments about the game being spotted in Steam's database, no comments about the inevitable F2P/P2P conversion, and even the "surprise" they promised their players during the downtime hasn't materialized, two days later.

The delay on the "surprise" is p. interesting. It was supposed to be after the maintenance, but it's still quiet.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Valatar posted:

I'm suspicious that the surprise was going to be, "Surprise, we're on Steam!" Then it leaked and their true believers went all lord of the flies about it and the community started to disintegrate, and they had a moment of, "Oh poo poo, they're going to literally crucify us if the Steam thing is the surprise, we'd better come up with a new surprise, quick. Get Dave down in the art department to whip up a pet or something while we stall them."

The new surprise will be "50 Boom Boxes" (Open 1/day)

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Flesh Forge posted:

Literally one guy out of thousands will do this in practice, so let's bend over everyone else who does not really want a rigorously stratified leveling experience for the sake of that one guy. Every game does it that way so that's obviously the only way to do it amirite.

Tons of people retroraid on WoW, "literally one guy out of thousands will do this in practice" is hilarious.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Flesh Forge posted:

"tons of people" out of how many exactly

I'm getting my numbers from the same place you got yours saying that almost no one enjoys being able to avoid spending two minutes "challenging" mobs you've outleveled 50 levels ago.

Straight out of your rear end. :colbert:

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 18, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Flesh Forge posted:

So let's build a system where it only works one way, and is all in favor of the dudes who like to retro raid and offers no concessions at all to anyone else because gently caress THEM amirite :smug:

You've claimed that no one really enjoys being able to trivialize old content, demanded proof that anyone could possibly enjoy it, and now you are mad that "Big Retroraiding" is out to get you. But it's everyone else that is about offering no concessions and being the game police. :smaug:

Cyron posted:

in wow i want a excuse to go out in the world due to garrisons killing reasons to leave.

Timewalking dungeons are not going to get people out of the garrison because people don't even run regular dungeons now. Here is the entire appeal of timewalking dungeons:

You can get the same rewards that you would running a regular dungeon, exception:

1) It's more of a pain in the butt because old dungeon design was crappier and nothing is changing except the numbers
2) You can get an item with a retro appearance, but you could get that same appearance by taking three minutes to walk through the dungeon with nothing able to touch you and just place the items appearance over an item of the same ilvl which you probably got in some easy way like doing LFR once and then getting a free piece of Normal raid gear every week through your garrison.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 18, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Flesh Forge posted:

I didn't say no one enjoys this, I'm saying the proportion of people who do not want an automatic level-scaling system so they can spend hours smushing things 50 levels lower than them as their core game activity is a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction. These people aren't zero, but they aren't something you should be building your core features for either, and sidekicking/mentoring should be a core feature in online RPGs produced these days. I'm pretty sure there is some way to still let the guy who has JUST GOTTA take his level 500 uberswordman and kill stuff in the newbie area all day do his thing, and also let normal people of mismatched level brackets still play together.

In a thread devoted to making fun of antiquated concepts like the 40 man raid and the ~~HARD CORE~~ gaming mindset, here we are having this conversation :allears:

You haven't been arguing for sidekicking / mentoring, which is indeed rad and makes Rift very fun with low level friends, you have been arguing for making open world zones as challenging at max level as they were when you went through them the first time. There's no reason that a level twenty orc should take as long to kill when you are twenty levels above it as it did the first time you fought it solely for the sake of making it take longer to mine a copper or whatever.

edit: Think of Mag'har / Kurenai rep in WoW, which at release required killing thousands and thousands of non-trivial ogres. In a system where they are the same difficulty no matter what level you are, in ten years it would take just as long to get Mag'har / Kurenai rep as it did on release just to get the cosmetic rewards. At least being able to stomp the hell out of mobs that were max-level in old expansions means that it isn't completely deprecated - new players can and do kill ogres for the mounts.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 18, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Saxophone posted:

I think the real takeaway here is that different people play the game in different ways and enjoy different things AND THAT IS NOT loving OK.

It's perfectly okay, I play GW2 which scales people by zone they are entering and other MMOs which do not and both are fun. Some people are really mad that people are suspicious of the idea that it should take the same time and effort to grind ogres in 2015 that it took in 2005 though.

cthulhoo posted:

luckily companies who know their poo poo better than armchair game designers itt invent better rewards to engage people w/ obsolete content i.e. stuff like raiding with leashes instead of asking them to grind on some ~nontrivial~ ogre from a godforsaken 10 year old raid

which is a cool and good thing imo

This is wildstar we are talking about here, they are always going to pick the hardcore option. In fact, in Wildstar, it is going to take longer to grind out ogres from 10 years ago and when you do Timetraveler is going to post a gif of someone cheating at pong.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Carbine finally announced the "special surprise" that was supposed to follow after the long maintenance. I hope you guys are ready, this is going to turn the tables on the TROLLS and HATERS who are giving wildstar one star yelp reviews.

quote:

We made an emergency comm call to Mondo Zax to create something special for our WildStar community to make up for the recent maintenance downtimes. Several hours of maniacal laughter and bizarre science later, that special something arrived: a unique vanity pet for all of our active players. The Zax abides!

That's right, this cute little Enhanced Pumera will appear in your account inventory following tonight's maintenance. You'll be letting the cyborg cat out of the space-bag in no time!

To keep up to date on WildStar maintenance, be sure to follow our Ops Twitter Account. And once you adopt your enhanced pumera, share your screenshots on the @WildStar Twitter and Facebook feeds!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Evil Mastermind posted:

WildStar is a national treasure.

quote:

The subscription model isn't the problem... millions of players are willing to pay monthly for a game they like.

The game isn't the problem... look how much praise the game gets from being great and improved.

So what does that leave? I'm not going to say it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Verranicus posted:

Haha where is that quote from?

The F2P thread on the wildstar forums. It's great. The yelp reviews thing is even better:

quote:

(Super long "What if an MMO is like a hotel and has good breakfast but a bad valet???" analogy snipped) -msw
If Wildstar in its current state was worth 15$ a month, people from other MMOs would be flocking to it. If it was hands down, the best hotel to stay at, people would flock to it.
The people (subscribers) have spoken. It is not.

quote:

At the risk of upsetting your colorful analogy, WildStar has had the equivalent of a Yelp-war waged on it since the week of launch.
It might be the best drat hotel on the freaking PLANET, but thanks to them making people upset a year ago, this hotel (despite it's four-star rating) has been held hostage by the internet trolls and haters.
In short, for all the lovely landscaping, workout room, valet service, continental breakfasts and cable channels, this hotel will never again be as popular as it should be, due to poor reviews that started 12 months ago. This hotel might have cleaned up every single thing that irritated those first visitors after it opened it's door, but many people will never know, because they won't come and visit so long as the hotel won't let them in for free.

The next big thing is apparently the loot from "Contracts." People are alleging that Carbine advertised it as equal to starting-level raid gear, and it has the same ilvl as starting level raid gear, but statwise it is outclassed by drops from dungeons. :smaug:

CoffeeBooze posted:

I know an Olivar quote when I see one.

Close, it was Lethality!

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 19, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

mushroom_spore posted:

That said I'm assuming "super casual" means "don't care about raiding" (I don't either) cause that is apparently where the worst poo poo is. Although having just googled it there was apparently a patch some months ago so that now you only have to complete dungeons instead of speedrunning them or whatever to get raid attuned. I guess that's better? Like I said, I don't know anything about that part of the game.

The 5-man dungeons require you to discuss what the interrupt rotation is going to be since all five people need to interrupt.

It requires you to discuss this because otherwise you will wipe to the trash, which requires interrupts and has 'interrupt armor'.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Xavier434 posted:

They shortened the boring island zone that you are talking about by quite a bit.

With said, someone needs to quote more Wildstar spergs or something so we can get back to what this thread does best.

Why am I doing more damage than new players when I am in full endgame raid gear and they are below max level in questing greens???? CASUAAAAALS

quote:

Dungeons do not need to be nerfed. Players need to be ready for dungeons. When I do queue, I'm in DS gear so I can't dps as much as I would like due to the tank being in Lvl 48 greens and having 25k health as a tank. Can't expect to breeze through a dungeon in that case. Same for healer and dps. When I do tank, and doing as much dps in tanking as dps, than something is wrong with the dps and hard to approach them and ask them if their build is right or gearing up correctly without them getting butthurt.

Hmmm, why would someone compare a 5 man dungeon in one game to a 5 man dungeon in another? Detective Wildstar must know!

quote:

Problem with nerfing normal kv and stl is that, what are we supposed to do while leveling? I for example basically only run those dungeons for a good portion of my leveling, if they'd be easier they'd loose their replayability very quickly.
You compare Deadmines and STL, why not compare Shiphands and Deadmines? Shiphands are instances and now also in the LFG.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Does that free 10 day trial for old subscribers still exist? Maybe I should martyr myself by logging in and seeing if they've fixed the weird crashes.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

quote:

57 pages and still not a single word from Carbine on the subject. It's quite disappointing to watch them let their game fall to pieces while they suck up every cent they can get. The integrity is gone. TimeTravel needs to find a studio that will appreciate his abilities and the rest of the studio should start thinking about career changes.

WildStar user to be so proud... now it's just confused.

quote:

I loved WildStar, and as much as I'll keep fighting for it's population, deep down I'm ready for this game to die so the talent can go where it's potential will be set free. Why? They listened to the wrong people, started giving handouts and nerfing content. Let a single class reign supreme for nearly a year without EVER nerfing it, just more reworks. Every addition to the game for the last 3 drops has been to appeal to the "5 minute gamer".

Yes, I consider myself hardcore.
Yes, I think casual content ruins games.
And yes, I think WildStar is the perfect example of that.

quote:

The ONLY thing they've done since launch that can even vaguely be considered hardcore is the introduction of these exceptional runes and only because it take so long to get a set; no difficulty involved.

So I ask you, where/when have they ever listened to the hardcore crowd since launch. You can stop with that hypocritical BS when you realize how wrong you are.

quote:

Another huge misconception from the misinformed. Never once have I ever been told how I should play, outside of being told that a ceryain fight requires interrupts or a CC break, which by no means is unreasonable.

Really, all I want to see is one drop aimed at us. You all.claim that WS caters to the hardcore but in reality it's the exact opposite. I'm not knocking what you are choosing to do, I'm knocking the lack of relevant content.

Guys, we've got it all wrong. Wildstar is the most casual game on the market. Wrap it up, Aurinailures.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Byolante posted:

If you want CC and a challenge sub wow for a month and work your way through getting gold on all the challenge mode dungeons!

[Attunement is] not an arbitrary step.

First of all, if you enjoy the content of WildStar at all, then it's simply more of that. Secondly, it provides a sense of progression and accomplishment along with the narrative, so once you;re finally attuned, it means much more. Not to mention, your guild will be working better as a team - a requirement for WildStar raiding that really doesn't apply to those other games you mentioned.

If you're a player looking for an equal or easier loot train than the one you're already on, I suggest WildStar is not that train.

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. - Thomas Paine

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Byolante posted:

I hope that was a troll post because if not :catstare:

I enjoyed doing the CMs because it was a group of friends pushing each other to play at our best. I stopped playing wow because 20 mans had enough people I didn't want to spend time gaming with that it made me reconsider what I wanted to get out of my free time. Now I play dota with the people I did CMs with and we are having fun again!

defining your mmo experience by the loot you get is a fast track to disappointment. You should really be defining it about the fun times you have with people you enjoy playing videogames with, the loot just helps you have more fun times!

The way I find it fun is the way it was designed. There are plenty more of me out there, and all they have to do is methodically pull them in.

Something tells me a 3 million sub loss with yesterdays no flying announcement is going to point a lot of people in this direction.

WildStar needs to stay WildStar. The players are coming.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

This dude runs a podcast about crowfall in his off time complaining about casuals and bads and whiny babies trying to infiltrate his manly man game. I love the wildstar F2P thread.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Minrad posted:

I never got the appeal of player housing. Hell, wow's take on it is killing their game. Guild housing is cool, though.

That's actually the one area where Wildstar is better than other games on the market, because their housing actually has stuff to do besides design it. You can add daily quests to your plot, etc. Well that's my "compliment Wildstar" quota for the week.

Chomp8645 posted:

Never really did much for me either. In what way is WoW's housing "killing their game" though?

I suspect an exaggeration.

What you can do in the Garrison (get gold, crafting mats) is easier and more lucrative than trying to do it in the world, and if you are lazy you can get tier-you've-played+1 raid tokens without leaving. The things that actually require you to leave the Garrison (Reputations, Apexis Dailies, etc) aren't worth doing even if they offer something you can't get just by logging into the Garrison for about four minutes a night.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 26, 2015

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

onesixtwo posted:

no see, the gcd is 1.5 seconds and this is unacceptable because

I leveled a warrior in rift recently because of the 1.5 second gcd. It was very relaxing.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I want Wildstar to succeed because I like "sci-fi wow" and the cartoony aesthetic and would waste time on this game if they ever fix the developers attitudes.

I've been playing Rift lately and, is it just me, or is Rift basically what Wildstar wanted to be in terms of difficulty but better? There's always stuff for casual players to do but even their new version of LFR has one-hit-kill mechanics.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I'm p. convinced that even if Wildstar becomes a decent game, the fanbase is going to discourage people from trying it again.

"Hey, I hear Wildstar implemented some cool changes, I should see what they are. Better load up the official forums and check the active threads."

quote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. We're playing a game here, not waiting for our allowances. GO PLAY! Why keep, not only yourself, but everyone around you miserable with incessant complaints of, "they won't give me stuff," rather than playing the game to get the stuff.

My brother joined a soccer team when he was younger. He never went to practice and only showed up at games to sit on the bench and eat the team snacks. At the end of the season, they gave him a trophy. That's what this feels like, the lazy sitting around waiting to be handed progression rather than actually trying to experience it. The problem is, they've been given so many trophies for nothing in the past that they actually feel entitled to it... for no reason other than, "I'm here."

quote:

Yeah, we're in the "No Child Left Behind" era.

Especially with video games. Thank you PS2 with "cheats" as a default menu option in video games, and Mario Bros Wii that completes the level FOR YOU when you die enough.

quote:

If the game turns into a casual handout of progression then I feel zero desire to stay for the next few years. It's not saving the game, it's giving it some painkillers before it finally croaks. It is a diamond in the rough and you wanna turn it into another rock.

quote:

Nothing I'm saying is remotely deceitful. I'm countering the claim that Carbine was focused on hardcore content to the exclusion of casuals. Leveling is content.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Asimo posted:

I really, really wanted to like Secret World, but I couldn't even get past the tutorial. I'm not even sure why, it isn't even bad, just... super dull gameplay.

I had fun until I got to the first instance that required doing a jumping puzzle and then I noped out. The only MMO with decent jumping puzzles is GW2, trying to jump around like an idiot in Secret World felt super sluggish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

croutonZA posted:

I'm going to miss quotes like this when this game inevitably gets tossed on NCSoft's big pile of shutdown MMOs.

There is always Crowfall, my friend.

• Locked thread