Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hooman posted:

Queensland is literally the Capital Wasteland.

Full of mutants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ScreamingLlama posted:

Well, at least you're not calling the Australian Democrats right-wing anymore. IT WAS ALL MEG LEES' FAULT I KEEP TELLING YOU

Here's a update on the Dems' deregistration issue, straight from national president Darren Churchill:

The problem was further compounded by the faction issue: the members of the breakaway faction apparently let their membership in the party proper lapse.

Keep us posted - it'll be interesting to see what happens with another alternative party in Australia. The more alternatives the better, maybe it'll sink in to people that we're not the US and it's not a two horse race.

I'll still be voting green though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just saw the Advertiser in the break room at work and there is no back page today - instead it's a full page ad for a betting company. Journalism!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

So latest polls show that both Abbott and Shorten are disliked equally by the public.

Time to start the leadership rumour mill for both parties

How anyone could look at Tony Abbott's leadership and think "I need to do that too!" is beyond me. Even the Liberal party doesn't agree with Tony half the time.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

freebooter posted:

I might be a bit late for HECS chat, but - is it really that outrageous a notion that we make people pay back their student loans? I know Tone's generation got free education, but the only thing that really bothers me about that is that they've not only pulled up the rope but have then attacked my generation for being "entitled."

I'm not much of an economist, and I consider myself a lefty, but on a fundamental level I don't have an issue with the state providing kids with an interest-free loan which they only have to pay back once they start earning a certain amount. My own experience with HECS kicked in for the first time in the financial year before last, when I earned 55 grand before tax and the result of that was that I didn't get any tax back, and owed the ATO $200, because of my HECS debt. I grumbled about it, but was well aware that it was more than fair. $200 over the course of a year is gently caress all, and I was living a pretty good life. If I wasn't earning that much, I wouldn't be paying the HECS.

The state (the people) provided me with an education, and if said education manages to net me an entry-level job where I earn 55 grand a year, I think it's eminently fair and reasonable for me to pay the state (the people) back. Isn't it?

While a free education would be ideal, I have no issue with the HECS system as it currently works. The current debate is about getting Australians who have emigrated to pay back their loans. While ideally they would, the costs of chasing them down far outweigh the benefits of getting that debt back. I don't think anyone here is against HECS as a system, just the changes the Libs want to bring in (higher Uni costs, deregulation of Uni costs, government covers less).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

QUACKTASTIC posted:

"I am a sailor who has spent 20 years on boats. If I find a boat adrift, I'm sorry, but I don't turn away.

"I intervene to help people at sea. I don't know if this reflects my Italian culture but I do know it is international law.

"A vessel in difficulty, whether it is a boat full of migrants or a merchant ship, has to be assisted."

:zpatriot:

I wonder how the more seasoned members of our Navy feel about the current policy.
E:

Shouldn't that be "would"?

E again: whoops, read it, never mind.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Think Bandt's gonna win it. Might be just because he's in the seat of Melbourne but I see him on the news and the like a lot more often, a lot more visible.

Who's the current deputy?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hooman posted:

Please put this in all future OPs. Thanks.

Doesn't include Criag, 0/10

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

Do they even need a leader?

They require a leader at least in a spokesperson manner - having the ticker say "<Party> Leader" means you're speaking for the party rather than "<Party> Member". Imagine if the Libs didn't have a leader and Bernardi gave lots of press conferences :allears:

Greens members, is the reason there weren't leaks and the like due to Milne retiring peacefully or the leadership role in the more democratically spread Greens party not meaning much? To anyone except SHY, that is.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

Interesting, especially since they have a member in the Victorian Upper House

I guess at the state level they're still okay?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I may be an over-sensitive lefty but isn't referring to a gay person as "a gay" really offensive?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just checking :)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There are companies operating in Australia physically that don't pay tax. Online services are run from remote locations under different governments. I'd rather focus on the companies that are here and should pay tax before international companies.

Do we pay some sort of US sales tax in the base price of Netflix because it's based there?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Scott Morrison digs in the knife

*snrk*

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Stoca Zola posted:

At some point in the late 80s maybe year 5 or 6 for me, we did some typing lessons and played Grannies Garden on whatever computers we had at my primary school. I didn't see a computer as a student again until 1995 when I started uni; my first programming class we learned C but we did so from watching someone explain things using an overhead projector with transparencies, I think we only got to the computer pool once or twice for that subject. I'm glad they're at least trying to formalise what the expectations are on what kids should be learning and when they should know it by, because it's been left very loose before now and to me seemed to largely rely on what staff were available. No IT competent staff = no IT classes.

Hell yeah Grannies' Garden. I used to wow the other kids on the C64 since I had one at home and could - get this - type with two fingers, doubling my speed. We did a bit of basic programming on that. High school was more about using computers for some basic web surfing, email and making pretty documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

markgreyam posted:

As someone who resides/bides time waiting for a chance to escape from/suffers in Adelaide, I'm jealous that I can't even enter into "Whose city is better" arguments. Even I wouldn't believe me.

On the plus side I have this page to myself to list all the good things about Adelaide.

Adelaide rocks fool, we don't need traitors like you bringing us down. It's people like you that make gigs skip us to go to Perth t:mad:

• Locked thread