Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cat Terrist posted:

Roadkill is better than Top Gear.

Roadkill is some ways better. The two normal guys are good together. I also have been watching dirt every day.

It's like redneck top gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I hate you fuckers. All I want to do the rest of the day is watch Roadkill and Dirt Every Day.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ferremit posted:

Its sunday, whys this idea such a problem?

I think ive finished the bits on the house i need to do for the interem, gotta service the better halfs car this arvo but for now its music and relaxing.

Its Saturday in the states....

Also I'm in for bottle openers.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Just drive it without the turbo

Could you imagine how loving slow that thing would be?

Comedy option: go find a big gently caress off turbo from a bus and jam it in.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well, the marriage licence is filed. 25 days till I get to marry a pretty drat cool gal. We have had our share of ups and downs, but she knows me all to well. And I know her all to well... But we still try to find something new about each other to keep it fun.

2015 is shaping out to be alright.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
4.9 liters of fury? The no-starts, when they are working correctly, are pretty bad rear end engines. But keeping them running...... gently caress that.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Do I look like a middle school drop out on welfare to you? No looting for me.

Ahhh.... I am not even going to go there.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Adiabatic posted:

In other news, I came home today to find my roommate eating an iguana:

I heard it tastes like chicken. But so does alligator, and various other critters that aren't very describable.... but it always tastes like chicken.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mariooncrack posted:

Chicken is pretty bland when it isn't seasoned.

gently caress unseasoned chicken. I had an ex gf that used to eat that all the time. She would eat that and white rice... Id rather go hungry.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've come to about the same conclusion. Very very little interest in getting married and no interest at all in having kids. Marriage, well the second income and tax breaks would be pretty sweet. My parents laugh and say someday I'll change my mind, maybe they're right but so far it's a big nope.

You know, after I went through a divorce, I said screw it, not getting married again. Dated here and there but it was always batshit crazy chicks. Then I met the girl I am now marrying. We have had our ups and downs, but we both know we aren't soul mates or anything like that, but are drat good friends, drat good lovers and we fit together well.

She lets me have ridiculous poo poo, She does what she wants, its quite nice. She knows some stuff about my hobbies, but isn't all jealous when I want to go out to the garage and beat on something. She just asks that I wash up before I go to bed.

Edit: she does ask that she has a moderately priced practical sedan. And we haven't made any major purchases lately mostly because we are trying to save up for a big down payment on a home. We even have similar tastes in homes, and agree that a huge home for 2 people is a little ridiculous, but we want something decent sized enough to raise a kid or two, if we ever do cross that bridge.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 7, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MustardFacial posted:

Now that it's been sunny for a week and the ground is dry, its time to start renovating the yard. Step 1: fix the sunken spot in the driveway and prep the ground to widen/extend it.

Heavy machinery is tits.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Build a cycle car first. That's my project to see how I want dip into building a tube chassis. I have a couple of ideas though, CSB has seen them.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's one option I'm looking at. Something like a bike powered Lotus 7. Between various forums people are always selling not completed projects for the price of materials or less.

I have been kicking around the idea of doing something powered with a 750-1000 cc engine. But I'm going to do a cycle car first powered with a B&S 13 HP motor first, then figure out what I did wrong or could do better then build a tube chassis.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah I'm at 5.62% on my first and 8.375% on my 2nd. I've done the math, I'm making out really good on this deal. Going from sub-prime sucker to smart with money. And as for down payments, I'm talking about selling and buying a new place, 5-10 years from now. I could keep this place as a rental but I'm pretty sure I don't want to play landlord.

Landlord seems to be fun at first, but then all the nightmares associated with it if you have terrible renters. And tenant-landlord laws can vary by state, but as long as the tenants continue to pay, there is not a ton as a land lord you can really do. (this is greatly summed up, but the gist of it)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I hate everyone and everything.

ddddaaaaww, we hate you too :)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its a sign that I most likely need a new job when I tell middle level managers to gently caress off? Because they wanted a train to pick up cars that didn't have enough horsepower to make the hill... And my quote "yeah you can gently caress off pushing that thing up a hill" and hung up.

I'm for further education, but when you don't know how to do my job (let alone never pulled a cut lever) then don't tell me how to do it. Bunch of educated morons. (This is just common sense poo poo)

Thanks... Done venting.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

There's a guy in the news who refused to get insurance since he was healthy (read: has unmanaged diabetes, but no real consequences) and it looks like he's going to lose his eye since his retina detached. He has since tried to sign up for insurance under the PPACA, but enrollment has already passed, and his state, South Carolina, has refused federal money for healthcare expansion (subsidies, Medicare, etc). He currently has a GoFundMe campaign to raise 30k.

Best health care system in the world.

OBAMA CARE! HE TOOK OUR JERBS! INSERT OTHER ANGRY WHITE PEOPLE RHETORIC!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

Gonna need more legalized weed to make it through the next 10 years rest of American politics.

FTFY

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
All this med chat makes me depressed. I just want a nice garage to build stupid cars, weld and machine things.... Is that to much to ask for
Oh wait... Land prices are loving astronomical. :sigh:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Not in Indiana.

I mean yeah, there's toxic waste but who cares about that when you have concrete to protect you?

Its Indiana.... And it sounds like people from Indiana are bat poo poo crazy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Yes but if you get enough land you can put up fences and keep other people away.

Electrified fences. With black jack... and hookers.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

I might toss in the 928 but I'm trying to get a E24 M6/M635CSi to use instead.

Do em all. Old German cars with quirky electronics and questionable timing belts.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I'm not in a huge hurry, so keeping an eye out for that must-have deal while my savings grow. If I can put down $10k, and have another $10k or so leeway for the immediate repairs that one always finds in a cheap house, I'll be comfortable.

I am personally looking near the Ames area, but in the small towns around it. There has been some drat good deals lately, there was a nice 3 bed 2 bath with a 3 car garage for sale in Huxely for 140,000. And the garage had plenty of electrical service.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Fuel pump number 2, but I am much better at dropping the tank this time around.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I figure between half of the Golf and flipping a finished Civic I might have about $5000 to play with so I might seriously look into that minivan or a wagon or something.

So you have become a mom. :sigh:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tide posted:

I flag him down and plead that YOU ARE RIGHT HERE. IT'S SIXTY FEET AWAY. Says ATT won't let him, and I'll have to wait until the scheduled appointment. Beg for a new network access gateway. Can't get one.

loving fucks.....

Not sticking up for these guys, but a friend is a tech for Mediacom here, he says he if goes beyond what his work order says, he gets bitched at for doing extra work. Plus they have tattlers in the trucks, they are so micro managed its a joke. So he just does what he is told to do and does no more. He feels like a dick when he can't do anything, but its the way they want to run the company.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tide posted:

I get that, I really do. There's likely a liability provision in place. But IF he called in to see if he could go ahead and attend to service and they said no? Thats lovely.

Plus I would expect that they would have a system in place that would align techs with other houses in the same area; especially for a house in between two other houses with the same reported issue.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit for a relatively simple system in place.

He used to call it in, but they always make him schedule it out (2-3 days) even if his work order is completely finished, they don't allow it. It could be different for AT&T, but thats what he has to deal with it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
New pump in, changed the spark plugs and wires....

Jump in to fire it up and the battery is about dead, no biggie, I don't drive it much just put the charger on it. Let it charge for 5 hours and it barely turns over. I unhooked the battery cables and I watch my volt meter dropping slowly. loving a.... Luckily boat battery was near by... So now the rover has a deep cycle battery.... gently caress it, its staying in there.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

Motherfucker. At some point in the last few months, the circuit to the Midget's fuel pump was broken. The headlights also seem to be affected.

Lucas electrics, British engineering at its finest. BTW - your car looks fantastic with the yellow paint. Nice work.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That's why we have the Ignore button. For boring goons that can only talk about Miatas and motherboard numbers in the Misc Chat thread.

Because some people aren't interested in chronic drinking, your idiot co-workers/boss, splashing people, poor money skills, etc.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I like roadkill and dirt every day. This is the poo poo I would do if I had unlimited time and money.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BraveUlysses posted:

I only get 10 days of sick leave per year, and at the end of the year the company will take half of whatever is left and bank the other half. Therefore, I use it all up every single year.

As much as my place loves to steal from us (and we are contractually supposed to get paid for it), I never let them have paid time off from me.

And I don't care if I am lazy, Americans work way to drat hard and skip vacations thinking it will get them ahead, which is silly logic. Being burnt out from work will just make poor quality work.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

go3 posted:

Like half the people I know are in the same boat because this was their first oil boom/bust cycle as an adult and they thought everyone was lying when we'd say how fast and how ugly it can get. :(

CommieGIR posted:

I love the people that rushed out and bought SUVs and Trucks as soon as gas prices tanked. Like it was going to stay that way or something :allears:

The railroad is the same way, we hired people, poo poo was super busy, every one was making money so they run out and buy 60K diesel pickups and now its slow and slightly soft, and they are all sorts of worried that they are going to get laid off. Its not like all the people here always say "dont buy anything expensive the first 5 years"

Boom and bust jobs are hell.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Hey man, I need a 4000 square foot mcmansion, five ATVs, a snowmobile, a dirtbike, and a dually diesel pickup with a light bar and a two foot lift because I work in the oilfield!!! Don't judge me.

Lets be honest, a man only needs 3 ATV's. 5 is just for show.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Fox bodies are just stupid expensive, and to get a decent non clapped out example in the midwest is a 10k all day long. I wouldn't mind the next gen model, but you can't cram to much power into those 4.6 units, with out some cash.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I would pick up a 4 banger, but those are starting to creep into expensive territory as well. Its getting silly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Mmmmmmayb.

It also doesn't help that a previous landlord tried to sue me because the foundation of the house we rented CRACKED and it was obviously my fault for having heavy poo poo.

Maybe its because you were fat. Fatty fat fat.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Mat_Drinks posted:

Happy Friday y'all!

I'm psyched, I've got today through Tuesday off. Today is my wife's birthday so I woke up early and got us all donuts from the best place in town. Later I'm going to call my insurance company and have them give me insurance quotes on possible (bad) car purchases. Let's see what an M, F, AMG, or 9 does to those rates! I think I'll price a few new American V8s too while I'm at it. :getin:

AMG seems to be genuinely higher in price compared to stuff from the ///M warehouse. Id love to get into one of those new Chevrolet SS sedans, the 6.2 is a hell of a power plant.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Mat_Drinks posted:

So they're generally pretty highly priced then? That's good to hear as while it wasn't crazy high (to me at least) in terms of my budget and what I'm willing to pay for insurance on a car. It'll be a good rolling comparison as I continue shopping.

I haven't actually driven anything yet and have just been window shopping so I haven't had a chance to measure softness/hardness. I'm also not looking at the latest models of anything non american either as my price cap is $40k which I don't think is even enough to buy an M2?

That budget puts you squarely into a late model very gently used M3 if that what trips your trigger. If you want though, a brand new Mustang GT that is pretty spec'ed out would be around 40ish, but with some decent incentives, it could drive that price down a little.

I am not a huge new Camaro fan, I like more glass than the periscope that they give you in the Camaro.

Edit: huh, the Camaro 2SS package is about the same as the Mustang in high spec package. Both cars give you a ton of value for 38k.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
the pick up truck itch is starting again. There is a guy with a 94 C1500 with a 6.5 NA diesel and a 5 speed for sale for 1400 bucks. But as much as I would love a diesel, I don't have the tools, or the knowledge of diesels to really make it a go. So I think its a brick nose Ford is what I will be searching for.

• Locked thread