Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Foppery posted:

Rock, punk and folk will never die as long as there are lonely white teenagers

Also Sufjan Stevens is pretty good but overrated

Punk is my favorite kind of music because half of it is about not getting laid and then another quarter is about jobs and either hating them or not having them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can we close the Jesus thread for real

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nutranurse posted:

note that kotch also has very very very different meanings depending on context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sPPxzZnETQ

I am pro booty dancing women

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwbGjzF3mB0

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pretend I just linked every Five Iron Frenzy song

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nutranurse posted:

its a good thing that twerking has entered mainstream

i would like anyone who is not pro booty dancing women in this thread to come forward now so that we might shame them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Literally The Worst posted:

pretend I just linked every Five Iron Frenzy song

in case anyone was wondering what's worse than grown rear end adults playing ska, it's grown rear end adults playing christian ska

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

this is a Christian server

we hail Satan on this server

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Berke Negri posted:

ac tually, i dont believe in satan

its okay, because Satan in his infernal gayness believes, in you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
today i learned TVIV has their own power rangers/super sentai thread which somehow manages to be worse than the ADTRW general toku thread

it's a christmas miracle

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Armani posted:

She's a woman who posted here before.

Her trying to induce her own abortion, because she couldn't get it legally, is heartbreaking. She's had a rough life :smith:

This makes the whole "I just sucked it up so everyone should" thing even more baffling, you'd think that'd be the point where you go "poo poo nobody should have to do this"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Small Frozen Thing posted:

ADTRW trip report: I just saw a thread where Dickeye was the most reasonable and least skeevy poster
I've decided there will be no more ADTRW trips

Uhhhhhhhh toku thread? That's the only thread I really post in. I love shows w/ dudes in spandex punching each other.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
One time I got in trouble in the toku thread for being mean to awful forums poster Jivjov who's a mouthbreather who thinks that not translating shows that are in a foreign language is a good thing for someone who is translating that show to do

By one time I mean multiple times there's a reason I don't post in ADTRW anymore

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

wait what? when, how ,why?

which part

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

the part about how translators shouldn't translate shows. I've seen stupid poo poo in ADTRW but not something that stupid.

TVnihon is a famous sub group that is noted for being really bad at translating and leaving a bunch of poo poo untranslated because well here have their leader's own actual words

quote:

Japanese in subs: The problems with cultural whitewashing

Submitted by takenoko on Thu, 03/03/2011 - 11:03
The importance of Japanese in translations for Japanese shows thread

So last week some guy was mad at me for some reason in the Gokai 2 release thread. In it, he suggested that the Medals be translated instead of using stuff like Taka and Tora and Batta and stuff. It seemed strange to me, since even if you don't know Japanese, it can't be that confusing to keep track of which Medal goes with which animal.

It was suggested that people would learn better by having the translation each time, a reenforcement of the meanings. And that makes sense, but it would seem to me that you'd learn a Japanese word better if you saw the Japanese phrasing. People more than likely know animal names like "hawk, tiger, grasshopper", it's the Japanese that they need practice on. Even if you missed a note, I'm sure you can infer "that's a bird" or "that has tentacles", it must be this animal. There's nothing wrong with saying there's a slight bump in the learning curve that one must overcome. I mean, you're watching a Japanese show with subtitles and not a dub or English remake for a reason, right?

Plus it's more fun to leave it in Japanese. Taka Medal, Taka Can. Plus the songs are done based on the Japanese names. What would you have instead for Hawk, Tiger, Grasshopper? Would the song need to be translated next? Hatigra combo?

I want to give you tools so that you can enjoy these shows, but I don't want to make the shows something they're not. There are a lot of problems with shoehorning one culture's thing into another's. Something is always lost. And to some extent, this is a sort of censorship of the original culture.

A real good example of this is the first book for Harry Potter. In Britain it's called The Philosopher's Stone, referring to the famous thingy that is a philosopher's stone, something that was a thing. You can Google "philosopher's stone" and find references to it that aren't Harry Potter. For America, it was dumbed down to Sorceror's Stone? You Google "sorceror's stone" and only get Harry Potter results. And this sort of thing is done throughout the book; there's probably a list of the changes somewhere. In any case, I'd rather read the original British book and stumble on the quirky differences between our language (and y'know, maybe look up something every once in a while) than read something that was changed because some guy thought kids couldn't handle "philosopher's stone". I mean, do you really want other people filtering the content for you? This is the kind of thing that happens when people take liberties with the original material. They change stuff around and make stuff up.

Is this stuff necessarily bad? Not exactly. I watched the Yu-gi-oh dub and enjoyed it. But I'm sure that the questionable content was cut out and certain references to the occult were cut out. Heck, didn't they even redo the animation so there was exposed bosom on the female characters? It's fine to enjoy the end result, but you have to admit that you're watching something removed from the original work. Sort of like watching a theater cut and a director's cut. People are probabaly going to have their preferences

Well, we try to preserve the cultural stuff. That's not to say we make things purposefully awkward. I really like gonig back and forth with QC to try to find a good medium ground. I don't want to cut something out entirely because it might challenge the viewers. I want to believe that you guys are smart and that you guys are learning a lot of interesting stuff by watching our subs.

cultural whitewashing

Fun fact at the time this was posted there was a group doing exactly what this guy went "what's the alternative???" about and that group is v good almost like you should actually loving translate poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kustomkarkommando posted:

cow on crack was the one that posted that thread at christmas about stalking someone wasn't he?

Yes he was!

Like someone said in Jesusthread, he should never stop posting, because it's time where he isn't stalking that girl

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

lol, okay that's dumb. Did anyone agree with them?

Did anyone agree that you should preserve the culture of Glorious Nippon, he asks (yes, they have a ton of defenders, including Jivjov)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

cow on crack also believes mental illness isn't real iirc

CowOnCrack posted:

There is no such thing as a disorder of the mind

CowOnCrack posted:

Yes there are things called drugs which can gently caress with you. And they are bad for you, always. Psychiatry is institutionalized drug addiction escapism with a lie of bullshit scientific credentials sold to the public and to certain lazy parents specifically. Step right up, we've got the cure for your sons sin right here! Clearly, I should have never been given them or encouraged to take them to regulate myself. A drug dependency mentality was literally loving forced on me. That's what psychiatry is. Clueless parents literally loving TURNING their helpless children into meth addicts instead of disciplining them. And the psychiatrists are selling a permanent lifelong subscription service. There is no recovery from 'mental illness.' After all, your brain is broken - wired wrong.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Badger of Basra posted:

didn't he make his own thread about it though?

Yep

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you should have included the whole thing because the closing thing and the second paragraph are also lol

Fathers, discipline your children.
Wives, submit to your husbands.
Husbands, love your wives as Christ loves the Church.
Children, honor your parents.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

Well that's weird, because I'm pretty sure most of the posters I'm familiar with would call that retarded as all hell. Maybe it is just people I never interact with?

Oh, no, not on here, I thought you meant in general. No, most of the toku thread is fans of Over-Time, who do the newer shows, and the groups like MillionFold Curiosity or Grown-Ups in Spandex who sub the older shows. In general, on the internet, yes, people are loving weeblords.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

lol I wanted to say he believed that mental illness is caused by literal sin and demons as well but I couldn't quite remember for sure.

he has literally the same position on this as the CoS

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

V. Illych L. posted:

there is a semi-legitimate school of thought that says "be really careful about pathologising mental deviancy", but CowOnCrack is just either insane or trolling

i used to think he was trolling, but i'm currently tending towards him just being crazy

The stalker thread tipped me off. I can't imagine anyone trolling by making themselves out to be a stalker.

you got them big titty/booty women?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

Okay well Zorak isn't around to be probate you for being mean to Jivjov anymore!

Baal is here to do it now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ZenVulgarity posted:

Do you like people at seventy

lots of big booties at 70 year old

rip

ps hi zen i'm glad to see you posting somewhere that isn't PA

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

dude Beef is chill as gently caress what are you doing to get probated by him?

Being Dickeye as hell about things and stuff

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

I feel like executing the leaders of a resistance movement might be a bit of a bad idea.

I disagree if the goal is to squash resistance

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
convince me not to go to dominoes and get a pizza half off w/ my discount so that i don't have to cook tonight/tomorrow

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

yeah because martyrdom isn't a thing

kill more people. exterminate humanity, imo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

joeburz posted:

it is not good food

neither is yo mama pussy but i eat that poo poo every night

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

What is the most ideologically correct sport?

Mud wrestling

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pangstrom posted:

The most correct sport is tantamount to asking what the least sport-y sport is and thus the answer reveals itself to be ultimate frisbee.

Mud wrestling

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seriously close jesusthread

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I grew up in Syracuse and the north is a desolate shithole of racism but the south is still worse, as someone currently living in the south,

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
jesusthread still poen mods pls correct this oversight

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LorrdErnie posted:

Where in the south if you don't mind saying? I remember it definitely being shockingly worse when I visited Alabama

charlotte. not a bad city overall but nobody can loving drive here.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
every time i pull out of my parking lot i begin screaming incoherently, because i've already almost died four times that trip

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
five people run the red light, and it changes, leaving me to sit through another cycle of the light. three of those people do not have their lights on. its raining at midnight. i long for the sweet cool feeling of a gun pressed to my head

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
a car almost side swipes me making a left hand turn from the center "go straight only" lane. they give me the finger, indignant that i didn't read their mind and know this was their intention and politely get out of their way. this is the fifth time its happened today and i've only been awake for thirty minutes.

a man cuts me off in the parking lot. when i mutter what the gently caress is this rear end in a top hat doing, he begins to follow me, waiting for me to get out of my car. he demands to know what my problem is. this is an actual thing that happened to me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Warszawa posted:

lol mentioned to my dad that i saw mad max, he asked how it was (having seen trailers)

warszawa: "oh it was great - it's pretty interesting how they did so much with so little dialogue. there's really very little said aloud."

popszawa: "that sounds great. who wants to hear people loving talking?"

best dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LorrdErnie posted:

I have only ever been to the IKEA outside of Charlotte but everyone I've ever met from there has said it is poo poo

Also I grew up in Wake and Mecklenburg County provided the model they were using to attempt to resegregate the schools

i've been to that ikea three times. every time, i prayed for a meteor strike.

• Locked thread