Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Randler posted:

Objection! I question this history major's qualification to talk about work.

what a hateful, petty thing to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

wait are you claiming germanic tribes of scandinavia invented stories about dwarves based on the jews of the eastern mediterranean

welcum 2 archetypal theory

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i want to frame this because even though i know how much you troll, there is a minute chance you really might be this stupid and this makes me laugh heartily

migf brings hope into our lives

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the Rembrandt house was a really cool museum to visit

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

to quote another poster's av "OBJECTION!"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

euphronius posted:

In a city council meeting with people arguing about adding streetlights strenuously

I dunno if the municipality was getting fleeced but the thing that slowed down getting streetlights at an intersection near my parents that had half a dozen fatalities in one year was the cost. It was something like $150k to get buy and install them

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

sure they have a set-up cost

maybe if your parents lived in a place with a street grid rather than curvy worvy whindy bendy wendy dead-ends, it wouldnt cost so much

Not even close man

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Tomorrow the people of Texas north will either elect a left leaning government and end 44 years of conservative rule, or prove Canadian polls continue to be poo poo. Either way its gonna be hilarious

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

which one is texas north, alberta or saskatchewan

Alberta the province that abolished its eugenics laws in 1972.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

who's the canpol poster who gets real mad about public transit funding levels in calgary, that guy's a hoot

PT6A?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yessssssssss i've been looking for this video forever

she has a disturbing amount of new recipes on her new channel

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

how can you tax all the carbon that canada and russia gonna fart out? i mean, only the canadians would pay, and theyd pay by privitizing healthcare

it's not up to canada

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
didn't charlie brooker call him "a human sigh"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Warszawa posted:

is h. jon benjamin a better archer or a better bob?

bob

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Majorian posted:

Good reference.

The answer is John McGuirk though.

can't argue with that

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR0v_fF3OYM

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the inside amy schumer 12 angry men parody was excellent

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
don't some people have a gene where cilantro tastes like dish soap to them

thankfully i dont' have it so i can enjoy all the cliantro'd curry i wish

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

literally in the article linked a few posts ago

previous page, didn't read

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

I am repentant for our crimes but I don't think that "Should we have nuked Japan" is a historically resolved issue, as I've heard compelling arguments for both sides

the problem with the debate imo is it's often treated as a seperate issue from strategic bombing, which it shouldn't be as everyone saw the atomic bomb as the logical conclusion to strategic bombing.

which can be a strike against it (strategic bombing's effectiveness is dubious) or for it (it accomplished the intended goal of strategic bombing campaigns by demoralizing the civilian population)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

i just don't see it as that distinct from all the other 100k casualty bombing campaigns we did. As a historical precedent and setting the table for the Cold War and nuclear arms race it was clearly significant but as far as being a uniquely heinous war crime well :shrug:

ya that's my point

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
nuking germany after it surrendered would probably be considered bad form

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

You can't wage war when you have no civilians. In WW2, there were no civilians in Japan or Germany, there were only repressed minorities and fascists.

oh good that has nothing to do with what i said

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the firebombing of japan was unquestionably a war crime

strategic bombing was a war crime in a war full of them

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

Traditional, Christian bombings.

handgrown, organic bombings using local ingredients

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
congrats UK alberta is more progressive than you guys

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNfvJc99YY

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jagchosis posted:

he's gonna resign, labour will elect another leader who has 0 appeal. ask canada, they'll give you the DL on how it works

dion to igantieff was a bad move sure, but then they elected justin trudeau.

so basically after ed millband you'll get russel brand or someone leading labour

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

lol i'd unsarcastically like to see that

I don't know of any attractive, charismatic UK politicians so I threw out the only name I knew.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

our bad, UK goons

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Disinterested posted:

I actually think it's possible our conservatives are still less bad than the canadian ones

yeah hard to say, as our supreme court has struck down a lot of their poo poo laws and a lot of important social welfare powers are in the hands provinces so they can only do so much damage

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

sucks to your census tho

yeah not having a census that is useful is really bad

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the UK election results have me nervous about our own election in the fall.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

congrats on your conservative majority

we already have one, so it's not like it's going to get much worse.

otoh there's a lot of differences between the UK and canada. there shouldn't be renewed interest in the bloc quebecois, the labour leader equivalent isn't hopelessly unappealing, and the left wing party didn't decide to engage in an unholy union with the ruling party, instead they've been the official opposition

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Berke Negri posted:

i went on a date with a mexican from Manchester once, that was a pretty lengthy family story of how that happened

also a weirdly manchesterian year

one thing i discovered from some english ex-pats is that english people think mexicans are basically moon people and love doing incredibly racist impressions of what they think a mexican sounds like

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

i don't wanna interact with more weird anime guys :smith:

You chose the wrong forum to post on then, friendo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

the next leader of the lib dems, everyone

martin freeman?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

ugh ive got that nasheed stuck in my head now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXHnzjIYho this one?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

it's funny how the british like to congratulate themselves for ending the slave trade when the only thing they did was switch out african slaves for indian "indentured labor"

transforming their colonies' agriculture from subsistence to exports and the consequences from that was also really great, rue britannia long live the queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

paranoid randroid posted:

I MAINTAIN that list would have been funnier if it drilled down harder on the bukowski/thompson/mailer/"hell, i take my whiskey straight" angle

honeypot articles like that don't need to be too funny

• Locked thread