Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Shukaro posted:

Literally everything in natura is terribly ugly and pointless.

It is a bad mod.

by and large I agree, but uh, Waluigi like a-purple planks! Wahahaha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Thyrork posted:

On the one hand, that sounds terrible. On the other, if it was some kind of Tiberium/Corruption hybrid super-plant that slowly choked the surface as a consequence of the player's bullshit, that can be combated in various ways (Mostly fire), that would be so very cool. :allears:

a C&C mod based around tiberium poo poo would be awesome all the way around.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Either Modderation: Permabanned or the OMP suite. Check the PGS subforum for more information on both.

Does either have Magical Crops with the MFR compatibility patch yet?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Wait wait so you have a block with more blocks inside it all bag of holding style? That's loving amazing and wonderful. I don't suppose there's a handy way to clone the block once it already has a machine setup in it? Also can I do recursion on that poo poo and have a magic block-with-more-blocks-inside-it inside such a magic block already?

EDIT: Can I put a tesseract inside this magical block?

chairface fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 25, 2015

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Less complaining about ponies more posting cool machines

I've been experimenting with Technomancy since StealthArcher added it to the latest OMP-i, and it's got some pretty neat stuff in it. After a few tests I discovered the Essentia Dynamo produces 96,000 RF per Ignis essentia, which is more than enough to power a galvanized bellows (RF consuming device that fuels alchemical furnaces). Here I've got a glacial precipitator pumping infinite snowballs into the furnace which is melted down into Gelum essentia, centrifuged down into Perditio and Ignis. This is basically a magic reactor that runs on water. The Everfull Urn provides infinite water, so it's upkeepless forever. It looks super cool too! Thaumcraft is spergy but man its blocks do have style.

I love you

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

GotLag posted:

If you don't gate the fun behind ridiculous grind you're not a ~real~ modder.

I liked the ideas and machines in Gregtech (especially the electrolysis), but holy gently caress if the time and material requirements weren't ridiculous. Also his obsession with making the player experience as hostile as possible.

Yeah I really liked his lightning rods and endgame fusion tech and that it was legit hard as poo poo to get enough chromium to do that stuff even in a modpack that otherwise made a lot of poo poo easy. Too bad he was too far up his own rear end to just make that poo poo into a decent mod that meshed well with other tech mods in spirit and scope and scale. :smith:

Also his machines and only his machines giving a poo poo about rain was infuriating.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

For me the infuriating part about Thaumcraft is that Thaumium's so damned useful for Tinker's Construct I'm basically obliged to at least get to Thaumium in the changes-with-every-version research tree that I otherwise don't care about because it's all so goddamn fiddly.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

I feel like a lot of mods offer decent options for weapons, but armor is just vanilla armor with different values. What does an "endgame" armor setup look like in something like Sigma?

The top end magical crops armor is flying, waterbreathing, lavaproof, fireproof, never wears out, uses no energy and offers full armor. I'm pretty fond of it. Note: You WILL need to MFR that poo poo to ever get enough of all the bullshit essences required.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like "Shiny Metal." Why yes metal does, in fact, tend to be shiny. What is special about this variety?

Yes I know that it's actually platinum but it still amuses me. Call the metal shiny to differentiate it from all the non-shiny metal. That there is so much of.

New Ingot type: Malleable Metal.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

President Ark posted:

For growth, plant them on end stone, they grow at an actual semi-sane pace on that instead of "takes literal weeks" you get on dirt.

Is this an always thing and not just for blightfall?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Edminster posted:

THANK gently caress. You also going to fix the vegemite recipe so it allows Natura barley instead of requiring Pam's? As to the hunger length, I think my biggest problem is how incredibly opaque and non-intuitive it is. There's no way short of manually counting in a food journal how far along you are to see how much more variety you need, and even then you have to deal with an already-extant food history so sometimes you find new sources of food that are already partially depleted. It's almost great, but the last couple of flaws are incredibly irritating.

I want this mod and I don't even play packs that have the hunger journal thing. This would be incentive to design a remotely decent kitchen!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

I understand that for practical purposes, TiC is still the weapon mod, but are there any that like... an armory mod I forget the name of try to bring in a similarly diverse group of weapons up to and including firearms? I like minecraft on its own terms well enough and TiC is a mod I really like, but there's something compelling about the idea of having a pump-action shotgun in a game like this. gently caress you, zombies, get off my lawn, click-clack.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Glory of Arioch posted:

do railcraft tanks even hold more than, like, the thermal expansion tanks these days

Who gives a poo poo, they're big and cool looking.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

goodness posted:

Why don't modpacks include a mod that makes boats not break?

That's actually fairly common, in addition to the Greatwood option mentioned already, I can remember having aluminum and carbon fiber boats in various tech modpacks.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

The problem I always had with using the traditional MFR breeder/rancher/chronotyper/slaughterhouse setup was that it always seemed like either my cows were periodically dying due to phasing into walls or else the machines'd get clogged and unlimited cows would wreck the server. It's not any criticism of MFR per se, it's that Minecraft mobs are hosed up to have to deal with in general. Sadly for MFR autospawner purposes you wind up needing SOME manner of essence input and grinding livestock is the easiest way to get it before you can afford a nether star to move a spawner with. Soul Shards 2 can ameliorate that somewhat.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

mr sad posted:

What's a good mod? Like, for me?

I keep trying to jump into mods like Tekkit and Blightfall but they're just so overwhelming.

The appeal of Tekkit is the same appeal as Cookie Clicker, right? Like, it's about getting materials to make machines that are more efficient at getting materials for making more efficient machines. Right? That sounds appealing to me, but I'd prefer something more user-friendly.

The usual answer to this kind of request is Baby's First Space Race since it has a questbook that teaches you a lot of the tech mod crap in an afternoon while handing out resources generously the entire way.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

having a traveler's belt from botania made doing the twilight forest less of a pain travel-wise, but yeah, any sort of flying or whatever would kinda ruin the experience. i had that high-jump rod from botania as well but that didn't exactly let me cheese much if at all. having some quality of life gear is recommended, but anything beyond is just spoiling the fun.

My embarassing Twilight Forest story is getting wrecked by a lich king the first time I flew in wearing my power armor from MPS and expecting the railgun to ruin these fuckers like it did everything else. :( Tconst rapiers and the wands from TForest itself trivialize liches but they still beat me right the gently caress up and blew all my gear to poo poo to rub it in, once.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

I am actually working on a mod at the moment,

The idea is to have teleporter blocks and dimensional transponders for the destinations.

trying to work out how to do the addressing though, I would love to have it like the ender chests so coloring the transponders and transporter blocks for addressing.

Any suggestions would be good.

I really like the idea of it matching the ender chest/tank/etc system, but a possible complication you'd face there is that I can have 20 ender chests with the same combo and that's fine; What happens when I make that third teleporter with the same code? Does it just cycle through matching code locations?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

So how the hell do you host a modded minecraft server with a modpack from Curse Voice? Googling it, I can only find a million threads with people asking for help and recieving nothing except for a 'Thanks for the suggestion but i can't help you bye!' from curse tech support. Curse is terrible.

I too would really like to know how to do this since Curse can't be bothered, apparently.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

I'm gonna be the odd man out and say I like the idea of this otherwise obviously magical redstone stuff also making energy transmission/distribution/balancing Easy. Same with Ender Pearls coming from magical creatures that can teleport and having magical powers as materials related to stuff teleporting or being transmitted long distances effectively.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm the guy who keeps asking stupid questions about old-rear end modpacks. In this case, FTB Monster 1.6.4.

I Really want to make this nether star farm that I've built work. So far everything is great. I've warded everything, the withers spawn perfectly and reliably but the problem I'm having is killing the withers fast enough for it to be worth setting up at all. Currently I'm using Tesla Coils, but they're really slow. At some point in FTB Monster's life, Shock Panels were viable, but they were nerfed enough that they can't damage at any range without being taken out by the wither's explosion, so that's out too. No Draconic Evolution or EnderIO Killer Joe in this modpack, either.

Is there any way to kill the withers quickly? Basically, I'm looking for a way to damage mobs through warded walls, I guess, in ModdedMC 1.6.4.

Thanks a shitload for any suggestions/help. I'm been bashing my had against this wall for far too long.

Sorry don't actually have experience on something like a wither farm but FTB Monster sounds like a pack that'd include MFR; won't the MFR grinder still auto-kill em? Or does it not work on bosses?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

how would one get an absurd number of seeds WITHOUT magic mods, like just with minefactory reloaded + thermal expansion?
Was playing with modderation fyad in creative mode, and even having a cow farm to provide fertilizer and an openblocks sprinkler system nearby wheat just seems to grow really slowly. Seems like a lilypad of fertility or just about any other magic means of growth enhancement would be necessary to get this show on the road, but surely tech mods must have their own ways of doing things. (though this modpack's missing a lot of them)
Just sorta curious since I wanted to see how bee mechanics work, but that includes what infrastructure you're expected to start with... and that infrastructure is apparently "poo poo tons of seeds before you even loving start"

Openblocks Sprinklers are ok, the MFR fertilizer gets it done but is reliant on a moderate supply chain ultimately tied to mobs. Really just shove some size upgrades in a MFR planter/harv combo, make sure you're doing something with the harv sludge and that the soil blocks get irrigated. It'll take it a while, but is a fire-and-forget way to get all the wheat and seeds you want that's MFR+TE. If you've got lilypads of fert or openblocks sprinklers feel free to throw em in but even if I had a MFR fert setup going I wouldn't use the fert on wheat.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Send along all the mistakes. I'm pecking at them right now.

I think I figured out that for advanced players, BFSR is an endorphin generator because it just shits prizes out from all orifices nonstop. It wasn't exactly my plan but I'm taking it was a lesson learned.

Frankly we feel like we've earned it. I mean how many times do I need to spend hours building up enough copper, tin, iron and redstone to accomplish anything? I had the fun there was to be had with that, over and over again already. It's all just delayed creative mode anyway...

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Hey Rocko, throwing this idea out cuz you seem more capable of handling coding for this kinda thing: How about setting up the tutorial world like the alternate dimension in Twilight Forest? No need to futz with the overworld per se, some kinda portal that's easy to make whisks you off to a pre-defined dimension for all your museum/instructional needs. Fits more into the Nether/End portal aesthetic of minecraft and you'd have Twilight Forest's existing stuff to crib from.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Goncyn posted:

Still think the dynamo, energy cell, and gear textures are hella ugly though :D

I understand why the dynamos aren't animated but yeah part of me misses massive arrays of Railcraft boilers and steam engines puffing, pumping and clanking away. A still room full of quiet dynamos purring away so efficiently... it's just not quite the same. Same thing for watching items and power travel in the Buildcraft pipes. It was more of a pain in the rear end to set up, required more (and more expensive) materials to get anything done, and it killed server performance but man did it look cool when it was all going.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

I tried the curse launcher and couldn't figure out how to manage to share a modpack I'd put together so that other people could download it. Is that a thing it does too now or is it still just mostly a handy way to build the pack?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

From my experiences with older versions of GregTech-containing-modpacks, eventually you will build a solar boiler just due to having so much goddamn silver and nothing else to do with it and ANY amount of "free" power sounding attractive.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Huh, for some reason I never thought to use a tank to store steam. I forgot it's treated like any fluid.
I need to rehaul my machine layout anyway.

An emergency railcraft steel tank max size full of steam was my "emergency restart" system for a long time. Stays hot forever and you can pipe it into the system to get power/fuel generation going after a shutdown. 1 Tesseract Channel for Emergency Restart Function is a small price to pay for knowing you can start poo poo up again after your idiot friends blow a hole in the power plant.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

McFrugal posted:

Amps are only dangerous for wires. You must make sure every wire connected to a battery buffer with multiple batteries can handle the amps it's putting out. The 9x battery buffer is a trap, notably. 8x wires can't handle a fully stocked 9x buffer.

If wires get too many amps, they catch fire. That fire will destroy the wires, and potentially light your machines on fire, which will blow up if ignited for too long. Machines blowing up supercharge any wires connecting to them, which then blows up anything connected to the wires... Gregtech LOVES blowing up your entire machine bank because of a single mistake.

My first outing with gregtech I just figured plate rolling machines exploded sometimes cuz I hadn't put together the rain thing and my GT machinebank was partially covered.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Hey so last pack I played and tried this with I couldn't make it work, but you guys are talking about BFSR and new mods. So is there a way to take the O2 from that poo poo and tesseract or ender tank it to a space station or a way to fill spacesuit tanks? I ultimately gave up on bothering with mekanism's crap on that, threw abritrary energy on it, and settled on one cracker for H2 jetpack fuel and one for O2 gas tanks while venting the other from either process but that obviously is suboptimal. The part I'm most objecting to is that while I can wire up one cracker to do both, I still have to vent the excess O2 if I use my jetpack more or vent the H2 if I'm going to space more, so it winds up being just as easy to have one of each set up to auto-vent, which is wasteful.

Ninja edit: Plus not a legit minecraft concern but probs a bad idea to vent H2 and/or O2 into my lab all the drat time.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

McFrugal posted:

Water can't push endermen. They teleport on contact.

Won't matter; the endermen in this scenario are being copied by an MFR Autospawner based on one that's in a reusable safari net. The water is just to push other mobs into a grinder to provide the essence to fuel the MFR Autospawner.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Fayk posted:

I think the thing I miss most from Modular Powersuits was the module that would feed you automatically from your inventory.

Step assist, flying, railgun. That mod spoiled me so bad on ever trying to play minecraft in anything but "delayed creative" mode. I'm trying to plan a steel factory, here, not give a poo poo if a creeper's sneaking up on me.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Does gregtech poo poo still explode over getting rained on?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Best suggestion for putting the villagers back home is a reusable safari net. It's a ghast tear and four ender pearls, but they do drop in chests sometimes and one of them would let you move as many villagers around as you wanted (one at a time, admittedly.)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Been playing Modderation: Permabanned with some friends on a server, and I gotta say it's hilarious how all of us set out to break it in different ways. One dude went straight Project E and farming EMC, another dude built a Big Reactor that made power fairly trivial, and I set up my usual MFR/TE abusive treefarm for charcoal power in steam dynamos and we're all kinda at similar levels of breaking the poo poo out of the pack. I get not all packs are so high powered but it's still fun watching us break poo poo in completely different mods/cross-mod shenanigans.

In the end, though, I gotta say, Project E (the modern EE) is still the most broken. Duping anything is just too powerful.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

TwystNeko posted:

well, I guess I'm talking about automation. I do like how AE2 does it, as it can leverage my existing machines. It's just getting to that point that's huge levels of "filler" makework. When you literally have to get lucky and find a Charged Certus Ore block to even get started, it's frustrating. The meteorite thing too - I had a world that I couldn't find even one, and just ended up cheating in the stupid inscriber plates. I spent probably an hour just running around with a compass.

There's a few other mods that are like that - EE3 for one, but that just requires stupid amounts of diamonds, so it's not THAT bad.

Edit: also, the pack I'm using doesn't seem to have TiC. What's a good, semi-inclusive mod that has these things? Or do I just go to curse and add everything and make my own pack? I guess I'd want AE2, Mekanism, TiC for starters..

Modderation: Permabanned and Modderation: FYAD Edition are goon-made kitchen sink packs where you can pretty well try out most of the notable mods and see which you like and which you don't. Project E is the modern EE and included, as is TiC and Mekanism and AE2.

Also a lot of your ore/crystal/etc problems will go away quickly once you can whip up a TiC Hammer with a Steel head. There's better materials but steel's an easy one to beeline to and very strong (can mine diamond/cobalt) while still ultimately relying on mats you can mass produce for cheap repairs. Modpacks vary in how hard Steel is to get (which is why the otherwise inferior Alumite exists as an option) but in the Modderation: Permabanned steel can be made with a TE3 Induction Smelter and Pulverizer.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

Does MFR sill have the problem where having more than one of its machines in a chunk kills your framerate? I had to swap to RFTools crafters in Ferret Business because of that.

Just planters/harvesters have that issue. Sewers can if their effective radii overlap. I don't know if those issues still apply, but they're easy enough to work around, regardless.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Does anyone know of any way to automatically load bait into a Pam's Harvestcraft animal or fish trap? I can't seem to do it. Steve's factory Manager won't, EnderIO conduits won't, mekanism ducts won't, Thermal Dynamics pipes won't. It's loving stupid that I can pull the meat and feather and poo poo out of the output of the trap, but I can't load the bait automatically.

Haven't tried personally but have you tried a hopper?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Cryohazard posted:

Does anyone know what happens if you let Pyrotheum run into Cryotheum?

Great name/post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Trying out blightfall and I got to the part of thaumcraft where I need to use an infusion altar. Namely, I have a gold-capped greatwood wand and I want a thaumium-capped silverwood wand. I have the thaumium caps but making the silverwood core is stumping me. I set up the altar so that it turns into the multiblock correctly, and then I added relevant pillars around it so I could put the needed shards around it. Upon activating the whole thing with my existing wand, there was a lot of explosions, flux goo, lightning, lightning knocking shards off the pedestals, etc and didn't really get the silverwood wand core I wanted.