Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Am I the only one that keeps on laughing at how Ultimate James Braddock keeps getting poo poo on? Also kudos to Ribic for using the vastly superior MI13 version of Brian's suit that he wore after he became imaginationland Superman. I always hated the old version of the costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

I mean Hickman has used Doom a lot in his stories but I don't understand why people here get so annoyed with it. It's not like he's presenting Doom as some infallible hero that comes in and saves the day. In FF he served his purpose which was to stall some celestials for a few seconds, and even past that when he was messing around with his own universe, he completely blows it. In Avengers he at first presented as someone who has figured it out and is going to save everything, but then he just fails. We don't know anything about the Doom here or how Battleworld was created yet. We don't know for sure that this exists because of something 616 Doom did.

Or if he even could control creating Battleworld. Why the gently caress would you even have a zone specifically for Ultron AIs, Marvel Zombies, and the goddamn Annihilation Wave, when you're whole thing is to remake a world under your complete control. Unless he keeps those around in order to periodically invade and keep everyone else in line which means he keeps in contact with them. Anyone else notice that Susan was back in her Future Foundation uniform as was Doom being in white, when he was made stupid.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FutureFriend posted:

actually, would i need to know anything from the original story or is just "wolverine is clint eastwood in post-apocalypse marvel" all i need to know?
It's not so much he recants is that through the story slowly he's put into situations that keep pushing him more and more to the Logan he used to be I mean by the time they make it to post apocalyptic Nazi New York (DC?). Logan dukes it out with the Red Skull and satisfyingly decapitates him with Cap's shield. His whole vow was to never pop his claws again. Which to his credit he doesn't do, until he's racing back home in some beat up Iron Man armor to pay a debt to the Redneck Hulk Family. He finally makes it back, his home in ruins and his Not Jean redheaded wife and children slaughtered.

Cue a two page spread:

And the claws FINALLY pop out after all this pain and losing what friends he had left to save his family. IT'S loving ON.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"So. You want to live happily ever after?"

God. drat.

There. Right loving there is where I started losing it. The last pages I was bawling. It's been forever since I read something like that, that hits me that hard and feels that genuine. I really hope they let Ewing have a turn in guiding around the 616 like they let Hickman if we can get an ending like this.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mc2 Juggernaut, Space Conan, a whole mess of Spider-People, a possibly depowered Scott, All New Thor, Redwing(?) At the top, another Steve in Cap power armor with an Avengers shield. Who's the guy on the far right wearing pajamas and a sauce pan on his head???

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dacap posted:

I thought the guy with the lightning bolt was TV Movie Thor at first.

Nah he's Space Conan from Weirdworld. Arkon the Magnificent.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Claremont at least has the sense to have Colossus reject her when kitty is all "hey we're all gonna turn into brood and die, so let's get it on".

I thought that was an editorial decision to get Claremont to quit his poo poo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah here's some preview art of Bachalo's Strange:

Maybe they'll have Fraser Irving fill in forever.

Fixed for me.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Strange using weapons makes me wonder if they're going to depower him some.

It worked for Superman! :suicide:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kaleidoscope posted:

Are you implying it didn't? Because all the superman books are pretty solid atm.

Ehh I've said it in the DC thread, but I feel as if his Nova Flare feels like an easy way out to write a Superman story that doesn't have him able to fix poo poo so easily because he's Superman. Take for instance the arc currently in Action Comics, while really good, would work just as fine as when he'd have his powers anyway because Superman isn't going to vaporize some cops because they now know who he really is.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

I really enjoy the idea of having the Sorcerer Supreme be paired with a side cast of people who are all straight laced and completely not versed in magic and have him go around doing more "practical" applications of his magic. The idea of Dr. Strange as one half of a buddy cop duo has been in my head ever since the Original Sin team up and would be a lot of fun if you didn't mind dipping into the Dr. Orpheus vein of the character for comedy.

The idea of making Brother Voodoo an uncle Tom who must reimmerse himself into black culture, while figuring out what parts of Hatiian voodoo the rap group actually messed around with that were real. is a pretty unique setup but boy does that sound hard to write well.

If Strange is going to buddy up with anyone it might as well be Dr. Nemesis. A man of pure out there science and snazzy fedora. :colbert:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I never knew I needed this until you said it.

What's the last thing Dr. Nemesis was in, Spurrier's X-Force? I hope he lands somewhere good post-SW.

I'll PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU! I think it was the X-Force before Spurrier?? Yeah it was during Hopeless' run. I remember him and Forge having a junkyard science off of giant mutated Scorpion vs Junkyard Mech suit. But I can't find that glorious scene.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It wouldn't surprise me if it was Nick Fury Classic antagonizing both sides in order for them to kill each other and let normal people live.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I don't think turning America into two separate countries is letting normal people live.

Yes, but what I was saying this is all pointing towards both sides super heroes mutants etc killing each other leaving either some remnants of villains left or just normal citizens left to govern themselves thus uniting the country again. Nick Fury classic would totally be able to pull that off.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

If anything Thanos will meet himself, they'll both stroke their chins in contemplation staring at one another. Then nod at one another, do the fusion dance and walk off as Super Thanos.

They'll do the Fusion Dance wrong a few times and come out as Fat Thanos. :btroll:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

if I remember right johnny loving melted his face at the end of the fight where everyone found out he was evil and he has left it because he doesn't care
I thought it was he sustained enough damage that he actually couldn't fully heal the extent of it. So many :stare: faces in SW. Ribic can do a great wtf. Anyone else want a new SW book that has Thanos adventuring south of The Wall having a good old time?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

They have already shown that Old Man Logan remembers.

Kinda super depressing to think that the baby Banner he was helping to raise along with Luke Cage's kid got wiped from existence after Battleworld supposedly blows the hell up. OML just pops into New York and is now the appropriate age and look to be old Logan Headmaster at the Jean Grey school that would keep popping up into stories that would jump into the future about it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Infinity Gauntlet could have done with a few more pages at the end but :3:

Infinity Gauntlet was awesome, Thors was loving awesome, #7 was SO GODDAMN AWESOME. And that Alex Ross reveal page at the end? :getin: I'm still waiting on Cyclops to revive himself to clown some people though. :smith:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Zack Snyder Man, that was an awesome rib.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

redbackground posted:

Also: GOD MECHA FIGHT!!!

Doom was in Onslaught armor!!! :black101: That was such a satisfying ending. Giving Reed and Family a proper send off with the Future Foundation. Can someone explain to me did TChala use the Time Gem. Cause it was an 8 month skip right? Also Namor getting to gank Doom with his trident only to be atomized was awesome. EVERYTHING WAS SO drat AWESOME! I think I could put it up there with the Final Crisis ending with Monitor Judge imagining all the heroes ever to kick the crap out of the Source of Evil, and Superman Beyond 3D of how the story goes on and endures. Goddamn this poo poo was so awesome. :perfect:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Box wine posted:

The 8 month skip thing is a little vague and I don't really get why there is one outside of letting stuff happen off panel. He does definitely use the time gem to go back to the first incursion event, this happens way early back in the avengers/new avengers hickman run, and when he arrives since there's no incursion happening he knows everything is fixed. He might be the only person who knows exactly what happened outside of the richards and ff foundation. Who does and doesn't know exactly what happened is still vague.

The gems have been mislabeled and incorrectly colored a couple of times but the story definitely had him using the time gem there.

The dialogue pushes towards the direction that he skipped the destruction and remaking of the multiverse right back into Wakanda. He already knows that the rocket was taking off alluding to the new Ultimates series. It's just weird that he would already know that if he's time traveling forward from a battle with Doom on Battleworld. Oh well, comics. Also it's really kind of annoying that there isn't an official color set for the Gems. Granted I was first introduced to what each color did in Marvel Super Heroes fighting game but still. Between the comics and the movies it messes with my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KaosMachina posted:

E:Wrong thread, ignore that previous version of this post.

But yes, so for my two cents, I like Ribic's art. For all of its... eccentricities, it's very good at expressing emotions on characters instead of just making them big statuesque figures or... whatever the hell you might call the Lee/Liefeld school of growlygrimacemen.

Not only growly faces but like baring teeth and having the strings of spit looking like it connects them together.

• Locked thread