Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Defiant Sally posted:

I've enjoyed this game immensely, but towards the end game there are certain characters that confuse me, such as Djikstra, where after killing Radovid, he tells you to get lost while he kills your bros, and then when you tell him "Yeah can't let you do that" he attacks anyways. Surely someone like Djikstra knows he is absolutely hosed against Geralt and would rather preserve himself and just say "haha alright well cya later guys"? I understand the random thugs that dont know what or who Geralt is.

That's one place where the writing really felt off. Ideally you'd have an optional way of finding out Djikstra was planning to kill Roche & Co and then confront him over it, but the way he does it is just asking to get shanked, specially when in one of their first encounters in the books an unarmed and subdued Geralt beat the crap out of his guards and broke his leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Iron Rose posted:

fortunately it's trivial to mod out most scaling on PC

Wait, really? How so? I really feel this is one game that is weakened by the levelling mechanics.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So... Expansion is out next week. Has anything come out about it other than the teaser and store page?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

gently caress boars and gently caress spiders. Expansion is cool. Peace.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Riso posted:

Anyone got a picture of that?

It is in the "Hearts of Stone extras" folder in the main Witcher directory if you bought the expansion online.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently not one of the developers of Witcher 3 has injested shrooms, or else they'd know that human blood + magic mushrooms doesn't turn people into bears :v:

But it is known to turn bears into people.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fooz posted:

I think i cheesed most of the HoS bosses. Quen & potion chugging ahoy. The first fight with Olgierd hosed me up.

Oh yeah, I actually found that fight the hardest one in the game, yeah, even more than Iris' Fear, since they at least had the decency of having less health and they'd sometimes interrupt one another.. I think it is the only time you fight someone as mobile as Geralt and while having all the bombs and most of the signs made useless. On the other hand, I did the Caretaker in a single try, attract him to the gazebo, as that as an easier place to find the spectres he will use to try to heal himself. Grapeshot is your friend here. Apart from that his attacks are pretty easy to dodge and leave plenty of openings to hit him through.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Too bad the only way you can get that scene is to defend a man who pretty much deserves to get his head chopped off.

Honestly, I couldn't care less for the man, I just wanted to annoy Olgierd.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks, that's a big help. How different is the third act depending on which path you take? Or are most of the differences in the second act?

The main quests for the third act are different, but you can get the same sidequests, and they share the same endgame boss fights.

Also, congrats on game of the year and best developer!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rejoice, for the mod you have been waiting for has arrived, replacing all combat with Gwent.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Enable the console and use the command to add the Wolf Armor to your inventory.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Twobirds posted:

You don't think it will be another area to 'unlock' like Skellige? That's what I was kind of expecting.

It's been confirmed to be in a new area.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I wonder if there will be Grand Master versions of the Wolf and Viper school sets or only of the three originals.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

10 Beers posted:

As if Witchers can get STIs.

Which also raises the question, witchers must have phenomenal alcohol tolerance, so why does Geralt get blurry vision if I drink just one beer?

He's got superfast metabolism that gets him drunk instantly and lets him recover pretty quickly afterwards.

Also I guess that's just how drinking has worked in every single videogame I've played.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Goddamn, all these games arriving in the last weeks of my semester. I think I'll lend my girlfriend my computer until all the exams are over, because I am not going to have the impulse control to resist binging on Total Warhammer and Witcher 3.5.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tupperwarez posted:

Between the books and games, there's probably enough lore and history to make Where in the Northlands is Letho of Gulet?

Only if after going all over and putting all the clues together you figure out that he had been in Gulet all along.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Harrow posted:

Is Hearts of Stone a totally separate side-story, or is it connected to the main game's story in some way? Is it supposed to take place during or after the main game? (Same questions for Blood and Wine but I imagine nobody actually knows exactly yet.)

You can play it as a side-story or after the main game, some of the conversations change depending on how far you are into the main story and the things that happened there, but that is all. That said, the expansion content is for a higher level Geralt.

It has been implied that Blood & Wine is supposed to work in a similar way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Trailer probably has a different angle/set than the one that was used in the finished game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh poo poo, it is Geralt Vs Vampire: The Masquerade.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pyromancer posted:

Probably, you have exactly one chance to get armor blueprints and depending on your choice can miss one of the swords completely. Anyway it's level 39 gear so you're likely not getting to use it before blood&wine.

Speaking of which, turns out I missed the Viper Steel Sword in open sesame? Is there anyway I can go back there to get diagram for it? Though I'd be fine with just summoning it with a console command to.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Palpek posted:

Just remember that using console disables achievements if that's of any importance to you.

Was that added in a recent patch? I clearly remember using the console to finish the Wolf School set on my first playthrough and I still got achievements afterwards.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also, RPS has a review of Blood and Wine.

[Edit](Book Spoilers)Apparently Regis got better from the asskicking Vilgefortz gave him.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 25, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lareine posted:

Tell me about the runewright. Last time I played HoS, I didn't really experiment with him. Tell me what is good to get.

I got the one where alt-Yrden spawns a normal Yrden every time it hits. It trivialized pretty much everything I've fought since.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I have a quest that tells me to go to this shoreside ruin, a lighthouse I guess, but the drawbridge is up. Is this something that I unlock later? I tried swimming around it but nothing caught my eye.

If it is the place I am thinking of (with a place of power at the base), then there is an underwater cave near the place of power you can go into. It is not really obvious, but it is there if you look around and from it you can climb into the tower.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My God, help me to survive this deadly love.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

hopterque posted:

Performance does seem a bit worse from the few minutes I spent running around, but nothing dire. Game wouldn't even boot for me until I uninstalled all my mods so I'm gonna wait to play for a bit in the hopes that a couple key ones get fixed quickly.

Performance is worse because the patch resets post-proccessing configuration and turns on nVidia Hairworks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Huh. It's a weird thing coming to this game with no real knowledge of the world--I think they banked on that to try and set up moral choices for you. I'm in Novigrad and I accepted a Witcher contract Guards gettin' murked by some mysterious creature, as they were out a whoring. I track it down, determine it's a succubus, think "okay, it's probably gonna try and seduce/deceive me like all those rear end in a top hat lady ghosts did." so when the dialogue tree begins I just choose to straight up murder her. I mean, succubus, kills guys with sex, just a monster with a pretty face. But then I read the glossary entry after turning the quest in and I saw that in this world, succubi are not murderous at all, and don't steal souls or suck blood or anything like that. They're just super nymphos.

I bet if I'd played Witcher 2 or read a book or whatever, I'd not have been so untrusting out the gate, but because I was ignorant of the setting, I ended up making a logical, but clearly more callous choice, without even meaning to. Have I mentioned I really like how this game handles its moral choices and quest outcomes?

Look at the bright side, you won't have an unmade Succubus Decotion in your alchemy list forever taunting you.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DevCore posted:

As cool as that sounds, it just seems like I'll be way too OP by the time I get to the end of the game, the level pacing was way better pre-patch IMO.

Well, there's level upscaling now as an option at least, so that should prevent Geralt from trivializing everything at high levels for the players worried about it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Holy poo poo, Toussaint really is gorgeous. Looks like an almost entirely new game from how colourful it is, I am loving it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

New Moon.

[Edit]You can find it while looking through the points of interest added by Hearts of Stone.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Imagine how everything would have been simpler if only Geralt had used Quen during Thanedd.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Levantine posted:

Finished Hearts of Stone before going to the Isle of Mists in the main game. Holy poo poo that was some high quality stuff, though I have one question regarding a person: Who was the Oferi Prince and why did Olgeird curse him? He said it's because his beloved was married off to him but that isn't right (if he's talking about Iris). The events of the third wish made it clear that Iris never left the house, or so I thought.

The girl in question was notIris, but someone whose affections he was competing for with the Prince. Since Olgierd is a sore loser he casually cursed the Ofieri. This is more recent than the whole thing with Iris.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Same.

Also, picked up the Manticore Armor and decided to respec to mainly Alchemy instead of the Dilletante Geralt I've been playing and goddamn. Synergy is easily the most powerful skill in the game and has done more for my attack damage than anything in the red skills, then I added Euphoria and it is like the difficulty has been turned from from "Death March" to "Just the Story".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you are protected by Dijkstra, its why you are so willing to go along with his plans, he is keeping you alive.

And even then, there are instances when they do try to rough up Geralt. The time when a group of guards asks you to surrender your swords and come for questioning comes to mind.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I got the one where alternate Yirden generates normal Yirden when hitting, which is awesome.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Finished Blood & Wine. Goddamn, that was fantastic. Witcher 3 stays as game of the year two years in a roll.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ragingsheep posted:

Finished the main B&W storyline least night. Personally I felt that the best ending was a bit too neat and tidy. Except for what happened to Regis :(

Honestly, I think the best ending is letting Syanna die and letting Dettlaff walk free. Sure, Geralt doesn't get a medal and has some unpleasant time in jail, but I'd rather make Henrietta sad than Regis, and I'd consider Syanna more responsible for all the poo poo that happened than Dettlaff. Sure, you might say he's an unstable monster, but dude is literally hundreds of years old and this is like the first time he tries to destroy a city, so I can't help but praise his self-control.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I still say that the one that causes alt-Yrden to cast normal Yrden on hit can trivialize a lot of the fights in Blood and Wine.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, I see they have added a limit to level scaling. I am thinking of starting a New Game+ after setting Geralt to level 100 and using level scaling so I can play the game without levels mattering. Good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sometimes I look at the Witcher 3 in my Steam list and I think about starting it over or doing some of the things missing from my save - a few sidequests in Blood & Wine and particularly the Hanse Bases, as well as the alternate ending to B&W -, but the ending I got felt so perfect after seven books and three games (Yennefer and Geralt happy in their little house with Ciri as the future Empress, plus the final scene with Regis) that I can't bring myself to start playing it again. It is like, it is just perfect the way it is and touching it again would dimish it.