Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

1stGear posted:

Every other picture in the gallery looks loving amazing, I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's interesting because I've been hopping various streams of leaks/watching preview footage, and all the PC ones have said they are playing on "full Ultra".

Half look drop dead loving gorgeous, easily on par with the trailers/early game footage. Those linked screenshots for example look great.

The other half looks about on par with the various console streams, which doesn't look nearly as good. While faces/things upfront look good, there's basically no depth of field, and even basic textures are a real bummer to look at.

I wonder if there's a texture streaming bug in the PC version, or if the day 1 patch includes in a whole bunch of graphic options those people don't have available to them. Or if a whole bunch of people have been lying through their teeth about what they are playing the game on, and the difference between even High/Ultra is severe. Or if it's just another case of "Everyone who owns an AMD card gets hosed, wait two months for us to fix your problems/for AMD to put out new drivers. :smith:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

My imported save worked! The tattoo shows up in the prologue even though it's supposed to take place years ago. :v:

Even in his memories, Geralt knows it's important.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

theDOWmustflow posted:

If you are an ATI card user, disable Hairworks! I had no idea what it was but it was enabled for Gerald alone yet accounted for more than 30FPS of framerate drop.

Yup, came here to post this. Went from 50ish fps on Ultra to a smoooth 60fps+.

Only issue I can notice is the vines on the side of Kaer Morhan looked not so great ( and there was an odd beam of blue light over Yennefers bed in the intro ), but whatever, they only existed for a minute or two.

NicelyNice posted:

The game looks absolutely fantastic, no clue where the complaints are coming from. My only gripe is that the lighting looks a little... flat? Washed out? Maybe I've been playing too much GTA5 which has better lighting than like, looking out my own window at the sunset, or I'm missing a setting somewhere

The devs finally admitted yesterday that the game is still not 100% done when it comes to bugs, and we should expect issues to arise until they can figure them out/fix them. One of the big ones that's been hitting streamers is that textures won't load in properly, so for many people, they are seeing the game in a Low/subLow settings way, even with full Ultra. This is also why there were so many issues in the streams prerelease, somebody might have everything work, somebody might not, even though both could have confirmed they were playing on Ultra settings.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Verranicus posted:

So far the people seem way better off under Empire rule than they were before, though?

Books spoilers ( that'll probably manifest in game, so beware. )

The Emperor wants to kidnap and rape Geralt's daughter to form the prophesied child that'll conquer the world. I could spoil a huge plot of Witcher 3 here but I won't, but suffice to say Ciri/the Emperor have ties you'll learn about ingame.

They've also personally hosed him over multiple times to accomplish this goal, and while they are happy to bring culture to the North, they are doing so with the sword if people don't agree. They don't want the North for land, they want it so their Empire can spread and these new people can be "enlightened". Considering the Empire proper is "gently caress you got mine" supreme land, is that really what the North needs, even if it does mean Elves/Dwarves stop getting killed so often in the streets, and people are polite to Witchers?

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 20, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Uuuh, are you sure you're not mixing up some people here? From what I've gathered, Ciri is the Emperor's daughter. It's the leader of the Wild Hunt that wants to kidnap Ciri and use her to conquer the world because she has some powers or something something.

Ciri was gifted to Geralt through the Rite of Surprise well before the Emperor became Emperor, and Geralt raised her as his daughter. Thus she is both their daughter, to the Emperor by nature, to Geralt by nurture.

Turns out she's a Source and a powerful one at that. According to legend, her first child will conquer half the world, and her child's child will conquer the entire world. The Wild Hunt want her to help them conquer the world, as she'd be able to keep their gates open/her children would help them conquer the world. The Emperor wants her because her children will conquer the world, and he wants his son to be the one that does it/it done under Nilfgaards banner.

PreAmnesia Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri obviously want to be left alone. DO NOT GIVE CIRI TO THE EMPEROR. HE IS A BAD MAN. HE HAS BAD GOALS FOR HER. DO NOT DO THAT TO YOUR DAUGHTER.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The Witcher world is a failed/dark age space colony; the planet is higher gravity than Earth.

Since we are talking Wild Hunt this might actually come up, could be spoilers for endgame of 3.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Since this is the Witcher thread, I might as well ask.

Was a fix ever found for the cutscenes in 1? Basically anytime I'm not in control the screentears like a madman. It's an issue even in the FMV.

It won't be a big deal after the tutorial, as the game is a bit lacking in big cutscenes, but it's still annoying.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

according to ~the internet~ Ves and Roche actually react to it.

They do, so does Ciri and Yennefer.

Has anyone seen Iorveth and Saskia yet? Roche and Ves seem prominent so far.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Has anyone else started hitting W2 save politics stuff? Curious to see how it changes the game.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 20, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Is Saskia ever mentioned? I haven't seen any mention of her yet.

Neither she nor Iorveth get any mention according to guides/Reddit.

Roche and Ves come back and act like you chose the Roche path. You also learn that Vergen was burned to the ground, and all the rebels hiding there were killed by the Nilfgaardians.

Basically the Iorveth path is as noncanon as going Shani in W1. It didn't happen, you went Roche. Have fun with Broche.

Also for those curious about his horses name, it doesn't mean cockroach, he means the fish. It's oddly translated from Polish and stuck, her name should basically translate to "little fish.".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_roach

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 21, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So how is the DLC set up? Does it just show up during the game? Postgame content? Is it supposed to be postgame content?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lawnie posted:

rats, I thought he was a really cool character. I'm assuming his "death" in the books will be via some badass means, though, so that's cool. Looking forward to those translations coming out.

Regis goes out in the most heroic way possible. Don't worry, he dies like he lived.

Although being honest, I'd be 1000% down with the mysterious robed man being Regis. You hear that Comte, if Regis were to reappear in Hearts of Stone/Blood and Wine, I wouldn't be complaining.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Spite posted:

Can you actually kill higher vampires in this setting? Don't they regenerate eventually? Although Regis was turned into crystal and exploded IIRC.

Not really. I mean Regis intro story even kind of goes over that. He was a vampire jock, who drank blood all the time and was a raging blood alcoholic. His mistress/lover left him for being so juvenile, and the nearby town cut his body into pieces, put multiple stakes through his heart, and then dowsed his remains in holy water before burying him. Took him 50 odd years to recover, and plenty of time to reassess who he wanted to be in his unlife.

The whole shattering thing makes it a bit more complicated, since technically no part of him survived to regenerate from, but hey, it's not like he COULDN'T come back again.

I'm just saying. If Geralt gets into a tricky spot in these DLCs and someone needs to deus ex machina him out, Regis would be a great choice! gently caress some elf pretty boy nobody really likes, and a dragon lady who is probably dead. Regis is the real return character we all want.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
After that trailer, I continue to sit here hoping the plot twist is Regis just showing up to help deal with this coven.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

I ran into a continuity error in the dlc. Geralt discusses the ending events of the vanilla game even though I haven't even unlocked kaer mohren yet.

This is postgame content canonically fyi. I think? Hearts of Stone could be whenever ( haven't touched it yet so who knows ), but this is meant to be an end to Geralts tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I have never been happier with a DLC.