Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ZearothK posted:

So... Turns out I won't have the time to replay 2 before next week and the guy who put up all those saves had the tattoo removed...Would any goon have a handy save with Adda's curse lifted, Aryan alive, Blue-Stripes Tattoo, Iorveth's path, Stennis alive, freed Saskia and spared Letho and Sile?

None of the W1 choices matter, just saying the Adda thing doesn't get imported anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
425 posts in 10 hours. What the gently caress happened?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Akul posted:

There was that picture of Geralt in a desert slaying some bugs, about which Comte was not sure why it had already been released. It was probably from either Korath Desert far to the south and to the east of the Nilfgaardian territories or the home dimension/planet of the Wild Hunt elves, Aen Elle.

It was definitely a different dimension, the sky had a huge-rear end moon or something in it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey, quick question. I wasn't a huge fan of the previous games due to the combat just not being my thing, but I'm really interested in this one. Are their lore videos anywhere that sum up the story of the first two that I could watch before this comes out?

Heads-up: The combat will be almost exactly like W2 (quite a bit faster from what it looks like but the same mechanics).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drifter posted:

gently caress me, finally. I'm an aard and yrden man, myself.

I have no idea why that fight, this one time, was so difficult.

Sounds like you didn't roll enough.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shakugan posted:

Given how all the reviews are saying Geralt becomes too overpowered easily, and presuming they are playing on standard difficulties, I'll be cranking the difficulty all the way up for this reason alone.

Yeah I think one review said you should probably play one difficulty higher than you intended to.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Archimago posted:

The key is to balance autistic sidequesting with mainquesting.

Apparently, you'll quickly find yourself overleveled even if you only do a few sidequests. At least the writing should be good enough to finish them anyway.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Orv posted:

Watching CohhCarnage's stream: The PC controls are loving insane. Left Shift + LMB for heavy strikes, Z to lock on, LAlt to short dodge, WASD + Space makes a little more sense for roll at least.

Yeah the manual that leaked a while ago said the same thing. I'll probably just map dodge to an extra mouse key, maybe shift+click isn't as bad as it first appears.
Who needs lockon with a mouse anyway?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I just crashed while playing Gwent (extra weird because I'm on PS4) which gives me a chance to share some first impressions. Keep in mind I'm still on the tutorial island so the strengths of the game haven't really opened up yet.

Good:
+ Geralt's movement speed is more consistent than it was in 2, so now he's slow but steady both in combat and out
+ Parry timing feels good against humans, not too forgiving or impossible
+ Signs recharge quickly enough that I actually want to use them more.
+ Looks great, and in the first hour or so I've already passed by a bunch of interesting places that I want to revisit

Not So Good:
- The camera is still a little too close to Geralt for my taste, though I'm not sure if this is something you can adjust
- I had no luck parrying non-humans, and I can't tell if it's because there are usually a bunch swarming from every direction, or because their tells are animated and timed oddly, or because it's not possible
- Combat hasn't been retooled. Attack animations are still unpredictable and the camera slides in weird directions when you aren't locked in (and sometimes even when you are), though this is offset somewhat by the more reliable character movement speed. Now I know why reviewers said it felt like 2 but improved. If you had no problems with 2 you'll be happy, but if you're like me you'll just feel a slight disconnect between your input and Geralt rather than the last game's wall of unpredictability.

What exactly do you mean by non-humans? If it's monsters, you couldn't properly parry them in W2 either, right? Because they have claws and stuff and it's hard to get a sword between them and you.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Last wish (book spoiler):
Just finished reading this, guessing the implication at the end is that Geralt wished for Yennefer to fall in love with him? ...does she become nicer/a better person as a result? She's pretty awful in this story so can't imagine why I'd pick her over Triss in the game, unless they make you due to the love spell or something.

In regards to responsiveness, didn't mind the way sword attacks worked in W2 but had a problem with bombs/spells just fizzling or not going off, sheating/unsheating weapons and the like. Basically if I tell Geralt to throw a bomb I want him to stop whatever he's doing and throw a bomb.

I interpreted it as a wish for love as well. Either way, the Djinn basically binds their fates together.
Yennefer is kind a bitch in the short stories (I assume mostly because she can't deal with the whole destiny thing) but becomes great in the novels.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

By the way, that card game crash is the only technical problem I've run into at all, and it seems like it will be a non-issue at launch.

I've been critical of the series' combat but aside from my relatively minor quibbles with that aspect of Witcher 3 this already feels like a special game. There's something unique about the flow between this particular brand of open world design and classic Witcher conversations with grubby weirdos and liars.

Previews had me expecting meaningful discoveries between large areas that were relatively sparse but visually interesting. That's exactly what this game is delivering so far. You have just enough down time in quiet fields and forests to make it feel like a big adventure. It's the sort of game where you often find yourself walking even though you could ride a horse, and walking slowly even though you could run. Also, diving into the water in an interesting-looking but unmarked spot netted me a sunken treasure chest full of goodies.

How is the balance between builds? Is focusing on Signs viable?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Can't comment on builds since I've only put in around three or four hours so far and leveling is slow, which I like. From the outset each sign feels useful. You're able to get off a few casts as well, and the regen feels faster than in the last game.

There are some skills that directly impact signs, though, and a medium armor specialty skill that makes all signs more powerful while increasing your regen rate. Usually I focus on melee in these sorts of games but I'm thinking about going deep down the magic and bombs route.

Yeah, so far each encounter is spaced out and placed in a location that feels somewhat logical. I was riding a horse along a road for a bit and caught sight of some enemies on the mini map which made me hit the brakes. Usually I run past enemies but here I want to investigate and see if they're guarding something.

Faster regens means better spamming, especially with those +regen skills.
I like it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think you mean Witcher: The Wild III Hunt

Slate Action posted:

Didn't you guys hear, Witcher 3 was downgraded from a video game to a piece of toast. The graphics aren't as good, but now you can spread jam on it! Or butter! Or both! It's your choice.

No Nutella? I'd rather not choose at all.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Why are you spoiler-tagging the eponymous assassin of kings who has been confirmed for 2 years?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

Probably a stupid question, but will my newest Witcher 2 save be the endgame save I need to import?

Yes, it's the very last autosave. If you load it up, it should immediately cut to the ending movie.
You could theoretically load an earlier save but you'd lose choices.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drifter posted:

I'm torn on hair works. It sounds cool in theory, but I haven't really seen much to convince me to take the fps hit and use it.

What the gently caress is wrong with you? I didn't say it was bad, I just said I didn't understand the quest without using the walkthrough. The only complaining was on your end.

You said you couldn't solve it without a walkthrough, but he's the pleb?
I mean, that quest is poo poo and hard to understand, but you're insulting each other based on the exact same thing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I think that's how you're supposed to "import" your game. You have to remember what you did.

No, there has to be an actual save import option, it imports more choices.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sauer posted:

Runs pretty well on my 760 and ancient CPU with medium settings and still looks pretty freaking good. Only complaint is the little window that keeps popping up in the lower left corner telling me that my gamepad keeps being detected and the control scheme has changed.

You can just disable your gamepad in the device manager if you're too lazy to pull it out.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I can't play this game until thursday :negative:
How did the equipment repairing turn out? Do you have to spend 90% of your coin on constant repairs?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The floating numbers! How?!

I haven't even played the game but all the preview stuff said that's the only part of the HUD you cannot turn off.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought there were gonna be respec potions.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

iGestalt posted:

Also try this: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/how-to-rebind-keys-in-witcher-3/

I've swapped Dodge and Roll around (Spacebar is Jump, Surface, Dodge, Alt is Roll) and it feels better.

Is it possible to have dodge be tap space and roll be hold space?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

black.lion posted:

Neat, so what's the purpose of equipping those tiles at all?

Seconding this.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I thin the only rpg to get inventory right was Dark Souls and they basically ignored the problem by giving you a bottomless box.

Clearly you never played any of the Gothic games.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I tried once.

You mean knocking them off with Igni and stabbing them so their screams will end. :black101: I got through quite a bit of the game before I realized I could ride horses that aren't Roach.

But every horse is Roach though? :confused:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

havenwaters posted:

It was always at 1.02. They just had been calling it 1.01 for some reason on gog's website.

The new patch is 1207 KB larger :tinfoil:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is there any way to make the "keyboard and mouse detected" go away? I unplugged my controller and it still happens :psyduck:
If I use the LockControlScheme = 2 solution, all the control hints show controller buttons.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The noonwraith trophy gives +5% experience from humans and nonhumans.
I thought kills didn't give XP?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So, is there ever any reason to use a roll instead of just a dodge?

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm sorry you can't RPG and instead feel the need to constantly 360 noscope in this renowned wide open world roleplaying game

He is right thought, it's almost impossible to loot some cabinets because you keep turning on and off the candle on it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Fiends, cockatrices, royal griffins, all have big sweeps you can't dodge sideways from, always roll back from it. Fiends especially because they have a charge and you have to roll to the side to avoid it.

But then there's that ability making you invulnerable while dodging.

Poetic Justice posted:

I don't have that problem, maybe learn how to move your mouse/thumbstick with some grace?

I played enough FPS' to be able to aim, the candle's activate range is just way too big.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

This game doesn't hold your hand, figuretivly and literally. You can't hold that against it if you can't aim your mouse or thumbstick correctly.

I agree! For example, in this instance, it is completely reasonable to have me loot the candle circled in red here until I aim high enough to pass the green line. I mean, why wouldn't I want to ignite a candle that is out of sight instead of looting the cupboard in the middle of my screen?

If only I could stop being such a drat casual :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

:siren: DOUBLE-TAPPING A DIRECTION DODGES :siren:

This has been a PSA for those who didn't dig through all the posts, Alt is really unintuitive and cumbersome displayed bind.

I bound it to space, poo poo's comfortable.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It'd be the same. That 5/5 dodge ability is really good.

Why does he still roll if he has that ability?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How often do merchanst recover gold?
E: Nevermind I'm just going to use this mod.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Who Dat posted:

So what should I be doing / focusing on if I'm having a difficult time with enemy groups, specifically ghouls and nekkers on death march? I've learned that locking on can be a huge mistake. Are people finding beefing up fast attack is really important? Is Axii super effective like it is on backstabbing humans?

What's kinds of tactics are people employing to make things a bit less frustrating?

I'm focusing on Signs so I basically hang back, dodge them whenever they charge at me and wait for my Igni to recharge.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Are there any monsters that don't get staggered when set aflame? I'm trying to get my Igni burn chance up because flame thrower against monsters just gets me killed instantly if they don't start burning.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Willfrey posted:

Its kind of glitchy, note the hair clipping through, but the wood helmet is proper witcher gear

:allears:
What else can you equip?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Do you know about the alchemist yet or am I just a slowpoke?
Now we'll just need to wait for the wealthy vendor mod to include that guy :getin:
Scavenger Hunt talk: Do I just have to check every question mark in Velen to find the Griffin Set (which I'm gonna do anyway)?. There don't seem to be proper clues to find stuff.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

bobthethurd posted:

So the question I feel like I want to ask is this. Should I be getting Dragon Age: Inquisition vibes from this the way I am? I want there to be a point where I can stop and grind in whatever necessary ways to get the biggest, shiniest armor and swords.

The early monster hunts are great. This is why you hire a Witcher, not because they're a superhuman, but because they don't gently caress up and make things worse or just delay the inevitable, if at all possible. That they're superhuman just lets them not die in droves while playing medieval Ghost Busters.

Did the previous games do that? I don't remember 2 really stating why you can't solve the same problem with a hunter or two with weapon oil, except lazy answers like 'but the elves are around so we have to guard stuff more.'

Witcher 1 has the whole thing where Siegfried wants to kill the cockatrice because the Order provides free monster hunting.
Other than that, I don't think the games ever went beyond "he's a witcher he kills things". Though to be fair, I'd also rather pay a Witcher than pay mercenaries or risk my own life because Witcher wages are hilariously low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Does anyone know if Igni's melt armor skill affects monsters? If armor specifically refers to humans wearing clothing that's one thing, but if non-humans also have inherent armor stats the skill would be more appealing.

Some skills in general seem quite silly. Like the +burn chance skill when intensity does the exact same thing.
And intensity is hosed as well, I just went from +22% to +36% intensity by taking out skills and putting them back into the exact same slot.