Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was skeptical that they could make a open world game this giant and keep the charm, but from videos and stuff it seems like they did. I guess I'm gonna start witching things next week, and not stop until nothing is left unwitched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
When I played Witcher 2 on the PC I had a much weaker computer and had to turn everything way down, but it didn't matter since the visual triumph of the game was stuff like costume design which wasn't a property of fancy technology.

edit: and the visual part itself was nothing compared to how interesting the character interactions and quest goals and stuff were.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 16, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Who was that dwarf dentist in the first game? I want to see him back, just because up to that point I had never encountered a dentist, dwarf or otherwise, in a fantasy RPG.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The main thing I want to know about combat is whether they did something about the seemingly arbitrary pauses in animation when you say, get done sword swinging and throw a bomb. I never figured out what that was supposed to mean in 2. Was it a bug, or intentional, or what?

edit: I guess the closest recent thing to the current...discussion I can remember is about the lighting system in Dark Souls 2. I remember people getting pretty internet angry about that too.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 16, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

It was a bug and it used to be even worse IIRC. Hope it's gone completely and forever in the next game.
Yeah, I played the game both before and after that big patch but when it was still in there post-patch I started thinking was a feature meant to balance combat in some way I couldn't understand.

edit: regarding dicks, that might end up being the literal last stand for gender inequality in media, after everything else is taken care of.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'd be so much more likely to believe claims of viral marketing if the game wasn't self-published by the developer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Putting someone on ignore in a situation like this is pointless because people will just quote their posts, so you'll read them either way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Can I still manually switch between swords? Was there ever even a practical reason to do that in the previous games? I don't think I ever encountered a fight with both people and monsters at the same time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

I believe it was mentioned that Geralt automatically draws whatever sword is appropriate to the enemy he's facing.
What if someone made a sword that was both silver AND steel? some kind of...alloy sword?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe is inevitable; threads about games that are released a week or less away always turn into some kind of poo poo.

edit: is the thread title a reference to this argument? If so, what's the rest of it mean?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Utnayan posted:

I guess neither does deleting the evidence on youtube.
I don't know if anyone's actually accepted your argument yet, but I don't think it's from lack of knowing that a video was deleted from youtube.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can totally accept that sometimes small unimportant things can be a symbol of large important things and thus worth discussing, but this time is that second thing even that large or important?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

I beat Witcher 2 again, but it was my first time doing a roche run. It was fun. The graphics were pretty. I am excited for Witcher 3 now.
I did Roche first and though after doing the other path I can see that's the "good" one, but Roche was definitely more fun and I'll be using that as the basis for 3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

We're gonna need a new thread when the game comes out.
I'm sure this was intended to be that, but then someone went and filled the first 15 pages (so far) with some of the most ridiculous horse-poo poo I have seen in this forum, and that's really saying something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

iGestalt posted:

You forgot: Witchers are immune to disease so they can bone everyone.
And can't reproduce...also so they can bone everyone.

Where's my Witcher/Monster Hunter crossover though? Come on Capcom, this is important.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gentwise posted:

I never got very far in Dragon Age Inquisition because I thought the combat was boring, and upping the difficulty just made everything a damage sponge.

I've never played a Witcher game and was wondering if the combat in these games is more interesting. I enjoy Dark Souls combat, for reference.
It's completely action for hitting and dodging and not based on cooldown periods or whatever, but not as tight as either a full action game, or something like Dark Souls. It hasn't been the high point of the series but it's acceptable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up my year old third playthrough of Witcher 2 in the beginning of chapter 1, forgot to pick up my swords when I left the party, and got beat up by those guys waiting on the other side of the tunnel thing. I guess witching isn't like riding a bike; you can forget.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh my god is this thread going to turn to poo poo again.
It just needs to make it another 30 hours or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FuriousGeorge posted:

There should be a 10-minute cutscene in this game of just Yennefer yelling at Geralt over the tattoo.
Wait, we actually get to meet Yennifer (who I hardly even know) in this game? The review I read made it sound like it's Geralt's quest to find her.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VanillaGorilla posted:

Apparently the best poo poo is crafted, anyway, so that probably helps. I think the general paradigm is that loot quality goes bought < quest < found < crafted.
Does the book series have the idea of magical legendary weapons or anything? The games were fairly low-key on weapons and equipment and I liked it that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In 1 and 2, the best equipment you could get was just some jacket or sword used by a famous person; I didn't see any indication that it was anything but just well-engineered. I like it that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well, I mean, in 1 the best silver sword in the game was literally given to you by the Lady of the Lake in an extended fancy-rear end cutscene. I'd say that's pretty loving magical.
Huh, I must have forgotten that. It's been so long since I have played 1.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone know how much of 3 will be monster hunting? Will it be a side thing of a fundamental and necessary part of the game?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pigbottom posted:

I´m glad to note that the so far the inventory seems way more pc friendly than on witcher 2
I played 2 on both the PC and 360 and I didn't think the inventory system was friendly to either one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Archimago posted:

The key is to balance autistic sidequesting with mainquesting.
Ideally RPGs give you some indication of when you are strong enough to do the next main quest. Does that happen here?

edit: people probably disagree but I think it should be money, like buying the emblems and stuff in Souls games (though it doesn't need to be that obvious).

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 17, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VanillaGorilla posted:

Because it unlocks tomorrow evening at 7PM EDT, which I think is midnight on the 19th in Poland time or whatever.
Holy poo poo you're right, my PS4 says 23 hours from now. Due to time zones, that's even before I get home from work tomorrow.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

Almost everyone is ultra racist in The Witcher
Makes sense since unlike the real world, fantasy worlds actually have different races with biological meaning.

Anyway, Roche is a loveable rear end in a top hat, but Iorveth is just an rear end in a top hat. Even when he's not trying to be, it comes out that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Airfoil posted:

So, what's with "plough"?

It makes sense as a substitute for a naughty word if you're trying to keep the game PG-rated, but then they go ahead and use "gently caress" constantly anyway.
I think it beats the hell out of "gently caress" in the mental imagery department.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is plough a direct translation from a Polish word for gently caress, or something else?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Look at this city slicker
I mean, do Poles usually use their word for plough to mean gently caress or not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

It doesn't matter whether it works in Polish because you're listening to/reading the English translation.
It matters if you're curious about bad language in Polish. Isn't everyone curious about cursing in other languages?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bloodsacrifice posted:

Preloading and digital download are one of the coolest most convenient things about this "generation". That and the xbox lets you pick up exactly where you left off with no loading it owns.
To me this is just an intermediate step to a subscription service, like PS+ but with enough games that most of the time you don't need to buy any at all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

turtlecrunch posted:

He says "witcher's code" like it isn't something he's just making up as he goes along.
Not working for free seems like a pretty stable part of his code.

edit: actually, when he works for a king or someone, is it because he's being paid or was he just ordered to do it?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 18, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

In the books, Sapkowski is very fond of the word "chędożyć". It's really archaic Polish for loving.
Ah, so they translated it as another somewhat archaic word. That's the way to do it, if you ask me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is a linguistics related question, but what's with all the pronoun dropping in the English version of the game? English is not generally considered a pro-drop language.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think this is intentional and I've always viewed the game as a low fantasy noir story.
He's a better detective than Batman and a better ghostbuster than the Ghostbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, he's also just really old. Maybe that affected some parts of him, like his vocal cords, more than others.