Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ymgve posted:

- Better flower picking. seriously why does picking a flower open a loot window just put it straight into my inventory geez cdprojekt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

How do people ever have trouble with sirens/drowners while on the boat? I've never found a group bigger than 3-5 monsters and they die in one shot from the crossbow while you're swimming or sailing even on Death March.

Boating directly from point a to point b is boring enough without stopping every so often to do busy work. Imagine if, when running, geralt stopped every so often because his pants fell down, and a prompt appeared, and said push x to pull up your pants. There's only one choice, so there's no decision making, its just a waste of your(the player's) time.

The real trick is just...not getting all the ?s in Skellige. For me it was a great boon that some of them were such a pain in the rear end, because I instantly realized there was no way I was going to do them all, and thus didn't feel obligated to do any of the other, less boring but still boring ones.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah I agree that they are not fun combat encounters. But they are not difficult roadblocks. So long as you have a controller in your hand and a pulse it really shouldn't set you back very long. You don't even have to stop the boat.

No one is complaining about the difficulty - they're annoying and waste your time, that is the complaint.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

This sounds like it takes wayyyy longer than just tapping them with a crossbow a few times.

Lets say you miss a couple times, maybe it takes 20 seconds to deal with a group. Multiply that by "sailing literally all over skellige", you probably get a decent chunk of time. Most importantly, this is an already boring task that any lengthening of is going to feel really bad, combines to make something that feels really annoying. Imagine being somewhere and not being able to go home until you complete a few hours of "busywork A". Now imagine you do the same thing, but also, you get interrupted randomly every few minutes to do 20 seconds of "busywork B" - it would feel a lot worse every time it happened, regardless of how much time it added. Annoyance is generally an emotional thing more than a rational "this has negatively affected my in-game productivity" thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

I am very glad I didn't bother with most of the "?" spots in Skellige if this is what it does to you.

Whenever I had to deal with water-based combat encounters it would take me 10-15 seconds and I wouldn't even slow down the boat or change course.

Nah, I was able to infer it would do that, and not do them, but others aren't so fortunate. It was actually good that they were super-annoying, because then I didn't feel like I had to do the velen ones either. I think cdpr should probably remove any ?s that they didn't build a cool set piece for - it's much better if all of them feel rewarding.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Kaer Morhen Library Robbery: Collect them all

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There are also doors you can't open right? I'm not gonna spell it but if I was in a room with levers and doors, I know what I'd do.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

I beat the game, did a boatload of side-quests, and never managed to upgrade the swallow potion.

that's brutal - this was the first superior potion I found

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I pronounce the first vowel sound differently because that's how my computer science professors said it. I pronounce i like "ei" in "eileen".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

Does anyone know what this "streaming.cache" thing actually is? Is there somewhere I can download it separately myself instead of relying on these buggy piece of poo poo patch setup things to do it?

If you PM me and remind me I can probably send you mine when I get home. It kind of sounds like a temporary file to me, but I don't know.

Did you try finding the patch installer on the hard drive, and running it manually as administrator? It might be a permissions issue.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Well if you bug me at a moment of my convenience I'll do it, sorry that's not very helpful, sucks to your rear end-mar.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

They turned into Bachelor of Science in Nursing? BarneS and Noble?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

f#a# posted:

AFAIK, the four points at which some quests will auto-fail are:
  • Leaving White Orchard for the first time
  • Duelling quest objectives between "Get Junior" and "Gangs of Novigrad"
  • During "Ugly Baby," leaving Crow's Perch with Uma (this is major and unmarked; do all your act 1 questing beforehand).
  • Starting Isles of Mist (explicitely marked).

There are also other ways to fail out of being able to get all the Gwent cards, but eh.

The King's Gambit quest will auto-fail at least one quest.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jack of Hearts posted:

There really should be a means of highlighting merchants you haven't victimized yet for Collect 'Em All. Or, better yet, just disabling quests. I obediently beat every merchant I met in the whole wide world while beating the game and have no idea what I'm missing, so when I replay, I'd like a means of explicitly stating "gently caress that poo poo" via menu.

What I did is always play a merchant until I beat them. Then, if the gwent option is greyed out in their conversation menu, I know I've played and thus beaten them. (You'll know you've gotten all the reward cards when you beat a new merchant and get something that isn't a card.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's probably a random town merchant, the internet is full of copy-paste stuff from the guide, which is wrong/incomplete about where the gwent merchants are. I wouldn't sweat it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Some things are just flagged to not be on the map, I have no idea why. It even updates the counter on the map screen if you are nearby. The gwent quest to play lambert didn't have a location marked and the internet told me "he's at the Nowhere Inn" as if that helped.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I used some spreadsheet and I'm missing a couple duplicates, and I have some extras.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Romes128 posted:

gently caress you if you let kids get eaten. That's basically the only good thing to come out of that quest. Whatever that spirit was before killed people and the crones are the crones. Any of them being loose in the world sucks.

There are kids in downwarren you know, how do know which set of kids is better to kill? I think the body count is higher all-around if you let the tree spirit out, which makes it the wrong choice in my eyes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A bunch of content that you have to replay a bunch of other content to see is kind of annoying to me - it's fine for small stuff, but a huge chunk of witcher 2 required a complete replay. It means most people are only going to see like, 75% of your game. I like the big decisions mostly being questline-scale instead of game-act scale.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Just keep a save right before the decision

Right, I did that, but even then there was a lot of overlap, such that I was pretty burned out. I started a Iorveth path run right after finishing W2 and didn't have it in me to keep going, whereas I would have greatly preferred to have learned more about Iorveth and Saskia on Roche's path instead. I'll go back someday but that's my story.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

(King's Gambit)Her son is not even that bad a king, but he does away with the, uhh, jarl congress.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

yeah and look where it got them?

(viking history)they died