Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Crosspost from the FF main thread since one of the things that usually comes up in the Fiesta thread is the plausibility of running Fiestas in other job system games:
Buffs non-Summon magic and bad jobs in FF3, including completely revamping Steal so that you can steal more useful items and eventually endgame equipment, and buffs enemy HP to compensate for the overall buff in player power. Could make FF3 a much more interesting game, and less frustrating for this sort of randomized play, though FF3's job system is still fundamentally different in that you unlock some of the jobs much later in the game and some jobs are intentional linear improvements on others.

Assuming the patch didn't bug the gently caress out of something major or anything, it's probably an improved experience and would provide a more optimal one for first-time FF3 players than the default or the DS/PC/mobile port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Are we on the next page yet? I'm not sure if we're on the next page yet. Samurai owns, it's not "tankish" it's literally the tankiest class in the game when you combine their passive + stats + equip options, and Zeninage is a life-saver on a couple of annoying bosses (the aforementioned Puro and Neo Exdeath) if you have a poo poo team otherwise.

Then again people itt like Dancer for reasons other than the flamenco shirt so it's a certified nuthouse

EDIT: If your level is low enough that Zeninage isn't useful on Neo XD, your Dancer is probably going to spend the entire fight eating dirt anyway

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like Krile because when she gets blind it puts the sunglasses where her eyes would be if she was the same height as every other sprite and it looks like she's wearing them on her head like a cool dude

Also, Krile has the best White Mage sprite

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Geomancer, like Thief or Red Mage in a regular game, is a job you take early in the game to grab their abilities and don't touch in the latter parts. !Gaia is a solid secondary for mages as a spammable Magic-based ability that doesn't cost MP (and isn't as prohibitively difficult to learn as !Call), and the safe floor ability is extremely useful in exactly two lategame dungeons. Nobody would voluntarily run a Geomancer in the party in World 3 outside the Fiesta and I don't think the developers ever really intended for you to, they just got pretty desperate after the first 8 or 9 legendary weapons.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If we're talking about like actual Cleft of Dimensions endgame that party should just have four people spamming Holy

There's another piece of advice for newcomers in World 3 with access to White Magic: Holy is loving amazing in this game. At 20 MP it costs less than Flare or even the elemental -aga spells while dealing about 50% more damage than the latter and, unlike Flare, having elemental boosting equipment; it's another reason White Mage is one of the best jobs aside from all that healing stuff

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dis astranagant posted:

Chicken knife thief tops unboosted holy by a hair, though it is more sensitive to enemy defense scores.

That kinda surprises me but the post stands as a testament to how great Holy is. !White goes incredibly well on a Monk and is basically the reason my Classic run didn't make me pull my hair out.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, White Monks are actually pretty good. That said, Classic runs are supposed to be Natural. :ssh:

(natural is loving stupid, friends don't let friends play natural runs)

In retrospect I think it was the first Random I ever did and not Classic; iirc my actual Classic run was Kn/Kn/WM/WM and was both incredibly painless and incredibly dull.

I just started a pre-Fiesta run of GBA by the way since I've never played GBA before; is all of the added content like new jobs World 3/postgame stuff? And if I decide to run it instead of SFAM this year, is there a comprehensive list of version differences I can look at?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of what the bad jobs have in common is that they scale really poorly into the mid and endgame; Monk and Red Mage are actually great in World 1. I don't really dread rolling either until I get my 2nd-4th jobs and end up with nothing useful to compensate for their endgame damage problems.

And in defense of Dragoon because Dancer is my personal least favorite job to roll: Jump is only a bad tank ability if you focus on a tank's responsibility to take hits on behalf of the rest of the party. It's an amazing tank ability if you focus on a tank's ability to survive anything. There's a pretty cool fight in the postgame stuff in FF4A where Kain has to solo Bahamut and the trick is to Jump over and over before he casts Megaflare; I also had this experience in FFT a couple times where timing Jumps was the solution to a difficult battle.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The thing you're hitting on here ("Monk isn't a bad job because it's a great base platform for independently powerful skills") is part of why I hate Dancer so much and why none of the jobs in the game, apart from the context of a lousy overall party roll, are terrible. Red Mage, the other worst job people talk about ITT, becomes one of the most powerful in the game if you get any of the other real casters.

Dancer's incredible fragility (and it really can't be overstated; Dancers have less HP than Black Mages do and Sword Dance, the only thing that makes them more than dead weight, is row dependent) makes it the worst "platform" for abilities from other jobs in the game, and Equip Ribbon is the only more-than-marginally useful thing it has to offer.

I agree that you're underrating Thief's utility, tho.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The difficulty of the first half of the game matters, though. There's a lot of Fiesta parties where stuff like Byblos and Purobolus are the hardest bosses in the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Trasson posted:

Hilariously, neither of those are ones a Monk would have problems with. !Focus lets you get in the same damage per turn but over fewer actions, which means fewer counters from Byblos, and Monks have Kick for the Purobolus.

Yeah that's what I was saying, in opposition to all the stuff about Thief being awesome. I love having a Thief from World 2 onward, but saying "Thieves are good" without qualifiers is as dumb as people saying "Sabin is bad" about FF6. It's technically true, in a sense, if we're talking about minmaxing in the last third of the game, but you have another 66% of game to play prior to that.

Monks make the run up to World 2 cake, a Thief start is incredibly tedious especially if you get bummer rolls for Water and Fire.

KataraniSword posted:

Maybe I'll try a warm-up run

Doing this to play the GBA extra content for the first time and playing this game with no restrictions in its pure format is pretty hilarious with all the accumulated knowledge from years of Fiestas

Baku fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 22, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

realtalk, i've never done risk because the whole fun of the challenge for me is getting a random team setup and knowing for sure one plus of the classes I'm going to get would kill it for me.

basically what i'm saying is that if chaos is what i think it is this is going to be a good year for fungah

Dude yeah it's going to own

Hellioning posted:

I am just going to go for a normal run. Maybe chaos when I actually beat this game.

Just beat the game normally before the Fiesta it's a fun game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I hope chaos is some real stupid poo poo like "each time you enter a new world all four job assignments change and you can't use the old skills" or something instead of what we're all expecting, like "welp my White Mage got replaced by a Monk on the World 3 transition"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

More than the names, I actually distinguish my runs by changing the HUD colour every time.

FF5 needs the window customization from 6, including the eye-searing wallpapers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My comment on Chemist is this: I'm mildly annoyed that you can't use the berserk bug to glitch Exdeath and skip his final form in the Fiesta anymore. There's no party with a Chemist in it which is incapable of beating his final form easily by using Drink and Mix to set up for it, and more importantly it is a funny bug and doing it once should be considered a tradition and rite of passage. God bless you and thank you.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JibberJabberwocky posted:

Knight Dancer Monk Berserker..

Yikes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JibberJabberwocky posted:

This is good practice. That is what I will keep telling myself. Getting a monk in the real run is gonna suck, since earlygame is their only truly useful time, but right now 3 are monks because outstripping Byblos' drain is definitely not a problem. Once I break earth crystal and my official berserker shows up + I get dancer unlocked, this is gonna be interesting. I'll thief's dagger a rainbow dress and give the dancer the chicken knife. I haven't gotten Dancer OR monk in ANY of my previous runs last year so I guess I should brush up. Knight is a solid mainstay I guess.

It does at least have some melee-dude synergy. Kyrosiris is right that you should play around with Equip Swords and Equip Axes on the other characters, and you've also got multiple viable options for the Berserker in Equip Swords (for exploiting certain elemental and status vulnerabilities), Equip Ribbon, and Doublehand. You can also give HP+30% to the Dancer and hopefully not get oneshot by Almagest.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

FF6 might not have jumped off the deep end of self-aggrandizing wangst yet, but there's still a lot of moments like "I keep my dead girlfriend pickled in some guy's basement" that just make you question what the gently caress the writers were thinking.

I think people who think of it like "eww gross a pickled corpse in the basement" are overthinking it when the writers were trying to evoke something closer to Sleeping Beauty or Zelda or something where this angelic woman is just lying in state; that said they should've just had her hit her head and fall into a coma because of him instead of hitting her head, losing her memory, being left, then getting her memory back just in time to be killed by the Empire or whatever

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Man, that Fiesta kickoff playthrough is going to have a rough time with NXD. !Rapidfire with the Monk and Ranger can take care of a lot of lategame bosses, but it's pretty loving poo poo there especially if he's playing on a version with the dummy targets. That Dancer is going to be pulling serious weight with Sword Dance, good thing he'll have HP+30% to keep them from being oneshot over and over.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

Four Monks generally have an easy time with Garula. Both Chakra and Focus are excellent skills to have in that fight. It's a real pain with four Thieves, though.

Really just Chakra, iirc you can give all four people Chakra and put them in the backrow and kill him with counter damage without ever really being in danger.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

setafd posted:

i'm watching elmagus practice for it now and it is not going well

monk/red mage/ranger/dancer is terrible against world 2 exdeath

When does the real pre-run start

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

Well yeah, you had three great jobs to compensate for the one busta. :v:

Dancer? ehehhe

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

dancer's not the worst class in the game but it's probably my least favorite

It's also not as good as people say, Sword Dance is row-based and a front-row Dancer is going to get oneshot over and over by dudes like Exdeath unless you keep defensive buffs on them or overlevel

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Traveler being an option for chaos could be fun too, introducing a metagame where you change jobs more than normal so that whoever ends up with it at the end has 1 or more mastered

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My sincere hope is that chaos berserker risk will give someone the legendary 4 berserker team

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

DD is apparently going to do all the grinding he needs to beat the final boss in world 1, so he'll be behind for a while.

What would be the hypothetical point of this even if he did need to grind levels for Exdeath? Is the XP/AP over time really better there than in World 2 or 3?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So uh, should we be using codes to unlock all jobs from the Wind crystal in Chaos or rolling around with freelancers?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Not bad!

No magic, no berserking. Just the Fights, ma'am. Should mostly be a cake run from here on (just landed in World 2), but I think I'll be skipping the bonus bosses. Rings are a waste of money when I could literally just throw money.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One weird thing about my Knight/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon chaos squad: I actually have more good legendary weapons to choose from than I can grab with a single tablet!

I mean I guess I'll take the swords and spear first because I can Twinlance/Chicken on the Ninja but that's still pretty funny

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 23, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Thoughts on Knight/Ninja/Samurai/Dragoon chaos run: I forgot how annoying a team with no magic or trickery (RIP !Mix) could be even if the jobs you do have are strong. There's a lot of World 3 stuff I pretty much had no option but to bruteforce, so I ended up doing some grinding to break through the Cleft. The whole game was easy up until that point, though. Neo Exdeath went down to a hail of spare change and shuriken.

Oh, add another Fartz to the pile.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Chaos is horrifying. Just started my second run and got Geomancer as my first job and Dragoon as my second.

If the rest of my party is some combination of Dragoon and Dancer, it may be time to hit up the job fair for the first time ever.

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 25, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost-Slug posted:

I'm not sure there's any particular synergy between Monk and Time Mage but I'm glad that at the very least I've got some utility spells and I'll be able to break rods in an emergency.

Monks actually have a lot of synergy with pure casters; a Monk with an ability like !Time is basically as effective a caster as a Time Mage while simultaneously having Monk HP and counter attacks, and HP+30% is a solid secondary skill for any pure mage because they're so effective unto themselves that bonus passive survivability is a fine choice.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Man I can't wait to get my second class but I think White Mage will help me a lot later.

The coolest thing about White Mage is that Holy is completely ridiculous; it does like the most single-target damage of any spell in the game and costs 20 MP whereas -aga elemental spells cost 25, Flare costs 39, and the best summons are 32+.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Clemens posted:

You know what the worst thing about this game is? That one guy in Phantom Village who's just barely fast enough to always block your way.

Screw you, buddy. :argh:

He's no "old man in Crescent Town who makes fun of you for losing your boat", but he's up there

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, Ifrit with four Geomancers is a bummer. Thanks #chaos!

I'd kill to still have four Freelancers. Freelancer rules.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Sulla's solution for Geomancer Ifrit btw: grind 6 levels and burn through Elixirs.

WORST JOB

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ, I think I'm job fairing my Dragoon or Dancer (my fourth job is Chemist). I can definitely knock out Ifrit with another couple levels, but apparently Sol Cannon is the exact same situation, being one of those tilesets that only does air attacks against a boss immune to air. I really don't feel like grinding up to level 30+ in World 1 to be able to autofight bosses to death with Geomancers.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Time Mage is fun and cool and I never get it either :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonatrix posted:

I think most people who do multiple runs already know about this, but for anyone that doesn't (and it is super easy to miss)...

Tycoon's top secret treasure that the Chancellor doesn't want YOU to know about!

quoting for the new page because what on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Emy posted:

I just got my fourth class, making my final lineup monk, summoner, beastmaster, and dragoon.

!Summon will carry you in the lategame, make sure not to miss any espers.

• Locked thread