Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

DAF posting about cross ange

Posting about watching anime, or possibly not watching anime

You forgot people laughing at warnings not to watch Cross Ange followed shortly by "I wish I hadn't watched Cross Ange".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoubleDonut posted:

FirstAidKite please make Monster Rancher

Also, chat thread, what are some cool 80s shows/ovas I should watch that are 1. in English and 2. not City Hunter because I already read that

Go grab Patlabor: The Early Days OVA. If you enjoy it, get the 50-ep tv series dvd fatpack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

littleorv posted:

Is there a good anime with a yandere character? I doubt it personally.

There's a game at least :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Littleorv give me your steam ID.

I've got a copy of Barbie™ Dreamhouse Party™ with your name on it.

littleorv posted:

You'll have to find me first :ninja:

Found it.

Enjoy your Barbie Dream House, littleorv :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

There were evil referees and at one point the good and bad referees got into a paddlehand slapfight

Oh I remember that slapfight, it ends with the Judge picking up the Dark Judge and cracking the motherfucker across his shoulders like a badass :allears:.

boom boom boom posted:

I do not remember if there was a way to retrieve the drop pods, or if the Zoids world is just implied to have a dead robot referee in an old drop pod every fifty yards

They just launch off again after the match. Besides, we all know the real master of surprise-referee'ing is Mister Referee :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Frag_Man posted:

Are there any humanoid Zoids?

Nah, they're all animals. The closest you get is the Iron Kong (ie; a bigass robot Gorilla)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You need to need to paint the Big O black as well, save for the red and gold highlights.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

Yeah always best to find out before skipping. Sometimes they do the worst thing and have plot important information in the middle of an episode that's mostly recap and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I know at least one got the recap done by the eyecatches and then got on with new developments in the second half.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I'm nearly a third into Xam'd now and I'm finding it increasingly amusing that the titular entity hasn't appeared in full since the first episode :munch:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

There's been tons for like 2 or so years now, probably longer. I assume it's super cheap productions, but idk why there's a market to watch people lamely act out anime on stage

Don't they use the same VA's for the roles?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Idk, I think it's a mix or VAs and others. I just mean lamely because it's not animated and real people can't do 1/10th of the cool poo poo that happens in good anime

True, but VA's in Japan are a bigger deal than they are here, so its probably just a cash-in to let fans see them in person.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Dig that last dude's face.

I just saw this episode myself :munch:. It's really weird considering it's in Durarara X2 and everyone else is relatively normal-looking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Check out Trava Fist Planet too, it was kind of a dry run for Redline.

It also has two of the racers from Redline in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Up to episode twelve of Xam'd now and so far Ragyo's version has appeared far more often than the protagonist's, which still hasn't made a full appearance since the first episode. The big fight in episode 11 was pretty cool though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Frag_Man posted:

You can't say that and not give us a link or somethin'

I looked it up and she gets brutally murdered and eaten. The main characters find shreds of her clothes and a bigass blood pool on the ground.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

Can this be made avatar sized?

It can indeed!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

here's what's actually worth posting about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIl2-5f8NTo

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/hatsune-miku-project-morpheus-tech-demo-playable-e3

project morpheus got both miku and virtual wives. the rift is done

That's a surprising lack of jiggle for something made by the TEKKEN team :v:. The graphics are very pretty though :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ben-To is a very silly show :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dryzen posted:

I'm almost caught up on all the anime I just need to watch BBB and Snafu while I wait for heavensward

The manga-adapted parts of BBB are great, (along with the soundtrack and animation in general) but we're reaching the finale and it's becoming rapidly apparent the anime-exclusive content is going "ORIGINAL CHARACTER, DO NOT STEAL" on us.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dryzen posted:

that sucks but I'm still going to watch it

Oh, it's still well worth your time. Most of the interstitial anime-new bits threaded into the manga stories are fine on their own, it's just now that we've gotten to peek behind the curtain and watch them occur for longer than a minute or two at the tail end of a manga-adapted story it's not looking so hot.

boom boom boom posted:

I am so angry at the anime for ruining the punchline to Lunge! Launch! Lunch!

That is the only part of the anime that's outright annoyed me. They sunk the loving punchline just for a cold opening. And they cut the ending off anyway just to stand around emotionless for ten minutes talking about "Casters" :nallears: (ie; Mages, psychics, etc).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 18, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That bloom spot used on tits and asses always looks silly to me. Makes it look like the poor girl has a bigass pimple more than anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Up to episode 14 of Xam'd now and wow does this show really want to be a Ghibli movie. At least the titular Xam'd has finally made another appearance.

Also :wtc: in general about episode 14 :suspense:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Parmesan Basil posted:

I am 27 years old so I remember watching E.Y.Es of Mars or whatever it was called on Sci-Fi channel and DBZ before it was on Toonami ask me anything.

:corsair::hf::corsair:

I remember Cartoon Network Australia's Toonami Blocks. We never got movies, just a rotation of Tenchi Muyo, Cowboy Bebop and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 on Fridays, and Orphen, Trigun and Inuyasha on Saturdays. Neon Genesis got mixed in there too on Saturdays at some point as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So far I like rebuild shinji and asuka. Rei is even a little better.

Rebuild Shinji isn't a complete mental trainwreck this time (and wasn't written by one either :v:).

In Training posted:

It's 12 episodes and on Hulu for free. Enjoy

It's also up on AnimeLab now too, if you're in Australia. I'll watch it eventually, I swear :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
AnimeLab's starting to announce their Simulcast lineup for the season. So far it's "A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Don’t Exist!" and "Classroom☆Crisis!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Finally caught up on Durarara!! season two and just like the first season the main three kids are the worst part of an otherwise pretty cool show.

Looking forward to season three.

I just caught up on it too, and was it just me or did Izaya's sisters contribute precisely squat to the story before disappearing halfway through altogether?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

because 'woman' is the default state and male secondary sex characteristics don't develop for a few weeks

That's her exact answer right after that line :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

everythingWasBees posted:

I like that instead of getting rid of the 3d like many companies would they decided "gently caress it we'll make it better" and the new3DS is pretty fantastic

Funnily enough, the super-stable 3D was a last-minute thing. They'd proven it had worked during development, but for some rear end-backwards reason weren't going to actually use it until Miyamoto caught wind and came down to have a word.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

The left side of the controller was almost never used for anything so if it just had a better control stick that didn't ground itself into oblivion as dust/sand got into it it'd actually be a pretty good design if you lopped off the left side.

Mischief Makers is probably the only good game that uses the D-pad. I really wish Treasure would put it on the eShop :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Seshoho Cian posted:

So does Kirby 64 and the better control scheme for Goldeneye

I stand corrected. I really need to grab Kirby 64 too, but I think I'm just gonna wait for the eShop version now rather than the WiiVC one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well apparently I'm one of AnimeLab's first 500 Annual Premium Members ($70AUD for the year is pretty drat good), and because of that they're sending me a "mystery box of surprise anime swag" :peanut:. I'm expecting just a t-shirt or something, but can't say no to free stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PotU posted:

paying for anime huh?

Hey, can't complain about 150+ shows in subbed, dubbed (if a dub exists of a show) and HD :shrug:.

For comparison, the free accounts only get subbed, 480p, and they have to wait a week on Simulcast releases.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

how are people who still care about blood blockade battlefront reacting to the news of the finale being indefinitely delayed?

http://myanimelist.net/news/40608038

Considering the anime-exclusive content's been pretty dull and uninteresting, not as badly as you might think. Still a surprise though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

It sucks, though most of my enjoyment with the show has been with the episodic parts so I don't feel too annoyed.

The manga-adapted stuff is great for the most part, and even the little 2-3 minute vignettes with White and Leo added to them were really good. It's just the full-blown anime-original content's finally gotten its legs under it and it's been extremely underwhelming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Seafood posted:

You wouldn't think it'd be hard to come up with a fitting arc-villain for this setting but apparently you'd be wrong.

There's even a really good fun one shown front-and-center in the very first episode. But no, you see the writer really has to get you onto the story about their brother and sister characters who had an unfortunate encounter with an unknowably powerful god who bequeathed powers to the brother while the sister suffered as a result*.

What makes it worse is it's really apparent how badly it treats the source material just to get screentime for the anime-original stuff in the last few episodes. One of the big two-parter stories in the manga (a really good one with a fantastic fight and introduces a new main character) gets a full part-1, and part-2 gets the manga story over-and-done in five minutes for anime-original content. The other story is a pretty basic light-hearted one that's worn threadbare around more dull anime-original content (and even then it's ditched with a wall of text as its epilogue 3/4's through), and they utterly nuke said story's punchline just to use it as a cold opening for the episode instead.

*If you don't get the sarcasm, guess what also describes the protagonist and his own sister as the initial intro to the series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

Black and White are perfectly fine but Lunge, Launch, Lunge deserved better.

On the other hand some stories are better than the manga version, like the intro story or Aligula's.

Ehhh, not really. The intro story is really rushed, and while Aligula's story has some great additions for the anime version, it's missing a couple bits like why she's actually joyriding around in a car-eating truck.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

The intro story in the manga has absolutely awful panel layout that makes it impossible to tell what's actually happening.

Not really necessary information.

The information for Aligula's story is important, because it's never explained beyond "oh no, she's rampaging" in the anime. The whole point of the truck was to get it large enough to ram Pandora Asylum, home to 40,00,000 deranged psychotic inmates (of which her target was in the deepest, strongest cell in the basement). Smashing in would likely kill half the inmates and free the rest, which would be really really bad, and give much more gravity to stopping it. Her wanting to get Doug and Brody back is actually just incidental rather than front-and-center because of that. It'd also explain why Libra actually knew what the truck's intended route was and could plan their assault accordingly - Aligula still thought that Doug and Brody were in their cell.

An issue with BBB's adaptation is the writer is really bad about knowing what to cut and what to keep. And now that we've seen what they can pen on their own, it's not saying a lot of good things. A lot of details from the adapted stories are needlessly nixed, while secondary characters exist for no purpose (Patrick).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

Yeah I know, but I still don't think you need any of that or the warden fight really. A member of the 13 Kings smashing up town is enough reason to get involved, and it's not hard to say they figured out her route from Chain trailing her. I much prefer the stuff with Leo and Aligula to any of the asylum bits.

Because it shows how insanely obsessed Aligula actually is with Doug and Brody and just how dangerous she is with an actual plan and a monster of her own making rather than just rocking around Hellsalem's Lot in a big-rear end car-eating truck. All the obscene chaos and untold lives lost her plan will cause count for nothing to her and work to show just to what lengths she'll go to to get to them. The anime version is basically just a crush by comparison aside from her fusing Doug and Brody together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

It looked great but a few episodes ago I did that thing where I'm totally going to go back and catch up with it any day now, honest, so it's dropped.

You're pretty much set for all the completely-good episodes if you're up to Z's Longest Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

second anime had some good moments and a cool supporting cast but a fairly boring lead. he doesn't drag the show down all on his own but by god does he try

So it's on par with Build Fighters Try? :v:

• Locked thread