Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Baal posted:

I like King Crimson's design and the power is cool, but it should not be like super strong and able to punch through people. That's loving insane.

Araki could put King Crimson's double faces on Tusk Act 1's body and I would believe it could punch through people like overripe melons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Yeah it's somewhat tempered by the fact that Rohan isn't creeping on girls in general (cough worst character in MHA cough), but more that he's a weirdo overzealous mangaka who just has to know all the nitty gritty details about someone if they pique his interest at all. Remember when Rohan pretty much killed a guy to satisfy his own curiosity?? The Reimi thing is still a bit off-color for me but then I think of how Rohan murdered someone and then almost got murdered himself because he's a little poo poo when using Heaven's Door, haha.

Also would have loved to see a scene where Rohan reads Kira like, "Kira Yoshikage got his first boner looking at a picture of the Mona Lisa in class, uses women's severed hands to wipe his own butt" <-- ACTUAL CANON FACT ABOUT KIRA

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

I guess? I get how it fits his character and agree and it didn't even get super verboten to me until that one bit at the end(the immense creepiness of being held open and literally read like a book aside), but that doesn't really help it become less awkward to show to the non-manga-reading people I watch it with, or change that I groaned "what in the clear blue gently caress, Araki" when I read it. Even for this series, just man... Guess it's just one of those things.

Maybe they'll cut it? lol

Did Jotaro's costume change happen in this chapter? Did his costume change? It's been a while.

That rat flip was the raddest bit of animation all episode.

Hey, even things I really cherish and enjoy usually have at least one moment that makes me go "whoa, ok, why did you write this like that," I think in JJBA the clearest example for me (or the one that comes to mind quickest) is Babyface in part 5. Araki may have perfect skin but sometimes his writing can fall a little short of that :v: Not just in the this-is-weird-but-in-a-bad-way sense, but mostly in that he doesn't tend to plan ahead and plain forgets things a lot.

And yes, Jotaro has had his first costume change, the "I loving love dolphins" look. I think next up is the immaculate turtleneck + vest + fannypack combo.

edit: bringing in stuff from the anime thread because future part spoilers

Begemot posted:

It's probably a shared stand. It doesn't happen very often but it's a thing. Stands can do or be anything.
Yeah, I remembered in SBR that happened with human stand users at least...twice? And Foo Fighters is technically an entire mass of plankton sharing one consciousness/stand (because Pucci, like Akira, was going around inserting stand powers into any drat thing he could find, I guess).

Moltrey posted:

It's never explained, but I've rationalized it as rats aren't mentally complex enough to even be able to manifest different Stands

I wonder if there's any sort of cutoff for determining how intelligent/spiritually strong an organism has to be to develop complex stands? It looks like manifesting a stand bestows animals with above-average-for-their-species intelligence anyways...and since that tree (grove of trees?) in Jojolion has a stand, does that mean other trees of that species will have the same stand? Or does it have to do with the terroir of that specific area? Give me the answers to my stupid and pointlessly in-depth lore questions, Araki!

standard owl fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 16, 2016

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

oh wow, I actually forgot about the Big Thing that bothers me about JJBA (stuff that happens to Lucy and Yasuho), I honestly can't believe I so effectively blocked it from my own memory that it must be the work of an enemy stand :psyduck:

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

but that's what really notches his ability into "would be way too powerful except it's loving Rohan" territory.

I always liked that part 4 gets more involved with the concept of a stand's raw utility/power being, I guess, 'incompatible' with the user. Okuyasu would be an incredibly terrifying fighter but he's not great with on-the-fly thinking and doesn't have much confidence in himself in that respect (also he is a nice and pure boy at heart); Heaven's Door is totally op but Rohan doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than manga; Kira's already doing a great job messing up Morioh behind-the-scenes but he could do so much more damage if his greatest ambition in life wasn't "just spend a nice quiet evening home with my gf"; Mikitaka is basically tricked into teaming up with Josuke to swindle Rohan out of pocket money instead of...literally anything else useful, and so on.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

e: Also unless I missed one in the vide compilations, concerning lack of Bowie references in the first four parts so far.

:3:

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

at the time he was just satisfied with licking her hand like a fucko creep, but as time went on he became desensitized to these paltry perversions and had to satisfy his fetish in more and more hosed up ways.

a cautionary tale.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I thought all the soup cans in the Chase opening were a reference to Jojolion Kira but then I remembered he had like, cans of peas in his cabinets actually? So now I think davidpro is a believer in the Senator Cruz (R-TX) = serial killer theory,

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

BaDandy posted:

A close friend linked this to me and asked me to explain and I hate that I'm able to.

https://twitter.com/ponzholic/status/497345010312822785/photo/1

of the many things that are good about this, the small secret thing that I like is the 5555555

ゴゴゴゴゴゴゴ

edit and the clock showing 9 seconds

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Moltrey posted:

Weather Report is almost 40, and Jolyne is like what 18? So that would be weird but it'd still be better than Annasui.
well "Weather Report" as a person only started existing 23 years prior to the start of Stone Ocean, therefore :goonsay:

Also, Bohemian Rhapsody is going to be renamed to Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C-sharp minor by Franz Liszt. That will be the full entire name of the stand.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Girlsui wants to marry Jolyne, is informed that gay marriage is still not legal in 2011 Florida, responds with "I am in jail for murder, do you think I give a poo poo"

anyway, that's my fanfiction, remember to like and subscribe.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Pucci only drinks wine/the blood of Christ, like a good Catholic boy

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

the kkk thing was an accident, please be nice to Pucci, he tried his best

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I forget, the kkk got involved because of miscegenation yeah?

Pucci found out that the guy his little sister started seeing was actually their brother, and was like "well I can't just tell her, it will traumatize her for life" so he hired a guy to break the couple up. The guy turned out to be a secret KKK member (but still accepted the job from Pucci? who is...visibly not white??), and when he did some digging he found that Wes Bluemarine's (adopted) mom used to be married to a black man, so he assumed that Wes was mixed (which I guess, looking at Pucci, his twin brother...is true??), and got mad that Wes was dating a white girl. So instead of Wes having a wacky story about how he had to break up with a girl when he was 16 because some weird old private dick yelled at him, Stone Ocean happened.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I greatly object to the notion that any genderswapped version of a character from parts 1/2/3 would be skinny with big titty, they should be beefy with big titty.

Stallion Cabana posted:

most of those aren't overtly weird or beyond what the male version of the character was wearing (Kira exchanging his pants for a short skirt is, kind of, but it's not super short), but I really do not get female Pucci's boobwindow. He didn't have that himself did he?
unfortunately no, we didn't get a peek of that hot priest cleavage and ab double action

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

my cellmate saw Father Pucci take his shirt off in the shower, and he said that Father Pucci had an 8 pack. that Father Pucci was shredded.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

manga Jotaro: the man with the most unbreakable ankles, will not deign to put his rear end on the filthy land

anime Jotaro: sits down like a normal person

smh those damned SJWs have struck again......

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I want to see Rohan try to bribe Koichi into hanging out with him

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I can't recall exactly if DIO had The World when he and Pucci first met, but didn't he give Pucci an arrowhead as a parting gift/way to meet up again? And then the arrow stabs the poo poo out of Pucci's neck later during his backstory stuff, giving him and Weather stands. So at that point DIO must have at least known what the arrow does to worthy people.

And when they're hanging out later he definitely has The World and jams Pucci's fingers into his own brain to see if Pucci will take his stand disc. You know, normal friend stuff.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

underneath The World's mask is a sick rear end forehead tattoo

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Also I think in Jorge Joestar some characters get "Beyonds," which are beyond Stands and are named after movies? Unfortunately I haven't heard if Kars gets a Beyond named [ Pixar's Cars (2006) ]

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Milagro Man reminds me a lot of Superfly/Cheap Trick but also like Araki's weird spin on an SCP entry or some other creepypasta. That stand (???) design is cool as hell too.

Joshuu is a real jerk though, that guy was saying he was unable to buy food and other necessities for two years, but Joshuu has a family he can freeload off of!

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Jotaro already got his hand melted earlier this month from not being cautious around unknown stand users. Plus his Dad Instincts are out in full force with Koichi, he has to look out for this small foolish boy.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Kira ranting about how he won't use exercise machines at the gym because guys could've touched them with their jerkoff hands is just *chef kissing fingers gesture*

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

in a way, all those scenes Araki loves to write about random bystanders getting their collective shits wrecked by stands/etc. were justified

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Everyone badmouthing Koichi is gonna get some real egg on their faces when Sheer Heart Attack comes out and he bullies grown rear end adult man Kira Yoshikage to tears with the power of words

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Kira is 33 in 1999, Diavolo is 34 in 2001 (meaning he was responsible for Trish's conception at 19 years of age, could've been a single teen dad), Pucci is 39 in 2011 which makes him a year younger than Jotaro actually. He potentially could have been a fellow student hanging out with the Stardust Gang.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

there are plenty of ways that you can hurt a man and bring him to the ground

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Gappy's "suke" is a different kanji than Josuke Classic and I don't know whether or not that one can be read as Jo. However, Norisuke's "suke" is the same as Our Good Boy, so yes, at least 2 Jojos.

Actually, part 4's Josuke's name is 仗助 and Josuke 2.0's name is 定助; they have the same "suke" (being a common component of given names for boys), but the Jo is different! Norisuke's birth name is 常助, yet another Josuke - and he's the 4th Higashikata Norisuke, and his mom is Higashikata Tomoko, so he's more Josuke than Jojolion Josuke in some respects.

Buuut J8suke is part Kujo Josefumi, who can also be a Jojo, and part Kira Yoshikage, who in this universe is the son of Holly Joestar; they both seem to take the place of SBR Jotaro, at least genealogically (unless that's going to be Kyo). So he's like...at least twice the Jojo of any other protagonist.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Part 5 isn't my favorite but I still care deeply about the hero gang, please stop slandering these good wholesome crime boys and one spicy girl

I like Giorno because even though he talks a big game about being a force of righteousness and justice or whatever, he starts out the series as a petty swindler, acts all nice and polite to others if he thinks it will benefit him, volunteers to drive even though he doesn't have a driver's license, and is the Jojo most likely to go with "just straight up kill a guy" as his first solution to a problem. He wouldn't even be like "lol what do you mean don't kill him" because the dude in question would already be murdered

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Also I must remind everyone that Mista used to go around beating dudes up for dissing Clint Eastwood, not because he looks up to his cool gunslinger persona but because Mista's favorite movie is loving The Bridges of Madison County

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Kira Yoshihiro is the best father in the entire series.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Caato is amazing, I love that bit where she just hands the DVD to Norisuke like it's no big deal and he starts freaking out

Josuke's in need of some cash money? Looks like the Milagro Man won't be such an irrelevant interlude after all.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

The anime thread's talking about the arrows, so let me ask if I've got this right off the top of my head:

- Diavolo finds the arrowheads on some archaeological dig when he was what, 19? so in 1986?
- Enya buys some (?) of the arrows from him, while he keeps at least one to stab prospective gang initiates with
- She uses the arrows to give stand powers to DIO and some of his underlings, although a few have had their stands since childhood
- DIO gives one of the arrowheads as a gift to Pucci when they first meet, I'm assuming he gets it back when they start hanging out in Egypt
- Kira Yoshihiro, on a trip to Egypt, somehow meets Enya and obtains one of the bow and arrow sets from her (this is the bit I'm most unsure of)
- He stabs the poo poo out of his kid sometime after Reimi's murder (which was in 1983), maybe stabs himself to gain ghost photo powers
- Sometime in Keicho's adolescence (a few years before the start of DiU?) he tracks down what happened to DIO's posse and finds a bow and arrow, stabs some various Morioh residents
- Otoishi steals the bow and arrow from Keicho and kills him, goes around stabbing a couple rats
- Ghost dad grabs the arrow that was in his house and stabs even more guys, including a 6th grader and a cat

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

There are numerous better ways to assess the threat level of a strange woman in your house than demanding her breast milk

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Anyway, Caato isn't just a hot mom, she's a hot grandma. Where's my Araki Hirohiko Presents: Higashikata Caato Roasts Her 9 yo Grandchild

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Moltrey posted:

iirc Kars somehow convinced Killer Queen to leave Kira and now Kars has Killer Queen
sounds about right, it's well known that Kars loves animals

if Kars and DIO team up somehow in Eyes of Heaven I'm calling shenanigans because there's no way Kars would let literal dog killer Dio Brando go unmurdered

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

he wouldn't even deign to eat him.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Butt Ox posted:

I wonder what Hato's stand can do when she's not wearing heels
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcaneal_spur

Maybe she can extend another extremity, like fake nails or hair extensions, but she just uses her heels because it looks loving radical to pierce a man's skull like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

It could be that Araki decided on the generational King naming scheme beforehand and was just like, "nice, I can finally put in a Rihanna reference"