Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

your description of steel ball run is very rude to johnny

Johnny is a very rude boy himself, that's what he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Do you think anyone else will ever be able to pull off Jotaro's cigarette trick?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I still think it's funny that Vanilla Ice managed to kill more of the Crusaders than DIO did. Of course, they would be even if Jotaro hadn't gotten Joseph's heart pumping again.

Joseph was fuckin' dead, they had to use bullshit Speedwagon science to revive him.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
DIO actually did take control of Joseph, but Jotaro scares the poo poo out of him now so he decided to cut his losses and just live out the old man's life.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Well. Jotaro could only do it for like 1-2 seconds at that point. DIO has 5 seconds now, and then he goes super saiyan and it jumps to 9, which is enough to beat pretty much anyone else in JoJos unless they can move during the time stops like Jotaro

The only reason why Jotaro even beat DIO was because he was really loving crafty with his time stop. DIO spends most of the frozen time being his own fabulous hypeman.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Jotaro let DIO inside of him, duh.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I think I might be in the minority here, but I think stats are unimportant in Jojo since battles are won with wits instead of power. Sperging over stats in JoJo is just a waste of time.

I think most people feel the same, at least around here. Lots of people have totally busted Stands, and end up losing because they get so full of themselves they just try to dominate their opponent. Even the main characters fall into this trap sometimes; look at when Josuke and Okuyasu figured Harvest is just a lovely Stand that's only good for picking up trash.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waffleman_ posted:

Happy Birthday! Araki allegedly turns 55 today, June 7!

I'll celebrate after he shows his birth certificate. :colbert:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Star Platinum posted:

Pretty sure it was said that Crazy D can't heal diseases or anything caused by old age, basically he can "just" fix injuries (which is still pretty good).

Well considering he can also fuse dudes into a rock and change food into their base components I don't think Josuke really knows how much Crazy Diamond can do until he tries it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kurtofan posted:

is this pre or post coitus.

Probably both.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Million Ghosts posted:

I feel like there's no "lol jojo so gay" joke that hasn't been made thousands of times.

who the gently caress is telling a joke?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbtUGsEIAkA

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Meme Emulator posted:

Was the bit with Nukesaku shooting DIO in the original, I feel like thats new. I loved it

I think in the manga it was just random shadowy dudes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I've been wondering since I first read this part: Why do the knives stop seconds away from Jotaro? I mean time is stopped, but they traveled half the distance.

There seems to be a range in which poo poo thrown by DIO moves normally, but once it leaves that range, it's subject to time stop.

Alternatively, shonen power bullshit.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The anime thread is going to continue complaining that Joseph isn't the star into Part 4, aren't they?

e: Christ some people are going to call the first half filler

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 15, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sekkira posted:

Most of it is filler though. But it's still fantastic.

Is it really filler if you're not trying to waste time? I don't think Araki was waiting until he could think up Kira, I think it was a calculated decision to turn it into a slice-of-life deal for a while.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sekkira posted:

Well, my definition of filler is parts that don't further or necessarily tie in to the overarching plot. I don't necessarily see filler as wasting time.

I'd argue that establishing the world and the characters is at least as important as the search for the bow and arrow. We spend all of Part 4 in Morioh, we need to know about the town and its relevant residents. I just can't see all that as filler, as the stakes Kira introduces would be so empty if we didn't know Josuke and his friends.

Some chapters could be excised, I suppose, but most of them are ones where Araki does a lot of exploration of the concept of Stands so even that seems important to the series as a whole.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

In Araki's how to draw book, there's a picture of the chick from the start of JoJolion with her boobies out with really weird nipples which is gross, and then a super cool naked Gappy without nipples which is less gross.

He is wearing his hat though. I wonder if we'll ever see under it?

You mention naked Gappy but you don't even say if he has a quad sack?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sekkira posted:

How immune is he to being turned into a donut?

I don't think you really understand John Cena.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Joseph trolling Jotaro was everything I could have hoped for animated.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'll never get over that Joseph came back from death and, within an instant of grasping the situation, he decides "I am going to gently caress with my grandson so goddamn hard."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it's easy to counter aqua necklace, just swallow a glove. obviously.

It's impressive just how much bullshit Josuke pulls on his opponents. He is undoubtedly his father's son.

Stairmaster posted:

I don't see how comparing the ova to the anime isn't a legitimate line of discussion, friend.

Because no one gives a poo poo if someone wants gratuitous explosions.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's still looks like piss and poop though.

Some people are into that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Just gonna respond to this here

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As a note, Star Platinum has now been renamed to "Star Platinum: The World".

I was hoping it'd get a new image on the Stand stat screen, but it didn't.

I don't think Star Platinum lost stats simply from Jotaro discovering the time stop ability, but because Jotaro hasn't used his Stand much in between 3 and 4. He's been focusing more on marine biology, at worst he'd have to punch a shark or something and even then he'd probably prefer not to.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

It doesn't get the namechange until part 6, though, which is when he's mastered the time stop ability to its fullest extent. In part 3 and 4 it's still just Star Platinum

I'm pretty sure this happens in Part IV, actually. I believe this is from Part IV.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I love the one comment about what an icon Weird Al is, as if the guy needed the pep talk.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every villain in JoJo starts off in big buff scary bad man style then deflate instantly after they're beating. Okuyasu goes from super detailed buff man to the kuwabara knock off we love in like 3 pages, Lcok and Surface shrink, Tonio goes in and out of it once Josuke pushes his buttons. Even rohan had that super buff over detailed look going until Josuke beat the poo poo out him.

It's a neat art style thing Araki seemed to be doing throughout the part.

Well, except Valentine. He didn't exactly have the time to look like more of a douche after getting beaten but man did he get more intimidating over the course of the series.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bad Seafood posted:

He found DIO.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bifauxnen posted:

I haven't been reading Jojolion hardly at all yet, but I don't care about spoilers in JoJo so I clicked this. I was disappointed that this so-called "big reveal" wasn't about Gappy's balls.

Well those have already been revealed to Yasuho, the lucky girl.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheKingofSprings posted:

That is and probably will always be my favorite arc in the entire series

Nothing else comes close.

Beetle Tendency is probably the closest to it for me, but everything about Let's Eat Italian is basically flawless.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Koichi, with his head blocked by butts

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Really into the art write-up. I always found the range and detail of expression in Araki's work to be really interesting, but I'm not very well versed in the lingo so it's hard to put it into words.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

littleorv posted:

Oh I didn't realize there was such a thing as phreaking. I googled it and I understand now, thank you. Now it is time to go back to reading Jojo.

Yeah that's one of those times where JJBA shows its age. Around 92-93, kids of the age where they'd be reading the manga would probably have heard about phreaking in the news at some point. It only made sense to me when I first read it because I learned about it when I was studying network security.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sekkira posted:

I disagree. Because the part is set during a specific time in the 90s. I similarly feel that Stardust Crusaders has a very 80s feel to it because of when it's set. Battle Tendency and Phantom Blood stand out from that IMO, as while they're set in specific times, the story elements don't really seem to touch the plots.

I do think manga translators should put little trivia notes at the end of the chapters explaining certain things like that which isn't common knowledge these days. And if we get it animated, maybe translator notes in a text file accompanying the episode?

I don't know what you think I meant, because all I meant by "showing its age" was "this was written in the 90's".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Who would win in a fight, Araki or Rohan?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

Jolyne is a top-tier JoJo in every way.

Sadly, I've talked to people before who don't like her because she's a female character who isn't jacking off bait. I'm pretty sure at least one of them will end up on a register.

The weird thing is that they can't see the appeal of a badass like Jolyne.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BaDandy posted:

"Pluck" fits Jonathan better than Luck would. Where Dio is incredibly lucky and is bailed out of a lot of the terrible decisions he makes, Jonathan is mainly helped by "pluck" or his tremendous courage, in addition to using his luck to his advantage, like with using that kick to impale Dio on the statue or what-have-you. Brueford is recognizing his courage by having Luck also be Pluck.

gently caress, is that it? I guess I just forgot "pluck" was a word. You never really hear anyone call someone "plucky", anymore.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Similarly, the best Jolyne fan art is little kid Jolyne.

Little kid Jolyne is on a whole different level.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

Kid Jolyne doesn't feel right if she's not with Josuke. It just feels like it's a huge missed opportunity and Little Jolyne goes to Morioh is the best not lewd doujinshi comic of all time.

Did anyone ever translate the one set in winter to English? I've only ever seen it in Spanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nah I meant this one

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/jojos-bizarre-adventure-papa-to-jolyne-to-josuke-doujinshi-r14055