Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

One of my favorite things about Jojo is the way it develops and changes over the years. It's one of the reasons I prefer the manga to the anime, as well as how some of Part 3's rougher, "Rawer" fights managed to endear themselves to me. It's like having access to someone's ever-changing sketchbook and watching them experiment. When Araki introduces some bad guy with a particular design only to simplify it in the very next chapter, I always chuckle. Over-extended yourself, eh? I thought it was cool how stands started out as a kind of visual embodiment for otherwise invisible psychic powers, only for Araki to change his mind and make them a bunch of horror film pastiches, only for Araki to change his mind again and make them more akin to zany superpowers with exacting drawbacks. It's uneven at times and not always entirely coherent, but it fascinates me to watch his ideas evolve even as his execution doesn't always keep pace.

I think that's why it appeals to me too. It's a lot like looking at a cross-section of rock strata and being able to point out the different changes the earth went through, if that makes sense. It's really inspiring to me from a creative stand point and the fact that he was drawing and writing about what appealed to him at the time and that it continues to resonate with so many people, especially the concept of stands, makes me feel really....I don't know, nice?

I'd really love a full translation of that writing comics book he wrote. I like looking at different people's writing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

I'm feeling this, mainly because I showed a friend of mine that Josefumi picture before the translation was out and his first reaction was "O-Okuyasu?" The removal power being linked to The Hand really does seal it for me but I guess that'll be confirmed when we have more info.

e: The fact that Yoshikage and Josefumi were apparently working together on something, probably the rock fruit thing or even something else is super intriguing to me...

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 28, 2015

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Clearly Joseph slept around in this universe too and Josefumi's the result. :v:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
That's still a pretty tasteful picture and she looks like a regular woman instead of simpering uguu moe-bait.

The logic that Araki put into her was great.

quote:

The protagonist of JoJo Part 6 is a woman. Why a 『woman』? That's where it gets tricky.
She's a JoJo protagonist, so she's gotta be tough enough to not get disheartened even if she gets punched in the face. But sometimes she might be crawling around a ditch, or she might have her legs spread open and fall from the top of a building. Having it be a woman is a bit of a tricky setup.
But thinking about that gap, it actually seemed interesting. And it could be a person with great humanity like the Virgin Mary. I felt I just had to make the protagonist a woman.

Jolyne "Sets Self on Fire" Kujo.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Prison Warden posted:

I think Josuke was a better realised protagonist than Jotaro was, or at least, he was far more likeable He comes off as a lot more unsure of himself, and as a really nice guy. Jotaro comments early on that Stands reflect the user and are often violent and destructive, whereas Josuke's stand is a healing Stand. Thinking on that detail, I remember how Josuke's Stand repairs stuff flawed when he is angry, which I suppose supports that, since, well, he isn't feeling super charitable I suppose, when someone makes fun of his hair. For all he's unsure sometimes, he's still a stone-cold badass when he needs to be, and he's got the classic Jojo resourcefulness down. I think one of my favourite moments is in Highway Star (which I really liked), when Josuke is about to hit a baby carriage while on a motorbike, so he smashes the bike, careens wildly through the air, then reassembles the bike once he passes the baby. Amazing.

I loved how that was shown in his stand with the hearts design, especially when you compare it to The World. You can totally take the hearts off of The World and it would look pretty much the same, for instance, but Crazy Diamond is pretty much made entirely of heart shapes and taking that away would make him look completely different.

I also really liked how Jotaro tried to make sincere, if kind of clumsy, efforts to tell Josuke and Koichi and whoever else how awesome and good and perfect they are. He probably laid it on a little thick, but considering what happened to his friends in Stardust Crusaders...

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Dragonatrix posted:

I actually think Joseph got significantly less senile after finding Shizuka at all, and was basically just a normal guy after adopting her. All of his appearances from that point on have it never come up at all anyway. Basically it was just a thing for Red Hot Chili Peppers and the start of We Found Something Dangerous.

I like to think that if you give Joseph a child, it makes him genuinely happy or gives him more power and that's why he's still alive in 2011.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Mikitaka: "I am an alien. My unique physiology allows me to take the form of anything I wish."

Josuke: "We must swindle Rohan."

Truly Josuke is his father's son.

My favorite part of the "I'm an Alien!" arc is when they first meet him and Mikitaka eats the tissues he's given and Josuke looks pretty dumbfounded but he's still a Joestar so it comes across as mild surprise while Oku has that small, confused smile on his face that he gets when he's confronted with things he doesn't understand.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 30, 2015

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I still feel sorry for Ungalo cuz you can tell he got all the Dario genes.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

No, he's not. He got the birthmark when Pucci absorbed the green baby because the baby was Dio's essence(?) (actually idk what it is. It's like a homunculus created from his/Jonathan's bone).

Dio got to be a Joestar like he low-key always wanted.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sekkira posted:

What the hell was with Luck and Pluck, though?

"Pluck" fits Jonathan better than Luck would. Where Dio is incredibly lucky and is bailed out of a lot of the terrible decisions he makes, Jonathan is mainly helped by "pluck" or his tremendous courage, in addition to using his luck to his advantage, like with using that kick to impale Dio on the statue or what-have-you. Brueford is recognizing his courage by having Luck also be Pluck.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

gently caress, is that it? I guess I just forgot "pluck" was a word. You never really hear anyone call someone "plucky", anymore.

Also loving Part 2 of comics analysis.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Nice!

minoru suzuki posted:

part 7 is filled with so much...would it even be called fan service? it feels super referential, but it's supposed to be the altered timeline of the events of part 1 caused by pucci right?

This isn't the universe with Irene and the gang, Araki just used the idea of it as a jumping pad to look at a completely different universe.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Erg posted:

She has a tattoo from being in a biker gang even before she goes to jail.

And she was already in jail or juvy or whatever before Stone Ocean because of said gang. If I remember right, she was on her way to getting her life back on track and going to college before she got framed. The only JoJo I can think of who's been in prison more often is maybe Joseph when he was being a lovely teen and getting into fights all the time, but I can't remember if I saw that on his profile or somewhere else. Something about him being arrested a ridiculous amount of times.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Prison Warden posted:

Jolyne got into trouble because she picked up a guys wallet after he dropped it, he started freaking out and phoned the police when Jolyne tried to explain herself it didn't take so she jumped in his car to escape and immediately crashed it.

That's it. I should reread Stone Ocean again, it's been awhile.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Poor Erina.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That makes sense but has been over 20 years since Part 3, surely Jotaro could have gotten at least a second or two more even with being a human. Still, I understand why he can't stop time for too long as it would break any fight he's in and make it too easy/no stakes

It's the art shift, and also he probably just looks younger than he is like Araki does. It isn't that weird, but my mom's side of the family is the same way so maybe I'm just biased.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yeah, Dio could gradually stop time longer and longer because he's a vampire and he has the endurance for it. Time stopping is like using a muscle, which Jotaro hasn't been using for a decade. It's also why Dio used time stop for trivial things or just to clown around while Jotaro had to use it strategically because it takes a pretty big amount of exertion. By the time Stone Ocean roll around, he's just gotten old, no matter how young he looks. :v:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
That's a good runner up, but first place actually belongs to Unphotogenic Jotaro.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Aurain posted:

DIO would have been the better timestop dad.

He'd be the better normal dad too.

DIO loves all of his children equally. Giorno, Rykiel, Versace and.....Bungalow. :v:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Prison Warden posted:

The main issue with the ending is Pucci wins entirely through author fiat. And I guess that's the only reason anything happens in a story, but usually there's more than a token effort at obfuscating that. I also don't like endings where everyone just dies, but that's a personal thing. I was also really happy in Steel Ball Run that Johnny addresses the issue that if Gyro is replaced by an alternate version of him, it's not really the same dude, his friend is still dead, which is a bit of a bugbear of mine too and so I didn't really like Emporio just farting off with Irene and Co at the end of SO. But Pucci had three cool stands and Emporio beating him was bad rear end.

I think Emporio knows that too but what choice does he have, really? He's outside of the prison on his own for the first time in his life, his only friends are dead and he's stuck in some alternate world with alternate versions of his friends (or acquaintances at least) so going with them must have seemed like the natural thing to do.

I'm sort of on the fence about the ending but I'm kind of a sucker for bittersweet endings myself. Even I had to take a break after SO though, oof.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

standard owl posted:

King Crimson basically lets Diavolo use the power of jump cuts on reality (I've seen this joke used a couple times on Nico Nico so I'm pretty sure that's how it works :nyoron:)

Weirdly, this explanation makes the most sense to me.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Prison Warden posted:

Pucci attained Stairway to Heaven. this Stand works using time manipulation (and Gravity I guess?)

It basically has the stand user become a singularity point (like what's on the inside of black holes, theoretically), so yes that's what [Gravity] has to do with it, I'm guessing.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah but I think that was used more to mean destiny, or just people being drawn together, which is a thing in part 6, but C-Moon also controls actual gravity. I mean, this is shounen so batshit equivalence of different things is par for the course.

This and it's implied that Dio had actual gravity in mind for what he was doing too because why else would he tell Pucci to go to a place where actual gravity is a bit weaker? He (and Araki) must have really liked A Brief History of Time or something.

If you really want to get technical, Gravity as Destiny and certain people being drawn to one another has been part of JoJo since Phantom Blood. Or at least that's the conclusion Dio came to, anyway.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Harefield Terrace posted:

I don't see part 6 as "rocks fall, everyone dies" so much as "things got crazy for string girl and the punch ghosts; good thing that child killed a priest". Good didn't really win but neither did evil. Status quo wasn't preserved. Everything got shuffled so new stories could be told. And I'm cool with that.

Yeah, the only way to really "win" against Dio is to never have played the game in the first place.

Bad Seafood posted:

It's an idea I've tossed around, but I've never committed to it.

I'd love to read it if you ever manage to do commit to JoJo Effort Posts: The Blog.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Personally, I can't wait to see how Kira and Josefumi are related, and I'd love to see more of what Kyo has to say about the whole thing. :allears:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I forget who asked about the SBR road trip but someone Google Mapped the route in case anyone wants to make road trip plans.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Ekusukariba posted:

I think he was going to shred Josuke's friend and mother (?), so speaking of Steel Ball Run can someone remind me why Johnny can suddenly walk again?

Accepting Jesus into his heart, obviously.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i mean obviously diego is #1 boyfriend but gyro is kind of a given to be on the list

No lies detected.

WickedHate posted:

Has anyone else watched Interview with the Vampire? Does anyone else think Lestat is really really Dio-like?

In other words, absolutely.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
The color scheme kinda reminds me of the SMT Metatron design but that's probably a funny coincidence.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Pomp posted:

I hope none of the dios trust eachother

I especially want Scary Monsters Diego to think they're all weird psychos since he's arguably the least douchey, either that or just loving bail on them.

Or God DIO might just kill all of them off because they're competition or whatever.

Honestly, I think The World Over Heaven might be able to gently caress with the timeline(s) and that's why all that weird time nonsense is going on in the storyline (Speedwagon showing up when SDC should have ended, Rohan finding DIO's diary somehow, etc). It's a very Araki thing to do, plus it's a convenient way to bring every character together. Maybe he's in the process of getting rid of every timeline where he doesn't win? I guess we'll see. :allears:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Heaven Dio looks and seems like a bad fanfic OC and yet I am eagerly awaiting to play as/fight him.

God drat you, Araki.

He seems like a bad fanfic OC as written by DIO, which is even better imo.

EDIT: That'd be pretty funny, now that I'm thinking about it. "DIO realizes he's in a shounen manga and tries to rewrite how JoJo's Bizarre Adventure went" would be something I'd watch. It doesn't even sound that far-fetched, considering.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 17, 2015

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Realizing he's in a shonen manga, DIO gets Pucci to coerce Araki into letting him win. Araki, realizing what a threat he could be, makes the story into a video game via his Stand power. Only too late did DIO realize that this would mean he was eternally subject to being beaten by skilled players who picked up the game.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I love the person who mentioned Star Platinum Requiem, DIO deserves to end up in the looping ORA dimension

The circle is now complete.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Jotaro "How Do You Do Fellow Teens" Kujo

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

While I'd agree it's not usually what people think of, I'd disagree that it's its own thing. It laid down a lot of the thematic and relational foundations for the series and is deeply connected with the overall metanarrative. Moreso than Part 2, I'd argue.

:agreed:

If anything, Part 2 is where Araki's storytelling voice and style for the series started to actually gel. But Part 1 is so important for establishing a showcase for the development of both the Joestar Bloodline and, yeah, Dio, particularly the Les Miserables undercurrent happening with the Joestar's inherent kindness ("I gave him that ring" "Didn't he tell you I gave him that wallet?") and even with all of the terrible poo poo that happens because one man wanted to repay another, the lesson his son learned from his father still helps create the biggest force for good for the modern world by way of the SPW and that being a kind, cool, and understanding dude is way more important to being a gentleman (or a man, or a person in general) than power by any means necessary. It sets the optimistic, pay it forward, light at the end of the tunnel feeling that's important to the series, which is maintained even if the good guys don't always necessarily win and I think that's really important. Reading through Phantom Blood again with fresh eyes is a real treat and it makes me sad that some people skim the story to get to "the good parts". JoJo is supposed to be a slow boil so when you get to Jolyne falling sideways because gravity is being screwed with it's just sort of the logical next step.

EDIT: but anyway yeah Phantom Blood is great and also Speedwagon is there.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 18, 2015

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Pootybutt posted:

Part 1 is a lot of fun for what it is and while tou could argue it isn't strictly necessary to see it to be caught up, I can't imagine what happens in SC having anywhere near the same impact without knowing who Dio is and how far back he goes with the Joestar line.

Not to mention the SPW and why exactly they're helping out this rando rich-rear end family kill a vampire.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I handle it like Dio and think of "Jojo" as Jonathan.

Joseph doesn't really go by that nickname anymore, Jotaro generally seemed to be called his regular name, I don't remember anyone ever calling Josuke that, Giorno is GioGio, and Jolyne would probably beat the bejesus out of you if you called her Jojo given what happened with her boyfriend.

I thiiiiiink some people who kinda sorta know Jotaro and Josuke as acquaintances call them by JoJo and then their Real Bros call them by their actual name. I think it's a nice touch though that Jolyne will only let her mom call her that, though.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc5yzR2FCps

Somebody help him. :smith:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Might as well yell at me too because seriously.

six dios. six fuckgin dio and one of them is an NPC and Hot Pants is only in NPC town. This is bullshit.

where is my DIego/Hot Pants tag team?? where is it??? how you gonna have two diegos and then tell me diego and hot pants can't tag team?

this started as a joke but now i'm actually annoyed for real!!!

edit: unless there's something I missed about what NPCs actually do or something, but still!

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Oh, thank god.

We're no closer to Hot Pants, but thank god all the same.