Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scummy. Really. We're now at the point that graphics not being good enough is the developers being scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall when they're starting the development cycle for new games. MGS4 came out the same year as Fallout 3, and then they went and built a whole new engine for MGS5. How much time does Bethesda spend trying to graft some better features into the next game, and how early does it get locked down so they can just generate content? Sometimes it does seem like they'd be better served using those seven(!) years to scrap those really ancient tools and start fresh for a new system generation.

Bethesda released games since Fallout 3 came out, they were presumably not just working on FO4 for the entirety of that time frame. (Same with MSGV since Kojima had Peace Walker at minimum between IV and V.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 14, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I have learned is that people take Fallout's setting as a lot more realistic and serious that I do. Part of why I enjoyed it is that even without pop culture references it was patently ridiculous and goofy, much like Mad Max, not a serious analysis of post-nuclear life and recovery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The ability to pacify dudes with my gun alone is a way cooler perk than almost anything in FO3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I don't like it being divided into three separate perks, though.

I don't really get the problem with it being divided into different perks. There are tons of perks and abilities that are not universal.

It's a hefty perk investment but it kinda needs to be if it actually works well because that is absurdly powerful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest one of the big things I'm happy about is that INT is no longer theoretically an all-dominating stat. It'll probably still be OP but at very least you're less likely to have the situation where a high-INT character was better at combat than a low-INT character who specialized in the appropriate stats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is absurdly hard to balance sneaking to be fair.

If it is too weak then it's worthless because it only has to screw up once to ruin your day. If it's too strong then it's effectively invincibility. You really need more complex sneaking mechanics than Fallout is likely to have to make it 'balanced.'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malpais Legate posted:

I was just looking for rationale behind over a century of stagnation. Sure, I got multiple quality explanations, but could've gone without the "because that's how the game is????" responses.

Because it is how the game is. It is that way for stylistic reasons and trying to justify stylistic reasons almost always leads to stupidity because not everything needs to be over-explained. That is what gets you the Star Wars EU.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

frajaq posted:

I like your theory better.

Also lol at complaining about laser musket, what was "wacky" in Fallout 2 that some people didn't like? I didn't play 1 and 2

2 had a ton of pop culture references and in-jokes. You could get into a boxing match with NotMikeTyson who bit off your ear (which showed up in your inventory.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In an ideal universe I'd buy PC games.

In this universe 7 out of 10 games I'm interested in buying at launch end up being "boy, looks like another lovely PC port" ranging from Saint's Row having a mission that can't be finished if your FPS is wrong to Arkham Knight being lol, so barring a good deal or cheap prices I buy console because while it can still gently caress up it's less likely for there to be hugely crippling bugs. (Bethesda is one of the few companies I can't depend on that from which is why I'm probably getting FO4 on PC, mod support being the other reason.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Are you really still bitching about Saints Row 2 or is there some other bug in a subsequent game I'm unaware of.

Saint's Row IV had a glitch where if your FPS wasn't proper there was a mission that couldn't be completed because one of the doors in the spaceship you were escaping closed at the wrong time. A friend of mine got hit by it which is why it sticks with me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

There is already a common objective measurement of intelligence, I don't see how it's such a stretch to just imagine the equivalent IQ score of "4 INT".

IQ is a real lovely measure of intelligence though?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Man I still haven't played this game. Why did it fail?

Because outside of the cool reactive elements it honestly is a pretty bad game. I like Alpha Protocol but it has absurdly bad AI, fairly bad level design, abilities that are broken in goofy ways and a really crap first leve in Saudi Arabia. If you get past that stage it becomes way better but it involves getting past a really crap level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Also, weekly reminder Fawkes was a lady before she became a Super Mutant.

No he wasn't. That was people misreading a thing. They 100% confirmed Fawkes was a guy before the change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mryellowduck posted:

It's also weird why he (or any of the other people with early copies for that matter) haven't posted screens of the map or perk list.

I'm suspecting maybe Bethesda has given the go ahead to leak certain parts but not others.

Bethesda is very very tight on their NDA. That is literally all I can say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edited to rephrase:

I will say that there seems to be an insane amount of hyperbole on all sides about this game and it's kind of crazy. There have been a ton of posts since I last checked the thread and they largely seem to be people arguing about the most minor of things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 4, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Those screenshots look significantly better than the leaks which makes them dubious to me.

I will say one thing:

I haven't kept up with the leaked screenshot brigade but the last I checked people were posting screenshots where shadows didn't exist and I can confirm that isn't accurate even with the pipboy light on. I don't know if more accurate screenshots have shown up since then.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 4, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inverness posted:

Is this a PC versus Console thing or what?

No, I'm referring to the console version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

How can you confirm this? Please post mad leak pictures, preferably of cats.

I can confirm it because I have played it. There are absolutely shadows in the game. I am fairly comfortable saying this because I don't think confirming that shadows exist in a game is a big thing.

...?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geoff Zahn posted:

I think it's overall safe to say that no open world game can have that deep of a plot without being forced to railroad you

What about Far Cry Blood Dragon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hopterque posted:

yes, every open world game, please ignore the one that came out this year that was the exact opposite of this.

I really really really love Witcher 3 but its plot is railroad central, just well-motivated in being so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xii posted:

The DLC's plot is quite interesting though.

I need to buy the DLC, I'm waiting for it to go on Steam Sale so I can justify re-buying the PC version cuz I'm a sucka.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Though on the other hand, Billy Zane would be good to have in this game. He's a cool guy.

Let me tell you about a game called Kingdom Hearts.

The Goatfather posted:

the biggest problem with the witcher 3 is that it defaults back to the main quest and railroads you along instead of encouraging you to explore the world because 90% of the awesome poo poo in that game is totally off the path of the main quest chain

Yeah, I admit, I found 'fantasy rat exterminator" the most compelling part of Witcher 3. "Welp, looks like you got rear end goblins here. Gonna have to go out to my truck and get some rear end Goblin Tincture and we'll get that right cleared up for you."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bholder posted:

Oh and stats beyond 10 counted in Fallout Shelter that might be true for F4 as well

Modified stats from equipment/ect go above 10 in FO4. This was shown on a pre-release stream so I don't think it's an issue to confirm it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dark secret is that nobody posts 10,000 posts a day because they're not excited as poo poo about a game. If you want to see a game people genuinely were apathetic or unexcited by go look at the latest Asscreed thread where it got fewer posts in its entire run than this thread got in the past 8 hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

White Phosphorus posted:

So Fallout 3 fans are mad about Fallout 4 just like Fallout1&2 fans were mad about Fallout 3? Is that what's happening?

No, it's just the usual "there's a big game coming out on SA so the thread must become 90% shitposts" thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

anatomi posted:

Could someone educate eurotrash like me on interesting Bostonians, historical or otherwise? Figure it'd be neat to model the PC after Boston's best/worst.

Create Samuel Adams, get all the beer-based perks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I'm going to make a mele ninja and try and do the old Bethesda ridiculous 1 shot stealth build, my go to of a sniper or a small guns mid range semi sniper. I want stealth I just can't decide on close, mid, or long range. I'm leaning mid though to be honest.

This is the build I did.

You don't have to pick. If you go max or almost max agility you can reliably do tons of damage at all three ranges even with 1 Str.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sylink posted:

Do we know if they improved the unarmed/melee at least to Skyrim's level? Skyrim wasn't that involved but at least it looked awesome compared to Fo3s puncha puncha pow

You have a block, an attack and a power hit. There are special finishing move animations in VATS. This including the ability to break someone's neck with a stealth attack if you do it from behind. That's about it.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Do weapons/armor still have hard stat minimums (ie, you can't even swing this weapon without Str 6), or is low stat just mean you are bad at it?

No. You can use any weapon or armor with any build.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Can you target body parts with melee in VATS?

No, VATS targeting is basically unchanged except that it is now in slow motion instead of stop-time and that you can cancel/critbuff attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

So energy, real bullets, etc - doesn't matter stat-wise? No difference?

There are different defensive stats for different attack types.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

But it isn't like FO3/NV where you had to dedicate yourself to 'Only Energy Weapons' or 'Only Standard Weapons'?

It is not. You can use any weapon type effectively. The only thing that matters is that certain perks modify your ability to use those weapons better but your baseline is high enough that a 1STR/1END character can reliably Power Fist their way through enemies or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing to note is that there are certain weapon attributes that benefit certain builds.

Bleed, for example, is good on anything. However it is extremely good on AGI-specced characters because bleed damage ticks down during the slow-motion of VATS. So if you want to melee as a high-AGI/low-STR character you might want to find a knife with the bleed attribute (there's a quest reward that does this) since that will allow you to apply absurd amounts of bleed damage instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Since this is Skyrim With Guns can you still dual wield and can you dual wield a pistol and hatchet more importantly.

No, you have to swap weapons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

No, see, if it doesn't line up with how I think the canon should have progressed after 2, then it doesn't count. Only Interplay gets to decide how the canon goes...unless it's Obsidian in which case they can too because, you know.

See also: People claiming the Star Wars prequels "don't count" even though George Lucas made them.

People have claimed Fallout 2 is a fanfiction version of the universe due to talking deathclaws so it ain't anything new.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If, for some reason, you out leveled all the perks you just wouldn't be able to spend perk points anymore. That's it. You have to manually spend perk points anyway and can back out of the perk screen.

As a side note: Perk points are not level gated. You can gain a perk at level 17 and not spend it and then spend two points on level 18 perks when you hit 18.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al! posted:

Almost as if you can get faster internet if you pay the company more money

Well, or you live in an area where Comcast's infrastructure isn't poo poo. I pay the same in a big city as a friend of mine pays in a smaller town in Michigan but I get literally 4x his speed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the great deceiver posted:

Ha you plebs with your preloads all I have to do is walk into my local Gamestop next Tuesday and bam it's on :smug:

You still have to install on your console.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Reports on Gaf are saying the PS4 version is hosed and the Xbone version is good. Ps3 version was hosed last gen. Bethesda just can't handle playstations I guess.

Also everyone is playing the game on Monday via vpn right.

I would not put overly high amounts of trust in Gaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

At first I thought the prefixes on weapons were just them modded up, but it seems like they're closer to diablo-esque prefixes and not just indicators of what mods they have? That's pretty cool

It is both. There are unique weapons with pre-defined names and special abilities (that can still be customized), loot-drop items with special abilities (that can also be modded), and modded weapons.

• Locked thread