Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm surprised they added it given they were going for more realism but it's probably for the best.

Going to be entertaining if someone fatfingers the jumpdrive when pointed at a planet.

Also yes, jumping the ship and leaving the crew behind would be pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frank.club posted:

Could someone just cheat it and say make what amounts to a really durable two way mirror for this?

You could make a special set of blocks that when looked at, are transparent but occlude any blocks behind them, so effectively you would have a window through the ship wherever you place the block. Pretend it's very clever holograms/video screens.

Sort of like astrometrics in Star Trek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz3CYcjdSaI

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 22, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah that would probably be doable. All it'd really need to be is a texture surface of what's essentially DO NOT RENDER IN THIS DIRECTION.

This is also something that Source can do :v: with a brush at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Under/over paintjob would suggest that the black and white one is designed for atmospheric travel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GotLag posted:

Do any of you guys play From the Depths? I saw a let's play of it on Youtube and bought it, and the builder is a bit intimidating. It does have actual combat and interesting AIs, though. It seems it'd be right up the alleys of a few posters in here.

Yes, it's a lot of fun. Less pretty than space engineers but a lot more content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIYRez4qTE

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 15, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rossmum posted:

The idea is that you turn your 'top' towards the biggest threat. Optimal ship design for space combat is a giant armoured ball with weapons poking out of it like impact sensors on a WWII sea mine - I don't really find that interesting, so I try to deliberately design (manageable) flaws into my ships to give them some flavour.

Concevably the optimal form of the turtle shell idea would be the opposite. Build your ship in a big line, armour the front to hell and back, then point it at the problem to present maximum armour and minimum sillhouette.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rossmum posted:

You'd want it to be able to turn in a hurry, though, in case anything gets beside you - compared to an easy roll.

Ships turn equally well on all axes so far as I know? If we could use off-centre thrust then you could stick thrusters at either end and blast them to flip it quickly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't tried it but do thrusters activated manually through the menu apply offcentre thrust?

If so I kind of want to build a sweet flip booster for my spaceships.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that might just be his normal voice, alas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Update 1.1 released, we have AI enemies.

quote:

Features
- drone enemies
- autopilot improvements
- pirate bases as encounters
- most valuable cargo ships call for backup using their antennas if player trips wrong sensor

Guides & Example mods
- Drone modding guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519946091
- KEEN SWH Pirate base and drone mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519796107
- Pirate base and drone testing world http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519795552

Fixes
- fixed crash when activating ship grinder
- fixed projections acting as solid objects in some situations
- fixed autopilot switching off sometimes
- fixed no explosion sounds when detonating warheads
- fixed correct icons for dedicated server screens
- fixed jump drive crash
- fixed warheads are not damaging voxels properly
- fixed terminal turning off when switching between cameras
- fixed spotlights performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMT5U2I4mg

Also includes teasers for planets if you're curious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uhh... what if your ship only has internal hangar connectors and none that are open to space? :ohdear:

Eject it into the hangar, vent the hangar, duck?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really hope they add projection map support for lights at some point because it would go a long way to making the lighting look cooler, even if only for some objects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I may mostly want it to play space themed minecraft and build bases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also looks like a lake in one of the shots, water could be curious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When they release planets (and spiders) you have to update the bug status to Very Buggy (but play it anyway)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGiggins posted:

Surely they would have considered the strength of such weapons when making the spiders?

You might find the turrets unable to target smallish lifeforms like this.

One would wonder what the point of interior turrets are if they can't target human sized objects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I mean there's space precipitation but it's generally a little more hazardous than the terrestrial variety.

Edit: though possibly only marginally :stare:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 20, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frank.club posted:

God's come to kill you

Seriously why does the planet need to create 50kg balls of ice out of seemingly nowhere for no reason and then hurl them at random places from a cloudless sky?

What the gently caress, nature?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 20, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frank.club posted:

I played it for a bit. Pushed a cart around and then a man came and killed me.

Sounds like a realistic simulation of medieval peasantry to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Just a literal flying boat, and my Engineer is wearing an old-timey diving suit :allears:

I feel like that would be better placed in an entirely different game. Some kind of steampunk KSP.

It's called From The Depths and it's a good game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You made a flying world trade center.

Crash it into a ship for extra irony.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be a huge pedant, Inertial Dampener is an elaborate term for rainfall. Inertial Damper is the magic science fiction device which stops people being in star trek being fused with the back wall of the spaceship when they turn the warp drive on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGiggins posted:

For content: Planets! Can't wait to build an excavation drill!

It's a shame we can't have arbitrarily long pistons because it would be very neat to be able to build boreholes.

I guess conceviably you could make some kind of drilling rig which clamps onto the side of the shaft, extends the drill and a new set of clamps, then disengages the first set and retracts the rear towards the front.

Some kind of drilling inchworm thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You basically can't use the jetpack on planets because otherwise there'd be no need to build stairs. The whole thing kind of requires you to work around gravity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Ugh. Building in gravity sucks. :( I'm used to building everything in zero-G, so trying to make vehicles planetside is killing me (sometimes literally).

On the other hand, a proper garage with welder arms and car lifts could be a boon, and I'd like to try making one sometime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the SE youtubers are painfully dorky.

Though the current XPgamers multi-person series is pretty fun in its way, if you don't find a certain degree of awkwardness offputting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Atmo thrusters scale with altitude, don't they? So I assume it depends on whether the position you're using it at is 1 bar pressure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, that would make sense. For some inane reason it is based on the fixed distance from the planet's center rather than external atmospheric pressure or altitude, which means for best effect it needs to be underground :pseudo:.

"Fixed distance from the planet's center" would be sort of the same thing as barometric altitude, yeah?

I mean obviously if you, like, vaporized a large chunk of the planet IRL then the atmosphere would fall into the hole and there would be a difference. But in practice it's a reasonable approximation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XkyRauh posted:

Meteor Showers have an issue right now where they occasionally spawn INSIDE the planet and "rain" upward to the underside. Because the meteors are starting underground, your turrets can't target them. I'd wager this is what happened to you--the meteors spawned underground, "rained" upward to the underside of your base, and destroyed the Assembler, leaving the Refinery above intact.

I don't know many people who have Meteor Showers enabled, at this point. It's just ridiculous. :\

Which was apparently fixed this patch.

quote:

Summary
This week’s update is all about more bug fixes and improvements, plus our new stable + development branch system.
We've made some fixes to meteorites, so should no longer spawn from inside planets and destroy your bases from below. We will continue to improve and balance them more in the future. Other bugs fixed this week include landing gears unlocking when merging a platform with a large ship, ore detectors missing a range slider, and weapons shooting even when disabled. There have also been more tweaks and fixes made to particles, and multiple crashes resolved.
Finally, this week we're releasing a new stable (and default) branch on Steam. No action is required from players to access this stable branch. If you would like to opt-in to the non-default development branch, you can do so manually via the BETA tab in Steam (see instructions below). The development branch will be updated weekly, while the stable branch will updated about once a month and should provide a more comfortable gameplay experience.
Developer's note: If you publish a mod, blueprint or world from the development branch, it will be tagged as “development” on the Steam Workshop. If you use these creations on the stable branch, you will get a warning message with a list of mods that may not function correctly.

Features
- stable branch released

Fixes
- fixed landing gears unlocking when merging ships
- fixed wrong active mods load order
- fixed weapons still able to shoot when disabled
- fixed terminal / inventory closing after looting cyberhounds
- fixed meteorites hitting from below
- fixed several particles
- fixed misplaced GUI when assigning actions
- fixed reload message
- fixed issues when switching camera
- fixed typo in cubeblock.sbc
- fixed reset of thruster control
- fixed Piston.LimitReached in MODAPI
- fixed small rocket launchers reload issues
- fixed missing slider in ore detector
- fixed batteries welded from projectors
- fixed crash when loading modded worlds

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 01.140 dev version
The development branch contains several work-in-progress planet improvements that are not ready to be moved to the stable branch - please try out the dev branch if you want to help us test them! :)
For those who want to access the dev branch (updated weekly rather than monthly) on Steam, you can do so using the BETA tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJQcff6pj0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I am turbobad at ship design but gently caress me I am super proud of my sick engine cowls:

Yeah you can stand next to the thruster during burns and watch, it owns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Try resetting your controls to default, they added a bunch of controls over time and reworked them a bunch so if you've run the same config for a while they get screwed up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would think rather than a connector it would be easier to dig a tunnel and just dump ore into it and have it fall into a collector.

Dig it over a resource patch and make it look like just a mining tunnel.

Otherwise don't have a base, just a ship, and program it so that it runs at 100% speed all the time and takes evasive action if it runs into an asteroid, by the time you see the ship, it's moving too fast to actually catch so unless you jump in front of it, it's invincible.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 31, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reset your controls to default then try it, any changes to keys aren't automatically added to your controls unless you reset to default.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ambaire posted:

Ok, I just got back from my latest mining trip with 110 metric tons of ore and stone. How do I have it auto transfer to the big storage container next to my ship? Getting a bit old manually dragging across, especially what with other ship inventories cluttering up the screen.
I have the conveyor network in the floor with the container, refineries and other stuff sitting on conveyor junctions.

You can use a conveyer sorter to dump it. They will pull things from their input side and shove it into their output side, you can set one up on your mining ship to dump it into a connector and then one on the base to pull out of the connector and into a cargo container, they work basically like filtered item pumps if you've ever used like buildcraft in minecraft.

If you don't have connectors you can put it into an ejector and position yourself over a collector too, that works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Planetary starts are fun for teaching you how to pilot capital ships with only one direction of thrust.

They're probably the most fun things in the game to fly and extremely practical once you get the hang of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A ship without those would probably not be very useful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's easier if the foot sticks to something but I've built stuff in space before, it's not too tricky. Generally I start by sticking a reactor, gyro, and six thrusters to a cockpit anyway. Usually so I can park it in space somewhere or fly it over a static welder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HappyKitty posted:

Is there any way to just like, tell a conveyor sorter to gently caress off and just be a regular conveyor for a bit? I have a big huge gently caress-off tunnel boring mining ship, and when I want to dock it at a platform for mass refining, I have a docking connector with a conveyor sorter set to whitelist ore only and set to drain all. It does a pretty good job of vacuuming out all the cargo containers, but it means that if I want to send stuff back through the connector, I have to undock and redock at a nearby docking connector that doesn't have the conveyor sorter.

Would something like this work?

Is there anything that would prevent the ore from just looping back through the cargo container array, into the tube and just coming back up into the ore ship again? Could I stick another conveyor sorter set to blacklist ore coming out from the other branch of the cargo container array? Why does this have to be such a big loving deal?

I would think if you put a blacklist sorter on the top spoke of the conveyor split then yes that should work. But you wouldn't be able to send anything but ore to the station still.

Alternatively, you could have a button which deactivates the sorter and engages a pair of connectors on pistons running parallel to the sorter line to create just a normal cargo connection between the two.

It's a fart on yes but I quite like building big mechanical solutions to stuff like that. if you want to I assume you can learn programming to do it instead.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a robust way of making an airlock?

I have something set up with timer blocks but I'm not super fond of it. I wish you could disable local door control and just trigger them remotely, as well as triggering things when you do hit the door button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's mostly just a bit of a faff to set up timers to turn on, cycle one set, cycle the pressure, cycle the other set, then turn them off again, and also to failsafe close and lock the doors if the airlock takes damage.

I currently have it doing that but it's a right pain in the arse. Guess I might have to learn to program it. I hate programming :(

• Locked thread