Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Empyrion looks fantastic, and it'll be interesting to see which winds up the better game. Space Engineers is behind it a bit, but they could still catch up if they can optimize the engine for bigger ships.

This. This game right here has given me the motivation to hook my desktop back up. It looks amazing!

Also, I'm pulling my lazy rear end out of game-retirement.

SE Servers will be polished up and relaunched by Friday.

Does ME have servers yet? Is there any interest in one?

zennik fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Servers are live again!

Click Here for Info

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

So fair warning for anyone on the goonserver, the server's set to delete starter ships when you logout. I went to play with a friend of mine earlier and didn't find the ship I'd built with Kermit. Well, I merged my starter turd with a friend's, made a little base out of that - and when I logged out, the ship ceased to exist around my friend.

So, uh, merge them into a station first and then re-make them into a ship to make it a 'not starter'.

There seriously should be a warning for that - in fact there used to be, but not anymore. KEEEEEENNNNNN.

It got stolen. We had it parked over at New GoonBase last I checked. We recovered it from someone.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Server patched!

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess what? You gotta update it again :v:

Updated... again...

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

See? Didn't you miss this?

Actually, its not as bad these days. I have the freedom to do more at work, which I did not have before.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

GotLag posted:

Do any of you guys play From the Depths? I saw a let's play of it on Youtube and bought it, and the builder is a bit intimidating. It does have actual combat and interesting AIs, though. It seems it'd be right up the alleys of a few posters in here.

I looked at it, and liked what I saw. However, it's single-player only, which limits the amount of fun for me.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Some kind of hotfix dropped.
No idea whats in it, no posted notes yet.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

LegoMan posted:

Unfortunately my laptop with 660M does not like the new planets mode with DX11 so I'm stuck playing asteroids. I get really bad framerate :(

That's odd. What resolution and graphics settings? What CPU? How much RAM?

I have a 660M in my machine I play on at work, and I can play at 1366x768 and 1440x900 without any problems with things cranked down a bit. It's a little sluggish the first 2 minutes or so in the game, and then it speeds up for me.

zennik fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 17, 2015

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

XkyRauh posted:

Check your Shadow quality. I was getting fps in the mid twenties trying to keep that maxed out. Turned it down to Medium and I'm at a much happier number now. :)

That, and latest drivers.
I know the stock windows update drivers absolutely SUCK with Space Engineers.
Also, texture quality. I know the top quality texture setting can be demanding. Knocking it down a notch will still look very nice and net an FPS increase.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

Wow planets are amazing. If I do an infinite world will planets be randomly spawned for it?

No. Right now planets are static. Depending on which universe you pick, it spawns one or several of a handful of pre-generated planets.

They might eventually do dynamically generated planets, but thats a ways out.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Totally possible. I have a large ship I hijacked from the workshop and then modified on my server that is completely reliant upon solar power, and stays afloat constantly on only solar on a 120 minute day cycle.

You just have to be careful about your weight distribution and thrusters. Always err on the side of caution and add a chunk more solar than you need, in case you're parked in partial shade, etc...

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

I will re-iterate. Weight distribution. I found this out the hard way when I was creating a hovering mining platform. When I had my drills offset to the 'front' the platform constantly tried to tumble forward, no matter how many thrusters I added. It was perfectly fine when I had it all situated coming from the middle of the platform, though.

I'm not sure if this is intentional, or just a hilarious result of some of the physics. But it was quite frustrating before I gave up and redesigned it.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Dryer Lint posted:

Do people still play engines in space?

Edit: Like on mumbles?

Not as many as there used to be, but a few of us still pop onto APTAA Mumble when we're on the server.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Patch is out

quote:

Features
- atmospheric thruster animations

Fixes
- fixed description of projector in control panel is overlaping
- fixed pirate drones are not flying away without guns
- fixed simcspeed slowdown when drilling
- fixed crash when grinding jumpdrive
- fixed stones having no physics
- fixed crash when when welding
- fixed crash when reloading world with mods
- fixed autopilot not working

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Truga posted:

The dedicated server is a bit of a shitshow right now where half of the things don't work, no doubt in large part due to netcode being crap and not getting touched in a long time as it's waiting for the ~next big rewrite~.

We've actually had pretty good luck with stability and such.
The biggest issue is lack of interest, and, thus, lack of attention on my part to keep an eye on it to make sure it runs smoothly.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

It was Zennik but he's been sort of away for a while now.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645798

Not away. Just busy as hell.

It's down to 1 server at the moment due to lack of interest(probably something to do with my being away).

Biggest problem is people poking me and letting me know when there are problems. It's been mostly Tuxide for the past couple of months.

If anyone wants to chip in and let me know when it's having problems or needs to be patched, that would smooth things along a bit.

Also, ideas for how to make things more fun?
I am perpetually entertained by building stuff to then smash into other stuff. So, having feedback on how to help make the server(s) enjoyable is always appreciated.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

AceClown posted:

Not sure if it has it's own thread but is anyone playing "Empyrion", it's just gone in to true alpha and looks pretty good.

Played it here and there. Very promising, but doesn't feel quite ready. Not as much to do, but it is improving!

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

quote:

Summary
Hey Engineers! In this week's update, we're bringing you a few important bug fixes. We fixed the autopilot not being able to turn itself off, and not being able to descend below 60 meters on Planets. We also fixed piston heads, rotor heads, and wheels detaching when reloading a world. Keep in mind that we're also working hard on optimizations and the netcode behind the scenes. This week we've also included something extra for modders - a Testing Tool and Animation Modding Tool.
Our new animation system includes the Animation Controller Editor, which allows modders to create animation controllers in a graphical user interface and even debug them live in the game. Keep in mind that for now, this tool is only for character animation modding.
Testing Tool is a simple application for recording and playing back a saved game. It was originally created for internal use to help us test scenarios and understand how things work in the game, but modders can use the tool to help them see how changes to their code, mods, or scripts can affect the outcome of a particular saved game. The tool can also be used by anyone who has a Keen Software House game to run and play back your games, and to give us your feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90oYhP2o-w

Features
- Testing tool: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682831151
- Animation Modding tool: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682814593

Fixes
- fixed rotors detached when paired with Landing Gear or safety lock
- fixed two music tracks playing at the same time
- fixed autopilot won't turn itself off
- fixed wheels fall off in planetary tutorial 4
- fixed new prefabs are not working in mods
- fixed camera shaking when in jetpack or passenger seat
- fixed different ship sound in passenger seat and remote next to each other
- fixed sensors detecting rotor top part as enemy
- fixed spawned as spectator when suffocating in cockpit

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

lilspooky posted:

Goddammit zennik! Neddy LIVES for Thursday to update the thread and you stole his thunder! :mad:

I waited and waited, and didn't see him post them!

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Evilreaver posted:

Quick technical question: my buddy tries to launch SE but the game tells him he doesn't have DirectX11; Microsoft says he does. Any quick fixes/common causes?

Dev Branch
Windows 10
16 GB RAM
NVidia "Newest, best video cards in SLI"

Getting any more system information from him is like pulling goddamn teeth so hopefully we can get something here.

Most likely bad/outdated drivers, or he's being prideful and instead of 'Newest, best' he actually has like, a 9800 or 260 or some crap in SLI.

Would be helpful to know the exact video cards he has.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

Remember Zennik's Putin It In? Yeah.

Speaking of.
Given the amazing improvements to netcode(at least as far as how my contraptions affect server performance), we've revived the Survival Server and I am rebuilding the Putin.

Running the stable branch atm, PGS thread can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803451

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Mercutio Martino posted:

Huzza. This is good news. I gotta ask though: is the planet supposed to be that small? Atmospheric landers spawn out in open space.
Mayhaps the APTAA Faction could have a base's GPS's coordinates listed on the SA forum?

I need to figure out how to tweak respawn ship spawn locations again. I started on a 'crashed red ship' map. The first planet is a 19km planet, there's also a 19km moon floating out there somewhere, as well as a max size planet.

I'll post coordinates in the PGS thread.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Firos posted:

Gotta be honest, I do prefer a crashed lander start or something like that than having everything already built but oh well :v:

Just the starting station.

Kept getting people spawning in respawn ships, scrapping them into another, rinse and repeat.

Doing that a bunch starts to slow the server down.

So, the APTAA Base has all the basics needed to get out and start mining.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Ambaire posted:

Aaaand that's why you set an MOTD and put some server rules, like... no farming of respawn ships for materials or have your stuff deleted / get banned. It's a fairly common server rule.

Or, I keep doing what I'm working on now, which is figuring out how this new fork of SESE works and just create a plugin that limits the number of 'respawn' ships per person to 1.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

McGiggins posted:

What are the chances of ever having more than 5 people in a server concurrently though?

When APTAA was at it's prime, we regularly had about a dozen people on at a time.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

Remember when we were just figuring out GCVs and the most hilarious thing was hiding an extra small thruster on your buddy's ride, pointed at the main cargo pod?

It took me so long to figure that one out, bastards.

Remember the GMV + asteroid buttplug mineral collector?

I found that save file recently. Talk about nostalgia.

That's when it was still running as a purchased second copy of the game on my TV Box since they didn't have dedicated servers yet.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Bhodi posted:

Doing my regular 6 month checkin, are there any sort of 'campaigns' or modded starts that give more of a survival-mode handheld objective-driven story yet? Looking for a 'wake up in a ruined ship' or 'crash-landed and need to get back into orbit' type scenarios where the gameplay is a little more than just 'go mine this ice patch 2km away' or 'gather materials in chests to repair broken asteroid'. I'm still interested to see what the game has to offer, but sandbox spaceships just never grabbed me beyond a few hours. But the dev still updates years later, so I have hope!

Yes.

There is a single player tutorial/campaign that they've wrapped into the game now that's a pretty decent example of the scripting engine and what you can do with it.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

McGiggins posted:

I'm refitting a Hiigaran Carrier I found on the workshop to be more Carrier and less Transport. Hopefully I'll remember to blueprint it and save it to my workshop before I log off.

If new mp netcode is good, are folks wanting to go hogmad on a high pop server?

Would love to get some shenanigans going. I miss gooning it up in SE. Fell out of touch with most of you guys.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

McGiggins posted:

Bitch I'm still steam friends with aptaa host account.

I'm gonna try and get some more work on this carrier done tomorrow.

I've got it laid out so it's a full survival ready vanilla ship. It fits 4 or 5 very big small grid bombers on a single launchbay rail that extends half the length of the ship, 3 or 4 very big small grid corvette gunships from the side frigate bay that can all launch at the same time, two reusable probes in the top bay, and a hollow middle section for utility, miners and other craft, and the mobile cargorefineries attach beneath. Everything is full hydrogen, but the carrier itself is ion for everything but rear thrust.

The rationale behind the reformatted design is that the carrier acts as a lightly defended jump capable mobile station that is always in Large Ship grid mode. Jump in a few ks away from the target, everyone jumps into their disposable bomber/fighter/corvette craft of choice, die gloriously, easily and instantly reprint everything lost. For ease of micromanagement, refineries, assemblersand other system stuff will be managed by the friendly carrier AI, TIM. All craft are remote controllable and also directly pilot-able. Basically Combat Goonrush.

The bombers (directfire) and corvettes (turrets) are all heavy armour, should be easily piston-printed, and I'm looking into wedging a single full large grid frigate into the port bay. (Might move the corvettes elsewhere or into the middle bay of need be, the utility stuff could all be attached underneath via the mobile refinery.)

If I throw up a workshop blueprint/creative server at about Thursday 7th 11am AEST, would anyone be willing to take a look and make some recommendations? I've had some serious problems with making decent lighting that doesnt also tank fps in such a large structure, as well as figuring out how to cram in all the features I want. Still gotta design and find a place for the fixed gun-platforms storage and printer.

I have zero expectations of these designs actually being used in any group play, but it's been fun to try to design a carrier in several constraints:

Designed as a carrier for groupplay

Designed to be a most-in-one mobile base that serves all its needs and still can be used without ruining a server.

And lastly: follows a kickass design theme for both baseship and subcraft AND fulfills all the capabilities of the source ship design.

sent you a steam friend request from my main account, accept plz

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

I remember this was back when I last played, so before planets. I think it was red, pink, and blue, with a gold ring. Nothing special, just a half a hull at the time. I really wish I still had the pic, but I know we posted about it in the previous thread, whatever happened to that. I don't have archives to go looking.

I still remember the first server. Running on my damned media PC in my living room, on a second copy of SE because there wasnt a dedicated server yet.

In fact, I STILL have that very first world file.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Anyone interested in reviving a goon SE server and/or pillaging pubbie servers should all meet up on discord:

https://discord.gg/fA5YFns

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

APTAA Server is up. Mods and various crap is still up for discussion/modification.

Server IP: 66.225.198.228:28015

Hosted out of Chicago.

Once we've ironed out exactly how we want this setup, i'll draft up an official post for PGS.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

Sweet, I'll join sometime later this evening. In other news, I found a couple pics of the goatse ship I was talking about :

That's you, flying your ship right up the wazoo. Along with that pic, I found a pic of my old cockship:

If I recall correctly, it was designed to pick up ore that was mined and left to float. I think at the time, we had set up some miners that basically had no cargo, and would vomit their ores out into space in a line behind them. the cockship had gravity generators in those arms that would catch and funnel the ores into the shaft, which would move them to storage in the balls. And when the cockship filled up, it could shoot the ores out the tip or dock somewhere via that point and unload.

Looking forward to building more classy loving ships like that. :tipshat:

EDIT: Zennik, what's your steam name? If you're the Zennik I think you are, then Steam says you haven't been online in 200 days.

Incorrect account! I have a few.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/horatio42/

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

I do have that account on my list as well, so that's good.

And I added you as well. For anyone else who wants to add me, I'm THE WORST GUY ON THE TEAM on Steam.

I don't have you on MY list though. That or you're not neogeo on Steam. Message me.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Danny Glands posted:

Will this server be listed in PGS soon?

Once I'm done sorting out how I want it setup. I'm having issues getting asteroids to spawn with the host I'm using right now. Might just dust off a server and host it at work again.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Updated IP, the host in Chicago wasn't doing so great.

104.143.77.69:28015

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

PGS Thread is up!

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, I think this may well be the dumbest thing I've ever made.

Behold;

THE WHACKY WONDER BOUNCY BALL! Push the button, and off it goes!

It does its best to bounce away from players for a full minute before shutting down, unless someone manages to tap the button to keep it going.

Just hope that it doesn't stop while up in the air.

The game doesn't sound interesting enough. It needs laser turrets that fire at anyone near it whenever it's in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

New MP code is live! APTAA has been updated!

Click here for server info!

• Locked thread