Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
That war hammer mod is cool and I don't know much about 40k. It runs really slowly however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Didn't someone mention a mod to make the Byzantines easier to break up? Because god dang they are annoying.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Breaking up the Byzantines just means they'll get gobbled up by the Abassids/Seljuks.

Well, something that breaks up non-catholic blobs then because for some reason Europe won't blob like what yet the Byzantines and Musselmen have zero problem being and staying huge.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Node posted:

The start date sucks. It only makes AI blobs blob even blobbier. I mean, the entirety of western Europe sans Iberia is under only two kingdom titles.

I find the opposite, Europe at that start date is super fractured when Charlie croaks

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why can't I give a kingdom to my Grand Mayor? I'm an emperor dammit

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Yo does anybody know a good way to switch a culture from West Slavic to German? I'm playing as the Bohemians based out of Prague, but I've managed to create the Empire of Germania and I like the look of those tasty jousting lists a lot more than beefed-up light cav.

Also it kinda makes sense that the German Empire would be German.

Move your capital to a german province

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Hadaka Apron posted:

What Merchant republics have you made in your games? I had one in Basra in my Saffarid game and one in Murcia in my Basque Spanish game.

I made one in Gotland that had the whole of the Baltic / England and Northern Europe in its trade zome

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Goofballs posted:

For me the nightmare scenario is usually not if I attack him who are his allies? but instead he attacks me, lol get rekt scrub, that didn't move the board at all?, omg thats 2 20k doomstacks coming over the horizon, how the gently caress do you even know them?

Playing these ironman games has made me a way more conservative player. I'm not willing to go to the necessary lengths to cheat the game while keeping ironman because gently caress it. I have taken an easier road in my most recent one as Byzantine emperor Viking start. Trust me you can gently caress it up. If you attack the caliph he goes straight to his final form and doubles his stack like that and omg do they refresh fast. Earlier I imprisoned and executed my infant son on birth because he was born in the purple and there was no way my emperor was making to 86. get rekt nub. Now I have a slightly poo poo heir but at least his diplomacy is good. Please have a genius heir with the expensive wife I bought you, you naive appeaser rear end in a top hat

This game made me look up the orthodox christian religion and read how they are different to Catholics. So education happened. Previously they were just sad losers and now they are sad losers distinct from catholics but the more you know!

Oh and that devil child thing came up, that murdered like half the dynasty. I'm so glad the first dude had like a bajillion children so it couldnt go all the way to the stop. She had -20 diplomacy last I checked.

Devil child gets plus a billion to all its stats when it becomes king/emperor whatever, so sucks to be you

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, Wrath of the Khans. It's made me pretty excited for this expansion pack. Does it fulfill those expectations?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I haven't played since before the Horse Lords, how was that expansion? Has a lot changed? Are big empires any less stable or do the Byzantines always get super huge still

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Sharmat posted:

If people would play start dates besides Charlemagne, Old Gods, and 1066 they'd see the Byzantines fall apart more often. I wish I'd started exploring different start dates sooner.

Because I like playing the game for the full amount of time possible and playing as/with Vikings

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Sharmat posted:

Have you seriously ever taken a game from the Charlemagne start date to 1453 or whatever the ending is?

Yeah but i usually get bored when the game starts to chug super hard around 1400 or so, before i stopped i'd been playing as Norse invaders making all kinda crazy viking states in weird places like serbia or northern spain, which is difficult and takes forever especially if you dont' use prepared invasion. But its really fun and i wish there were more varied early start dates like with the 1066 options!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is CK+ still bad?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Trogdos! posted:

Harald is 42 years old and has three decent sons, with the firstborn nominated as heir and also supported by the realm. Third son joined the Varangian Guard recently. Elective gavelkind is new to me, I assume the nomination just picks the family member I will play as, and my lands will be split beetween the three sons like normal Gavelkind.

The Karling blob seems quite stable, they stamp out rebellions very quickly. I'm not a very good CK2 player so I don't really know how I can tackle them. I guess I'm going to have to go conquer the Baltic and hope that the other Norse rulers get their poo poo together.

Go raiding in England with a young character, get tons of prestige, raise ten tribal armies and stomp the karlings into splinters

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
You used to be able to turn a tribal vassal feudal by giving him a castle, does it not work that way

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

GlitchThief posted:

Well, I just finished my first game of Crusader Kings II. Started as the Count of Dublin and went on to unite Ireland, conquer Scotland, and take a decent bite out of brytho... britu... Wales. Took forever though. I had read some advice that suggested coasting on speed 3, but given it took me like 50 hours to wrap up that game I'll probably go up a notch next time.

Overall though, I ended up very engaged by the game once I had figured out a few of the systems. This thread was immeasurably helpful. I can tell I still have a lot more to learn too.

It's a good game but you should definitely not listen to whoever told you that and you should definitely play on speed 5. Save 3 for wars

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Sharmat posted:

Has anyone ever seen an AI tribal become a merchant republic?

Yeah

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Sharmat posted:

Tell me more.

it was a while back, before horse lords, but one of the Russian tribal states became a republic. I want to say Ruthenia? They were basically Novgorod under a different name. This was with me nearby playing as a Viking Lithuania.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I never really understood this thread's hatred for the karlings until my current game as Norse to Norman Germanic Aquitaine.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Also I made the fylkirate a duke level theocracy to kinda make it like the papacy or patriarchate but the title was destroyed next time I checked, did the duke-godi just get unlucky or does the title not pass on like the papacy?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Buschmaki posted:

The Fylkirate is like the Caliphate and it passes to your heir, right? You might've hosed it up by granting it to someone else.

I figured it would just pass to his heir. Oh well

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Gorelab posted:

So is the duchy of Aragon supposed to be de jure Andalusia or do I have a weird bug? It seems like a weird thing to be part of that kingdom.

Might've drifted

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I've only had unfaithful spouses maybe 3-4 times I've played, and that's probably 1 per dynasty. I didn't really play when it was rampant so :shrug:

Yeah me too I've been playing a lot this Christmas (I hate my parents) and I have only seen it once in around 200 years. To my characters anywya, every now and then I'll see a random lady courier with like lovers pox or something and I'm like you slut.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I miss Salic and semisalic consanguinity

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

skipThings posted:

well, I am a lazy masochist who doesn't want to bother to learn console spells

if everyones answer is just "learn to have fun like me/differently" it won't win me over

You should try candy crush it's a good game.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Drone posted:

So in my reformed Romuva game, my current High Priest is unlanded (and resides in Stettin apparently, which is both Catholic and outside my borders, but whatever.) If I grant him a county or duchy and then independence, will he effectively become akin to the Papal states? Or will the landed title go to his kid on his death while the High Priest title gets picked up by someone else?

I tried to do that with the fylkirate (Norse high priest pope) and the title was destroyed the next time I looked for him so be careful

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Drone posted:

Is there really a downside to just de jure drifting vast swathes of land into my primary title? My Lithuania game has been expanding pretty slowly. I've de jure drifted all of Poland into Lithuania so the title doesn't exist anymore (just to see if you could actually do that and yep, you can). I'm expanding eastward now but not able to do it fast enough to prevent Ruthenian/Russian duchies from drifting because of the massive nomadic hordes.

Is the only real downside that I'll have a harder time forming an Empire, since for that you need to have two King titles?

Three!!! I did the same thing in my first game actually, took over lithuania and pommerania as a norse dynasty and disappeared pommerania thru de jure drift. Lithuanian crown in that game stretched from finland to fukken denmark along the southern baltic coast, sh*t was t*ght as heck.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
This is probably a weird question, but are there any mods that make the eight century start turn out more historical? Like not exactly the 1066 scenario when it gets there but SOME of the same actors would be cool especially if they weren't a weird patch quilt of nonsense

Also am I remembering wrong or didn't the HRE used to have special mechanics, is it just an elective empire?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yes, this, this I like.

There are some really interesting screenshots on Paradox's store page too.

I like the status of women law that's pretty neat although a little odd to abstract like that

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
CK2+ is still pretty fun, imo
I played it back when Wiz was in charge and have avoided it for a long time because goons said it was bad after he left but it's still neat. Really fleshes out the faction system, makes them much less boring and binary

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ck2+ has cadet branches actually tho I've yet to see one form

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Where does the game keep files for workshop downloads? Trying to put more culture conversion events like the Norse -> Norman swap in French territory into CK2+. I like those

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Shnooks posted:

I uninstalled and reinstalled it after deleting all the files and still no luck. Goddamn they really don't want me to log achievements.

Now you'll just have to play the game for the sheer fun of it I guess :(

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is there a mod that improves the Charlemagne start? I'd especially like more culture melting pot / conversion events like the Norse to Normans stuff

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Gosh dang it this expansion is garbage. Knew i shoulda waited until a sale. I mean it'll get fixed eventually like all p-dox games but it stings a little to get bit in the buttocks like they used to do all the time.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

a7m2 posted:

The new DLC got a lot of really bad reviews on Steam. Are the issues people had with it actual issues and/or resolved yet?

Yes no. It's a garbage expansion, avoid until they fix it

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Sorry groogy this expansion is garbage. What were you thinking man

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

CharlestheHammer posted:

The mechanics are fine and honestly should be expanded not rolled back.

Wrong

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why do I still have the sheik title as an Armenian miaphysite count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Who's your liege?